PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem.

gustavonut
March 3rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
The area around my bald spot caused from chemical burns is constantly, and I mean CONSTANTly itchy. :mad:
No matter what shampoo or product I use it is always itchy after I take a shower. I try not to itch it but it bothers me so much and I can't fix it. ;( and to add, it hurts when I over-itch it.
For those of you that don't know, I got my hair bleached 3 and a half years ago for my birthday. And it did not turn out good at all. I got chemical burns all over my scalp. I had a couple mini bald spots for a while but those are gone now (I think). My main bald spot used to be the size of a 50 cent coin and now it's slightly smaller than a quarter..but anyway... Any thoughts on what to do about this annoying itching?!

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'd see a dermatologist about this ASAP! :flower:

Something that happened 3 years ago should have healed by now. It's quite possible that there is a scar where you got that chemical burn and the hair won't grow. Or maybe it's actually growing in, which is why you are noticing that the bald spot is getting smaller. I heard that regrowing hair can cause slightly itchy scalp, but I've never seen any scientific support for that, so I don't know.
It's very likely to be some inflammation of the skin, but again, can't say - you need a doctor to look at that spot.
In the meantime, make sure you always cover that bald spot with a hat when you are out: UV rays can potentially be even more damaging in this case!

gustavonut
March 3rd, 2015, 03:34 PM
I'd see a dermatologist about this ASAP! :flower:

Something that happened 3 years ago should have healed by now. It's quite possible that there is a scar where you got that chemical burn and the hair won't grow. Or maybe it's actually growing in, which is why you are noticing that the bald spot is getting smaller. I heard that regrowing hair can cause slightly itchy scalp, but I've never seen any scientific support for that, so I don't know.
It's very likely to be some inflammation of the skin, but again, can't say - you need a doctor to look at that spot.
In the meantime, make sure you always cover that bald spot with a hat when you are out: UV rays can potentially be even more damaging in this case!
Thank you, you actually made me feel better about this. I'll definitely get checked out whenever is possible.
People say they can't see my bald spot but I can always feel it and it's right on the top of my head basically. :/ if it's windy outside people CAN see it... And every time someone sees it they always say "ooo that's bad" It sucks so much. :cry:

Shibe
March 3rd, 2015, 11:54 PM
I believe I read on the catnip tea thread that it does soothe irritation for a while- perhaps make yourself some catnip tea and see if that soothes the itch in the meantime?

lapushka
March 4th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Yeah, seconding a derm. When my scalp got burned, I was prescribed a cortisone lotion, and that helped tremendously. It needed a few weeks to feel somewhat normal again, though. Anyway, that's when I said bu-bye to coloring/bleaching.

sjlaurence
March 4th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Thank you, you actually made me feel better about this. I'll definitely get checked out whenever is possible.
People say they can't see my bald spot but I can always feel it and it's right on the top of my head basically. :/ if it's windy outside people CAN see it... And every time someone sees it they always say "ooo that's bad" It sucks so much. :cry:

I'm so sorry you got burnt (hug).
You should seriously consider seeing a dermatologist about the itch and you could talk to them about scar treatments. There might be some way to get the scars even smaller.

I have scars on my face, neck, hands, and my one arm from burning too. In the beginning I was self conscious but I learnt that people simply don't notice as much as you think. All my scars have their own stories and I love to tell them. Scars are a tangible representation of what you have overcome, they are life's tattoos.

Anje
March 4th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Yep, get a doctor!

In the meantime, some hydrocortisone cream or diphenhydramine cream (benadryl, works better for me than OTC hydrocortisone) for a few days shouldn't hurt. Don't use them longer than recommended without a doctor's approval, though.

Buckie
March 5th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Slightly different scenario, but I have a very sensitive scalp that likes to itch, and I occasionally get a red eczema-like spot at the front of my hairline. I found that applying aloe can help. Probably straight from a plant would be best, but I have used Aubrey and Lily of the Desert brands. Sometimes I also put a bit of jojoba oil on it.

My next plan is to buy a shower filter.

Best of luck!

Doreen
March 5th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Agree that you should see a dermatologist, but in the meantime to relieve the itch/pain you could try rubbing some vick's vapor rub on it; it's pretty goopy but always does the trick for me on ANYTHING that itches. Just use a very thin layer so it will be easier to wash out. Better than any of those anti-itch creams and I've never found it to damage my hair or scalp over a short span of time.

dreamingstar
March 5th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Or, you could talk to your local pharmacist. :) I work at Walgreens (I'm a pharmacy technician in-training), and the pharmacists that work there are extremely knowledgeable. They can't prescribe you anything of course, but a pharmacist can recommend something that could work very well. Pharmacists tend to know the ingredients of things, how they work, and what works best, better than any doctor. At the very least, you could find out what you need to talk to your doctor about - or even recommendations of what could/should be prescribed.

gustavonut
March 6th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Thank you all for your help and support, once I go to the doctor I'll let everyone know if it's serious or not. I just hope hair can grow back in the spot. I started rubbing castor oil lightly on the spot as well, hopefully that will help!

turtlelover
March 6th, 2015, 01:52 PM
You could have gotten a secondary infection where the burn happened. See a Dr. ASAP.

Creagan
March 6th, 2015, 03:14 PM
My head gets itchy as my hair dries. I find that just rubbing- not scratching, rubbing- helps the itching stop without irritating my scalp the way scratching would

But definitely see a doctor just to be safe.