PDA

View Full Version : Pesky layers - to trim or not

jivete
September 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
So eventually I want to get rid of my layers. Right now the longest part of my hair is about 1" longer than the shorter layer. I've done some micro-trims in the last several months, but the wispy ends are really starting to bug me. My original goal was to wait until I hit 25" and then maintain, but I still have an inch to go and I'd really like to even it up. Plus, it seems like the distance between layers isn't getting any smaller. Looking back at pictures, it almost seems bigger.

I'd just trim 1/2" and be done with it for a month or so, but one of the reasons I never seem to be able to grow my hair is because I'm a slave to trimming, to the point I think I sabotage my growth. I really like blunt ends, but my hair doesn't seem to be a fan. :)

So what would you guys do? Would you trim a little now or wait. I was hoping to push it to November, even though I won't be at 25", but I don't know. Pic is below along with a link to a larger file.

Thanks!

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Sept_30_08_1.jpg

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Sept_30_08_1-2.jpg

spidermom
September 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Because of the shed and regrow cycle, you're always going to have hairs at lots of different lengths. Obvious layered haircuts look about the same as hair that was never layered after a few years. If I were you, I'd make a plan, such as trim 1/2" every 3 months, and stick to it.

Silver Strands
September 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Are you saying your longest hair is only 1" longer than the shortest layer?
If so, i'd even it out now.
However, if you mean next layer up, what is the difference between your shortest
and your longest?

I cut henna out of my hair in May '07. It was cut into 3" layers all over.

I have spent the last 16 months trimming the bottom little by little to get rid of the layers.
I think I actually trimmed !! 5 !! inches off the bottom to get rid of scraggly layers.
As a result i've spent many months at collarbone length.

My shortest bangs are only 1 1/2"- 2 1/2" shorter than the rest of my hair now and I
am DONE trimming and just want to focus on gaining some length now.

So many on here look great growing out layers, especially the wavier, curlier ones.
But with my hair, it was just scruffly looking.

jivete
September 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, I guess I wasn't too clear. I used to have layers purposely cut in. When I look at my hair, I can see this line where the bulk of the hair is and then this wispy curtain of thinner hair which is my longest layer. It looks really bad to me, but it might just be me. I agree Spidermom that I should stick to a schedule but it's hard because it tends to look so ratty on the ends. The layers are looking pretty bad too and S&D just keeps them from being tangly.

So I guess I'm really asking, does it look as bad as I think? Does the jagged, slightly thinner hem look okay or would I be better to just even up a little now? I'm afraid if I trim 1/2" today, I'll just want to trim another 1/2" next month and then another and then it'll never get longer.

spidermom
September 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It doesn't look bad to me, but if it will make you feel better, go ahead and get rid of that longest, thinnest layer. Then start your plan of trimming to maintain a thicker, more even hem. My schedule is 1/2-inch trimmed off every 3 months, except this year I've been trimming more than that because I had a major attack of the split ends. End result - no length increase since this time last year.

sky
October 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM
It looks as if you've got the start of fairy-tale ends going there...have you thought about encouraging that?

sky

mortiziia
October 1st, 2008, 02:37 AM
I got rid of mine trimming every third month starting in Jan 07 and a final cut to even out in August, only six weeks after my previous trim. I had to cut nearly 5'' in August and was happy enough with the result, so if your longest layer is really bothering you, get rid of it now and be done with it. One inch is no big deal! Then continue on your trimming schedule - maybe you won't see your hair grow altogether, but you'll see how those layers dissapear and that's just as rewarding. At least it was for me.

Here I am, layer-less at last!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1841&pictureid=22080

Katze
October 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM
I'm in a similar situation to yours. In summer 2004 I had a nice trendy "shag cut" ending at shoulder (see upper left pic in sig). As this grew out I decided I wanted long hair, but every time I went to a salon they hacked off lots of length and added more layers.

After finding LHC, i started trimming myself and just focusing on that longest, straggliest, wispiest layer.

My longest layer is now past BSL and the shortest just at shoulder (avatar pic). On the days where my hair is wavier (2a-2b) thin ends look OK. On straighter hair days (1c) it looks bad. I don't seem to have much control over my wave but have been adding lots of moisture to the ends again to help the wave.

Personally, if I were you I'd trim just that last see-through layer. I think fairy tale ends can look nice when they taper gently from the rest of your hair, but with thicker hair like yours they can detract from the overall look, IMO, and make your hair look less healthy. For me quality is more important than quantity, which is why I have trimmed so much but my hair is now thickening up, even on the length.

good luck and let us know what you decide!

Arctic_Mama
October 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
That's not a bad distance between layers - mine if five inches shudder:! I'd do two half-inch trims over the course of four months, myself. I am personally growing out to my waist before any huge trims, I'll be doing 1/4 inch every four months otherwise, unless there's some damage. The only reason I am even bothering evening it up is because the HUGE discrepancy makes it hard to do updos!

Carolyn
October 1st, 2008, 04:27 AM
When I was growing out my layers a few years back, I trimmed about an inch every 3 months. I realized it wasn't going to get longer quickly but I wanted to be done with the layers as fast as possible. I think I'd trim a half inch now and maybe another half inch around the first of the new year. Sometimes you have to make a choice for a while between gaining length and improving the hemline. Which is most important? That's up to you to decide.

Periwinkle
October 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM
If that were all I had, I'd just even it up now.

However, I have lots more layers than that, and cutting them all out would mean shoulder length :( And even then, there's still thinning.

jivete
October 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone.

Sky, I like fairy tale ends on others but not on me and not at my current length.

Katze, my hair is similar to yours. When it's wavy, the ends don't look nearly as bad. You've mentioned scalp cleavage before in posts and I get monstrous cleavage after day 2.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I'll probably wait a week and then decide. I did a micro-trim at the beginning of September and we're supposed to go on a cruise in December and I know I'll want to trim before that.

I know an inch doesn't seem like a lot, but this is pretty much the longest my hair has been and I've honestly been trying to grow it for at least 16 years. Trimming too much or too often has always been a problem for me.

Well, up it goes until I can figure it out. Maybe I should aim to maintain at 24" instead of 25" until my ends are sufficiently thick and then problem solved!