PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide what avatar to use?

Beckstar
March 1st, 2015, 06:39 PM
I usually change mine when I reach certain goals and stop and keep the one I'm most happy with.
I'm very happy with the number of bumps in my braid now. I think this'll be the one I keep until I get 4 or so more bumps!!

My bump, my bumps, my lovely braided bumps!

Lady Mary
March 1st, 2015, 06:48 PM
It's a piece of art that I like because I find my actual hair unacceptable for a pretty avatar at the moment. One day!

Arctic
March 1st, 2015, 06:51 PM
I like it when people keep the same avatar, helps me to remember them if there is visual reminder in addition to the name. Especially helpful when I have been away for a long time.

I chose mine to reflect my user name. I might choose a different one now, the old one has been on use since 2007, he he.

Your braid is looking nice and long! Fun way to keep tabs on growth by counting the bumps!

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 07:09 PM
This one was specifically put in place because I know people on here don't like me and want me to go back on hiatus.

Before that is was zombie plates with AspenSong and she did the same only mine was upside down.

Normally it is my current favorite of AspenSong's amazing photographer skills that she generiously showers upon my undeserving self (as i forgot her clip, her hubs candy, and her phone stuff.)

Beckstar
March 1st, 2015, 07:21 PM
I should change mine often to escape capture from when I play jokes and pranks! :) No one will recognize me to be able to catch me. ;)

Arctic
March 1st, 2015, 07:26 PM
^ LOL, great idea!

Bindi
March 1st, 2015, 07:45 PM
The one that (I think) I am using is my favorite hair to date : mohawk :)

patienceneeded
March 1st, 2015, 09:47 PM
I don't know. I chose mine because it was a long haired fairy creature and I liked it. I've had the same avatar since joining in 2010 and have no plans to change it.

I do change my sig pic every few months.

TaterTot
March 1st, 2015, 10:13 PM
Mine is my favorite wig I never get to wear!
:skittles:
I'm still waiting for signature access -fingers crossed a mod will see this-

Nadine <3
March 1st, 2015, 10:17 PM
Mine is a picture of my cat, Arwen and I. I love my cat and I love the picture so that is why it's there. No other reason, I just picked a picture I liked!

Anje
March 1st, 2015, 10:21 PM
It made me laugh and amused me to use it. ;)

RainbowBowser
March 1st, 2015, 10:24 PM
I liked my length shot I guess...

Begemot
March 2nd, 2015, 03:12 AM
I couldn't find any picture I would like online so I fixed up recent (that time recent) picture of my own hair. I thought it looked decent so it'll do for now. Pics of art or cats (cat art!) would please me too.

Knifegill
March 2nd, 2015, 03:17 AM
I change it at work almost daily. I just pick something recognizable, often 80's TV or movie iconic characters, but anything that might elicit a smirk without getting me in trouble will do. Beetlejuice, the blue dress, Fluttershy with a top hat, it's all fun.

CastaDiva
March 2nd, 2015, 03:32 AM
I love art, and the Mona Lisa is an enigmatic painting. The Mona Lisa smile is my idea of a big grin. I'm shy and tend to get nervous around people and smile funny, which makes me even more nervous and self conscious, so a more subtle smile (or IS Mona Lisa really smiling??) feels more comfortable, and I don't mind being enigmatic and mysterious :)

Wosie
March 2nd, 2015, 04:27 AM
I can't decide on just one avatar to use, so I've been changing it up ~five times since I got here. :p I only used one picture of my actual hair, otherwise I like colourful and/or artistic pictures.

<-- This one I chose because it's calming and it has a tealight candle in an amethyst candlelight holder. I happen to be a candlelight holder geek (collector) who loves purple. 8-D

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2015, 05:01 AM
I kept mine the same throughout the years for a way to find me easily. My signature is my latest length picture and that will get replaced as soon as I get another one.

BrendaLoan
March 2nd, 2015, 05:02 AM
I chose mine because I like the drawing, and just recently I've noticed her hair texture is similar to mine. Also, it makes me wonder how long her hair is :confused:

hannabiss
March 2nd, 2015, 05:12 AM
i guess i was juat extra happy about my growth and decided to put it as my avatar...though i kinda miss my old avatar pic and have thought about putting it bacl to that. ithink one reason i changed was the blue haired girl in my old pic had floor length hair and i dont want hair that long anymore. But it was doodle i did and liked and.will probably switch it back to that.
:hmm:

Shibe
March 2nd, 2015, 05:25 AM
My username is actually a nickname based off of another forum handle- the avatar was a no brainer!

gossamer
March 2nd, 2015, 05:29 AM
I've had the same one during my whole time at LHC. It's a pre-LHC days photo from when my hair was mid-thigh length, I think. Probably one of the few pre-LHC hair photos I had when I joined, but also one of my favorites, even now. I retook photos there later, once my hair was knee length, but decided to keep this avatar.

Agnieszka
March 2nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
I love ocean and I love to travel. My avatar reminds me that there are lots of places waiting for me to visit. My nick name is my real life name (I'm Polish)

Stiria
March 2nd, 2015, 08:04 AM
Stiria means icicle in latin, so my avatar is a picture of icicles. I too like it when people keep the same avatar as I often remember the avatar before I remember the name :p

Madora
March 2nd, 2015, 08:05 AM
My mother took this photo in 1989 and I loved how it came out. My favorite style for many years.

Entangled
March 2nd, 2015, 08:14 AM
Mine is a favorite necklace. I made it with my grandmother and a friend, so it has meaning to me. Plus, I live the way that it looks. I plan on keeping it constant.

MeAndTheMaz
March 2nd, 2015, 07:18 PM
My last avatar, had a lot of elements that "spoke to me". A boy and his kitty, Calvin and Hobbes, I love listening to tunes. I do not, however, dance. I'll probably go back to it at some point. I like it.

My current one is a scan of a tshirt I got at a Dead show. I like it, but it looks weird. I' used to seeing Calvin and Hobbes.

Robot Ninja
March 2nd, 2015, 07:27 PM
I use a picture of my hair because everybody else was doing it and I just wanted to be popular.

I tend to associate people with their avatar as well, which causes some dissonance when their avatar is something like Rapunzel and they're a brunette.

Alien Girl
March 2nd, 2015, 07:31 PM
I change mine whenever I have a new selfie :P Which is rare because I hardly take selfies.

neko_kawaii
March 2nd, 2015, 07:42 PM
I spent a while searching for the perfect thing to accompany my user name. I think I nailed it.

Saldana
March 2nd, 2015, 07:51 PM
Mine is a pretty picture I found years ago. It's been my LHC avatar since...well.....since I joined in....whatever year I joined in. 2007, maybe...?

Edit: Oops, checked my profile....2005. :)

Daylilly
March 2nd, 2015, 07:52 PM
Madora, I love your avatar style, it is so easy to recognize and is an original style and so lovely. I picked my user name on a whim, my name was taken, my middle name was taken and I looked over and saw my Daylilly's still bright and flourishing all summer even into fall. And I chose that, than I looked for paintings of Daylilly's and this one stood out it almost has the posture of a person. It is a very happy accident.

AZDesertRose
March 2nd, 2015, 08:48 PM
I just picked an avatar I thought was pretty, honestly. I change my sig pic to reflect hair changes, but the avatar has stayed the same for years and probably will stay the same for a while longer.

molljo
March 2nd, 2015, 09:21 PM
Mine is my dog Sheila, a rottweiler/lab mix. I use a pic of my cat as an avatar for another internet community, so I thought it was only fair to use her for this one when I joined. If I ever change it, I'll most likely use another pic of her, probably one with better lighting.

truepeacenik
March 2nd, 2015, 09:58 PM
My last avatar, had a lot of elements that "spoke to me". A boy and his kitty, Calvin and Hobbes, I love listening to tunes. I do not, however, dance. I'll probably go back to it at some point. I like it.

My current one is a scan of a tshirt I got at a Dead show. I like it, but it looks weird. I' used to seeing Calvin and Hobbes.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/030/0/7721546/il_570xN.626273971_df16.jpg

We can have both.

My avatar is me painting at a benefit show. Some kids were in Denver for String Cheese shows and attended an after party in Five Points. (Cervante's)
They were robbed and shot at the light rail platform.
All are happy and healthy today, but the medical bills for one were really high.
I arranged a couple things for a silent auction, such as a meet and greet with Bob Weir at Red Rocks. (All I wanted were a couple signed CDs. Bobby has a heart of gold. He just knows me as "Mark's redheaded friend" yet he said yes without hesitation.)
The painting also sold.

trolleypup
March 2nd, 2015, 11:22 PM
When I find a picture I particularly like, it gets turned into an avatar or siggie picture...both of mine are pretty old.

MeAndTheMaz
March 3rd, 2015, 10:07 AM
[IMG]
We can have both.

Me likes.

My avatar is me painting at a benefit show. Some kids were in Denver for String Cheese shows and attended an after party in Five Points. (Cervante's)
They were robbed and shot at the light rail platform.
All are happy and healthy today, but the medical bills for one were really high.
I arranged a couple things for a silent auction, such as a meet and greet with Bob Weir at Red Rocks. (All I wanted were a couple signed CDs. Bobby has a heart of gold. He just knows me as "Mark's redheaded friend" yet he said yes without hesitation.)
The painting also sold.

On a side note, I often wondered what you were painting. Do we get to see the finished product?

Olavi
March 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM
Because pretty picture of Rapunzel, duh :D

Nettyx
March 3rd, 2015, 11:44 AM
I'm kind of new and wanted a pic of my hair but it doesn't look its best at the moment so I used a pic of me if I was made of clay like Wallace & Gromit or Shaun the Sheep. Bit random I know!

Marika
March 4th, 2015, 12:28 AM
I change my avatar quite often. Usually it's some sort of a length pic but I used to have a pic of my baby pug (he's now 10 years old) and people seem to like that :) Now I have a picture from Tove Jansson's first moomin book "The Moomins and the Great Flood". I'm a big moomin fan and I thought the pic was pretty.

truepeacenik
March 4th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Me likes.

On a side note, I often wondered what you were painting. Do we get to see the finished product?

Wow. I'm not sure I got a photo of that one.it went to the auntie of the most injured person.

Crystawni
March 5th, 2015, 05:56 AM
I changed my avatar a few times at the start, but have settled on an action shot of my crystal and tawny fuzznut in some Aussie goodness. :) My custom Southern Cross Elymwold fork is a nod to my location, and showing my ever-whitening hair colour is a nod to my username. Like a few others, I swap out my siggy more often to show updated length, although the flipped-head shot part of it stays the same.

mothcub
March 5th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I take a lot of pictures with my phone of myself and stuff around in my day and I liked the way the sunlight hit my hair in this one, so it became my avatar. :-)