PDA

View Full Version : BEYOND frustrated!

xoChesleyy
March 3rd, 2015, 08:51 PM
So I just recently bought a new pair of hair shears for $60 and I've only used them a few times. Well, I came home this morning and my sister (who is from Maine and is staying at my house for two weeks) was showing me these leggings she had cut up. I asked her what scissors she used and she said "Those in the case over there." and pointed to my brand new scissors.. I am so frustrated and I don't want to risk splits so I guess I have to throw them out.. :/ I use my hair shears ONLY for hair and I feel as though they are now ruined. What do you guys think-- Safe for using on hair or should I just not risk it and buy a new pair?

afinemess
March 3rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
Omg, I would be upset too. I hate when people use my good crafting scissors for other things...

Maybe give them a nice sharpen?

kdaniels8811
March 3rd, 2015, 08:59 PM
If she used them for fabric they should be ok. It is paper that tears up good scissors.

ARG
March 3rd, 2015, 09:20 PM
Yeah, fabric should be fine, and since it was only used once you shouldn't worry. If you are still having doubts any place that sharpens knives should have no problem sharpening the shears. Call around and see what you can find.

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 09:22 PM
My favorite hair sheers are made for silk fabric

xoChesleyy
March 3rd, 2015, 10:44 PM
I'm not even sure if she used the shears ONLY for the leggings or if she used them for anything else.. I don't know of any places nearby that sharpen knives, so that really isn't an option for me either. I don't know if they're still sharp enough to use where I won't get any splits or if I should just buy new ones..

truepeacenik
March 3rd, 2015, 11:06 PM
Wait, sharpening is out of the question but throwing away perfectly good shears isn't?
Look online. Search "sharpening services near <enter your zip or postal code>"

furnival
March 4th, 2015, 12:06 AM
If a pair of scissors were capable of being ruined by cutting through some fabric, I'd question whether they were worth $6, let alone $60. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary hysteria about this sort of thing. Scissors are a tool with a sharp edge, and any tool with a sharp edge will be blunted minutely every time it is used. Cutting through fabric or paper will not damage scissors; it will simply blunt them slightly more than cutting through hair would. All this means is that you may need to get them sharpened sooner than you would have done if you had used them only for hair.

ravenheather
March 4th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I would have them sharpened.

Angela_Rose
March 4th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Unless she was cutting denim or burlap or some other heavy or harsh fabric, you should be fine. Otherwise, call your local craft store or barbershop and see where they get their scissors/shears/blades sharpened.

RedStripe
March 4th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I agree on sharpening. Unless you are living in a very small community, it shouldn't be difficult to find a professional sharpening service. Try resources such as kitchen goods shops; they sometimes have knife sharpening and might be willing to do scissors as well. Fabric and craft stores might also either have a service or know someone they can recommend.

In my area there's even a guy who does a mobile service out of a big truck, and comes to my neighborhood farmers market every weekend. He did a wonderful job on my sewing shears and could even tell how old it was by its case. (Yes, I have the sewing scissors I got in high school [I'm 60], and yes I still have the case it came in. I'm nerdy that way about some things.)

eadwine
March 4th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Have them sharpened by a professional, unless sharpening costs more than new ones, of course.

MoonlitWitch
March 4th, 2015, 01:50 PM
If you have a hair salon or dog grooming salon near you then you also have a place that sharpens scissors. Even if you don't have one, you can mail them to any sharpening place you want. It is inexpensive and easy to get scissors sharpened or even repaired so I definitely wouldn't throw them away. I get my grooming shears sharpened three times a year.

lapushka
March 4th, 2015, 04:08 PM
If she only used them once, I wouldn't freak out over it. They're fine!

hennalonghair
March 4th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Yep! .......

If you have a hair salon or dog grooming salon near you then you also have a place that sharpens scissors. Even if you don't have one, you can mail them to any sharpening place you want. It is inexpensive and easy to get scissors sharpened or even repaired so I definitely wouldn't throw them away. I get my grooming shears sharpened three times a year.

kaydana
March 4th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Are you planning on replacing your scissors every time you cut your hair?

You are massively overreacting about this. If she'd filled your house with homemade paper confetti, then you'd have a reason to be annoyed. She didn't do that, she used the scissors to cut up a single piece of clothing made from a fairly light fabric, there is no reason whatsoever why they wouldn't be perfectly fine. Fabric scores pretty highly on the "minimal blunting of scissors" scale, and for what it's worth my fabric shears that I've had for years and use fairly regularly are still sharper than any new pair of hair scissors I've ever owned.

You don't need to throw out the scissors. You don't even need to sharpen them.

RavennaNight
March 5th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I understand why you're reacting this way about the scissors. There are soooo many threads about how hair scissors are only for hair and if they're used for something else they are rendered useless. If you spent that much on a pair of scissors, if I were you I wouldn't worry so much. Clearly you paid for quality? I'm sure an expensive pair like that is of superior quality, and for piece of mind just have them sharpened.

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Are you planning on replacing your scissors every time you cut your hair?

You are massively overreacting about this. If she'd filled your house with homemade paper confetti, then you'd have a reason to be annoyed. She didn't do that, she used the scissors to cut up a single piece of clothing made from a fairly light fabric, there is no reason whatsoever why they wouldn't be perfectly fine. Fabric scores pretty highly on the "minimal blunting of scissors" scale, and for what it's worth my fabric shears that I've had for years and use fairly regularly are still sharper than any new pair of hair scissors I've ever owned.

You don't need to throw out the scissors. You don't even need to sharpen them.

Yes, I totally agree with this! :agree:

chen bao jun
March 5th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Your scissors are fine, but I feel your pain.

For 30 years I've had to hide EVERYTHING to keep it intact or used for its proper purpose.

Now I am cleaning and redecorating and finding a ton of things hidden so well that I forgot I had them myself...

Its really annoying to never find anything where you left it, much less used for some other purpose and wrecked, which has been my life with a husband and three sons. Or even worse, just disappeared forever. As in, I broke this and I know she'll have a fit and so I'll just quietly dispose of it and pretend I don't know what she's talking about when she asks about it. They have all perfected the clueless look long ago, as in, what are you talking about? I never saw any whatever it is, ever. Is it that time or the month? Is that your problem?

One of my sons pierced his ears himself and started wearing my diamond earrings, to give just one example. Without asking or mentioning. I don't even know his ears are pierced and I see his ears glittering..with MY earrings in them.

Oh--and my husbands mom died a few months back. About a month ago, I took out the hand decorated towels she made us over the years. I said to hubby, do you see these? These are handmade for us by your mom and she will never, ever now make us anymore. If you take them out of the house and wipe up oil stain spills from your car with them that is it, she is not sending us a package of towels from heaven.

I still don't really expect the towels to last intact for long. Even though, with lace and embroidery all over them, they don't really look anything like car rags.

I'm not angry at him, or anything, he's a great man, he's been out checking the level of the snow in the storm we are having periodically all day and he will shovel it all by himself AND he will turn my car around so I can easily drive it out tomorrow AND the car is serviced by him without me ever thinking about AND he will even wait at the top of the driveway to see that I get out safe in spite of the snow hills on the side and if I look like I'm in trouble, he will come and drive the car to the street for me...

But I don't expect those towels to be left looking pretty and I buy a new pair of fabric scissors VERY often, in spite of hiding the ones I have in all kinds of different ways, becasue they always get found and used to pry open cardboard boxes with.

So I understand why you feel the need to blow off some steam here.

two_wheels
March 5th, 2015, 05:31 PM
The scissors are probably fine like Kaydana and others are saying.

I get it on the intrusion, though. Like Chen says. I too have had to develop a habit of hiding from my darling husband the few material things that it would upset me to see broken. He is an absolute sweetheart. The thing is that he just sees a pair of scissors - not my fabric scissors - or a knife to hack through packaging - not our lovely sharp kitchen knives. So I'd be sensitive about this too, not because the scissors are blunt now, but because if they treat them as theirs then maybe they are cutting paper or cardboard with them, or ripping boxes open with them, or well, who knows?

I suggest hiding your stuff, relaxing about the current state of the scissors & forgiving your sister.

two_wheels
March 5th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Dubbel post kittenz
(labelled by google as suitable for non-commercial reuse)
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/153/f/e/cute_kittens_20_great_pictures_1_by_skylertrinityr apture-d67m2f6.jpg

chen bao jun
March 5th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Yeah, forgive your sister :)

I hope she's not as good at finding things as hubby is.