PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to oil scalp?

Obsidian
March 7th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Does anyone have a simple way to get oil on the scalp instead of the hair. I dip my finger tips in the oil then try to rub it into my skin but not much makes it past my hair. Even if I section my hair and make a part, most ends up on my hair. I don't mind it in my hair but it needs to get on my dry scalp too.

Not Lynn Merely
March 7th, 2015, 05:21 PM
You may need one of those applicator bottles with the long tips. Something like THESE (http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=applicator%20bottle) or THESE (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A3784161%2Ck%3Aapplicator+bottle&keywords=applicator+bottle&ie=UTF8&qid=1425773988&rnid=2941120011). Then you can draw thin oil lines on your scalp and use your fingers to get them all worked in.

meteor
March 7th, 2015, 06:06 PM
You may need one of those applicator bottles with the long tips. Something like THESE (http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=applicator%20bottle) or THESE (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A3784161%2Ck%3Aapplicator+bottle&keywords=applicator+bottle&ie=UTF8&qid=1425773988&rnid=2941120011). Then you can draw thin oil lines on your scalp and use your fingers to get them all worked in.
Seconding applicator bottles. :agree:
Alternatively, a dropper could be helpful.

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Yep both those suggestions are good. I tried the applicator bottle but I think I got a dodgy one as my oil blend kind of melted it and the oil developed a really plastic toxic smell. I've been nervous of them since then but if you can find one that doesn't do that they are so convenient. I've tried the dropper bottle too and that was good but the applicator bottle so far has been the best. These days I just make do with my fingers but my hair isn't thick so I think that makes it easier to get to the scalp, that and LOTS of massaging!

Obsidian
March 7th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Those bottles are a great idea, they have the ones for ketchup at the grocery store. ChloeDharma, did your oil blend have essential oil in it? EO's can melt plastic.

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Oh yes, it certainly did! Lol. I suspected they may have been a big factor. The thing is, for me essential oils are part of the scalp oiling thing so I seem to be stuck with my fingers. Though I could use the bottle for castor oil alone maybe? Are carrier oils safe with general plastic bottles if you don't add EO's then?

kidari
March 7th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I think a glass dropper would be useful. They're usually tinted amber or cobalt blue and the dropper and the bottle are both glass, so they're great for EOs. (Just be sure to use them diluted if you're using them on your scalp). You could use the dropper to dispense it in clean lines on your scalp but it wouldn't be as convenient as an applicator bottle to use to part your hair with.

Obsidian
March 7th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Yes, carrier oils are safe in plastic bottles. Its only when you add EO's that you'll have a problem.

endlessly
March 7th, 2015, 10:11 PM
What has worked best for me since my hair likes to soak up the oil before my scalp gets the chance is to:

1.) Section hair into several smal braids making very clean lines along the scalp using a hair stick. It also helps to make the braids looser by your scalp.

2.) Using an applicator bottle (I read several others make this suggestion as well) I picked up from Sally's Beauty Supply (only around $2-$3, so nothing too pricey), apply the oil of choice directly along the open lines between braids.

3.) Since the braids are loose at the scalp, you can then gentle massage the oil not only into the clean parts you've made between the braids, but also into the braids as well.

When I do choose to do an oil treatment on my scalp, this method always works best for me - limited mess, keeps my hair tangle-free since sometimes oil can be a nightmare on tangles, and gets the oil only where you truly want it. Best of luck!

Aspsusa
March 8th, 2015, 04:51 AM
I use a medicated thingy on my scalp (Resorcinol in mostly alcohol, my scalp doesn't seem to mind), and I use a plastic pipette like this (http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Transfer-Pipettes-Gradulated-Pack/dp/B005IQTSE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425811424&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+pipettes). The good thing about it is that even though my solution is very very low viscosity it stays in the pipette unless I apply a teensy bit of pressure. About one pipetteful (about 2.5-3ml) is usually enough for my scalp.

Oil might be hard to clean out of a plastic pipette though. I'm guessing you'd need a few alcohol rinses (pumping it a few times in a small mug of rubbing alcohol, then one last squirt of clean spirits).

MINAKO
March 8th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Im using empty contact lens solution bottles, really like the dropper on there and the travel size bottles allow me to make smaller batches of oil mixes.

AlexDig
March 8th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I use an old angled makeup brush, dipped in the oil. I just part the hair in sections and dab in each section with the brush. Then I just use my fingertips to massage everything in. Super easy, I get great control with the amounts, and definitely not messy :-)

slynr
March 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I use an old angled makeup brush, dipped in the oil. I just part the hair in sections and dab in each section with the brush. Then I just use my fingertips to massage everything in. Super easy, I get great control with the amounts, and definitely not messy :-)

Thats a great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Hairkay
March 8th, 2015, 03:04 PM
My scalp gets oiled when I'm having a bath with a little oil in it and I dunk my head. That way I don't end up with too much.

MINAKO
March 8th, 2015, 03:33 PM

Thats a very ladylike way to apply your oils. Mine are occasionally dripping down my face to be honest, but my hair does take the excess rather well.

AlexDig
March 8th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Thats a great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! Hope it works for you too!

AlexDig
March 8th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Thats a very ladylike way to apply your oils. Mine are occasionally dripping down my face to be honest, but my hair does take the excess rather well.

Ha! Well, you're lucky that works for you. My fine hair can only handle that occasionally! And really only with castor oil...

lapushka
March 8th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Maybe using an applicator bottle (as was said) or a simple dropper even!

höpönasu
March 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Application bottles, I don't have one but I do just fine with either applying with a spoon directly on scalp or dipping my other hands' fingertips on oil and parting the hair with other hand.

-Fern
March 8th, 2015, 08:40 PM
What has worked best for me since my hair likes to soak up the oil before my scalp gets the chance is to:

1.) Section hair into several smal braids making very clean lines along the scalp using a hair stick. It also helps to make the braids looser by your scalp.

2.) Using an applicator bottle (I read several others make this suggestion as well) I picked up from Sally's Beauty Supply (only around $2-$3, so nothing too pricey), apply the oil of choice directly along the open lines between braids.

3.) Since the braids are loose at the scalp, you can then gentle massage the oil not only into the clean parts you've made between the braids, but also into the braids as well.

When I do choose to do an oil treatment on my scalp, this method always works best for me - limited mess, keeps my hair tangle-free since sometimes oil can be a nightmare on tangles, and gets the oil only where you truly want it. Best of luck!

Thanks, Aspusa! I did this tonight and it made my "inversion" oil + scalp massage very easy. I didn't have an applicator bottle, but since I had scalp cleavage between the braids (I did about four cornrow sections on each side of my head), I was able to get my fingertips against the scalp really nicely.... and I left the braids loose at the base, too, so #3 worked nicely!

FurryLady
March 11th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I like to use butters or balms (oils plus beeswax) for my scalp which aren't fluid at room temperature. That makes it easier to aply. If I need to use fluid oils I try to use as little as possible. Your fingertips shouldn't feel wet or drip from the oil. This method is pretty slow but it works for me.