PDA

View Full Version : Protecting hair from hockey goalie equipment?

hananabread
March 6th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone. This is the first time that I am posting. I hope I am posting correctly.
I play goalie on a hockey team, and I am having trouble with my hair. At the moment, I am wearing my hair in a dutch braid with a T-shirt tied on my head to prevent the hard wear in the helmet from snagging my hair. I wear protecive gear that has Velcro at the nape of my neck that creates knots and pulls my braid out. I have tried wearing a sleep cap under the T-shirt and it works very well, but it slips off within a few minutes. I know that it is a long shot, but does anyone else here play goalie for a hockey team and have any ideas for protecting hair from the equipment?
Thank you!

brickworld13
March 6th, 2015, 02:58 PM
What is the velcro doing? I don't want to provide a solution that would make it less safe for your head, but it will keep snagging if we can't protect your hair from it.

hananabread
March 6th, 2015, 03:47 PM
The velcro adjusts the chest protector and neck guard. In the future if I can purchase my own gear it may not be as much of an issue, but for now it is adjusted to be small because it is too big so the velcro folds completely with some left over on the end. Does that make sense? Sorry if it was confusing!

Nadine <3
March 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM
The velcro adjusts the chest protector and neck guard. In the future if I can purchase my own gear it may not be as much of an issue, but for now it is adjusted to be small because it is too big so the velcro folds completely with some left over on the end. Does that make sense? Sorry if it was confusing!

Can you wrap a bandanna or some sort of fabric around the Velcro so it can't grab your hair? Maybe try bunning the end of the braid as well so it's up and out of the way. Spin pins work great for this, and hold extremely well. Maybe not so great if you have a helmet though, but worth a try.

ooglipoo
March 6th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Yea for hockey. When I played I was defense, so not full coverage. But my hair was still in the way, and I preferred to wear it in two dutch braids. That made my helmet fit better and be less wiggly/wonky.

I wonder, what about putting on a shirt with a hood, putting the hood up, then doing the chest and neck pieces. The T-shirt hood would protect all that hair if you kept it up, or even if you let it flop back down and then put your jersey on over that.

My kids have some shirts with hoods on them, made out of knit. My Mom has one... but I haven't seen one in stores lately. Maybe at a thrift shop? Or, if you don't think it would be too hot, a hoody?

Or, what about a buff? Could you just put it around your neck and then pull it up, put on the equipment, then pull it down over the equipment to kind of cover it?

hananabread
March 6th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! I think I will try all the suggestions here or a combination of them until I find something that works :)