PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering some color...

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I've been trying pretty hard now to grow out virgin hair, but its getting harder and harder ad the line that separates my virgin mousy brown hair and my flaming bleached orangy hair becomes more apparent.

Do you think a semi-perm color would be over all terribly damaging if I went with a nice warm brown color? Kinda like Arwen?

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Semi and demi perms might be the best. Since you say your hair is bleached, there's a good chance it might grab onto and hang onto even a temporary dye, so your best bet might be to find a nice brown temporary dye (Manic panic, for instance, makes two shades of a natural brown) and start there, before trying a semi perm (or perm) dye.

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Since your hair is already two toned I would do a strand test with what ever product you do decide to use. A hair color product could make the different colors still different just a different shade. My guess which is just a guess is you would need to apply it to the orange length for the whole time and the top darker parts for maybe the last 5 to 10 mins to get an even color or maybe not at all depending on the shade you go with.

The processed hair could grab fast and go dark so the processing time could be very short any way. So to make a long story short it is very important to do a strand test and check it every 5 mins.

icydove
March 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
There are longhairs here who dye successfully. However, I sparingly used semi-permanent dye before LHC (we're talking once a year), and it majorly damaged my hair. I guess it comes down to how good of shape your hair is in now and how traumatic it would be if you have to cut because of damage.

You could try a level 1 dye, which usually isn't as damaging. You might also consider doing a one-time permanent dye (professionally done, if possible, to ensure color matching) to match your natural color to keep you from having to do repeated semi-permanent dye jobs.

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
All excellent points. You've successfully talked me out of it. =)

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Have you thought about trying a color conditioner on your hair that might tone down the brassy color a little on the length. You could try a devacare no poo that might do the trick its very gentle and it does color some without any damage.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 04:19 AM
MAYBE use some henna and ingido to dye the bottom half to match the regrowth? That isn't damaging, just do strand tests to make sure it blends well. All it can do it make the demarkation line more subtler....i would avoid the virgin hair so that you don't have to wait another year for 100% virgin hair.
I'm in the same boat!!! :)

savi
March 25th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Now don't laugh at me for suggesting this but.. You could try using some candy/foodcolor mixed to some conditioner. Mix it up until you got the rigt shade you need and leave it on for a while. Besides that I some times use a color depositing dye. Which would be my number one choise.

Kelsey
March 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Did you take some of the color out of your hair, or dye it a different color. I have heard that foils/ highlights can actually be good for your hair, as it can make it more coarse/ strong.