PDA

View Full Version : Can you use just a little from box dye and save the rest?

DarleneH
March 8th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I can use just a fraction of the amount in a box of dye to cover up the little bit of grey I have and still save the rest of the stuff for next time. Can those chemicals be saved for future uses after being opened? It costs just as much for a whole box as for the tiny amount you get in a root touch-up kit so it would be more economical if I can get multiple uses out of regular size box dye.

wilderwein
March 8th, 2015, 11:50 AM
You could use a bowl to mix half of the ingredients (or the amount you want anyway) and leave the rest in their original pack without mixing them, that way it can be stored

Nique1202
March 8th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you'd just have to take so much of the stuff already in the bottle out and either mix what you need in a bowl and apply with a brush OR use what's left in the bottle, wash it (so there's no more of the mixture in it at all) and then put back the stuff you took out earlier.

Alternatively, you could possibly find a deposit dye that doesn't involve any mixing of developers and stuff and just use what you need of it, depending on the colour you're going for.

DarleneH
March 8th, 2015, 01:04 PM
OK, cool. I think I need something like proportions or measures of each part. For example, 2 teaspoons dye to 4 teaspoons of developer or something like that.

wilderwein
March 8th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Its usually one part to one part, when I used to bleach/dye my hair I was buying seperate hair dyes and hair developers (couse it was cheaper that way) and at some point I wouldn't even measure, I was trying to do a mixure with good texture that wouldnt be too runny or too thick. I would suggest you tho if you want to safe money to stop buying box dyes and just the tubes with the color with some developer.

Breanna
March 8th, 2015, 01:17 PM
It might be easier to just get some deposit only dye like from Adore, that way you won't have to do any mixing and measuring and it'll keep as long as you need it. It might be cheaper too :)

Rosetta
March 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM
OK, cool. I think I need something like proportions or measures of each part. For example, 2 teaspoons dye to 4 teaspoons of developer or something like that.
The proportions are usually given in the box, it's mostly 1:1, but not always, so make sure you check that! (Or if the ratio is not given like that, you can see it from the amounts, for example 60 ml dye and 60 ml developer, that's obviously 1:1.)

Though I second the deposit-only dye suggestions, much easier ;)

RancheroTheBee
March 8th, 2015, 02:12 PM
There's a company called Wella, and they sell their dye and developer separately so it's easy to only use a small amount of dye at the same time. You can find it in barber supply shops, or at least I did. :)