PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Coronet Braid

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I'm having the same problem every time I put my hair in a coronet with either 1 or 2 braids - they always slide throughout the day. I use claw-clips to pin them down. They sag either forward or backward over time. I even used a few tricks: like starting with accent braids to give more grip where claw-clips will go or doing a half-up bun on the crown to give the coronet braid some support and prevent it from sliding back... still they slide... :justy:
I know hair taping would solve this problem, but I don't have a yarn needle.

Please share your tips and tricks for keeping a coronet braid up the whole day! :flowers:

(For those who don't know, coronet braid (a.k.a. faux crown braid) is this style (http://www.imow.org/dynamic/user_images/user_images_file_name_3256.jpg) - just a braid (usually English or rope braid) pinned around the head.)

wilderwein
March 5th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Have you tryed Heidi braids instead? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSiSK8wpkc8 like this, and use a bunch of bobby pins, seems like a corronet braid, but becouse the weight of the hair is distributed it holds better

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Have you tryed Heidi braids instead? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSiSK8wpkc8 like this, and use a bunch of bobby pins, seems like a corronet braid, but becouse the weight of the hair is distributed it holds better

^ Thanks a lot, wilderwein! Oh yes, I do this a lot! But they always slide back or forward after some time on me. I start this style with Luana braids (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/) to give those coronets more "grippage" in the front, but they still slide... though not as badly.

Quixii
March 5th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I don't really know if there's a way to not make them slide except for using a ton of bobby pins/spin pins/clips/all of the above.

wilderwein
March 5th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I know your hair is already wavy but maybe if you try this hairstyle on braided waves? I find that when I do braided waves all my hairdos hold better

Nique1202
March 5th, 2015, 04:27 PM
I know hair taping would solve this problem, but I don't have a yarn needle.

You should be able to find one literally anywhere that sells yarn (and the ribbon you'll also need!) from Walmart to fabric stores, and usually for not much more than $1-2.

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Maybe try bobby pinning every other stitch of the braid, or every stitch if your hair is stubborn.

Vanilla
March 5th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Maybe dry shampoo would help for it not to slide, along with the other methods suggested.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Quixii, thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing the sliding braids.

wilderwein, texturizing hair is a good idea! :D

Vanilla, dry shampoo is great. :D I'll try it and the braid waves.

Nique1202, thank you! I'm not a huge fan of fabric in my hair unless I'm going for a Renaissance fair-ish style, but yeah, I should look into yarn... I know it would help.

Lapushka, bobby pins are way too tiny for my braids, but you are right, I think I'll need to use more grip tools... I wanted to avoid using too many because of potential mechanical damage, but I think more are needed. And I dislike the look of clips/pins sticking out - I'm terrible at hiding them. But also, how did Tymoshenko keep her coronet so perfect and seemingly pin-free (http://www.modehistorique.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Famous-Braid-Of-Ukrainian-Prime-Minister-Yulia-Tymoshenko.jpg)? :hmm:

wilderwein
March 5th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I'm wondering the same thing about her hair meteor!!!

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I'm wondering the same thing about her hair meteor!!!

For starters, I can definitely see a ton of product (maybe gel or hairspray?) applied to those locks - hence the seeming absence of any flyaways... but where are the pins? :hmm:

darklyndsea
March 5th, 2015, 05:20 PM
That is so weird. The coronet is one of the few styles that won't move on my hair. Although I suppose they do move a small amount after some hours. I think they hold so well because I've managed to figure out where to put my spin pins/ficcares for maximum effect, but I don't even know what my criteria are, much less know how to describe it to anybody else.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM
That is so weird. The coronet is one of the few styles that won't move on my hair. Although I suppose they do move a small amount after some hours. I think they hold so well because I've managed to figure out where to put my spin pins/ficcares for maximum effect, but I don't even know what my criteria are, much less know how to describe it to anybody else.

Oh please teach us your ways! :pray: Where do you put your spin pins/ficcares for maximum effect - is it at the top? is it where the braid ends?...
I love this style because it's hands down the most comfortable non-sectioned updo to wear (due to weight distribution).

wilderwein
March 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM
For starters, I can definitely see a ton of product (maybe gel or hairspray?) applied to those locks - hence the seeming absence of any flyaways... but where are the pins? :hmm:
Maybe u pins carefully placed in the center of the braid where all hair strands met. Couse we have a front picture a back picture but not an actual top picture where it would probably show. Also the pins are probably placed straight through the braid so they won't come out of the sides and show off

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Maybe u pins carefully placed in the center of the braid where all hair strands met. Couse we have a front picture a back picture but not an actual top picture where it would probably show. Also the pins are probably placed straight through the braid so they won't come out of the sides and show off

Oh yes! :thumbsup: That's probably how they hid them! :) I need to learn some proper pinning here, for sure... :lol:

wilderwein
March 5th, 2015, 05:28 PM
But I guess that would take some serious extra amount of time... well she is a politician, she has to be perfect I guess ahaha

wilderwein
March 5th, 2015, 05:29 PM
But I guess that would take some serious extra amount of time... well she is a politician, she has to be perfect haha

darklyndsea
March 5th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Oh please teach us your ways! :pray: Where do you put your spin pins/ficcares for maximum effect - is it at the top? is it where the braid ends?...
I love this style because it's hands down the most comfortable non-sectioned updo to wear (due to weight distribution).

Well, one's always at the tail, since otherwise how will it stay in place? The other goes at the front: off-center, wherever it feels comfortable. Aha! Terrible mirrored picture of how it ends up looking with ficcares:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10305&d=1397251093

It ends up rock solid at those two points. Mostly if it sags it sags at the front on the side that doesn't have the spin pin/ficcare. It might have something to do with how much slack you allow when you're draping the braid? I like to get it pretty firm, about as tight as I tie my scarf on windy days (and windy days here are pretty windy).

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 06:25 PM
^ That's so awesome, darklyndsea! :D Thank you so very much for such clear explanation! :flowers:

It's amazing that you can secure with just 2 points! :applause

I can see that part of my problem is that my hair is still too short to do such a deep secure tuck/overlap at the nape and too short to go so close to the front... I think it will get to hold better as it grows longer - and the coronet can also get wider.

darklyndsea
March 5th, 2015, 06:33 PM
It's actually not all that close to the front; it's halfway-ish between my forehead and the back end of my part. I have kind of a natural change in the angle of my skull there, which I think helps hold it in place. And I think that the amount of overlap doesn't matter much; it's the front point that holds it in place, the back is just to keep the tail from swinging free. My coronet has felt the same since I've barely been able to overlap the ends, anyway. But it does take a certain amount of length to get it right.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 06:46 PM
^Thanks a lot, darklyndsea! :D
I'm curious, can you still do coronet from 2 braids at such great length, or does it become impossible after a certain point? :)
(I think coronet from 2 braids holds OK-ish on me, I'll just need to pin it way better in the future.)

darklyndsea
March 5th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Actually, I haven't done it with two braids in a while. I'll try it out later tonight, but right now my guess is that the only difference is that I'll have to pin down the ends separately. I think there will be a point at which I'll give up on the two-braid style: whenever the ends go past the front ficcare. It seems like it would be difficult to get the tension right once they hit that point. But if you're doing it with pins rather than my uber-lazy style, it'll probably continue to work.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 07:01 PM
^ Thank you so very much, darklyndsea! :D That's great to know! :thumbsup:

Quixii
March 5th, 2015, 07:30 PM
For the record, I always do it with two braids, because I think it looks and feels more balanced. I think it is a little more difficult to deal with the ends at this length, because they either just keep going around or make a kind of bun at the base.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 07:42 PM
For the record, I always do it with two braids, because I think it looks and feels more balanced. I think it is a little more difficult to deal with the ends at this length, because they either just keep going around or make a kind of bun at the base.

Thank you so very much, Quixii! :flowers: Very helpful! And I know what you mean about that balance! :agree: Also, it looks so pretty from the back when the 2 braids are criss-crossed over each other, instead of a big bulbous beginning of the braid that can happen (at least, it happens to me, he-he) with just 1 braid.

Oh and darklyndsea, I forgot to thank you for posting a picture of that STUNNING coronet! Thud-worthy crown indeed! :thudpile:

Quixii
March 5th, 2015, 08:15 PM
This thread has got me totally inspired. :laugh: Tomorrow I'm going to either to milkmaid braids/coronet (which I haven't done in forever) or hair taping (which I've never done). :D (Actually I'll probably do it tonight so I don't have to worry about in the morning. :hmm: )

Quasiquixotic
March 5th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Have you looked into Medora's crown braid? I forget what she calls it. So you are leaning over with your elbows on your knees, head down, and your hair is going straight froward over your crown, into your face. You then lace braid from one ear to the other (or a little less, just the forehead maybe) adding in all of your hair. Then finished the braid off normal once all the hair is incorporated and you can wrap it around your head and pin, per usual.

That was probably a horrible description of it. I wish I could remember what she called it.

ETA: Cross post there Quixii, but I feel the same way. I haven't tried a crown braid in at least 3" of growth...:hmm:

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 08:32 PM
This thread has got me totally inspired. :laugh: Tomorrow I'm going to either to milkmaid braids/coronet (which I haven't done in forever) or hair taping (which I've never done). :D (Actually I'll probably do it tonight so I don't have to worry about in the morning. :hmm: )

Sounds amazing, Quixii! :applause I know it will look amazing on you, especially with that glorious texture and that golden hair of yours!

Have you looked into Medora's crown braid? I forget what she calls it. So you are leaning over with your elbows on your knees, head down, and your hair is going straight froward over your crown, into your face. You then lace braid from one ear to the other (or a little less, just the forehead maybe) adding in all of your hair. Then finished the braid off normal once all the hair is incorporated and you can wrap it around your head and pin, per usual.

That was probably a horrible description of it. I wish I could remember what she called it.

ETA: Cross post there Quixii, but I feel the same way. I haven't tried a crown braid in at least 3" of growth...:hmm:

Oh yes, Quasi, I hope you'll go for it! :love: Your hair will look absolutely amazing in a crown braid! Also, I find all complex braiding looks so gorgeous on blonette hair with natural highlights, because details of weaving are so visible and make those highlights pop! :applause

And thank you so much for mentioning Madora's awesome updo! :thumbsup: That's a simplified crown braid from inverted lace braiding... You are 100% right, it would hold like a rock (like any true crown braid). It looks amazing, but I wish I could lace-braid. :oops: Crown braids are so difficult on my tangle-prone hair - any French-braiding (sectioned braiding) seems to be impossible for my lame braiding skills, I'm afraid.
(I'm in extreme awe not only at Madora's phenomenal mane but also at her ability to do such ridiculously complex braids at such great lengths.)

Quasiquixotic
March 5th, 2015, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure her crown braid is only lace braided for a little bit, but I can understand if even that tangles your hair too much. Could you do reverse Heidi braids? Make two braid at your forehead and them wrap them? Or just make one and wrap it?

I've tried crown braids several time and while I can do them, they are always a fail boat. I'm not sure why, but they don't look bohemian and romantic but rather more, scraggly and messy. But we are all our harshest critic.

OOOH what about this! Frieda Kahlo braids where you braid a ribbon into your hair. You then knot the ribbon to hold the braids up...

Quixii
March 5th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Hair taping succeeded! I don't have any claw clips at the moment so I had a hard time holding my braids in place while I sewed them, but now that it's all done I think it came out pretty well. :)

It is nice, because it feels like a more secure version of the milkmaid/coronet braid I usually do, but with zero pins instead of a bazillion.
I do wonder if there's some way to maybe sew threw the middle of the braids with a thin, hair-coloured string, so it would be more invisible. :hmm:

Quasiquixotic
March 5th, 2015, 09:27 PM
what about fishing line?

Madora
March 5th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Meteor, thanks for your lovely compliment!

As far as the sliding braid problem, here's a diagram of how I secure double braids:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/img002.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/img002.jpg.html)

I use about a dozen 3 inch crimped hairpins.

The trick is to weave the hairpins in through the front braid and into the rear braid, and for good measure, weave a few from the back braid into the front braid. When "weaving" be sure and try to catch a slight bit of scalp hair, because that is what helps hold the braids in place.

Also, when starting, bring both braids so that they are laying next to each other on the top of your head (about 2 inches in front the front hairline). Hold them taut on top of your scalp while you insert the first front hairpin and weave it in thru the front braid and into the rear braid. Then take another hairpin, move down about an inch, and repeat the process. Once you have inserted as many pins around the front braid, repeat with the back braid. Tuck in the tassels.

I've found the easiest way to limit slidage is to faux crown braid the front braid (inverted braiding method from ear to ear) then finish off with a single plait, wind it around the head, the pin with crimped hairpins at intervals. Hope this helps!

darklyndsea
March 5th, 2015, 10:02 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272&d=1425617877
2-braid coronet at my current length. I can tell that the ends are a few inches too long to be secure and would pop out pretty quickly, but the style as a whole feels secure, except a tendency to droop onto my right ear the slightest bit.

Quixii
March 5th, 2015, 11:29 PM
what about fishing line?
There's an idea!

Next shopping trip, claw clips and fishing line. What a combination. :lol:

StellaKatherine
March 6th, 2015, 01:10 AM
One other thing... how about french or dutch braid the hair close to your forehead, from left to right or the opposite dirrection. Add it to the braid/ braids which will go around your hair. The coronet should stay better in place because clips will have a better grip ?

Panth
March 6th, 2015, 01:32 AM
This is fairly secure on me (I can ceilidh dance with one). I can't tilt my head back / look up a lot (then it falls off the back unless it was a sewn one).

I think there are a couple of key things:
- don't do it when you can't make a loop at least from ear to ear, as otherwise the left/right weight disparity will be too much
- it doesn't work very well with massive taper, unless you can do >1 full loop (and maybe not even then)
- it works better further forward on the head (my loops usually go over my centre parting about 0.5-2 inches from my hairline - the closer to the hairline, the bigger the loop, so the more it eats length)
- pins! lots of pins! (I use bobby pins)

Also, at least on me there are critical points that need really well-positioned pins. Namely, about temple-height on the opposite side to where the loop started - take that one out and even if all the other pins are still there, it feels massively insecure.

I tend to pin in the following order:
1) One at temple-height on the opposite side to where the plait started
2) One at side of nape, where the tassel tucks in
3) More until the tassel is secure
4) One or two at the other side of the nape, to keep the beginning of the plait flush to the head
5) One or two on the side where the plait starts to curve up
6) One above/below the first pin, as needed
7) Extras, if necessary, to tuck in tassel and any unslightly ruckles in the hair

I tend to have ... 6-10 total, though that's with practice. I used more when I was less familiar with this. I pin all of the ones front-to-back, except the tassel (back-to-front) and the nape (top-to-bottom, usually). I always keep one hand holding the plait in place until at least #3 on the list of pins.

Arien
March 6th, 2015, 03:02 AM
Would it not be more secure if you start your braids off as french or dutch to give you something to grip onto with clips or pins? I also second the dry shampoo. Either that or texturising/volume powder. That stuff is really sticky..

lapushka
March 6th, 2015, 03:12 AM
But also, how did Tymoshenko keep her coronet so perfect and seemingly pin-free (http://www.modehistorique.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Famous-Braid-Of-Ukrainian-Prime-Minister-Yulia-Tymoshenko.jpg)? :hmm:

You're right... mechanical damage, and limiting it is key. Bobby pins might not be that great, at least not as many as you'd need for what I suggested! And there have been occasions where I saw Tymoshenko's braid lose a few pins up top (well, they loosened).

StellaKatherine
March 6th, 2015, 03:26 AM
I would stop looking at Tymoshenko's braid anyway.... Will never understand how she even manages to put her braid around her head anyway.. Rare photo of her hair down -> http://jetsetter.ua/data/storys/12/50/3/12503_165651_1396009268.jpg Or maybe she just have a very small head :D

DreamSheep
March 6th, 2015, 05:23 AM
I have the same problem - but I usually find as I bring the braid round, I can then dutch braid it into the hair on the top, and this anchors it quite well as long as I Dutch braid enough stitches. :)

Arctic
March 6th, 2015, 07:20 AM
If you use bobby pins, try putting them

a) crimped side down
b) 2 bobby pins in x shape (in as many spots as needed for them to feel secure). I would insert the other one from left side of the braid and other one from the opposite side, or if your hair is too thick for that, I would try forming x-shaped pairs on both sides, so I'd insert two bobbies in x on left side, and 2 bobbies in x shape on the right side. That latter method might be easier to control on thick hair.
c) if x-shape doesn't work, I would still use the bobby pins in pairs, on each side of the braids approximately at the same spot (again, in as many spots as it takes for the braid to feel secure and sturdy)
d) so that they catch both braid hair and scalp hair (but don't put too much hair in one pin, or it starts to glide off)

Also bobby pins come in different sizes, so you can try testing bigger ones, if you haven't already. And you can use both bobby pins and U-shaped hair pins at the same time, who says only one type could be used.

If you use bobby pins (or other type of hair pins) in colour that matches you hair, and insert the pins so that they are hidden under (or inside, depending of the pin type and hair style, etc) they should be pretty invisible.

I also second the texturizing powder (also known as hair powder), that stuff is amazing for creating grip. Dry shampoos and salt sprays could help too.

When removing bobby pin, I have noticed that if I just pull it off with one hand it usually snags my hair. But if I take a hold of it with one hand's thumb and fore finger (hand A) gently but sturdily, and use my other hand (hand B) to find the other end of the pin (that is inside the hair) and then with hand B push it out from the hair, so that it glides through the fingers of the hand A, that is holding it (all the way until you have the whole bobby pin removed and there is no hair inside it), that prevents any and all snagging. Hand A helps all the hairs gently out of the pin without snagging while hand B pushes the pin out of the hair. I hope I was able to explain the technique. (Ofcourse once you get the pin sticking partially out of the braid, you can move the hand B and pull it out, but keep hand A in place.)

Madora
March 6th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Re: using bobby pins...for the sake of your hair, do not use them in an "X" position. Why? Because using the X shape puts too much pressure on your hair at that one point. If you rely on bobby pins, then use them in a parallel fashion (///).

Anje
March 6th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I would stop looking at Tymoshenko's braid anyway.... Will never understand how she even manages to put her braid around her head anyway.. Rare photo of her hair down -> http://jetsetter.ua/data/storys/12/50/3/12503_165651_1396009268.jpg Or maybe she just have a very small head :D

I'm pretty sure she's got extra hair braided into it. :) Think "paranda", but with fake hair instead of yarn/string. That's how I'd do it, anyway.

StellaKatherine
March 6th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Anje, this is what I was thinking, especially as I've seen her braid down as well, and it looked very thin in comparison with how it look when crown braided. To be honest I hate how everyone ask me about Tymoshenko if I wear my hair in two braids around my head even........Like she is the one who invented it. She did make it famous in a way, but hopefully with time people stop that "Oh you are A la Tymoshenko today " ... :D

Arctic
March 6th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Re: using bobby pins...for the sake of your hair, do not use them in an "X" position. Why? Because using the X shape puts too much pressure on your hair at that one point. If you rely on bobby pins, then use them in a parallel fashion (///).

Perhaps you are right, but it's a very commonly used and recommended method for rock solid hold. I personally have so thin hair I get the pins more reliably invisible if I don't use x-method. (But I don't have problems with hair styles staying put either.)

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Oh my goodness! You guys are AMAZING! :love: Thank you all so very much for all the great tips and tricks! :flowers:

Madora, Panth, Arctic, thank you so much for such detailed instructions on pinning! I'm going to save them and study them. And I had no idea I need to use so many pins! :bigeyes:

Panth, your comment on needing to make a loop from at least ear to ear was very useful (my coronet braid is way too short to touch the ears, so its diameter is probably too small to be very stable - and more pinning is required).

darklyndsea, your coronet from 2 braids is phenomenal! So big, yet intricate and unbelievably neat! :thud:

Anje, StellaKatherine, oh yes, Yulia's braid is not all her real hair :agree: , but that wouldn't mean less pinning... if anything, it might require even more? So it's curious to me how they managed to keep it so neat and hide the pins so well. :hmm:

Quasi, what a GENIUS idea about using a fishing line. :applause I'll need to go look for it at some specialty shop. Frieda Kahlo braids are awesome, but adding scarves/fabric tends to give me headaches, maybe I need to practice with them a lot more. :hmm:

Thank you so very much again, guys! :flowers: You are absolutely amazing! :heartbeat

gwenalyn
March 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM

Crystal clear description! :applause: I finally understand this hairstyle (not that I tried very hard before ... )

Hosta
March 6th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Torrin Paige just posted a video on hair taping that may help.

picklepie
March 28th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Has anyone mentioned spin pins? The shorter ones work very well, positioned running parallel along the braid. I can often use two of those, and a bobby pin to secure each tail underneath, and it holds very well.

Something else in hair taping THROUGH the braid instead of over and around it. Use something hair-colored (there's sort of silky cording used to make upholstery trim, etc, at the fabric store) and it's very invisible.

meteor
March 28th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Has anyone mentioned spin pins? The shorter ones work very well, positioned running parallel along the braid. I can often use two of those, and a bobby pin to secure each tail underneath, and it holds very well.

Something else in hair taping THROUGH the braid instead of over and around it. Use something hair-colored (there's sort of silky cording used to make upholstery trim, etc, at the fabric store) and it's very invisible.

Great ideas! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot, picklepie! :D

I must say I've always been a bit afraid to use spin pins in my own hair because that "hair screw" design seems like it could cause tangles on very tangle-prone hair like mine, but I should give them a try. I know they can be super-secure.

As for the cord, it sounds great! :applause I wasn't sure what exactly it is, so I googled "silky cording used to make upholstery trim" and this is the kind of satiny twisty stuff that comes up (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/153807078/vintage-satin-twist-cord-upholstery-trim?ref=market) - it looks tight and heavy, but I bet it's silky smooth and hair-friendly. :D

Panth
March 28th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Heh. Seeing as the diameter of a spinpin is greater than the thickness of my (irritatingly flat cross-sectioned) plait... suffice it to say, this doesn't work for i or i/ii people!

picklepie
March 28th, 2015, 01:12 PM
This is the cording I was meaning-- https://www.etsy.com/listing/152584081/1mm-bugtail-satin-cord-shamballa-macrame?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_low-craft_supplies_and_tools-jewelry_and_beading_supplies-findings_and_hardware&utm_custom1=db5ec492-786c-4ade-aed9-57d2b3c9aeba&kpid=152584081&gclid=CIqIrYbgy8QCFciTfgoduSgAWw

Yes, I can see how spin puns could be too big for i/ii folks. They should make smaller ones!

meteor
March 28th, 2015, 02:58 PM
^ Great! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for showing those cords, picklepie! I don't think I've ever seen them in stores but I'll look for them in the future. :)
Panth, I would think on i/ii hair, bobby pins can work pretty well instead of spin pins - and I think their design is less likely to cause tangling. :) I don't think they are damaging if they are used very carefully - especially on removal. I admit I always tend to break hairs when I use bobby pins, but I am a very clumsy styler. :oops:

Chromis
March 28th, 2015, 03:06 PM
The coronet braid is my favourite style! I can't do it right now because my tassel ends up in the front, but my taper makes it too thin to make a bun at the base though.

I prefer to make mine much lower on my forehead, only an inch or two from the hairline and I use five tiny jewelled claw clips in the front and bobby pins on the side and back. I find this better balanced on my head and it stays put really well. Used to be my all time favourite travel style on airplanes.

Panth
March 28th, 2015, 03:11 PM
^ Great! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for showing those cords, picklepie! I don't think I've ever seen them in stores but I'll look for them in the future. :)
Panth, I would think on i/ii hair, bobby pins can work pretty well instead of spin pins - and I think their design is less likely to cause tangling. :) I don't think they are damaging if they are used very carefully - especially on removal. I admit I always tend to break hairs when I use bobby pins, but I am a very clumsy styler. :oops:

Yeah, I always use bobby pins and I never seem to get damage (though I remove them carefully and I do only wear coronet braids as an occasional, rather than daily, style as I am worried about damage).

Linguaphilia
March 28th, 2015, 03:30 PM
i always use five bobby pins to secure my coronet braid. It holds like a rock for me like this:

- English braid with two scrunchies, at the beginning and at the end. Wrap around head, arrange until satisfied. Stick index finger into the scrunchie at the beginning of the braid and pull the tassel in it. Now you've got a coronet braid that still needs to be anchored to the scalp.
- Two bobby pins on either side of the head, in different directions: one pair would look like this: one bobby pin pointing forwards, another backwards + one just above the ear and one higher on the side of the head.
- One bobby pin to secure the tassel a bit more and tuck it in.

The trick with bobby pins, as others have said, is to press them open with your thumb/finger/thumbnail for inserting and removing. Only let them "spring tight" when they are in place or out of the hair (obviously :p).

StellaKatherine
March 29th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Great ideas! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot, picklepie! :D

I must say I've always been a bit afraid to use spin pins in my own hair because that "hair screw" design seems like it could cause tangles on very tangle-prone hair like mine, but I should give them a try. I know they can be super-secure.

As for the cord, it sounds great! :applause I wasn't sure what exactly it is, so I googled "silky cording used to make upholstery trim" and this is the kind of satiny twisty stuff that comes up (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/153807078/vintage-satin-twist-cord-upholstery-trim?ref=market) - it looks tight and heavy, but I bet it's silky smooth and hair-friendly. :D

I was really afraid to use spin pins as well. I had same thought as you did. But since I tried, I am in love! They actually do not tangle the hair. You screw them in and they do not move at all and then just unscrew and they leave the hair where it was originally. Love how secured buns are with them! :crush: Would not use those on the coronet braid thought as I wouldn't be able to hide them.

Anje
July 28th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Bumping this, because I think I found the PERFECT way to secure the braid, at least for me:

Side combs!

I've got a coronet wrapped around my head right now, and all that's holding it are two little side combs, pushed in from back to front. They've each got some braid hair and then lots of scalp hair. They aren't slipping, they're not sliding sideways, and on the side where the braid is getting obnoxiously thin, the tines that would be sticking out the front are hiding neatly under my hair. I've got a bobby pin or two keeping the tail from wandering off, though a third comb there would probably work even better.

Anyway, the combs switched this from being a style that I wanted to do but wouldn't stay comfortably in place without a gazillion pins pulling at my scalp to something that I could easily whip up with a minimum of fuss and equipment. That's pretty much my threshold for whether I actually do any style or not for anything but a special occasion. It appeals to my rather minimalist tendencies, and it's really comfortable. Maybe if I'm lucky, my braid will continue its recent fattening trend and will eventually make this a bit more balanced, too. :)

meteor
July 28th, 2015, 11:19 AM
^ Oh that sounds wonderful, Anje! :D Thanks so much for sharing! :flowers:
If I imagine what "side combs" are correctly, they should indeed work like magic, because of the large number of tines/prongs helping the grip. :)
Which kinds of side combs do you use? Are they just like smaller combs, looking like this (http://cdn3.volusion.com/ewbra.cqphd/v/vspfiles/photos/ANN3207-2.jpg)?

Linguaphilia
July 28th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Wow! That sounds wonderful. If it works on me, my French side combs (very expensive) will finally see some use...

velorutionista
July 28th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Ooh side combs are genius! I have a whole baggie that my mom left with me last time she visited!...I see some experimentation in my near future...thanks for the idea!

Anje
July 28th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Which kinds of side combs do you use? Are they just like smaller combs, looking like this (http://cdn3.volusion.com/ewbra.cqphd/v/vspfiles/photos/ANN3207-2.jpg)?

Just like that. Little curved plastic things, maybe 6cm/2.5in long? I picked them up at the grocery store thinking they'd work -- they're nothing special in and of themselves. I think they were Goody brand. :)

meteor
July 28th, 2015, 11:51 AM
^ Thanks so much, Anje! :flowers: That's great to know! :thumbsup: I'll need to try those!