PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts please ladies...

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 1st, 2015, 09:04 PM
I measured my hair for the first time ever last night: 31 inches, and I am at waist length. I'm a little over 5 feet tall. I am aiming to be at tailbone/BCL(?), and if my measurements are correct, that's only about 3 more inches on me. HOORAY!!! That should take me roughly 6 months of growth if I continue to grow at 1/2" per month.

My problem is is that I have healthy, but thin ends. The last 3 inches or so of my hair are thin. I was trying to trim small amounts every month to help thicken them up, but of course I was't gaining much length that way. And due to my most recent hair disaster, I actually ended up shorter than my starting length from back at the end of November.

Anyway, I am thinking that I will just do my best to keep my ends very healthy and deal with the thin ends until it grows to an inch or so beyond the length that I want then start gradually trimming it back (monthly?) to thicken up the ends. What do you guys think? Is it typically better to grow out the length then worry about thickening up the ends, or vice versa?

AlexDig
March 1st, 2015, 09:20 PM
Congrats on being so close! That's so fun!

This may be because I have very fine, thin hair but when I've tried to grow out my hair without trimming it regularly, it always ended up growing in scraggly and would start breaking off. Painful as it is, I get better results with tiny regular trims as I grow.

We have different hair types so this may not apply! By those are my two cents :-)

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 1st, 2015, 09:29 PM
Congrats on being so close! That's so fun!

This may be because I have very fine, thin hair but when I've tried to grow out my hair without trimming it regularly, it always ended up growing in scraggly and would start breaking off. Painful as it is, I get better results with tiny regular trims as I grow.

We have different hair types so this may not apply! By those are my two cents :-)

My hair is actually fine, but I it's a pretty average thickness I think. My problem is the ends as well. Fortunately, mine don't break off, they just get super-scraggly and gross looking no matter what I do. I think that's what compels me to trim so often: I would rather have long, full hair than really long hair with scraggly/thin ends. However...... I always feel differently after I trim. Unless the trim is super-minimal and barely noticeable, I want my length back IMMEDIATELY!!!

AlexDig
March 1st, 2015, 09:37 PM
I can totally relate! I've tajen off too much at times as well and it's super frustrating. But the pretty ends are a must for me...I've done the long-at-any-cost thing before and it hasn't been worth it.

Avis
March 1st, 2015, 10:30 PM
Well if your avatar is current, I don't think you need a trim at all. If it were me, I'd wait. But my hair is very wavy/wurly, so if my ends are uneven (which they are), you can't tell.

If they really bother you, you should trim. You should always feel good about your hair.

Sharysa
March 1st, 2015, 10:47 PM
Do you have a picture of your ends? I love thin/wispy ends in moderation--we call them fairy-tale ends here.

Also, 27 inches at slightly over five feet tall? You must have a short waist, because my waist is around 30 inches.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 1st, 2015, 11:50 PM
Well if your avatar is current, I don't think you need a trim at all. If it were me, I'd wait. But my hair is very wavy/wurly, so if my ends are uneven (which they are), you can't tell.

If they really bother you, you should trim. You should always feel good about your hair.

My avatar is current. I just trimmed at the end of January, so I don't need one now. But to reach my goal length, I need about another 6 months without trims. I am wondering if I should micro trim during that period or just let it grow a bit past my goal length before trimming then start maintaing the ends on a regular basis at my goal length.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 1st, 2015, 11:53 PM
Do you have a picture of your ends? I love thin/wispy ends in moderation--we call them fairy-tale ends here.

Also, 27 inches at slightly over five feet tall? You must have a short waist, because my waist is around 30 inches.

Yes, and that's a bit past the narrowest part of my waist. Unless I'm measuring incorrectly, which is entirely possible. Either way, I think I still have about 3 more inches to get to where I want to be.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 2nd, 2015, 01:02 PM
Yup... I measured incorrectly. I didn't realize that I had to start at my front hairline and measure back over my head. I am at roughly 31 inches. I'm going to re-measure for accuracy tonight after I shampoo.

Nique1202
March 2nd, 2015, 01:12 PM

My waist is at about 27.5 and I'm 5'2", but I do have an extremely short torso (BSL to hip is only 3 inches, my ribs touch my hip bones almost instantly if I bend to the side).

I'm more questioning the tailbone being 3 inches away from waist. Tailbone is further down than the *ahem* butt cleavage line, usually by 2-3 inches or more. Butt cleavage length is still long and gorgeous and a great goal, but it's not tailbone.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 01:40 PM
I see nothing "thin" about the hair in your avatar. I'd just keep growing (I know I know, I say that a lot but still I mean it!) and see where it takes you.

chen bao jun
March 2nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
I'm 5 ft 3 and 28 inches to waist, and actually comparatively long waisted. I've got such short legs I even have to hem petite pants.

SunlightShines
March 2nd, 2015, 04:29 PM
If the ends aren't damaged then it wouldn't hurt to just let it grow. It's different for everyone, but the way I decide to trim is by the way my hair feels. If the ends of my hair feel dry or tangle easily and a good deep condition doesn't fix it, then I do a micro-trim. Otherwise, I just started putting it up so it wouldn't be rubbing on my sweater, chairs, etc. I'm hoping to prevent it from thinning by removing sources of friction that could wear it down.

kidari
March 2nd, 2015, 04:33 PM
I agree your ends look really thick and healthy to me. Try not to be a compulsive trimmer. You sound like me, I obsess over the "health" of my ends and overdo it with trimming. Maybe you can stretch the trimming the same way people stretch washes. Growing long hair is hard, because it's more like we're training ourselves and our hair has not much to do with it at all in the end.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 2nd, 2015, 04:52 PM
My waist is at about 27.5 and I'm 5'2", but I do have an extremely short torso (BSL to hip is only 3 inches, my ribs touch my hip bones almost instantly if I bend to the side).

I'm more questioning the tailbone being 3 inches away from waist. Tailbone is further down than the *ahem* butt cleavage line, usually by 2-3 inches or more. Butt cleavage length is still long and gorgeous and a great goal, but it's not tailbone.

I made a mistake in my measurements. I am actually at about 31 inches, which is past my waist at 5'1". As for the BCL/TBL, I actually posted a question regarding that a few days ago b/c mine seems to be in roughly the same spot. The feedback I received was that it is a possibility and varies by body type. Either way, I think I have about 3 more inches to go to get to where I want to be. :)

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 2nd, 2015, 04:56 PM
I see nothing "thin" about the hair in your avatar. I'd just keep growing (I know I know, I say that a lot but still I mean it!) and see where it takes you.

That picture was taken about a month ago after a good trim. BUT! There's a reason why my hair looks so full at the ends in this picture. It's my $50 miracle mousse from Kérastaste that I discovered after that trim at the salon. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures so I can show you guys before & afters. The stuff makes a BIG difference.