PDA

View Full Version : Does washing your hair frequently make it oily?

Pink_Tea
March 1st, 2015, 10:41 AM
Is there any truth to the concept that if you wash your scalp less frequently it will produce less oil in time?

truepeacenik
March 1st, 2015, 10:51 AM
Yes, with the caveat of knowing that every scalp has an individual tipping point.

It's really the scalp balancing the needed protection with a societal habit of more cleansing of the scalp that is probably necessary.
Add office and close contact indoor jobs, and societal expectations of no body scents, and we have a small window to truly work with.

I can stretch to a week and a half or three weeks of alternating day water only washes if I give up many of my favorite foods, as the scents come out through the skin.

More typically, I wash up to three times a week with very dilute Shikai Everyday (brand) shampoo. It's basically a scalp only wash, but some water gets down the strands.

jenrjen
March 1st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Yup! I use to be a daily shampoo-er. I HAD to wash each morning because I was a complete greaseball. I decided to see if I could stretch washes. The first few times were rough. Luckily, I was on light-duty at work and was by myself in a deserted office. Then, my scalp got the idea that it could slow down production. Now I wash twice a week. My hair only looks like it needs a wash on wash day. I would stretch further, but my ends can't take the drought!

Washing can strip the scalp of everything, including natural oils. The scalp tries to replace these oils. If you strip it everyday, the scalp has to work overtime to replace the oils. When you slow the washing, the scalp slows down.

Now, this is VERY dependent on the person. Some people can't stretch for a variety of reasons including other scalp issues, oil glands on permanent overdrive, etc...The above is just a generalization. But if you try to stretch, give it a bit of time to work.

ETA: Whoops! I didn't post fast enough. Previous poster is much better at explaining it!

Nique1202
March 1st, 2015, 11:42 AM
Yes, to a point. I'd been washing every Monday all winter, and my hair consistently got greasy and wanted to be washed by Saturday evening no matter what. So the most I could stretch my washes and still have hair I'm comfortable wearing out in public is about 5 days.

The longest you can stretch washes is going to depend on the foods you eat, the time of year, your activity and stress levels throughout the day/week, what kind of shampoo you're using when you do wash, and a dozen or more other factors. Some people can go months without their hair touching water, and some people need to wash every day or two with a sulfate shampoo. :shrug: