PDA

View Full Version : Hairspiration pics of very stylish looking longish hair?

leilani
March 5th, 2015, 03:17 AM
I'm having a period where long, thick, and especially straight hair just doesn't leave me feeling very stylish. I really need some ideas of how to wear naturally straight hair (up to waist length) that looks really stylish and not hippie or matronly or old fashioned. Help me out!

I'm starting to consider actually styling my hair regularly in order to avoid cutting my hair out of boredom. Updos are not an option for many reasons. Any pics you guys could post of some cool ways to wear long straight hair that feels modern and stylish? I'm even considering dyeing the ends to add some glamour and avoid a drastic chop. (damage will be cut out in my monthly trims anyway by the end of the year so what does it matter?)

Should I go for heat styling since my hair has no splits and really blunt ends and I am trying to trim out the henna anyways (so I don't care that much about the red length and the condition, just the 4" of virgin roots which I wouldn't need to heat).

KittyBird
March 5th, 2015, 03:33 AM
I don't have many suggestions, but I'm subscribing for pictures and inspiration! I mostly wear half-ups with flexi-8s nowadays, sometimes braids. :)

Upside Down
March 5th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Check out the heatless waves topic, if that's your thing. Color wise, maybe look into deposit only dyes since they don't damage the hair, and you seem pretty light in you siggy so they should work.

Sorry, I have no pictures ;)

gwenalyn
March 5th, 2015, 01:30 PM
You said your ends are blunt, you could try cutting in some subtle layers in the bottom few inches to see if you like the way it hangs better. Bonus, less henna to grow out!

endlessly
March 5th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, but I have very thick wavy hair. For me, braids work the best and you can still incorporate a few decorative braids but wear the rest of your hair long. Typically, I would suggest turning to Google, but even their idea of "very, very long hairstyles" is limited to just about shoulder length...*sigh*.

If you like to watch films, take a look at Ever After with Drew Barrymore...lots of very long straight hair with beautiful hairstyles. I'm a bit biased because it is my favorite movie, but I've gotten tons of ideas from that film - although sadly, they were all wigs :(

kganihanova
March 5th, 2015, 02:23 PM
You could do half ups with mini claws and braids. Those are fun to break up the "monotony". GoT styles may also be an option for you. I know you don't like updos but crown braids can be fun...

leilani
March 6th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Right now my scalp is so sensitive from headaches coming and going that any sort of updo makes my head throb. Gotta be down.
Gwenalyn, I have lots of layers. I meant blunt ends that my hemline looks blunt and thick (I cut it straight across) and there is no apparent damage or natural taper happening, so I think I could get away with some heat or dye on the last few inches without it dissolving in my hands immediately or anything. And it's all getting chopped off in the next year anyways, so.....

memeow
March 6th, 2015, 01:23 AM
I don't really have suggestions but I'm definitely subscribing, because I also find myself walking the line of hippie/grandma constantly. Not that there is anything wrong with hippies or grandma's, but sometimes I want to feel a little chic, you know?

leilani
March 6th, 2015, 02:05 AM
There's definitely not. My mom was a hate ashbury hippie with long long straight blonde hair and now she's a grandmother with long silver hair and I like it! It always looks good.
Buuuut, I'm really struggling with feeling frumpy(second half of pregnancy also has something to do with that!) myself and I need some ideas.

I moussed up my hair while dry until it felt damp and then put my hair up in five sections wrapped around foam air curlers, and it looked good 3 hrs later when I took it down. It was not totally dry so the curls loosened while it finished drying so if I left it overnight it would work better. Gave my hair lovely big loose curls and now, next day, it looks beach wavy.

Arctic
March 6th, 2015, 05:58 AM
How about a half-up, where you would do for example 3 fishtail braids instead of one, since you have the thickness. I have seen a picture somewhere (Pinterest) but couldn't find it for you.

Braided styles in general. If you like modern look and are running out of time, a fake fishtail braid would look nice and is very quick to do (google it).

Or, have you seen a carousel braided ponytail? I wonder if that could be done without actually ponytailing?

Arctic
March 6th, 2015, 06:01 AM
I'm a fan of temporary dyes, you might like changing up the growing out henna with some?

If you go for heat tools, I am in love with curling wand from Remington. Makes awesome curls or beachy waves and lasts several days.

Oh, and maybe some vintage inspired styling in the front, like victory rolls?

HintOfMint
March 6th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I've been feeling bored with my hair as well, but I've been chalking it up to how fashion is at the moment. There aren't really any hair trends going on now. Side braids, ombre, loose waves, pin straight, retro curls, side bangs, full bangs, wispy bangs... etc. were all very popular at some point in the last few years, but nothing is taking center stage at the moment.

I guess the most popular thing now is to let hair do its own thing and not be too groomed. I suppose "messy" is a way to put it, but it doesn't even seem messy on purpose; it's just not styled. I've had my hair blown out and styled, both straight and in glamorous curls, in the last few months, but each time I left the house, it just seemed off.

Maybe a rag-curl (or choose your favorite heat free curling method) with a texturizing spray/pomade to approximate a messier look would be something to try. It would change up your hair rut and be current.

Arctic
March 6th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I know what is in: slicking your hair back and the visible gel/wetlook is cool. Combined with peroxide blonde this is The Look ATM. :)

Shorty89
March 6th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I think bangs can help with that. I know they help me feel more stylish, and less bleh.

Mehry
March 6th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Seconding Shorty89 - Bangs make a huge difference between drab and fab - google the best bangs according to face shape, because blunt, choppy, side-swept, etc, can make a huge difference. And bangs have been pretty "in" somewhat recently. Even if bangs themselves are out, I've had great luck especially with some nice feathering to frame the face.

Mehry
March 6th, 2015, 10:08 AM
http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/long/bangs.html

Here's some inspirations ...

leilani
March 6th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I'm growing out my bangs (they were so unflattering) since September. They are finally side swept length, but even longer (to the jaw) is most flattering on my round face.

hypersensitive
March 6th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Put in some texture. I put my hair into a French braid and sleep on it. In the morning I get gorgeous braid waves!

I've also been styling with great tools and create glamorous waves where I wear it all on one side over my shoulder.

JustPam
March 6th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Silvousplaits on YouTube has a tutorial for a faux side-shave style which looks modern and kinda alternative. It's from one of the Hunger Games films, character called Cressida (in case anybody follows them, I don't) here's the link (http://youtu.be/Qp0vW2jUt_0)

I tried it once but my hair is too thin to get a good size braid that I can handle easily.

leilani
March 8th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I just slept in foam rollers (10 sections) and got big curls, we'll oiled post wash so they shine. Indoor poor quality mirror selfie pic in my signature.
I'm happy for today.