PDA

View Full Version : Shed documentation. No I am NOT sick or bald.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM
Today I will post a picture of my gloriously clean brush. I will then refuse to clean it for the entire month, posting updates randomly and sporadically as we go.

My hair stats are right there and while people do not shed the same this will give people of my thickness and close to my length peace of mind they are not going bald. I would love for other thicknesses and lengths to join because i find shed counting unhealthy and obsessive. Stressing about something that is made worse by stress is compounding your issue. An honest documentation of shed in pictures can help others.

I seriously shed a hair donut a month. I always have I always will and you can ask AspenSong if I am slowly getting balder because if anyone knows my hair as much as I so it's the person who loves it and takes his pictures.

The naughty mess says, "I have to get rid of the hairs that are tired of fighting and want to behave. That is just unacceptable"

Edit-
lauren_alia's contribution http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=6&p=2957623&viewfull=1#post2957623

Natalina's contribution
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=8&p=2958047&viewfull=1#post2958047

AspenSong's contribution
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=9&p=2959440&viewfull=1#post2959440
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=11&p=2980456&viewfull=1#post2980456

MINAKO's contribution
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=12&p=2980552&viewfull=1#post2980552

Parisian Dozen's AMAZING hair ball
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=13&p=2980956&viewfull=1#post2980956

Charybdis's Contribution
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=14&p=2982171&viewfull=1#post2982171

The Naughty Mess:

#1- http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=6&p=2957627&viewfull=1#post2957627
#2- 5 days about three brushings
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=9&p=2959541&viewfull=1#post2959541
#3- 15 ish days http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=10&p=2969091&viewfull=1#post2969091
#4- 29 days http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129981&page=15&p=2982331&viewfull=1#post2982331

AspenSong
March 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
Everyone knows your hair is a wig. lol.

darklyndsea
March 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Do you think your brush will remain usable that long without cleaning it? Mine might stay marginally usable for up to a week, maybe. Definitely not a month.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 12:21 PM
Everyone knows your hair is a wig. lol.

you know no one but you pays attention to me anyways. This will be another thread we derail into complete weirdness and inside jokes.

Do you think your brush will remain usable that long without cleaning it? Mine might stay marginally usable for up to a week, maybe. Definitely not a month.

I don't know. I don't pay attention to when i clean it. But if it gets unusable then the clean will happen and I still have a timed and measured experiment.

AspenSong
March 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM
I can see your brush becoming unusable. I know that if I participate, that shouldn't be an issue. But could Def happen for the thick hairs.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 12:31 PM
If you were not on the verge of house buying moving packing chicken adoption I'd bribe you to participate.

Wildcat Diva
March 1st, 2015, 12:53 PM
You know that The Mess is now going to refuse to shed anything just to mess up your experiment, right?

sumidha
March 1st, 2015, 12:59 PM
Oh man, if I was not still in post-baby no sheds land I would totally join, usually it's like a small mouse worth of hair every time I brush.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 01:03 PM
You know that The Mess is now going to refuse to shed anything just to mess up your experiment, right?

He and I are on the same page about trying to put an end to the evil OHMAIGUD I SHED FOUR HAIRS I BE BALD stuff.

Oh man, if I was not still in post-baby no sheds land I would totally join, usually it's like a small mouse worth of hair every time I brush.

When ever post baby ends feel free. To join!!

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 01:09 PM
I would totally join this challenge (after all, I've always seemed to shed a kitten a day!), but taking pictures of hairballs would be a bit too obsessive for my lazy hair journey. :lol:

And yes, I really agree with darklyndsea: your brush will likely become unusable pretty fast: just a couple detangling sessions is enough for heavy shedders! :)

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM
We will see. I brush probably 3 times a week so it will get interesting. I am really only doing it because the random epidemics of shed threads that pop up every few months really cheese my biscuits so I am hoping to KILL them.

Nadine <3
March 1st, 2015, 01:14 PM
I only shed like 6 or 7 hair when I wash and I don't usually shed more than 1 hair when I comb it (if I comb it, I've just been using my fingers recently) so I'm not going to bother taking pictures. They're o fine they would be impossible to photograph anyways. I'll just stick around because I want to see this impressive hair donut ball of sheds.

kaydana
March 1st, 2015, 01:21 PM
I might join you once I've finished my crazy red wig (unless you all want to see stripy hair donuts), I shed a silly amount of hair and yet my head is still covered in the stuff.

chen bao jun
March 1st, 2015, 03:28 PM
I may post SOME of my shedding. I can't post it all, because it's all over the place, I'd spend all month chasing hair and have no time for anything else. I think this is a worthy thread. There are a few people who are having a medical or some other issue, but people come on here, start noticing their shedding for the first time and go into needless fits of fear.

One hint, post the hairball next to a coin or sone thing for comparison purposes. I posted one once without anything to judge size by and it was useless.

No chance I'm going bald (at least not yet) and yeah, it's huge furballs, means nothing at all. I have a theory that iii s shed a ton because with so much more hair on the head, there's just more to go into cat agen or whatever it is at the same time, it's hell on vacuum cleaners and drains but harmless.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 03:35 PM
I have a theory that iii s shed a ton because with so much more hair on the head, there's just more to go into cat agen or whatever it is at the same time, it's hell on vacuum cleaners and drains but harmless.

Yes, I agree! :agree:

two_wheels
March 1st, 2015, 03:43 PM
Excellent idea. I think hair-counting is obsessive too. My heart hurts for people who feel compelled to do it and I hope this thread will help. The idea of counting shed hairs, really, it makes me feel sad. Mind you I have plenty of strange habits of my own...

I really hate having old hair in my hairbrush- I rip it all out and throw it away every time, so I can't join in, but :applause

Hele
March 1st, 2015, 03:43 PM
ha, i've been thinking about starting a thread like this and calling it The Shed Thread. 'Cause we really do need one. Total coincidence, but last Sunday i started a shed box, where i've tossed the past week's worth of shower sheds and combing sheds and lemme tell ya...i got a hairball bigger than my hand, i've already horrified a couple non-LHC friends with a picture of it. The SO and i have been joking about putting a barrel in the bathroom for ages now for all my shed hair, i decided to start with a shoe box. As well as being a iii i think that once you reach classic and beyond it just looks like a ton of hair no matter how much comes out, i nervously detangled a huge hair ball once and it was like 15 hairs or something lame like that.

kendraf
March 1st, 2015, 03:56 PM
no joke, I was thinking of this exact thread idea this morning during my shower :popcorn: Glad I'm not the only one that thinks about these things lol.

I try to catch all of my shed hair in the shower and ball it up to throw away so it doesn't clog the drain over time - I'll take a picture of it next wash day.

Beckstar
March 1st, 2015, 04:04 PM
You shed donuts? Sprinkles and all? Or is that dandruff instead of white powered sugar? :)

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 05:05 PM
Oh twice a sink full after a week of no detangling, pre & post wash. Yeah, it's normal!

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 05:10 PM
You shed donuts? Sprinkles and all? Or is that dandruff instead of white powered sugar? :)

Chocolate sprinkles and everything. Mess is magic

I might join you once I've finished my crazy red wig (unless you all want to see stripy hair donuts), I shed a silly amount of hair and yet my head is still covered in the stuff.

Red stripes are fine

Natalina
March 1st, 2015, 07:01 PM
I'd like to join in, but is it okay if I post pictures of my shed hairball monster instead of on hair brush?

moontree
March 1st, 2015, 07:04 PM
Great idea for a thread! I counted for a while (but I was one of those rare cases where I actually was shedding way more than my normal rate at the time...) I found making hairballs way more helpful than counting was, it gave me a good idea of how bad it was day to day and week to week. If I left it all in my comb it would get unusable fast though... I saw a good idea once where someone gathered each week's worth of shed (or days for all of you with really long hair) in ziplock snack bags with the dates written on them in sharpie.

Beckstar
March 1st, 2015, 07:35 PM
Chocolate sprinkles and everything. Mess is magic

Red stripes are fine

Bob bless this mess and bless this shed thread! :) Bagels and smear too!

swearnsue
March 1st, 2015, 07:39 PM
I'll just lay my vacuum on it's side and take a picture of the beater brush! Full of hair.

My hair likes to shed so new gray ones can come in!

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 08:14 PM
I'd like to join in, but is it okay if I post pictures of my shed hairball monster instead of on hair brush?

Absolutely. Documentation for others is the primary goal!

Bob bless this mess and bless this shed thread! :) Bagels and smear too!
The naughty mess says, "I don't know this bob but I like him/her/it. i will work on a bagel"

AspenSong
March 1st, 2015, 08:24 PM
If you were not on the verge of house buying moving packing chicken adoption I'd bribe you to participate.

Whose to say I'm so easily bribed?! lol.

I'll do it. I cleaned my brush this morning. I'll toss a ziplock in the bathroom and I'm going to clean mine and just save the shed because it's just unconscious habit to clean my tangle teezer daily. But I'll try to remember to save the hair globs instead of tossing them. Maybe it'll save the cat from eating them. =P

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 08:27 PM
I am not burdening you with my bologna while you move to the asian house. You can burden yourself with what ever you desire to burden with.

rags
March 1st, 2015, 08:28 PM
I am one who does count sheds sometimes (although I've never started a thread about it). But I am definitely losing hair, it's shown in my ponytail circumference too and I'm still losing. Mine is medical, and I know it and the docs have confirmed it.

So not everyone who worries and talks about shedding is misinformed. Some of us ARE losing hair. (I lost well over half my hair the last big medical shed I had, and some of it never grew back).

My pony is currently at 1.5". Barely. And tapers quite rapidly down to below 1". If mine doesn't settle down I may well end up having to cut it at some point. There are some of us out here.

divinedobbie
March 1st, 2015, 08:33 PM
I am one who does count sheds sometimes (although I've never started a thread about it). But I am definitely losing hair, it's shown in my ponytail circumference too and I'm still losing. Mine is medical, and I know it and the docs have confirmed it.

So not everyone who worries and talks about shedding is misinformed. Some of us ARE losing hair. (I lost well over half my hair the last big medical shed I had, and some of it never grew back).

My pony is currently at 1.5". Barely. And tapers quite rapidly down to below 1". If mine doesn't settle down I may well end up having to cut it at some point. There are some of us out here.

Thank you for saying this. I was debating whether I should say something or not bother, but I think I should. While I understand that many hair loss/shed threads are started and they may seem repetitive to some members, these people usually have valid reasons and are seeking advice and reassurance. I know one member on here who started a hair loss thread where many people advised going to the doctor, and because of that she found out she had a real medical condition. I myself have also started a thread because I saw my ponytail go down from 2.75" to barely 2.25" over the course of a year and monthly measurements. I finally went to the doctor and also found out that my shedding was due to a medical condition. Sometimes it is real.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 08:35 PM
^ I'm terribly sorry about this, rags! :grouphug:
Did you raise this issue to your doctor? I absolutely would. Maybe he'd adjust the medication or find some better alternatives, you never know...
Also, minoxidil applied topically has been shown to increase hair growth for people suffering from thinning hair, if used regularly. Might be worth looking into. :flower:

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 08:53 PM
Yes sometimes it is medical but there are a lot that are not. On top of that being able to see a normal shed instead of counting a number will help others too. I hope to stop the fear mongering with visual aids.

Edit: and while counting may help some people it doesnt help everyone. as many have already commented in the thread. When people have been tested and are fine but still obsessing over shed hair a picture will help

Obsidian
March 1st, 2015, 09:15 PM
Thank you for starting this and thank you to all who are taking the time to document their shedding. I've had short hair for many years and barely noticed my shed hair but now that its growing, I notice my hair everywhere. I have very fine hair but a lot of it, I know my shedding is normal but its still a bit unnerving to see.

chen bao jun
March 1st, 2015, 10:23 PM
Yes, there are some people who really are having sheds for medical reasons or genetics. My heart goes out to you guys (and of course some day this may be me, I'm aware of that). However, this thread is a good idea for those who are worrying for no reason. Obsessing is not a fun thing. Of course, if its true obsession, seeing all the pics in the world won't help, but if its newbie nervousness, and this thread helps some people settle down, it will be for a good cause.

In my case, its not having long hair making my sheds appear large, I just truly do shed a lot and always have. Even when I have short hair, I'm a hairball factory. I've been aware of it all my life so its one of the (few) things I never worry about.

I think the bottom line is that if you are shedding so that its a problem, your circumference is decreasing. If your circumference is staying the same, it is nothing no matter how VERY scary it looks.

Its a good thing I know this--the latest at my age is that when friends become aware of how much I shed, they start giving me advice as to what I might do to lessen menopause shedding. I keep telling certain people that I am not having menopause shedding and they continue to worry about me...Can't do anything about that, though.

patienceneeded
March 1st, 2015, 10:44 PM
Great idea! I shed copious amounts of hair every wash day, always have. The longer I go between washes, the more hair I shed. It's amusing, really. Now that my hair is relatively long the hairballs are even more impressive.

I'm not really into taking pics though. The old hair just grosses me out for some reason. No idea why. I'm well aware that it was on my head a moment before and I did NOT find it gross. I think it's really the wet and soapy shower-sheds that make me go, "yuck." Weird. (me)

Plus, I'm pretty sure DH would think I has gone loony if I started saving it and taking pics.

Natalina
March 1st, 2015, 10:46 PM
Absolutely. Documentation for others is the primary goal!

Great! I will post a picture of my hairball monsters when I detangle my hair tomorrow. :D

In my case, its not having long hair making my sheds appear large, I just truly do shed a lot and always have. Even when I have short hair, I'm a hairball factory. I've been aware of it all my life so its one of the (few) things I never worry about.

I think the bottom line is that if you are shedding so that its a problem, your circumference is decreasing. If your circumference is staying the same, it is nothing no matter how VERY scary it looks.

This! I too shed hairballs every day. I've noticed that regardless of whether I take good care of my hair or not, short or long it will shed heavily. Even when I simply ran my fingers through my untangled hair could result in a hairball! Yet I'm still overwhelmed by hair. Sure my ends are thin, but it's happens when I haven't trimmed at all for almost 2 straight years.

I guess it's just even more noticeable when you've longer hair, since each strands are longer, making the hairball look bigger.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM
Muffin doesn't question hair stuff anymore. Pictures may be tomorrow my computer has finally angered me to the point of buying a new operating system so I can upload a clean sysytem image of happy empty computer ness and be done.

TwilightShadow
March 2nd, 2015, 04:17 AM
This is a great idea. I might join.

monsoonstorm
March 2nd, 2015, 05:04 AM

I hear you rags, my hair isn't quite as thin as yours, but it's getting there. I'm just over 2" with a fairly rapid taper. I haven't been on here much of late because at times it makes me quite sad. I've been trying to work myself up to a destash of toys that are just no longer going to happen. I won't have incredibly long hair like some of the ladies on here, once my hair starts to pass BSL it starts to look horrible, straggly, and just thin. Recently it feels like even BSL is a push and I'm thinking I should go a bit shorter.

Mine is also medical and there's nothing I can do. It's caused by the meds, I know that, and I'm not willing to risk a change in meds.

Having said that, I do think this thread is a good idea, I see so many people on the verge of panic because they think that their shed is "enormous", even though in my eyes their concerns are completely unwarranted. It will probably help allay some of the fears people have.

*edited to add* In my case, most of my hair seems to end up on the floor on in the bath, I'd have to include the contents of my vacumn too!

two_wheels
March 2nd, 2015, 06:26 AM
I think the thing is that when people freak out over a normal shed, it belittles the real issues that some people have. I'm pretty sure I'll have very little hair in 20 years' time- nothing I can do about it, it's genetic- and if I were in that situation right now, I'd have little patience for people getting stressed over a normal shed. Even though their suffering is genuine.

Upside Down
March 2nd, 2015, 09:12 AM
All I can add is that sheds are depressing. No need to count hairs, when I can see bald spots around temples. More so if I did count hairs, I'd have gone nuts.
And I know mine had to happen and will pass. I can only imagine how it feels when it won't pass.

I hope this thread helps people to not obsess over normal hairloss.

Anje
March 2nd, 2015, 10:02 AM
It's probably worth considering how much hair a person (length and ponytail size) with all these sheds. Seeshami, your hair is way thicker and somewhat longer than mine.... if I shed the same amount, I might be thinning. But I typically shed mice, not tribbles. Still looks like a scary amount of hair, but my circumference is apparently going up, not down. :D

Seeshami
March 2nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
Thats why I asked for help and others to join.

Hootenanny
March 2nd, 2015, 11:53 AM
Great idea for a thread! I shed something that looks like a gerbil every time I wash my hair (1-2 times a week). Being a curly and never brushing my hair means that all the shed hairs come out at once, in the shower. It's a disturbingly large hairball, but perfectly normal.

Laurenji
March 2nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
I think I'll join this! I really only brush my hair once or twice a week, and it always looks like I'm shedding a TON! A month's worth of hair would be so much! So it'd probably be good for people to see.

Seeshami
March 2nd, 2015, 12:25 PM
Thank you both!!!

Part of me feels like no one wants this thread to continue and i appreciate the support

hennalonghair
March 2nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
Everyone knows your hair is a wig. lol.:rollin:

Do you think your brush will remain usable that long without cleaning it? Mine might stay marginally usable for up to a week, maybe. Definitely not a month.:agree:

Excellent idea. I think hair-counting is obsessive too. My heart hurts for people who feel compelled to do it and I hope this thread will help. The idea of counting shed hairs, really, it makes me feel sad. Mind you I have plenty of strange habits of my own...

I really hate having old hair in my hairbrush- I rip it all out and throw it away every time, so I can't join in, but :applausei agree that counting hairs and being overly cautious of losing hair isn't healthy. Healthy hair sheds.

We should all be more concerned if we don't shed.

kaydana
March 2nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
I don't think anyone's saying anyone shouldn't worry about abnormally large amounts of shedding, just that a lot of people don't know what the difference is between normal and abnormally large. When your hair doubles in length, those hairballs double in size too, and some people find that scary. The point is to reassure those people.

If you are shedding too much, ponytail circumference is a far more accurate indicator of that than trying to count hairs.

ETA: I think I'm going to have to be a hair-ball-per-week kinda person. Given the amount already on the brush, I think I'll end up just petting my hair with a giant hair ball if I try to leave it on there a full month.

lauren_alia
March 2nd, 2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you both!!!

Part of me feels like no one wants this thread to continue and i appreciate the support

Ooh, please do continue! I'm curious to see all these hairballs! ^_^ If I remember when I wash my hair later, I will save my sheds and take a pic. I'm sure it will help to see that other people are shedding big wads of hair too, because it CAN be really unnerving sometimes to see all that hair in your comb or tangled around your fingers even if you *know* it's normal.
I don't think anyone was trying to minimize how awful an actual medical related shed or something like that is... but there are a lot of people who seem to freak out about normal shedding, and hopefully seeing what is normal from others on here will help allay some fears.

hennalonghair
March 2nd, 2015, 12:54 PM
Oh no kidding. Between cleaning my drains and my vacuum cleaner I could easily make a small animal per week :lol:

rags
March 2nd, 2015, 02:08 PM
Oh, I'm really sorry if I made it seem like I didn't want the thread to continue. :flowers: it is probably a good resource for the nervous people who just start noticing shedding.n I apologize for de-railing, I think its a good idea! Maybe it will become a "resource" thread for those who are worried.

And I also agree that measuring your ponytail will gives you the most accurate results. I've been through three MAJOR sheds (all medical) now, and you can always tell it in the ponytail.

What's amazing? I'm a F/I - and I shed quite a bit normally. If I were one to worry about THAT I'd have convinced myself I was going bald long ago. :lol: if I wasn't in this shed/hair loss problem I'd document it for you. While I'm sure it's nowhere near some of yours - for the amount of hair I have its kind if impressive. :lol:

Lindenare
March 2nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
I would join, but I feel it would be fairly useless. I shed very little even though I'm a iii. It will be fun to see what is normal for others, though!

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 02:36 PM
I think the thing is that when people freak out over a normal shed, it belittles the real issues that some people have. I'm pretty sure I'll have very little hair in 20 years' time- nothing I can do about it, it's genetic- and if I were in that situation right now, I'd have little patience for people getting stressed over a normal shed. Even though their suffering is genuine.

Yeah, I get the feeling, but still. If you don't know what's normal, it's hard to gauge. But then again, you've been living with the same mop of hair for like "forever", so you should pretty much know by now what's normal and what isn't. ;)

Agnes Hannah
March 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Seeshami for this thread, it will be interesting to see how much other people shed, not to obsess but out of interest.:cheer:

kaydana
March 2nd, 2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I get the feeling, but still. If you don't know what's normal, it's hard to gauge. But then again, you've been living with the same mop of hair for like "forever", so you should pretty much know by now what's normal and what isn't. ;)

But when people are growing their hair out for the first time, that ball of shed hair grows with it. It will more than double in size between shoulder length and waist, even with the same number of hairs, so it's easy to see how someone would be freaked out by how much hair they appear to be shedding.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
But when people are growing their hair out for the first time, that ball of shed hair grows with it. It will more than double in size between shoulder length and waist, even with the same number of hairs, so it's easy to see how someone would be freaked out by how much hair they appear to be shedding.

Makes sense! :)

lauren_alia
March 2nd, 2015, 11:27 PM
So I'll go ahead and post a picture. :) Here's my hair wad after washing and detangling today.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/lauren_alia/1425359677839.jpg (http://s359.photobucket.com/user/lauren_alia/media/1425359677839.jpg.html)
For reference my hair is currently BSL and I am on the thinner side of ii (I want to say 2.75" ponytail, iirc :hmm:). This is typical for me for a wash day. I wash every 2-3 days. This time it was 3 days since my last wash.

Seeshami
March 2nd, 2015, 11:30 PM
This took forever and a day-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/11d1a9f2-d727-4c49-ac19-09182af91913_zpsnfubvgn2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/11d1a9f2-d727-4c49-ac19-09182af91913_zpsnfubvgn2.jpg.html)
As clean as it will get with out replacing it

My current hair and a Quinshaiy Armand Prince BabyOvalFace the meow cow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/af15966a-b700-4305-8c3f-bc8052681248_zpsuqp6vxft.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/af15966a-b700-4305-8c3f-bc8052681248_zpsuqp6vxft.jpg.html)

TwilightShadow
March 3rd, 2015, 12:12 AM
Wow, Seeshami, your hair is so long and pretty! :thud: The cat is such a cutie!

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 12:55 AM
Quin is the best. I call him Sunday and Sunshine because he is my Sunshine my only Sunshine he makes me happy when Squeek is mean.....

DreamSheep
March 3rd, 2015, 02:32 AM
I clean my tangle teezer daily - so all the sheds go on the floor. I will happily post the tumbleweeds I dig up, I do also wonder how I'm not bald each time I rake the lot up. :p

Upside Down
March 3rd, 2015, 02:37 AM
Seeshami with hair as long as yours I have a feeling by the end of week two you will not be able to use your comb because of all the hair accumulated there ;)

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 05:04 AM
My hair is washed weekly. Never detangled throughout the week. And then it is combed pre-wash, lots comes out, about a sink full of hair (lightly coated). Then it is combed again post-wash and again another sink full (slightly more) comes out. I don't think that's a lot for not having detangled throughout the week. And my hair is TBL+, so that's probably why it's that much as well.

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 10:09 AM
I am pretty sure my body shop paddle brush laughs in the face of one week of shed but, three might be to much. It's a decent sized brush

schnibbles
March 3rd, 2015, 11:12 AM
I think this is a great idea for a thread. A "reality check" for shedding.
Are we documenting weekly amounts, or monthly amounts?
I don't count my shed hairs, I have no idea how many I lose.
I don't brush my hair, only wide tooth comb, but I'll collect my hairballs and put them in a baggie or something. Also, the drain kittens from washing.

Roshini
March 3rd, 2015, 01:11 PM
I was shedding crazy until past month due to post partum. I am storing it in a box and scared to even look at it...makes me feel so upset. I have to hide it away, coz I am sure others won't like to look at it.

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 02:14 PM
Schnibbles you can document how ever you'd like

AspenSong
March 3rd, 2015, 02:35 PM
It was hard to resist the urge to clean my Tangle teezer this morning. I just realized something though....my shed clump is going to be horribly gross looking because there's totally kitty hair floating around in there since ya know, my house is 61.5% cat hair. =P

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 02:41 PM
Keiky sleeps in my hair I am sure that mine has tons of kitty fuz

two_wheels
March 3rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
I nearly took a picture of my pathetic haul until I realised there was jumper fluff in it. Nobody needs to see that :lol:
['jumper' is British for 'knitted sweater']

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 02:51 PM
I nearly took a picture of my pathetic haul until I realised there was jumper fluff in it. Nobody needs to see that :lol:
['jumper' is British for 'knitted sweater']

:lol: Thanks for the explanation on the jumper. In this kitty-dominated space, I assumed Jumper is a name of a kitty! :lol:

Seriously though, I looked at my shed today, balled it up, and it already looked pretty bad**s. :lol: You guys plan on collecting it for a whole month? I admire your dedication! :toast:

browneyedsusan
March 3rd, 2015, 02:52 PM
I don't count sheds either. (I share OP's opinion about it, but am really WAY too lazy to mess with it!) I used to shed a kitten every shower, but seem to have slowed down. Started using the BBB, and some are getting stripped out with it. (I think some are vaporizing into the 5th dimension?)

Natalina
March 3rd, 2015, 03:26 PM
So here's my shed for Day 1, the comb is for comparison of how big it is:

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/NataLina83/WP_20150304_003_zpsszmaowzb.png

Hmm, this is actually quite a smaller hairball than usual. I've changed shampoo so I'm not sure if that's the reason my shedding has seem to decrease a bit, or my hair is just trying to sabotage my documenting process. :confused:

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 04:02 PM

Hmm, this is actually quite a smaller hairball than usual. I've changed shampoo so I'm not sure if that's the reason my shedding has seem to decrease a bit, or my hair is just trying to sabotage my documenting process. :confused:

You know, guys, I think if you stick to hair balls, you will be surprised at how big or small the exact same amount of hair can look depending on the tightness/looseness of the ball.

If even braids and buns can look different sizes (on the same head of hair) depending on the style of the braid/bun or how tightly you compress it, then think about the variation you'll get here!

To be perfectly honest, if one wanted to be precise about it, one would have to line up that hair and count it, I'm afraid. Again, that would be way to OCD for me, personally (no offense, guys!)

Natalina
March 3rd, 2015, 05:53 PM
I completely agree, meteor!

The only reason I noticed the difference with how much I shed is when I detangled my hair today, usually a clump of hair comes out instead of 2-3 strands. that's why I mentioned the lack of hairball size.

It's too OCD for me to count per strands as well, so I don't know how well I'm contributing to this project. But I just love to find an excuse to show off my hairball monsters to be honest, it's a real life habit too. :disco:

swearnsue
March 3rd, 2015, 06:09 PM

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/NataLina83/WP_20150304_003_zpsszmaowzb.png

That is interesting because that looks like a lot of hair for one day. To me. It's good to see, thank you. Nice comb too.

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 06:10 PM
I completely agree, meteor!

The only reason I noticed the difference with how much I shed is when I detangled my hair today, usually a clump of hair comes out instead of 2-3 strands. that's why I mentioned the lack of hairball size.

Oh no, you did great! :flower: And I absolutely don't want to discourage anyone, sorry guys! :grouphug: It's just that the thought of tightness/looseness affecting the experiment came to my mind at that moment. :)

I just love to find an excuse to show off my hairball monsters to be honest, it's a real life habit too. :disco:

And hey, don't forget that you can make hair rats or hair donuts with those hairballs later! ;) Hair rats is what Victorian and Edwardian ladies made from their hair collected in hair collectors (hair receivers): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_receiver

And we even had a thread on hair donuts (I believe for bun forms?) on the LHC: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110233

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 06:11 PM
Nice comb too.

:agree: I love the Body Shop comb, too! :D

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 07:49 PM
That's part of my reason for leaving it in a brush. Just the natural wrapping of detanglation

Natalina
March 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM
That is interesting because that looks like a lot of hair for one day. To me. It's good to see, thank you. Nice comb too.

No problem. :) And thanks, I love my Body Shop comb!

Oh no, you did great! :flower: And I absolutely don't want to discourage anyone, sorry guys! :grouphug: It's just that the thought of tightness/looseness affecting the experiment came to my mind at that moment. :)

And hey, don't forget that you can make hair rats or hair donuts with those hairballs later! ;) Hair rats is what Victorian and Edwardian ladies made from their hair collected in hair collectors (hair receivers): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_receiver

And we even had a thread on hair donuts (I believe for bun forms?) on the LHC: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110233

Hey, don't worry about it! I'm not discouraged, I get what you meant to say and you were right.

And thanks for showing me about the hair receivers and pointing out that thread for me. I've been urging to try out big buns lately, I'm getting tired of the same old claw-clip.

That's part of my reason for leaving it in a brush. Just the natural wrapping of detanglation

Good point. I've a hair brush, but I'm afraid by Day 2 it won't be useable anymore, with all the sheds covering up the bristles. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try!

IndyAndy
March 3rd, 2015, 09:27 PM
I wish I could join this fun experiment! but my DH steals my hairbrush/comb for his hair so I try to keep it clean. Also any hairballs are labeled "giant bugs" by my 4 yr old son and cause much screaming & jumping around until they are disposed of into a trash receptacle.

Seeing other people's normal shed is encouraging. And the various comments about ponytail size being a better tell to an actual problem then perceived shed rates was great advice that I know I will need to keep in mind as my newly hennaed hair shed stands out a lot more; definitely a matter of more noticeable shed than it is noticeably more shed ;)

schnibbles
March 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I think I'll collect for a whole month. That should make for an ... um, interesting photo.

AspenSong
March 5th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I had to clean my tangle teezer last night. It was making me nutty. lol. I saved the shed though and I'll just add it to all the other balls I get in a month to make what is bound to be a giant freakin' ball.

I feel like this is so much hair.....Monday morning to Wed night.

http://i60.tinypic.com/rt3xhl.jpg

DreamSheep
March 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I didn't know you guys scrunched sheds into a ball! I usually pull them out and let them float to the floor, and then rake them up into impressive tumbleweeds. I sound like a great room-mate :p
I'm also not sure if Im going to be able to document this so well after all, as I redo my hair several times per day, so I'm definitely shedding everywhere. I could document what I shed as I wash, but I think I'm a weirdo who doesn't shed more during washes (or at least I don't notice it).

Also, small PC pet peeve of mine - as someone who has had OCD (and makes awareness videos about it), would like to point out that saying "it would be soo OCD" or "I'm so OCD" could offend those who have (had) it, and also, it is a noun, not an adjective, it's something you have, not something you are - and using it like this trivialises how serious and debilitating it can actually be.

TwilightShadow
March 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I could document what I shed as I wash, but I think I'm a weirdo who doesn't shed more during washes (or at least I don't notice it).

I don't shed much during washes either. I usually stick the hairs shed during washing on the wall tiles next to the tub and when I'm done I collect them and throw them out. They're usually no more than 4-5 hairs, which is a lot less than what I shed during brushing.

Squiggy
March 5th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Okay, I thought that I shed a lot normally, but some of you are making me think I don't really shed that much at all! Okay, I still shed a lot, judging by the rug of shed hair right where I comb it out every night, but not as much as I once thought. Interesting.

I still think I'm going to collect my sheds for the month and post with you all anyway. It's probably good to have a range of sizes, to help with the visual definition of normal.

Seeshami
March 5th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I think I have brushed three times. I forgot to keep track.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/9ddaf6b2-dc95-48f9-8dca-53e3dc3683ca_zpscclym2sk.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/9ddaf6b2-dc95-48f9-8dca-53e3dc3683ca_zpscclym2sk.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/706bdb9b-9b92-4329-8fe6-16a670387dcb_zpsupearkqb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/706bdb9b-9b92-4329-8fe6-16a670387dcb_zpsupearkqb.jpg.html)

My head hurts so clear pictures are the last of my big worries.

MeAndTheMaz
March 5th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Can I fish the wad out of my shower drain after a few months and document that? shudder:

It isn't (necessarily) the amount you shed that should be of concern, but any radical change in that amount that should maybe be of concern.

Seems like most of my sheds wind up getting lost in E-Space (http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/E-Space). I can't seem to collect such impressive wads like those seen here. Then again, a quick look at my floor tells a different story.

Seeshami
March 5th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Please no shower goops :spitting:

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Please no shower goops :spitting:

No, I don't think I'll be able to handle that. The wads of shed hair passing along in this thread is *more* than enough.

Peggy E.
March 5th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Muffin doesn't question hair stuff anymore. Pictures may be tomorrow my computer has finally angered me to the point of buying a new operating system so I can upload a clean sysytem image of happy empty computer ness and be done.

I'm just about to this point with my laptop. I dream of being able to whirl it against the concrete driveway and smashing it to bits! But the driveway is covered with snow and I'd then have to clean up the mess, so the destruction aspect sort of loses its' appeal....

Peggy E.
March 5th, 2015, 06:49 PM
One thing you need to note is the length of the hair. You may be looking at a brush full of shed hair, but it could actually be five separate hair strands wrapped around a gazillion times because they're so long!

This is what I find when I clean out my brush. My hair is now classic and the hairs are long enough to wrap singularly all over the brush, making a few hairs look like a whole bunch in the brush.

However, my ponytail diameter has gone from 3-1/2" to a little over 2" so there's definitely lost hair at work here. But I'm fighting a bunch of autoimmune diseases and on a ton of meds - both of which I hold suspect for my hair loss. Wah....

MultiCultiCurly
March 7th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Sometimes I get really nervous about the amount I seem to shed. I don't count my shed hairs, but I roll them between my hands tightly with water to make the most compact ball I can in order to try to gauge it with some regularity. If I do a daily detangle (with fingers--and it's rare as I try to leave my hair alone as much as possible) my ball is like a small to large raisin. If I do a wash day shed ball (I wash my hair roughly every 2 weeks--the size is the same whether or not I daily detangle), its about the size of a quenepa. Mind you this is super compact, like if I threw it at a wall there'd be a definite "thud". I'm about to switch to weekly washes now that I'm back on the tightly curly method, so i'll see what those shed balls are like soon. I don't know if these amounts are "normal", and I don't have very thick hair to begin with...so sometimes I worry.

Charybdis
March 7th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I'm traveling right now, but when I get back home I will try to remember to document my shedding, because I shed like CRAZY. My hair is thick and almost TBL; the length makes the shedding seem even more massive, but the shedding gets pretty obvious whenever I'm past shoulder length. I detangle daily and wash every 3-4 days, collecting and throwing out the sheds, and *still* get shed hairs floating around all over the house. Seriously, with the tumbleweeds I sweep up every week, I don't know how DH and I aren't both bald, but we both still have lots of hair.

Anyway, just to say that removing a mouse-sized handful of hair every day isn't necessarily anything to worry about. Like the ladies above who have had health-related sheds have said, ponytail circumference is really the best way to check if your shedding has significantly increased. (I have shed a bit more lately after a miscarriage a couple of months ago, but my braid still looks about the same. Can't be bothered measuring.) I am curious to see how much shed hair I put out over the course of a month, because I suspect it's enough to stuff a small pillow.

Seeshami
March 17th, 2015, 09:36 PM
It's past due. I have been sick and thus lazy business like my fat black Squeek kitty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/fe807b9f-4965-448f-a4d3-2c69be763a9f_zpsrpu9fgpv.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/fe807b9f-4965-448f-a4d3-2c69be763a9f_zpsrpu9fgpv.jpg.html) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/201fcdfe-c832-41a1-8d3a-c124a905f6b8_zps6pejfkv3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/201fcdfe-c832-41a1-8d3a-c124a905f6b8_zps6pejfkv3.jpg.html)

Nadine <3
March 17th, 2015, 09:43 PM
WOW, Seeshami, that's amazing! That's like a years worth of sheds for me, I'd be saving for forever. I have very thin hair that doesn't shed much.

MandyBeth
March 18th, 2015, 01:10 AM
The Beast - Ahem Naughty Mess. How have you not killed that brush yet? I'd kill it in two passes.

I'd document my Minion's shed, from The Beast, but seeing as we only brush while wet and soaked in conditioner, it's kind of yucky.

I shed huge amounts for medical reasons, and have gone from a 4+" ponytail with 1/3 of my head in an undercut to 4" or so ponytail to now a 2" ponytail. However, that last shed seems to have stabilized. I have horrible taper past shoulder, thus my frequent cutting of hair. I have a slow growth rate from medication, I have the actual strands altered by other medication, and I have literally cat fine hair that doesn't tolerate damage in the least. That being said, I can document mine because my shed rate is stable. Plus, I'll admit, I'll take the thinning hair gladly, I'll take no hair even for what the cause of the last major permanent shed fixed.

Upside Down
March 18th, 2015, 03:02 AM
That's 18 days? Pffft I get that in two brushings. :p

embee
March 18th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Yes, I was going to say that doesn't look like much to me. But maybe it is packed down more than I can see in the picture.

lapushka
March 18th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Yes, I was going to say that doesn't look like much to me. But maybe it is packed down more than I can see in the picture.

^^ agree! :agree: Mind you, my hair's only combed/brushed once weekly, but during the week, sheds do come out (brushing my hand against the ponytail). But anyhow, I shed loads more than that!

Wosie
March 18th, 2015, 08:18 AM
I use different combs and brushes so I couldn't collect it all at once like that... :hmm: But I'm guessing my brush'd look the same, if I did the same thing during the same amount of time (2 weeks?). And my hair's way shorter than yours, Seeshami! :p

rags
March 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM
The Beast - Ahem Naughty Mess. How have you not killed that brush yet? I'd kill it in two passes.

I'd document my Minion's shed, from The Beast, but seeing as we only brush while wet and soaked in conditioner, it's kind of yucky.

I shed huge amounts for medical reasons, and have gone from a 4+" ponytail with 1/3 of my head in an undercut to 4" or so ponytail to now a 2" ponytail. However, that last shed seems to have stabilized. I have horrible taper past shoulder, thus my frequent cutting of hair. I have a slow growth rate from medication, I have the actual strands altered by other medication, and I have literally cat fine hair that doesn't tolerate damage in the least. That being said, I can document mine because my shed rate is stable. Plus, I'll admit, I'll take the thinning hair gladly, I'll take no hair even for what the cause of the last major permanent shed fixed.

I"m in the same boat, including major shed and thinning. But I too will take it. AI things are fun, aren't they?? :p

Seeshami, I was expecting more than that somehow.............

MandyBeth
March 18th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Oh they are delightful. Mine are mostly behaving as of right now, but they like to laugh at me. Plus, silly fine hair. Any attempt at looking like a typical 2" ponytail is negated by the fact it compacts down tiny. Then it's too tight to pin but loosen it and it all falls apart. Can't win, so no way to put it up to protect the very fragile ends, so any attempt to get length bombs. So now I just go snippy snippy, cutty cutty with it and keep it around shoulder.

rags
March 18th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Ah, I'm luckier there. Mine is about an inch short of hip. I live in small Ficcares and 60th Street forks (multi- prongs stab it into submission. None of those wussy little two prongs right now!). :p And yes, the ultra baby fine hair just compacts up into nothing (hence, small Ficcares).

My shed is slowing, I hope it will stabilize at 1.5" pony, which is where I'm at now.

AspenSong
March 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I haven't had the motivation to take pics....I guess I should. Mine is coming along. I have realized something though - I shed more than what makes it onto my Tangle Teezer, because now that I'm trying to catch all that hair and save it, I've noticed more hairs that just barely are caught on the tt and fall off and are randomly on the floor or somewhere else. They just fall out of the brush so easily...maybe since my hair is so slippery and fine. But I bet I've shed about 1/8 or a bit more, More than what I capture and save.

meteor
March 18th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Wow, that picture doesn't look like much shedding at all to me. I get that amount or more in 2-3 days. :( But then, again, I do suffer from anemia...

endlessly
March 18th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Back in High School, I was pretty obsessed with keeping track of my shed hairs, but it wasn't so much to know how much I was shedding as it was to prevent my family from finding loose hair and freaking out over it. My mother in particular complained constantly about my long hair and every other sentence out of her mouth had something to do with cutting my hair - and that still hasn't changed all these years later. She used to tell me that my hair was going to break the shower drains, ruin the vacuum, and that I was responsible for destroying the washing machine because of all my shed hair. The thing is, I shed on average, maybe 4-5 strands on the days I don't wash my hair and maybe 15-20 on the days I do. She has extremely short hair and she loses clumps of it constantly because of washing twice per day, using heat, and tons of styling products , but just because my loose strands are a few feet long, it's such a big deal.

Seeshami
March 18th, 2015, 10:01 PM

I would be glad to have any documentation besides goops for the experiment.

That's 18 days? Pffft I get that in two brushings. :p

I only brush every few days and for an entire week I was sick and on vacation so not much happened with the brushing.

[/B]

Seeshami, I was expecting more than that somehow.............

Being sick and lazy has contributed. Plus the evil escapees wrap around the back of the brush so I Pull them up over the back and then back down along the pad of the brush as tight as possible so I am probably packing it down when I am making the little mess I have going tidy and my brushing habits probably compact them. At this rate it should be full by the end of the month and I am sure it will happen because just getting over a cold will lead to a little more shed after as I ate crap and drank hot toddies like it was going out of style.

AspenSong
April 1st, 2015, 04:24 PM
Thread revival!! I'm back with my shed pics for the whole month!! How I have hair left, I do not know. However, overall - This wasn't a horrible shed month for me, I mean, I was shedding more heavily than my minimum, but not crazy bad. And I'd say I shed about 1/4 to 1/3 more than what's in these pics and that's shower hair and stray hairs that fall out while bunning, etc. We've had moderate stress with moving prep and closing on the house this month and I probably shed more this morning when I brushed, than I have in over a week. Sooo...

My hair ball, in various levels of spread out and balled up...Yeah, there's also random cat hair in there and lint. It's unavoidable. lol.
http://i58.tinypic.com/294kp68.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zc35ly.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/otoyzo.jpg

And because I'm weird, I was like...Oh my gosh, this ball of hair is like...as big as my bun! I better put it on my head and take a photo!! lol.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2rwxp3o.jpg

schnibbles
April 1st, 2015, 05:18 PM
^^^^ Bwwwhahaha! :rolling: That's a good ball 'o hair! I love how the cat fuzz is very visible. Keepin' it real ..

This is a good experiment ... I have a hair ball collected for the month also. It's not nearly *as big* as I thought it would be. I think I have a few more days to go until my month is up, so I'll take a pic of the thing then.

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 05:20 PM
It is impressive that you shed almost a bun's worth of hair!

AspenSong
April 1st, 2015, 05:31 PM
It is impressive that you shed almost a bun's worth of hair!

Impressive was not the word I was looking at using. lol. When I cleaned the tangle teezer this morning and added that amount to the other hair blobs, I kind of wanted to cry. I'm trying to tell myself it's partly since my hair is so long, right? I mean...being almost knee length means that's less hair, right? Right?!! lol. :whistle::bigeyes:shudder:

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 05:39 PM
I bet your length has LOT to do with it: with my shoulder+ length hair I would need to shed much much much more to gather so much hair. :) I should have chosen another word, but as English is not my native language I don't always find the words I am looking for. Besides, there is cat hair too, right!

DeadlyUnicorn
April 1st, 2015, 05:43 PM
Haha I think it's more hair because just one of your hairs would be equal to many many shorter hairs :) I feel like I'm going bald sometimes but my thickness hasn't changed (except at the end) so I'm ok.

Seeshami
April 1st, 2015, 06:21 PM
The hair mat that came from my brush has been photographed but I have more important things to focus on so pictures are incoming

MINAKO
April 1st, 2015, 06:48 PM
OMG, i dont know if i want to run away and never come back to this thread again or if i feel inspired collecting shed myself for a month. i dont find it gross, but the amount of hair looks scary. I usually dont shed alot and i think im able to monitor most of mine after detangling, they dont just fall out freely unless its baby hair. And uhm i totally fish them out off the showed drain every time to take a look, haha. On a normal day i shed about 20 hairs maybe, rolled up in a ball thats like a hazelnut size. I actually rember taking a pic of a days worth. brb

ETA: Well, not even a hazelnut. I should spider prank people with these, hehe.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/image.jpg1_zpse7vhfldb.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/image.jpg1_zpse7vhfldb.jpg.html)

gwenalyn
April 1st, 2015, 08:57 PM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/image.jpg1_zpse7vhfldb.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/image.jpg1_zpse7vhfldb.jpg.html)

I spider prank *myself* all the time!

On a related note, my SO vacuumed the apartment yesterday and when he was done, he showed me the giant mat of my shed hairs he collected off the vacuum. He said he's surprised I'm not bald yet! But I have this thread and LHC so I know it's perfectly normal :)

MINAKO
April 1st, 2015, 10:26 PM
I spider prank *myself* all the time!

On a related note, my SO vacuumed the apartment yesterday and when he was done, he showed me the giant mat of my shed hairs he collected off the vacuum. He said he's surprised I'm not bald yet! But I have this thread and LHC so I know it's perfectly normal :)

I usually never find alot of hair in the vacuum cleaner, sometimes its wraped around the rotationg brush in the front but inside, really not alot. I would celebrate the day when i see SO start using that thing tho.

Parisian Dozen
April 1st, 2015, 10:53 PM
Ok, I know this is gonna sound super weird, but who wants to see ~2 years of shedding in one giant ball... Because I may or may not have that... >.>

MINAKO
April 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM
Hell Yeah!!! :D

Laurenji
April 2nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Ok, I know this is gonna sound super weird, but who wants to see ~2 years of shedding in one giant ball... Because I may or may not have that... >.>

Once you say something like that, you GOTTA post pictures.

Arctic
April 2nd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Yes we do :D I immediately started to think making matching hair rats :D

Parisian Dozen
April 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM
http://imgur.com/0ZdpgEB

If someone asks politely I'll post more.

Parisian Dozen
April 2nd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Wow this thing is surprisingly hard to take pictures of. And photos don't really do it justice. This thing is pretty huge and heavy.

Anje
April 2nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
Wow, that's impressive!

With pics like that, you gotta wonder how any of us still has hair attached to our heads!

Federica
April 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
Wow, that's impressive!
It's the size of my fatty kitty :D
May I politely ask why are you keeping 2 years of shedding if not for documentation?

Parisian Dozen
April 2nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Wow, that's impressive!
It's the size of my fatty kitty :D
May I politely ask why are you keeping 2 years of shedding if not for documentation?

It started off as me being lazy and just throwing it under my sink. Then I convinced myself that I'd burn it after it got big enough (to see how putrid it'd smell). Now I read it bed time stories and cuddle it when I'm sad.

Nightshade
April 2nd, 2015, 12:54 PM

It started off as me being lazy and just throwing it under my sink. Then I convinced myself that I'd burn it after it got big enough (to see how putrid it'd smell). Now I read it bed time stories and cuddle it when I'm sad.

36 posts in and you read like you've been here three years. Welcome aboard, Parisian :lol:

MINAKO
April 2nd, 2015, 01:16 PM
Oh wow! Now the question is: does it have a name?
It actually reminds me of my friends chowchow when he was puppy.
this cutie needs some wiggle eye hairsticks, i'd like to suggest. :P Really, thats alot of hair. Imagine if you had dreads for this time, all this would be extra weight on your head, eeek!

Parisian Dozen
April 2nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
Oh wow! Now the question is: does it have a name?
It actually reminds me of my friends chowchow when he was puppy.
this cutie needs some wiggle eye hairsticks, i'd like to suggest. :P Really, thats alot of hair. Imagine if you had dreads for this time, all this would be extra weight on your head, eeek!
No, it does not have a name. I might name it after my favorite vocalist :3 Tony doesn't sound like a horrible name...

I was tempted to weigh it while I had it out. The thing probably weighed an ounce or three. It's weird holding that much hair in my hands.

Arctic
April 2nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Bigger than my miniature dachshund :D It is really interesting to see, puts into perspective how much we really shed.

Nightshade
April 2nd, 2015, 01:25 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1557294/fizzgig-o.gif

/quality post

Ambrielle
April 2nd, 2015, 01:28 PM
OMG, i dont know if i want to run away and never come back to this thread again or if i feel inspired collecting shed myself for a month. i dont find it gross, but the amount of hair looks scary. I usually dont shed alot and i think im able to monitor most of mine after detangling, they dont just fall out freely unless its baby hair. And uhm i totally fish them out off the showed drain every time to take a look, haha. On a normal day i shed about 20 hairs maybe, rolled up in a ball thats like a hazelnut size. I actually rember taking a pic of a days worth. brb

It's kind of cute, it looks like it's got two eyes staring at us. :D

Parisian Dozen
April 2nd, 2015, 01:37 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1557294/fizzgig-o.gif

/quality post

Good god, you have successfully retired that gif.

MINAKO
April 2nd, 2015, 01:41 PM
It's kind of cute, it looks like it's got two eyes staring at us. :D

I've seen that too after i took the picture. But i did not intentionally make it look like that. Maybe my hair wants to communicate with me that way. It reminds me of a susuwatari, from spirited away.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6cWS5HxPUKo/maxresdefault.jpg

Ambrielle
April 2nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
I've seen that too after i took the picture. But i did not intentionally make it look like that. Maybe my hair wants to communicate with me that way. It reminds me of a susuwatari, from spirited away.

Hahahaha yes! :) I love spirited away.

DreamSheep
April 2nd, 2015, 02:56 PM
This is exactly what I saw when I saw this!! I frequently scare myself with hair bits, they look like giant daddy-long-legs :p

http://imgur.com/0ZdpgEB

If someone asks politely I'll post more.

Not that you can win this thread but... you have won this thread. Wow!
I'm tempted to do something similar when I move out of my room - gather all of the hairballs that I find before hoovering each time. Each one looks like a tumbleweed.

Islandgrrl
April 2nd, 2015, 04:02 PM
This is a pretty interesting thread. I'm glad I stopped by!

I'm not a super heavy shedder (at least I don't think I am). It just looks like I shed kittens because my hair is, well, knee length. We've killed a few vacuum cleaners. The way my daughter sheds, though? I'm kind of surprised she isn't bald.

TwilightShadow
April 3rd, 2015, 06:23 AM
OMG, Parisian Dozen, your furry friend is awesome!

Charybdis
April 4th, 2015, 07:04 AM
I have finally overcome my laziness and gotten a photo of 1 week's worth of shedding:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/CharyB7/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150404_123321_zpsquq1t3ui.jpg

That's a U.S. quarter for scale. I think that was actually a light week for me, shed-wise; I also did not incorporate any of the hairs I'm constantly pulling out of the carpet or sweeping up from the corners, as that would include some of DH's hair and I did not want to compromise the integrity of the sample. :lol: That's with hair at hip length (TBL when stretched).

Seeshami
April 4th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Tada the hair mat from my brush and one month (actually I cleaned it on the 29th because I was sick of my brush being sad and not working well). It was solid. like dreadlock you can't detangle me solid

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/e19839ed-0128-455a-99c3-5ecb7c447a67_zpsn1qg0xny.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/e19839ed-0128-455a-99c3-5ecb7c447a67_zpsn1qg0xny.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/35fccf52-ab1f-4599-a5c7-da2fba6b2415_zpshv1farlh.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/35fccf52-ab1f-4599-a5c7-da2fba6b2415_zpshv1farlh.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/62be1bde-d068-4e06-b9fc-13d699d3fe7e_zpskaekx3sv.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/62be1bde-d068-4e06-b9fc-13d699d3fe7e_zpskaekx3sv.jpg.html)

lapushka
April 4th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Yes, that's about yeah, I'd say... half of what I shed a month, Seeshami (well taking length into account). I shed lots of hair. These days a little less, but I'm a beast. Your hair-mat is impressive, though! ;) You could make a bump-it out of it or something like that. Am I weird, but I'd keep it to experiment with (colors), if you plan on doing that.

Seeshami
April 4th, 2015, 07:45 PM
I think my next experiment on my hair is growing to knee and cutting the ombre off. I tossed the hair mat. I thought about making puffing stuffing for when I need to do hairdo that holds a head dress but decided I am not that dedicated

aspartame gram
April 4th, 2015, 09:13 PM
...Just stumbled onto this thread. Ye gods, the two years' pile of hair is impressive! I'm still a little in awe.

Parisian Dozen
April 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM
...Just stumbled onto this thread. Ye gods, the two years' pile of hair is impressive! I'm still a little in awe.

I'll take that as a compliment :3

AspenSong
April 4th, 2015, 10:17 PM
I think my next experiment on my hair is growing to knee and cutting the ombre off. I tossed the hair mat. I thought about making puffing stuffing for when I need to do hairdo that holds a head dress but decided I am not that dedicated

Cutting. Off. The. Ombre....Noooooo!

I'm not going to lie. I was putting bathroom stuff in a box today....and I couldn't make myself throw out my shed ball. WTH. lol. I felt kind of bad, tossing it out. I think I may keep it and put moose antlers and googly eyes on it and call it my Hair Moose and let it be my mascot.