PDA

View Full Version : I want black hair...without dye?

firevegan
March 1st, 2015, 10:54 PM
But I heard that henndigo is a bad idea. Any successful black haired henndigos wanna tell me the pros and cons?

maborosi
March 2nd, 2015, 01:44 AM
Henna/Indigo isn't necessarily a bad idea...just an extremely permanent one that you have to 100000% be committed to.

My problem with doing the 2-step was that it was extremely finicky if it wanted to stick or not. If it stuck, it was on there forever, if not, it'd fade and be patchy.
Eventually, through many attempts, I got it to stick. It comes out a true, blue-black. Make sure that's what you want and it looks good with your skintone. Some henna/indigo mixes (the ones that aren't 2-step applications) might yield a more brown-black.

It will not come out of your hair, though. If you're 100% sure you want jet black hair forever, a 2-step process might be the way to go. If not, don't do it. It is permanent. I can't stress how permanent I'm talking, either.
I had to cut off my hair, I did 2 volume 40 bleach sessions, colorfix, honey lightening, and it did not remove the indigo'd color at all. Once it's in, it will not go anywhere.

It's not bad for the hair like some PPD dyes, though, less likely to cause allergies, the process is very conditioning for the hair- it leaves the hair shiny and stronger than before.

RavennaNight
March 2nd, 2015, 04:16 AM
Hi :waving: I've been doing a 2 step process for hennindigo since August 2008, with great success. I will reiterate and emphasize that it is permanent. You can't color-oops or bleach or professionally process out hennindigo if you change your mind. It will turn green. It is forever, until it grows out or it is cut. I'm basically married to it, it's a happy marriage. Indigo can be the devil though. It smells icky, and from what I'm reading with the results of others, it doesn't stick to everyone's hair, no matter if they use henna first or add salt to the indigo. Think long and hard is my only word of caution. If you will ever want another color of hair, you will have to cut. :flower: If you are ready for the permanent solution, there's a link in my siggy for my own recipe.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 04:31 AM
Yes, the green monster (when you try and bleach it out). If you're unsure, and you're likely to change your mind down the line: don't do indigo.