PDA

View Full Version : Describe the texture of your hair: from childhood to adult age

jackie_brown
March 1st, 2015, 07:21 AM
I was thinking about how the texture of my hair changed during my lifetime :) and i was wondering if any of you noticed some changes in their hair texture.

Childhood (before puberty):
my hair was blonde :cool:, thick (in density), shiny :o and wavy (2b i think).
Adolescence:
my hair became curlier, 3a/3b in texture, the color darkened to a light ash brown and i begun to make blonde highlights in my hair :(. I think they have caused a lot of frizzy and breakage in the following years.
Adulthood:
My hair density decreased when i was around 23yo due to a drastic diet i made and love/family troubles :(; during that period, as suggested by the trycologist that was taking care about my telogen effluvium, i quit the chemical bleach and stay with my virgin hair color for the following 4/5 years.
Btw, i noticed that my locks tapered towards the very end despite the fact i was trying to let my hair grow :(.
At that time i was searching for a natural way to strenghten my hair and i discover this forum ;) and i started using henna, who helped me to coat the hair in a "protective" shaft and i didn't have the "tapered ends" problem anymore :)
The texture of my hair is strange: they are almost straight for the first 4/5cm near the roots and then begin to get curly.
Even my hairstylist said the my curls are strange, because he've never seen curly hair with little to no frizz and that born straight ;)
The curly texture and the "straight" roots force me to have a layered cut, to try to have more volume on the top of the head.
I don't have a large quantity (i recover only a part of my hair after the past effluvium and neither the genetics is by my side) so i always advice my hairstylist against doing heavy layering :/.
I don't have yet the hair of my dreams but i'm trying to follow the right way to achieve my aim :o

leilani
March 1st, 2015, 07:31 AM
It was thick, pretty much straight, sturdy and heavy then and it's the same now.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 08:21 AM
Exactly as he is now but unaware of himself and his goals towards universal implosion.

The naughty mess says, "imploding the universe for hair monster dominion is a worthwhile lifetime goal"

It's evil.

The naughty mess says, "......... and?"

Larki
March 1st, 2015, 08:53 AM
My texture hasn't changed; it was straight and silky as a kid, and straight and silky now. The color has changed pretty drastically, from white blonde to this darker, golden blonde. It's also a little thinner now than it was when I was a kid.

Nique1202
March 1st, 2015, 09:21 AM
My hair was strawberry blonde and mostly straight with a wee curly flip at the bottom as a kid. It got to a medium brown with almost no other tones in adolescence but the same hair type. Now it's medium-dark brown with a golden-red tone (it looks light brown in direct sunlight, there's so much gold in it) and it's very wavy-spirally when left to its own devices.

endlessly
March 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM
During my childhood, my hair was very thick, but smooth and silky, and somehow always managed to stay in the odd hairstyles my mother sent me off to school in. When I reached middle school, the texture was still very similar, perhaps a little coarser, but that was most likely due to me experimenting with hair dye for the first (of many) times. High school, I started growing my hair out from shoulder length with bangs to one length and by then, my hair was coming in significantly coarser. It was still silky smooth in some parts, but a lot of the new growth I had was tightly coiled strands - not sure where those came from, to be honest! Since school ended, my hair has always seemed to be a mixture of coarse and silky, fine and thick, straight and wavy. I do identify as having some natural wave to my hair, but it's never been one particular hair texture. Luckily as a result of my mixed textures, I'm able to hold styles forever. Braid waves will last until I wash them out and curls will remain bouncy until humidity or water get a hold of them, so there's always a plus to the crazy texture of my hair.

chen bao jun
March 1st, 2015, 10:25 AM
Born with curls. Still have the exact same curls. hair appeared to be different for a loooong time though because I was taught t o brush my curls so thought my Hair texture had changed to 'frizzy and unmanageable '.

This is funny now but wasn't at the time.

Savvyhorsez
March 1st, 2015, 11:36 AM
Childhood, jet black thick hair. Adult, dark brown very fine and thin hair.

Begemot
March 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
I had straight and silky hair when growing up. My hair is still straight, average thickness and I have the same color as always. The one thing different now as an adult is that my hair isn't that silky smooth texture anymore. There's lots of coarser strands and these days I would say it's pretty much 50/50.

Shock and D'aww
March 1st, 2015, 12:26 PM
It's funny to see how these things change over time! :o

I am apparently part redhead so:

- Born with chestnut red wurls like my grandma.
- Which was then replaced with much lighter finer straight-ish blonde hair.
- I think it's become a bit frizzier and thinner after puberty, but still not wavy or curly.

Nowadays it's a mixture of mostly straight flaxen, ashy and stravy golden blonde with the odd coarse wurly copper. :confused: :o

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 12:33 PM
I was born with jet black hair with just one loose curl at the side of my head and the rest of the hair straight. Eventually when I became a toddler the rest of the curls kicked in. I've been 3c/4a, thick head of hair ever since.

Nadine <3
March 1st, 2015, 12:33 PM
pretty much the same. It got darker, but I think that's just because I protect it from the sun now. I remember is highschool my friends and I where braiding each others hair, and the girl who was braiding mine kept saying I still had baby hair lol

Beckstar
March 1st, 2015, 12:38 PM
bald, blonde 3a/b fine hair, brown 3a/b fine hair, brown/grey 3a/b fine hair. Nothing has changed except for the color.

Auni
March 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM
Born blonde, almost white thick 1b, darkened while growing to dark blonde, light brown through middle school, then high school it got to medium brown and BAM 3a curls at 16, along with my first grey hair. Now at 36, Very dark brown 10% grey and a mix of 1b-3a textures.

Shepherdess
March 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM
Great thread idea!

Childhood:
My hair was very frizzy/curly white blonde, about mid back to waist length mostly throughout my earlier years.
Teen years:
My hair darkened some, more of a honey/strawberry blonde and was about tailbone length. Still just as frizzy and curly.
Late Teens to early twenties:
My hair went from a darker honey blonde to a duller dark ash blonde (almost light mousy brown), and went from classic to mid-thigh, and was extremely thick (iii), now it's barely classic and has thinned some (ii)...I think due to hormones.. Still frizzy and curly (about 3a).

gwenalyn
March 1st, 2015, 01:27 PM
My parents claim that I was born with a full head of jet black hair, it all fell out, and grew back with the color I've had ever since, a very very dark brown.

It's always been straight, fine, and soft. When I was a kid, it was also very thin, but when puberty hit, it thickened up to my current thickness (3.5" circ). I'll be very sad if I lose that extra thickness. At 3.5", it still looks thin and I get scalp cleavage from the hair/scalp color contrast and the texture.

Ava Ruu
March 1st, 2015, 04:06 PM
I was born with quite a lot of silky, straight black hair. It changed to rather curly and dark brown when I was a toddler, and then straigtened to stick straight for the rest of my childhood. The color gradually lightened to brown/light brown and my hair seems to be more wavy now. The thickness or the feel of the individual strands has not varied much.

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 04:44 PM
It was a pale straw-colored blonde 1b'ish texture when I was young, then puberty hit and I pretty much have the texture I have now. With dark blonette / ash brown hair.

Five of Five
March 1st, 2015, 04:59 PM
As a baby I had fine, straight dark brown hair, which I quickly shed.

During most of my childhood, I had platinum blonde, fine, thin and straight hair.

As a teen my hair darkened to medium blonde, became relatively thick (4' circumference) but stayed fine and very straight.

In my 20s, my hair is about the same, but now has the beginnings of waves in my newish growth, making me now a 1c rather than 1a/b.

Arctic
March 1st, 2015, 05:29 PM
Great idea of a thread!

My hair was straight (1b), thin, fine and slippery from childhood to around 30 years old. It was the type of hair you can't really do anything with. Too slippery for many hairstyles, doesn't hold curl, gets greasy if touched. I loved it a lot though! It was the most soft and shiny hair!

After my hair type change it became more coarse and also wavy, and it started to feel and look thicker overall. I grew lot of wiry hairs too. In general it became an interesting mixture of straight and wavy and even curly strands, and fine, medium, coarse and wiry textures. It was quite curly few years ago, but has become straighter again, though that might be from the way I care for it.

The change seemingly happened almost overnight, but ofcourse that's not really the case. For one I was hennaing, and attributed the thicker feeling to henna. It was after I grew henna out when I realized henna had not made my hair thicker, but it was so naturally. I also had joined LHC around the time I started finding more wiry hairs and waves. As new member I payed very close, obsessive attention to my hair and also upped the moisturization, both of these made it fel like it happened very quickly.

The change was difficult to accept, but when I finally did I am quite happy with my hair again.

Oh, and colour, that has stayed very similar all the time. It was light brown in childhood and tad darker, medium ashy brown from teenage forward. To my pleasant surprise I have noticed I have red undertones in my natural colour, and that my gray hairs are actually snow white and very beautiful! :)

Natalina
March 1st, 2015, 05:42 PM
As a baby: Super thick jet black hair, straight up and defying gravity like Goku's hair, I still have pictures of it! I then had my head shaven after 3+ months old.

As a young child (2-5 years old): Fine, thin pin-straight medium brownish hair. Probably sun-bleached because I spent a lot of time outdoors. I'm not sure about the thin-ness though, since I was bald for quite awhile maybe it was still in growing out phase at the time.

After 6+ years old: My hair starts to get darker and waves starts to form. Dark, thick hair with soft waves.

Teenage years through adulthood: Coarse, thick black hair with hints of dark brown here and there. A mixture of straight hair with wavy ends (nape area), soft small waves (middle back area), and big spiral curls (the most dominant, especially the crown area).

My hair has changed drastically throughout my life. Learning how to handle each phase is a challenge.

CitrusEscape
March 1st, 2015, 06:04 PM
As a child, I had jet black 1a hair. It was perfectly smooth and silky. Not even a gust of wind or playtime could disrupt its tamed nature.
My hair changed when I entered puberty. Now my hair is soft black (which I constantly henna+indigo 2 step to make it jet black) and it can't decide if it wants to be straight or wavy.
It's drier in the length and slightly dull in color (so I have to put oil on it to make it shine.)
Frizz is also one of its biggest enemies.