PDA

View Full Version : S and D

honeybee
October 1st, 2008, 02:20 AM
Hello!

So I have read about S and D on LHC.

Since I am growing out hair, I generally trim them every one and a half month. And I have lots of layers, so I just first section them all off and put in lots off clips, and then take each section and trim every hair by two millimeters roughly.

Although I never see any split ends in my hair, I do trim them all because I have felt that they begin to grow out soon after I do this. Am I sabotaging my growth? Because I want to achieve waist length as soon as possible! And I have noticed that this time it has been above 6 weeks and my hair has stopped growing, I was planning a trim this weekend.

How do I do S and D if I cant see any split ends? Maybe they stop growing just because they're dry at the end?

Aditi
October 1st, 2008, 04:06 AM
If you don't see any split-ends in your hair then you should not trim them. Many of the members over here don't prefer to do trimming unless its really necessary to do so. There was very short period of time between two trims, there is one golden rule in trimming "IF YOU DON'T SEE IT, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T TRIM IT". What you can do now is stop your regular trimming and wait till you start seeing split-ends. Your hair will grow out eventually have patience.

Arctic_Mama
October 1st, 2008, 04:12 AM
One of the best tips I was given for trimming with layers is to section the hair, maybe a 1-2 inch section at a time, make sure the hair is dry and then twist it fairly tightly. The shorter hairs will stick out. ONLY trim the short hairs that show signs of damage, the others are fine! I wouldn't do this more than once a month if you're not seeing any visible damage but this is a solid way to make SURE you're not missing any splits under the canopy or in the back.

Are you making sure to use scissors meant specifically for hair and not normal 'house' or office scissors (like the ones with the orange handles)? If you use dull scissors on your hair you could actually be damaging it worse as it won't cut the cuticle cleanly. You can go to most beauty supply places and all over the internet to find an inexpensive pair of hair shears fairly cheap. As long as you sharpen them occasionally and only use them for hair you should be golden :)

starla_zero
October 1st, 2008, 06:58 AM
You're so lucky not to get any! I agree, if you see no signs of damage, no need to cut :)

One of the best tips I was given for trimming with layers is to section the hair, maybe a 1-2 inch section at a time, make sure the hair is dry and then twist it fairly tightly. The shorter hairs will stick out.

That is great advice, I section my hair to S&D but I never thought about twisting it before, I just hold it straight and run it through my fingers a few times. Will be twisting from now on :)

Arctic_Mama
October 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Glad to help, it's ridiculously simple :)

honeybee
October 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the tip. I do use scissors meant only for hair, but don't sharpen them. I used to hold sections in my fingers and snip off all hairs. Last trim was one and half months ago, and seeing hard today also, I cant find any split ends whatsoever. I will try twisting and checking today. :)

But why do I notice that it starts growing after trimming even though it's not damaged? I didn't understand that one, still I wont trim this time. :) Thanks for your help ladies!