PDA

View Full Version : salon deep conditioning treatments

cdonald2
March 8th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had experience in salon deep conditioning treatments.

I was thinking of getting them to hold me off of trims since they are so inexpensive (great clips)

If anyone has any knowledge or experience, let me know please :) i dont want to pay for someone putting a not super effective conditioner in my hair.... If a shower cap and vo5 conditioner works just as well, why would i pay someone else to do it?

Are there things in salon grade deep conditions that most people cant get access to unless its from a salon? I know it typically works this way with dyes. Meaning, salon dye is better (as far as i know) than boxs dyes...

so, yeah, are these deep conditioners any good?

slynr
March 8th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had experience in salon deep conditioning treatments.

I was thinking of getting them to hold me off of trims since they are so inexpensive (great clips)

If anyone has any knowledge or experience, let me know please :) i dont want to pay for someone putting a not super effective conditioner in my hair.... If a shower cap and vo5 conditioner works just as well, why would i pay someone else to do it?

Are there things in salon grade deep conditions that most people cant get access to unless its from a salon? I know it typically works this way with dyes. Meaning, salon dye is better (as far as i know) than boxs dyes...

so, yeah, are these deep conditioners any good?
I personally haven't found any salon deep conditioning treatments to provide anything that a home treatment cannot.

endlessly
March 8th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Personally, I think they're a waste of money no matter how inexpensive they may seem. If you really want a good deep conditioning treatment, slather your hair with an oil of your choice, wear a shower cap or wrap in a scarf and let it sit all day - trust me, it's much more effective. Or, just let your conditioner soak into your hair a bit longer while you shower or bathe.

Now, if you go to a salon specializing in treating long hair or treating drier hair, that's another story all together. I just don't think Great Clips is honestly worth it, I'm not a big fan of them at all. But, do your research and ask around. There are tons of natural at-home deep conditioner recipes that have been shared on this forum and they're typically pretty inexpensive.

My favorite treatment is from Lush called 'Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze' - it's a huge pot and it takes me about 5-6 months typically to go through all of it, so at $22.95, it isn't that expensive. I slather my dry hair with it, cover with a plastic cap, and let it sit while I do housework - in the end, I have gorgeous, moisturized, silky soft hair. And, I didn't have to leave the comfort of my own home, which is a plus.

Agnieszka
March 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM
I had them done many times in a past and I don't think they any better than stuff available in a drugstore or online. ( I like joico for deep treatments which I buy on amazon) The thing is, when you go to the hairdresser and have full experience your hair is always going to look great as they are very skilled with blowdrying and have really powerful dryers.

meteor
March 8th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I had them done many times in a past and I don't think they any better than stuff available in a drugstore or online. ( I like joico for deep treatments which I buy on amazon) The thing is, when you go to the hairdresser and have full experience your hair is always going to look great as they are very skilled with blowdrying and have really powerful dryers.

^This! These days you can find practically any product you want yourself. I found that the biggest results from treatments at salons came from their expert use of blow-drying and styling products. So it's really not so much about your hair being "deep treated" as it is about styling it well. Styling can make even severely damaged hair suddenly look great, so don't be fooled.

I would probably go back to a salon for an Olaplex treatment or something like that, but other than that - nah, I'm not going back to salons... I've experienced way too much horrible brushing there (ripping a brush from roots to tips), burning my scalp with a blow-dryer (!), and constant whining about how too thick or long my hair is and how they want to give me layers or more highlights or whatever, argh! :lol:

cdonald2
March 8th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Ah, thats what i figured, glas i asked. Endlessly, where do you find your conditioner? i need something to really soak in.

Avis
March 8th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I like overnight oiling and SMTs. SMTs are pretty cheap since you already have conditioner and honey is not too expensive/serves other purposes. I found a small bottle of clear aloe vera gel in the travel-sized aisle at Target so it might not be too hard to find. I know on the SMT thread there are lots of other variations to the recipe without AVG if you can't find it. Good luck. :)

lapushka
March 8th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Pantene has a few overnight conditioners. Try and look into that, maybe?

höpönasu
March 8th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I've read in one of my local salon's homepage that they do hair treatments, no further info though. I refuse to go and ask what they actually are because I bet they'll talk me into something I don't want to do, I'm bad at saying no. :laugh: Yeah, but I can't imagine them treatments being only oils, probably some brand treatments.

StellaKatherine
March 8th, 2015, 10:51 PM
The only real benefit I could see, would be getting a head massage... That would b a true treatment for me, just to lie there and let someone else massage my scalp... Ohhhh... Yeah, I would love that :D

tigress86
March 9th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I have tried Joico 4 step treatment at the salon. It was good, but nothing special, I could have gotten the same results at home.

sweetestpoison
March 10th, 2015, 09:32 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with the majority here. I'm a cosmetologist and while i have several other stylist friends who swear their clients hair is easier to do when a deep conditioning treatment is done, and talk almost every client into getting one, i have never noticed a difference. The best deep conditioning i've ever done to my hair is (as others have said on this thread) working oil through the hair. I like to use a whipped blend of coconut oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin e oil and jasmine essential oil. It's good for the hands at night too.