PDA

View Full Version : Revitalizing Hair Thickness

Shepherdess
March 1st, 2015, 12:33 PM
I recently noticed that my hair thickness has decreased in circumference within the past few years. Two years ago my hair was approximately 5 to 5.5 inches thick, today my hair is 3.5 inches thick (I measure with a ponytail). Since after I went through a few major sheds in 2014, I have noticed that my hair has felt much thinner than before, though I realize it isn't overly thin. I also lost hair length with the shed and had to trim the ends since they were so thin about 4 months ago, and my hair growth has been sluggish.

My question for everyone is, do you have any experience with thinning hair and what to do? I am guessing that for me it may possibly be related to my hormones (around the times of shedding I also had major acne outbreaks too), since I have had some issues with my thyroid in the past, though there could be other reasons too.

Have you ever went through a major shed? If so, did you do anything that helped it?

Any herbs, vitamins, or hair care/routine recommendations?

Is anyone else having trouble with hair thinning, or dissatisfied with their hair thickness?

I recently bought some clary sage essential oil that I am now using each time I massage my castor/olive oil mixture into my scalp, since I have read that it can help. I also decided to start using a ginger, candula herb mixture that brew like tea, then rinse through my scalp and let sit for a bit before showering.

Arctic
March 4th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Bump. I'd like to hear people's experiences also.

I think my hair is slightly thinner than it was several years ago, and would like to get some thickness back. My main problem is probably the sparseness of my hair, especially at the front.

ChloeDharma
March 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM
You need a medical check up. To regrow your hair and gain thickness you need to first find and address the cause of your hair loss. Once that is done it should grow back naturally but there's no harm in having some fun with scalp treatments etc in the mean time. The castor oil is a good choice as is clary sage. Rosemary ct verbenone essential oil is a very good oil to choose but of course diluted. Regular massage is good, with your oils of course but on dry hair too.
I'm a huge fan of bhringraj in an oil though not if it contains mineral oil as there are much better ones it can be extracted into for scalp aplication. Oh ylang ylang is another EO that smells heavenly and is said to improve the thickness of the hair.
I wouldn't mess about with supplements quite yet until you know what's going on medically.

There are lots of folk remedies for thickness, some with some science to back them up and others purely anecdotal though I don't mean those should be dismissed. Pick something easy to start with and above all pleasant, even if just stress relief helps your hair growth that's still worth it.
Good luck.

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Yep, I second ChoeDharma, have a check-up, and multiple ones if it's your thyroid. You can't handle this on your own and need medical intervention to get back on track. Your hair should regrow fine once your thyroid functions right.