PDA

View Full Version : Blue hair colouring? :)

Rebecka
March 4th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking about coloring my hair blue with temporary dye (manic panic or directions). I have black hair with red tones in. The black dye was a mistake :(. But i think it would suit me. I'm very pale and have blue eyes etc. And also the roots that are coming out are dark and a bit ashier than the rest of the hair. I think the warm reddish black i have now maybe makes me look paler and the roots even ashier.

What do you think, should i give it a try? I don't even know if the colour would get stuck on my dark hair.

I've only used that kind of dye on bleached hair before, and from what i know it was the bleach that made the damage:p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15249&d=1421300603

Thanks if you read all this :flower:

Anje
March 4th, 2015, 12:33 PM
On your dark hair, blue dye is going to be very, very dark. Think blue-black hair, not bright blue. Honestly, this could be a neat look, but I don't know whether that's what you're wanting.

Rebecka
March 4th, 2015, 12:39 PM
On your dark hair, blue dye is going to be very, very dark. Think blue-black hair, not bright blue. Honestly, this could be a neat look, but I don't know whether that's what you're wanting.

It's what i want! I see now I wasn't clear with that. I want it to have blue shades instead of red. Do you know if it would work?

gwenalyn
March 4th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Here is what it would look like, I think:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=59231&page=11&p=1829372&viewfull=1#post1829372

I think she eventually settled on Pravana as the longest-lasting blue dye--you can read through the rest of the thread.

I have to say I've never wanted blue-black hair until I saw those comparison pictures, and now I'm tempted. So shiny! So striking! My hair is naturally a very dark brown, so it would be easy to do. But then I'd look like my mom :rolleyes:

TaterTot
March 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
It'll be purple over the red, blue black over the black.
sFx is always my favorite dye

Auracle
March 4th, 2015, 01:19 PM
It should work to give you a blue black look if that is what you're going for. Depending on how red/warm the current tone is you might get a very dark purple hue the first time or two. Manic Panic, Pravana and the Ion line at Sally Beauty all have some nice blue shades.

Rebecka
March 4th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Here is what it would look like, I think:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=59231&page=11&p=1829372&viewfull=1#post1829372

I think she eventually settled on Pravana as the longest-lasting blue dye--you can read through the rest of the thread.

I have to say I've never wanted blue-black hair until I saw those comparison pictures, and now I'm tempted. So shiny! So striking! My hair is naturally a very dark brown, so it would be easy to do. But then I'd look like my mom :rolleyes:
Thanks for that link, that's exactly how i want it! It's so to dye for!

It'll be purple over the red, blue black over the black.
sFx is always my favorite dye
I think i'd start applicate after the roots, on the sides i'm almost blonde, would maybe look weird :P

It should work to give you a blue black look if that is what you're going for. Depending on how red/warm the current tone is you might get a very dark purple hue the first time or two. Manic Panic, Pravana and the Ion line at Sally Beauty all have some nice blue shades.
Yes, i bought directions already. Can't wait for it to arrive! Sounds like purple is the risk, but well, it's just temporary :)

endlessly
March 4th, 2015, 01:52 PM
If it's what you want, then I would say to try it. The worst that could happen is that you get a bit of purple, but since it's only a temporary dye, I wouldn't be too worried. The one thing I've always liked about Manic Panic personally is that it honestly doesn't cause much damage - unless you're being a bit rough when applying it - and if you completely hate the color, it only takes a few shampoos to lighten it.

Rebecka
March 4th, 2015, 02:17 PM
If it's what you want, then I would say to try it. The worst that could happen is that you get a bit of purple, but since it's only a temporary dye, I wouldn't be too worried. The one thing I've always liked about Manic Panic personally is that it honestly doesn't cause much damage - unless you're being a bit rough when applying it - and if you completely hate the color, it only takes a few shampoos to lighten it.

Exactly!

I will post the result in this thread, hope it will arrive before the weekend! :)

Rebecka
March 6th, 2015, 08:02 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16279&d=1425654023

On the pictures to the left i can see a bit of other shades, but from far it seems to be nothing. I think I will try to applicate one more time in drier hair.

red-again
March 6th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Which blue did you use?

pastina
March 6th, 2015, 08:23 AM
wash with clarifying shampoo (or dandruff shampoo), let air dry completely, then apply the dye and leave on for as long as you can stand under a shower cap. that might help.

Rebecka
March 6th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Which blue did you use?

Directions Atlantic blue

wash with clarifying shampoo (or dandruff shampoo), let air dry completely, then apply the dye and leave on for as long as you can stand under a shower cap. that might help.

Yes, I will try that. I read you're supposed to apply on damp hair, but mine was maybe to wet.

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2015, 08:39 AM
If you've dyed your hair any colour, temporary colours will stick to it fairly well, regardless. I've had good luck using reds and warmer shades, but you shouldn't have an issue with the blue. On Manic Panic's website, people using it on virgin hair were leaving it in overnight for best results.

Rebecka
March 6th, 2015, 09:43 AM
If you've dyed your hair any colour, temporary colours will stick to it fairly well, regardless. I've had good luck using reds and warmer shades, but you shouldn't have an issue with the blue. On Manic Panic's website, people using it on virgin hair were leaving it in overnight for best results.

Will stick temporary or a long time? I've had partly blue hair before, then I bleached the hair first. I can't remember how long it lasted though. I've also had stripes in pink and green, these stayed quite long, but i don't wash much so.

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Will stick temporary or a long time? I've had partly blue hair before, then I bleached the hair first. I can't remember how long it lasted though. I've also had stripes in pink and green, these stayed quite long, but i don't wash much so.

It's going to stain to some degree for quite a while, but in my experience, all dyes (even permanent ones) will fade eventually. Actually!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/emagdalene/29879_1465513203580_1406021342_1244531_2542530_n.j pg

I'm sorry for the incredibly weird face I am making in the picture, but the point is, that was Manic Panic Pillarbox over henna/permanent dye. I would dye my roots every few months and then use Manic Panic about every three weeks or so to refresh the colour. My hair was quite light underneath that, so the colour was pretty intense, but the idea here is that it was a brighter gloss I was using to keep it bright.

You don't have to use it as often as I was, but if you want to keep it blueish, you might want to consider using MP every month or two months. I would suggest using one of the darker blues, by the way.

Rebecka
March 7th, 2015, 01:50 AM
It's going to stain to some degree for quite a while, but in my experience, all dyes (even permanent ones) will fade eventually. Actually!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/emagdalene/29879_1465513203580_1406021342_1244531_2542530_n.j pg

I'm sorry for the incredibly weird face I am making in the picture, but the point is, that was Manic Panic Pillarbox over henna/permanent dye. I would dye my roots every few months and then use Manic Panic about every three weeks or so to refresh the colour. My hair was quite light underneath that, so the colour was pretty intense, but the idea here is that it was a brighter gloss I was using to keep it bright.

You don't have to use it as often as I was, but if you want to keep it blueish, you might want to consider using MP every month or two months. I would suggest using one of the darker blues, by the way.

That's a very nice shade! The blue is dark, really. Looks almost black when i look down in the jar. I'm growing out the dark dye, that's why i don't want the blue to stick for too long. But since the black dye doesn't seem to be temporary as it said, I guess i have to wait for it to maybe get a bit lighter. Then I can aswell try a different shade for a while. But since i like the result i think i'll do it some more times :)

stachelbeere
March 7th, 2015, 02:24 AM
I've got a little experience with directions atlantic blue in a similar "hair situation" - ash brown roots and henna growing out but my goal was different to yours - I wanted to cool down the henna - here are pictures (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11508&attachmentid=8314). It looks similar to what you achieved.

However...it was a hassle to do that so I now use the atlantic blue to tone a bleached test strand - the strand is carrot orange (because of the henna) + blue = forest green at first, then emerald green, warming up to a turquoise after 3 months.

I also used the same atlantic blue to test dye my cousin's virgin ash brown hair - it turned green.

Why am I writing this? idk. I think atlantic blue with ash brown hair will turn the hair green. I think to achieve blue you probably will also need black on the ashy parts like people already said in this thread :)

Rebecka
March 7th, 2015, 02:59 AM
I've got a little experience with directions atlantic blue in a similar "hair situation" - ash brown roots and henna growing out but my goal was different to yours - I wanted to cool down the henna - here are pictures (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11508&attachmentid=8314). It looks similar to what you achieved.

However...it was a hassle to do that so I now use the atlantic blue to tone a bleached test strand - the strand is carrot orange (because of the henna) + blue = forest green at first, then emerald green, warming up to a turquoise after 3 months.

I also used the same atlantic blue to test dye my cousin's virgin ash brown hair - it turned green.

Why am I writing this? idk. I think atlantic blue with ash brown hair will turn the hair green. I think to achieve blue you probably will also need black on the ashy parts like people already said in this thread :)

That's why i was careful to not touch the roots ;) I'm also blonde on some places, would probably also look funny with green and blue roots :D I put conditioner on the blonde roots to not get them blue. I think my hair is dark enough to not end up green, after this coloring it looks a bit darker and shinier, and if i do again i hope for better result.

Thanks for sharing this, I think your result is gorgeous (and the henna is to!)

Arctic
March 7th, 2015, 05:33 AM
When I use my Directions (red shades) I do the prep like this:

Clarifying shampoo, no conditioner or leave-in. I like putting it on on damp hair, but have also tried on dry hair. Same results from both to me (virgin, medium ash brown hair, no bleaching).

I usually let it sit at least an hours, but have probably never gone more than 2 hours. Overnight would be a disaster and my bed would look like murder scene in the mornig - red dye everywhere!

When I have rinsed (I also shampoo it again, but most probably don't - I find it helps with the dry staining on the next days) I condition and do an acidic rinse.

After that I wash my hair like I would normally do: shampoo often, warm water, etc. My colour stays nice for few weeks then it has lost some punch but is still ok. Then it starts to look a bit drab and muted, but after it has faided some more it looks nice again. Go figure. All and all I'd say it is at least somewhat visible in my hair for 2 months (very faint in the end) but I recently noticed that my old dye did in fact show in photos even though it was more like 4 months.

If the dyeing process would be easier I'd do it more often. Well it is easy, but all the precautions to not to get staines on bathroom and me and all the cleaning afterwards, that is laborous.

stachelbeere
March 7th, 2015, 06:48 AM
That's why i was careful to not touch the roots ;) I'm also blonde on some places, would probably also look funny with green and blue roots :D I put conditioner on the blonde roots to not get them blue. I think my hair is dark enough to not end up green, after this coloring it looks a bit darker and shinier, and if i do again i hope for better result.

Thanks for sharing this, I think your result is gorgeous (and the henna is to!)

hehe yeah, I thought you might know this but I wrote about it anyway - maybe someone else will benefit from this :) I'm curious what the end results will be - oh and thank you for the compliment! My henna reached the 'ombre' stage so I just pretend that this is what it's supposed to look, you guys

Rebecka
March 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16347&d=1426108252

So my dad took a picture with flash, and it looks really blue???? Me gusta.