PDA

View Full Version : Diff between Ed an ONN hairsticks?

fisaah
March 5th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Hi guys,

Is there much of a difference between Ed and OutNumberedNovelties hairsticks? In terms of quality, build, even customer service. Please share!

AspenSong
March 5th, 2015, 12:57 PM
They're both great sticks. Here's a tiny shot of a pair of each....the ONN's are on the Right. ONN's are a bit thicker, have a flat top and a different taper at the tips. I think the finish on both is pretty much the same....smooth and beautiful.
I think ONN has awesome colors. Both are great quality. I'm a convert to ONN though after spending several years all about Eads. For me, customer service and the colors tipped the scales. I love the customer service at ONN. Rich is great and friendly and helpful and always ready to make you happy it seems. Can't say enough good about him. :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/mieyyw.jpg

Seeshami
March 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I will only buy from Rich when it comes to it now. I use to buy Ead's but I absolutely will not now.

pastina
March 5th, 2015, 01:10 PM
^^agreed with everything aspensong said.

rich is a totally awesome guy, very helpful and great to work with. something to consider, though-- he has a very long waiting list (which, i think says something about how awesome he is). so, if theres something pre-made in his shop you love, grab it, otherwise you might be in for a decent wait. i find the wait to be worth it, because i prefer his colors. but, if time (or impatience! :) ) is a factor, ead has a better variety of things *instantly* available.

Wosie
March 5th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I only have good things to say about Rich. He's a great guy, answers questions quickly and kindly. His sticks're beautiful and you have a huge amount of acrylic blanks to choose from. His waiting list is long, though, so you'll have to wait a couple of months before you get his sticks (unless you buy a non-reserved pair in his shop).
Lovely AspenSong already showed you a picture showing the aesthetic differences (I have a similar picture I've taken). The main difference is that Rich's sticks' ends are sharper.

In2wishin
March 5th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I prefer the shape of Ead's sticks and enjoy his impeccable customer service (the freebies are nice too). I have never bought from ONN because I don't care for the flat top and they are a little thicker than I like.

DweamGoiL
March 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM
I haven't purchased from ONN yet, but have had positive experiences with Ead. My last order was a set of custom wavies and he was quick, responsive, and they turned out beautifully. I prefer the wavies to the original design, but when I travel or go to the beach the straight Ead's always make the trip!

schnibbles
March 5th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I prefer the taper and shape of the point on ONN sticks. I need something a little more graduated like that to catch scalp hair and get a good hold.

Leeloo
March 5th, 2015, 01:44 PM
I've had a custom order with ONN and his customer service is super fast and he is super nice guy. I felt like my order was very important to him :) He was very direct with timing and options. I've also purchased from Ead store but I bought stock items which didn't require any addition communications. But items arrived fast and well wrapped. The important difference to me is that ONN sticks can have differently shaped toppers (not just straight sticks), because straight sticks go right through my hair. Hope this helps :)

Kelli Kat
March 5th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I've bought from both, I like both, but I was an extremely loyal Ead customer for many years, I have over 100 Ead sticks (not pairs, singles). At this time, I no longer purchase from Ead.

sourgrl
March 5th, 2015, 04:38 PM
It's customer service and selection that clearly set the shops apart. While I like Rich for his customer service (very hands-on) and his colors I prefer the over all finish of Eads. The subtle differences between the two in their over all completed pieces may not make a difference to most.

truepeacenik
March 5th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I get both. I like both makers as people.
Rich is chattier. Ed sends really fast.

Ed has a smoother finish, in that his sticks are cylindrical. Rich's have a vague squareness in feeling.
I theorized that the squareness might help hold slippery hair a bit better.

Until recently, Ed had more colors. then Rich started ordering Some lines that are really intriguing.
Now, Rich orders from someone who has length limitations, more so than Ed's supplier.
But Rich is building longer sticks.
He also includes a 10 percent off coupon in each order. Which I have remembered only once.
Ed sends random extra sticks.

my decision when choosing depends on what's in stock, how impatient I am, and if something just sings to me.
both keep facebook pages for enabling, um, informational purposes.

AspenSong
March 5th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Ead must not like me, lol...I haven't gotten extra sticks in forever. Those phased out for me a long time ago....I'm always curious how he chooses who he sends those to because I've placed everything from orders where I got one pair, to large orders and for the last couple years - no freebies. But some others get even acrylic freebies? (I only ever got the wood ones). So yeah, just a random wonderment.

see_turtle
March 5th, 2015, 08:46 PM
I have quite a few Eads I love them, but wish I could get responses to my questions....have never gotten a freebie. I wear them every single day.

I have 2 ONNs on the way to me from the swap board and one on the waiting list Rich responded very quickly to my inquiry and was so nice....I really love the colors but can't speak yet to the quality through they look beautiful...will update soon

Quasiquixotic
March 5th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I've had both, though never at the same time. I never had an issue with Ead, and his stick were exactly as promised. It was hard to get information from him, but I imagine it's hard to run one of the more popular etsy shops out there.

That said, I prefer ONN sticks. I like their size. I like their shape and I like their finish. I have several and other than Lady Iduns, Rich is my go to guy for acrylics.

Seeshami
March 5th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Or Ead just ignores you for months on end and never responds to you even when you tell him it's okay forget about it.

chen bao jun
March 5th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I haven't ordered from ONN, because I never see anything in his shop but the custom orders and the list is looong.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
I have ordered from Ead I think 2x. Maybe 3x?
The orders arrived fast, the sticks had impeccable finish, he gave me a freebie the first time, which was a little stick that said 'I love LHC' of wood, I thought that was cute but I figured the freebies were just very random, never expecting to get another one, I figure its like when I give little trinkets to my students or orphans, its not because I like one better than the other or that they 'deserve' it in some way, it just happens I have one to give and the person is, you know, there.

I love Ead's prices, especially for one stick, which is usually all I need and all I've ordered at a time.. I want to buy again from him soon but am a little scared even though he's been so great so far as I'm concerned because of all this bad feedback he's had on LHC all of a sudden. I'm a little scared that he's gone bad and that I will never see a stick on ONN except for customs and that the only acrylics will be lady idun, which are like, worse than trying to win the lottery so far as being able to get them and you certainly can't CHOOSE (although what you get is wonderful).
I do like ketylos too in general very much but he has NO colors, so I wouldn't like it to be just his.

chen bao jun
March 5th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Yeah, like five sets in his shop right now and if you don't want a pair and don't want orange creamsicle or toxic pumpkin, you are out of luck.

hennalonghair
March 5th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I've bought from both, I like both, but I was an extremely loyal Ead customer for many years, I have over 100 Ead sticks (not pairs, singles). At this time, I no longer purchase from Ead.

What???? over 100 sticks? Wow! I really like the colour of your hair btw:waving:

I've only bought one pair of acrylic sticks from the swap here and all the rest are EAD's that were gifted to me so I'm actually a newbie in acrylics.
I do however REALLY like them. Those oversized ones are great too.

Kelli Kat
March 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks Hennalonghair. Although the pic in my avatar is old and I've changed color :p

Stormynights
March 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM
I have ordered Eads twice. I never got a freebie, but what I ordered I got really fast and it was very nice. I am on the ONN waiting list so I can't compare them. The curvy Ead is really nice, so one of these days I will order more.

Adiro
March 6th, 2015, 12:19 AM
I never got a free gift from Ead, so. I always felt like he does not like me at all........but I got some trouble.

First order was ok, shipped about two weeks post order. Second order was a mess, he ruined my Christmas gifts plans, two pairs ok, but other with one expensive stick missing, and another stick sent with two visible defects, one at the tip and another on the length, a whole little chunk missing... Then a month of weekly messaging from me, and absolutelly no answers, then a brief " I will send you the missing and bad stick again" then nothing sent, then finally a partial refund issued....
And after this I have not ordered again.
Recently my turn came for ONNsticks ( on custom list since October ) and communication was super, much more chatty than I expected, very fun and pleasant . My order is still in the mail, so I will let you know how I like the ONN sticks when they arrive.

Shipping was very expensive to Canada from ONN ( I paid $ 20) while from EAd very reasonable ( $ 8 )

Wosie
March 6th, 2015, 03:58 AM
I only had two orders from Ead. The first one went rather smoothly, although he didn't answer to a message of mine (about whether I could add a pair) and sent the order a while later as it was originally. Mwell, I chalked it up to that I was being a tad annoying, as I sent two messages to him and now I know he prefers to just make orders and send them, without any additional contact. It was my first hairtoy order, so I was really excited and got a little ahead of myself. In the first message I wrote "you can make them in 6" instead of my initial request of 6.5", I think that'd be better" and I got a reply then, a short positive answer. They were still 6.5" when I received them. I didn't really mind, though, but still.

The second order... He sent it, and I waited... waited... waited some more. Until I realised that the time limit was running out (back then I think you could only wait for 6 weeks and if your order hadn't arrived paypal wouldn't help you in case of no package.
So I wrote to him, saying that I hadn't received my package, wondering what I ought to do. He didn't answer. So I felt forced to open a paypal case. I didn't like it at all, but I thought there was nothing else to do. Then he quickly answered and (imo) he was being rather rude. He also asked "are you talking about me on the LHC?" which made me feel uncomfortable and that's one of the reasons I don't write about this experience often.
Either way, he sent the money back to me, then I received the package just a few days later (he had written the wrong country on it). In the end I sent back half of the price I had originally paid (per his request). And I felt quite sad over how he had treated me (that's not how you should feel after dealing with a seller!!), so I decided to not buy from his shop again.

Edit: The sticks themselves were always fine.

chen bao jun
March 6th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Wosie, that's a sad story.
I've never messaged him and as I said, haven't ordered much.
It's stories like yours and Seeshami that make me wonder about ordering again, although my personal experience is great.
I don't see myself trying ONN though and getting on a customs list and waiting and waiting--plus I really don't ever want pairs in acrylics, with very few exceptions.

Viola88
March 6th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I buy exclusively from ONN because of his work quality and A+ customer service. I used to buy from EAD but never again.

ChocolateWaves
March 6th, 2015, 07:02 AM
my decision when choosing depends on what's in stock, how impatient I am, and if something just sings to me.
both keep facebook pages for enabling, um, informational purposes.

I am having a heck of a time trying to find ONN's Facebook page! I even tried googling it. Does anyone know if they are under something other than "Outnumbered Novelties"??

schnibbles
March 6th, 2015, 07:03 AM
^^^ https://www.facebook.com/outnumberednovelties/timeline?ref=page_internal ;)

ChocolateWaves
March 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM
^^^ https://www.facebook.com/outnumberednovelties/timeline?ref=page_internal ;)

AAAAHHH!!! It was the space between "Out" and "numbered" that I was missing. Thank you, Schnibbles!

missblueeyes
March 6th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Ouch, what an enabling thread... I may or may not have asked Rich to put me on his waiting list...

In2wishin
March 6th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Or Ead just ignores you for months on end and never responds to you even when you tell him it's okay forget about it.

I have never had this happen. I have always received answers to my questions within a couple of days of messaging him.

chen bao jun
March 6th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Oh, I didn't know ONN had a facebook page.
It explains a lot. Now I know what his color choices are and so forth.

fisaah
March 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Wow that's a whole lot of replies! Thanks ladies!

Hmm looks like the scale is tipping toward ONN? Lol.

I was wondering if any of you ever custom ordered a hair stick from ONN with a topper like the Lady Idun ones? I really like big toppers like those to give the hair sticks that extra appeal but didn't see any like those in the sold section of ONN. I was thinking of msging him to ask...

sourgrl
March 6th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Fisaah, he does turned acrylics similar to ladyidun. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1008820645?

Aleahcim
March 6th, 2015, 06:57 PM
How do those custom ONN compare in quality and price to Lady Iduns? I've never been lucky enough to actually see any in her shop and if I'm gonna be paying that price for an acrylic I'd want the perfect colour.

truepeacenik
March 6th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I have never had this happen. I have always received answers to my questions within a couple of days of messaging him.

I've had non written communication. Like a change just getting done.
I think he assumes I know he will do it, and don't need confirmation.
And I'm bad about messaging something like, " if you have enough of (insert word new color) to do either a slightly fat single of a pair of thin in 6.5" send it along. If you don't, and won't be reordering, let me know for second color choice."
I always pay in a custom listing.

On the other hand, I know when I ordered a couple tea mugs from yoga goat/Amanda, he took them to the post office because he sent a a quick note.

He's actually very funny, imo. But I make a lot of self depreciating hippe jokes, and I've always said no rush, or don't worry about time, just let me know when to start stalking the postal carriers, because I think they avoid my place.

truepeacenik
March 6th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Wow that's a whole lot of replies! Thanks ladies!

Hmm looks like the scale is tipping toward ONN? Lol.

I was wondering if any of you ever custom ordered a hair stick from ONN with a topper like the Lady Idun ones? I really like big toppers like those to give the hair sticks that extra appeal but didn't see any like those in the sold section of ONN. I was thinking of msging him to ask...

Fisaah, he does turned acrylics similar to ladyidun. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1008820645?

How do those custom ONN compare in quality and price to Lady Iduns? I've never been lucky enough to actually see any in her shop and if I'm gonna be paying that price for an acrylic I'd want the perfect colour.

He does them. No shaft flare, and he won't mimic another maker. He respects Melissa and....(can't remember his name) too much. They were helpful when he was starting out, and he's thankful.

I have one of the chunky acrylics, not turned. Holds like a champ. I'm always surprised at how well the big sticks do.

Aleahcim
March 6th, 2015, 07:29 PM
No no, I wouldn't ask him to try to mimic another maker. Just curious to how they compare. I like the added dimension at the top and adore some of his colours. I just don't really know what the price range would be for a custom like that.

The only acrylic stick I own currently is an ONN oversized Lime flash and it's fantastic.

Aleahcim
March 6th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Double post.

EdG
March 6th, 2015, 07:31 PM
I will put in some good words for Eaduard's hair sticks. They're well-made, shipped quickly, and reasonably priced. Eaduard gets the Silver Swirl seal-of-approval. ;)
Ed

lazuliblue
March 7th, 2015, 04:04 AM
To follow EdG, I just received some Eads and they were shipped in good time and are beautiful. I am completely aware though that other people have had issues.

Adiro
March 7th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I ordered three turnned sticks, will receive them soon I didn't suggest anything like Lady iduns, I actually said I want a topper like a ball on a plate, to suggest a pearl, like an egg, like two balls over each other, etc.... Rich was absolutelly wonderfull to work with. His prices for turned sticks are much higher than Lady Idun, but it's because of the cost of the materials involved, and the fusing too.

Aleahcim
March 7th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Thank you Adiro, what great information. I'd love to see pictures of your turned sticks when you get them.
I'm gonna have to see what colours he has available that I'd fall in love with. Ive never considered a custom before, but I'd have to play with this idea.

Were your turned sticks around the same price as one another? Or did it differ base on the acrylic and topper shape?

fisaah
March 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM
No no, I wouldn't ask him to try to mimic another maker. Just curious to how they compare. I like the added dimension at the top and adore some of his colours. I just don't really know what the price range would be for a custom like that.

The only acrylic stick I own currently is an ONN oversized Lime flash and it's fantastic.

Ah ok. I guess I'll just leave it then.

fisaah
March 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM

I'm wondering the same thing!

Anyone?

truepeacenik
March 7th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I will put in some good words for Eaduard's hair sticks. They're well-made, shipped quickly, and reasonably priced. Eaduard gets the Silver Swirl seal-of-approval. ;)
Ed

Pics! And did you get, gasp, non hair colors? If you want to go that road, I have some that need more use than I give them.

(I have ONN sticks with copper shafts, they vanish in my hair.yep, I found hair colored sticks.)

truepeacenik
March 7th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I'm wondering the same thing!

Anyone?

There's a minor design difference. LI have differing widths along the shaft. ONN don't.
That said, most of the larger diameter acrylics hold the same. I can compare two LI shafts, one icicle and one tulip, and Ead and ONN fat sticks. All hold fantastically.

The LI Tulip feels a bit different sliding in, as it gets narrow and wider in places. But the hold is all the same for me.

There is a difference in a single thin stick a pair of thins and the larger diameters. At least in feel, after the learning curve.

EdG
March 7th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Pics! And did you get, gasp, non hair colors? If you want to go that road, I have some that need more use than I give them.

(I have ONN sticks with copper shafts, they vanish in my hair.yep, I found hair colored sticks.)Thanks for the offer! I will post pics. I bought both the wooden and acrylic sticks. The acrylic ones are "amber water". I chose the least flashy color Eaduard offered because it's already unusual to see a man wearing hair sticks, let alone an enormous Silver Swirl. :bigeyes:
Ed

Kina
March 7th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I am a bad communicator, so I tend to sympathize with Ead (doesn't mean that it's right, I just understand it). That having been said, I was looking hi and low for a cobalt blue, he remembered and let me know about it (via facebook) in a fairly non communicative manner, as in fb post "cobalt" and bought it, although I had to remind him to list it for that purpose.

I've gotten good service, otherwise. My preference has been for the oversized, as singles (unless their really long) get swallowed in my hair. I love the oversized Ead's and have gotten every color I've asked for, although there have been times when it's been slow.

With Rich, there is fabulous communication, which for me, ironically, is difficult as I feel that I have to answer all of his emails and I feel awkward, like, when do I stop responding? I love the shape of the ovals and the colors that he has available. I got a couple of his turned sticks, which I'm not quite as fond of. The turned ones are very straight, no taper, and feel heavier for some reason. The ovals are spectacular, though.

Adiro
March 7th, 2015, 11:08 PM
The turned sticks were about $ 44 USD for,the " swirly" one s( lava colors) and about $30 or teh regular acrylic, or something like this. Lava get to be so expensive because they come in small Blancs and he needs to fuse more pieces together, or so i
Understood it.... No price difference for different topers, but as you can se his toppers are less complex than the Lady IDun ones

I think mine might arrive Monday, they were in customs this last Friday....

I did ask for a longer taper point, but not sure if he made them like that....

Will post as soon as I have them
Thank you Adiro, what great information. I'd love to see pictures of your turned sticks when you get them.
I'm gonna have to see what colours he has available that I'd fall in love with. Ive never considered a custom before, but I'd have to play with this idea.

Were your turned sticks around the same price as one another? Or did it differ base on the acrylic and topper shape?

Adiro
March 9th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Ok, so I received my order today, will post a photo of my stuff

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/377f5c14490d7a53c96740e601f4b0a2.jpg

Adiro
March 9th, 2015, 11:56 PM
And here there are my new sticks, close to other comparable acrylics

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/9ef5536d22aad6646f87e5dbaa66566e.jpg

What you see here is like that
6 inch pair ONN
Turned stick ONN
Turned stick ONN
turned stick ONN
Oval ONN
Lady Idun longer length
6 inch Ead
7 inch oversized Ead
6 inch special color Ead ( larger than his regulars)

Hope this helps some body, size and style wise

missblueeyes
March 10th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Oh, those are really pretty! The turned ONN's are really chunky. What did you ask for to get the topper on your blue and yellow turned ONN? (I'm terrible with acrylic colours haha)

Adiro
March 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Miss blue eyes, how I worked with Ricjh was that I described my vision, for that one, called opal Pearl, I said that I want like a ball Pearl sitting on a shell shape like a small bowl, and then the neck and then the functional part of the stock. I could have drawn it but I was lazy....he delivered :)

missblueeyes
March 10th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Miss blue eyes, how I worked with Ricjh was that I described my vision, for that one, called opal Pearl, I said that I want like a ball Pearl sitting on a shell shape like a small bowl, and then the neck and then the functional part of the stock. I could have drawn it but I was lazy....he delivered :)

Thank you, Adiro! Would you mind if I asked him for a topper like yours once it's my turn for a custom order? I totally understand and respect it if you say that you don't want that. :)

Adiro
March 10th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Absolutelly, go for it!
I think it's really pretty, he told me that his wife considered that one ( the opal Pearl ) the best topper he ever did ;( so far)

missblueeyes
March 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Absolutelly, go for it!
I think it's really pretty, he told me that his wife considered that one ( the opal Pearl ) the best topper he ever did ;( so far)

Thank you! :) I'll save your listing in case I'll decide to go for it.

truepeacenik
March 10th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Rich's wife has excellent taste.
He's so obviously fond of her, it's sweet.

chen bao jun
March 12th, 2015, 03:50 PM
so how do you get on the customs list? I want some turned sticks like Adiro

Kina
March 12th, 2015, 03:52 PM

send him a message on etsy.

Hele
March 12th, 2015, 07:35 PM

Rich is super nice and chatty, i always get a response within a couple hours anytime i've messaged him (he's like the anti-Ead in that regard)! If you're not sure exactly what you want just let him know to add you to the custom list, he'll contact you when your name is coming up to verify what you want. I had myself put back on as soon as my customs arrived, i'll let him know in a couple months when it's my turn what it is i want. There's just so many color choices to consider!

Adiro
March 12th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Chen, I asked him to add me to add me to the list on October 24 last year, and got my sticks now. I didn't tell him what I want until about a week before my turn came, because I kept changing my mind. I even changed my mind about the yellow one while in the making, initially I had another design in mind, which I didn't like when I saw his sketch, so we re worked my idea, to fit my new vision. He is really as in REALLY nice, I think he actually enjoys talking, we had lots of jokes and friendly exchanges while it lasted.
The turned sticks in lava co,ors are more expensive, but the ones in regular colors are about or less than the LadyIdun ones ( which are also regular colors).
But to me they are fully worth it!, and. I had a feeling that Rich actually enjoyed a bit of a challenge :)

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Okay, about a 6 month wait, I might have money by then.

I love a lot of the colors.

I was never interested before because I didn't know you need to look on Facebook, not just etsy, to see what you can get, and honestly because I didn't know he did turned, I don't think the big ones with no turning would flatter me.

Kina
March 13th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Okay, about a 6 month wait, I might have money by then.

I love a lot of the colors.

I was never interested before because I didn't know you need to look on Facebook, not just etsy, to see what you can get, and honestly because I didn't know he did turned, I don't think the big ones with no turning would flatter me.

I think you'd be surprised, the oval ones are very very nice and I think they'd look lovely on you

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the compliment Kina. And for the info Adiro.
I'm on th list with 41 ahead so time to think. I am sure I will need you ladies advice.

Adiro
March 14th, 2015, 12:35 AM
I agree with Kina, I have only one oval but it is superb, and very confortable. Really work it, do get at least one for trying!
They are also somewhat more affordable.... Just less customizable, lol( is that a word?)

schnibbles
March 14th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Chen, I have a 6" oval and it's really not any bigger-looking than a Lady Idun when it's in my bun. The ovals are kind of flat on 2 sides; in pics I don't think that translates if you know what I mean.

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I like ovals. You can always ask Rich to make a smaller version as well. He's ever so agreeable. I'm on his list for some 5" two_wheels sized ones :)

I like Eads too. To me, they are just different. Ead's finish is wonderfully shiny and they are the only acrylics that would work every time for me at CBL. I don't know how that works but I still love him for that. Rich has some amazing unique acrylics, his sticks have a chunkier feel, the finish is also perfect, just different, and he's very jolly to chat with. But if a vendor is a non-chatty type of person, like I imagine Ead to be, then I'd rather they just be themselves and not feel obliged to make awkward small talk.

I think if Ead had a lovely other half who had time to help him with that side, nobody would have issues. As it is, if you're ok with potential surprises then he's good.

I just got a perfect order from Ead.

I do get hit with UK border control customs charges on both of these vendors, if that's an issue for anyone.