PDA

View Full Version : Lint in hair

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 10:30 AM
I already know that kinkly curly hair acts like velcro and embraces all sorts of fluff. I love flannelette sheets or cotton jersey sheets for winter so eventually I started to wear a santin cap. I went for the cap instead of a silk/satin pillowcase because I tend to pull my covers over my head and it'd cost too much to have silk/satin kingsize quilt/duvet covers that easily get ruined by the creams I use and the oil on my hair. This took care of most of the problem. I still get a little lint stuck at my nape from wearing cotton hoodies and hats in the winter when it's early morning or evening. I do sew so I'm wondering if it's worth lining my hoods and hats to see if it helps.

What is your solution to dealing with and preventing lint in hair?

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 12:03 PM
Oh, I like this topic! :D

Like with everything else, prevention is better than cure. Once the lint is already in hair, the only thing that really helps me is washing hair. If you use a boar bristle brush, then it's a great cleaning tool, too.

I think it's important to use a silk/satin sleep cap and avoid materials that produce lint as much as realistically possible. If you wear warm scarf, wear a silky scarf underneath it. If you wear a warm hat, line it with silk/satin.

Also, if it gets really bad, you might need to consider limiting the use of oils and butters. Use silicones instead: they don't attract as much dirt and lint and dust.

Nadine <3
March 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM
I don't lol They don't seem to cause any issues for me so I just leave em be. If I see a big ball of lint I'll pull it out, but they don't bother me. They're like little fuzzy friends that just chill out in my hair until wash day.

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 12:38 PM

Like with everything else, prevention is better than cure. Once the lint is already in hair, the only thing that really helps me is washing hair. If you use a boar bristle brush, then it's a great cleaning tool, too.

I think it's important to use a silk/satin sleep cap and avoid materials that produce lint as much as realistically possible. If you wear warm scarf, wear a silky scarf underneath it. If you wear a warm hat, line it with silk/satin.

Also, if it gets really bad, you might need to consider limiting the use of oils and butters. Use silicones instead: they don't attract as much dirt and lint and dust.

Brushes don't do too well in thick 3c/4a hair so I don't bother with them. I pick out the lint by hand carefully since it tends to tangle at the end of the hair. I agree with the silk/satin cap and other wear. My hair and scalp is too dry to limit oils and I don't use silicones products because of my hyper-allergenic skin and they'd be impossible to wash out using a water wash only regime.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 12:44 PM
^ Hairkay, another thing I forgot to mention (and that thing is pretty obvious :oops: ) is keeping hair contained and up in compact bun. It really makes the most dramatic difference. Also, when you are staying at home, don a silk/satin sleep cap even during daytime! I think it really helps especially if you need to do some cleaning or cooking around the house. Covering hair and keeping it compact is overall the best approach to avoid lint and dust accumulation.
Leave-ins (especially based on oils) and all styling products really attract lint, I'm afraid.

gthlvrmx
March 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM

Actually, my BBB's always have lint in them! I tried cleaning it out a few times and it just won't budge!

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 01:03 PM
^ Hairkay, another thing I forgot to mention (and that thing is pretty obvious :oops: ) is keeping hair contained and up in compact bun. It really makes the most dramatic difference. Also, when you are staying at home, don a silk/satin sleep cap even during daytime! I think it really helps especially if you need to do some cleaning or cooking around the house. Covering hair and keeping it compact is overall the best approach to avoid lint and dust accumulation.
Leave-ins (especially based on oils) and all styling products really attract lint, I'm afraid.

I sometimes do put the cap on in the day time at home. I haven't tried to keep the hair compact though. The little bit at the middle of my nape is too short to stay in anything. It's only a few inches long.

Kina
March 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM
I'm having the same issue, except I sleep on silk pillowcases. I'm debating a cap.

My hair is nuts anyway, it feels like my texture is fighting itself and the lint just gives it a focal point so the strands can all pull together and knot ferociously around it.

I'll be watching this thread :)

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 01:19 PM
Actually, my BBB's always have lint in them! I tried cleaning it out a few times and it just won't budge! .

To keep it clean, you are supposed to sometimes wash it with soapy water (e.g. diluted shampoo), I believe. :flower:

DarleneH
March 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
This is part of the reason I can't do the SO route: that wonderful sebum we're trying to retain also retains every piece of lint and assorted pollution that gets near it. I end up washing to get rid of all that but then there goes the protective layer of sebum. Brushing doesn't really seem to get all of that out for me, though others say it cleans their hair just fine.

gthlvrmx
March 1st, 2015, 01:24 PM
To keep it clean, you are supposed to sometimes wash it with soapy water (e.g. diluted shampoo), I believe. :flower:
That's exactly what I did and the lint stayed in the brushes. I think I have to take the lint out by hand piece by piece.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 01:29 PM
That's exactly what I did and the lint stayed in the brushes. I think I have to take the lint out by hand piece by piece.

Yes, I think you need to give it some scrubbing... :) That's why many high-end brushes, like Mason Pearson, are sold with their own cleaning brushes (http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/mapehabrnyha.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=mapehabrnyha&country=cad&gclid=CJqVsYD_h8QCFYI9aQodaqEA4Q#).
Maybe a toothbrush can be of some use here? :)

gthlvrmx
March 1st, 2015, 02:05 PM
Yes, I think you need to give it some scrubbing... :) That's why many high-end brushes, like Mason Pearson, are sold with their own cleaning brushes (http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/mapehabrnyha.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=mapehabrnyha&country=cad&gclid=CJqVsYD_h8QCFYI9aQodaqEA4Q#).
Maybe a toothbrush can be of some use here? :)

I scrubbed it with my fingers and hands but I never thought of using a toothbrush! I might try that out next time! A cleaning brush is handy. I never knew they existed.

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 02:36 PM
When I used to use a brush I used a nail brush to scrub it clean as well as a non soap shampoo substitute.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 02:38 PM
^ Sounds great! :D I'm curious: what's a "non soap shampoo substitute"?

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 02:59 PM
^ Sounds great! :D I'm curious: what's a "non soap shampoo substitute"?

Due to my allergies and problems with dry scalp dandruff doc recommended this tar solution. It smells and looks awful. I gave up on it though because it never really improved my scalp and my hair always ended up like straw. The only good thing is that it didn't give me an eczema outbreak on my head.

http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/media/298551/polytar-stocks-when-will-it-be-on-sale-again_180x180.jpg

jacqueline101
March 1st, 2015, 03:05 PM
My hair is fine and straight it used to get lint all the time if I oiled my scalp. I gave up oiling my scalp and my lint issue went away. Plus I put a scarf in my hair. That protects it from air born debris. I never could use a bbb some how my dry scalp produced too much oil when I tried it.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 03:09 PM
^ Thank you, Hairkay! :D
Yes, I remember seeing some research suggesting that coal tar is not necessarily that effective against dandruff. (Comparative anti-dandruff efficacy between a tar and a non-tar shampoo - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10773717)
There are some other pathways: ketoconazole (Regenepure, Nizoral) is a great anti-fungal active ingredient, alternatively, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulphide, and salycilic acid can be pretty effective pathways. (Sorry for OT :flower: )

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 03:12 PM
^ Thank you, Hairkay! :D
Yes, I remember seeing some research suggesting that coal tar is not necessarily that effective against dandruff. (Comparative anti-dandruff efficacy between a tar and a non-tar shampoo - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10773717)
There are some other pathways: ketoconazole (Regenepure, Nizoral) is a great anti-fungal active ingredient, alternatively, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulphide, and salycilic acid can be pretty effective pathways. (Sorry for OT :flower: )

I can't use that other stuff because I'm allergic to it. Now I just water wash and use olive oil rinses if my scalp looks too bad.