PDA

View Full Version : Injured: hair care???

Eastbound&Down
February 28th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I sliced the webbing between my index finger and thumb on my dominant hand open and now I can't even put it in a ponytail (my husband did it for me this morning but he won't be here all the time). How am I supposed to wash? I may be able to comb it but ugh...

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Sorry about what happened! :( :grouphug:

You can try braiding or try this "thumbless" bun by Torrinpaige:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Iz1MWYI8o

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Try and postpone your wash until such time that he is able to help you out?

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 03:38 PM
As for washes: try stretching washes, dry shampoo or a simple rinse for your scalp a-la partial scalp-only wash (hairline wash).

Carolyn
February 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM
You could go to a salon and have it washed and french braided. That's what I'd do if I injured my hand like you did. I think twice a week would do it.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM
You could go to a salon and have it washed and french braided. That's what I'd do if I injured my hand like you did. I think twice a week would do it.

The advice above or have a friend help or relative help wash your hair.

Larki
February 28th, 2015, 05:37 PM
You should be able to wash your hair with just one hand; I've done it before with no problems when I've injured my hand. Styling might be out of the question, but washing shouldn't be a problem.

Nadine <3
February 28th, 2015, 05:52 PM
When I broke my wrist I had a friend come over to wash and braid my hair. She put some styling stuff in my hair to give it hold so the braids stayed nice, and I just smoothed out my scalp hair in the morning with a bit of water and aloe gel. After I got the cast off, I took her to dinner as a thank you for all her help :)

betterhairday
March 1st, 2015, 02:48 AM
Ouch! I burnt my right hand several years ago and I live in a small rural village in Wales, UK. My hair is only ear length. I got MH to put my hand in a plastic bag and secure it so that water could not penetrate. I sat in the bath and turned the shower on. If you sit you can slide away from the water when you need to rub scalp, etc. It took a long time but hey, I was able to shampoo and condition hair and shower without too much problem. My next door neighbor was great and came over once a week to blow dry my hair even though I could manage it with my left hand (I have an Ultralight Ionic blow dryer, super fast drying). The upside is that we have both become involved in saving bees!

Eastbound&Down
March 1st, 2015, 03:22 PM
I got it stitched up at the hospital so it feels much better, I'll have to wrap it in plastic before I shower later and try to get it washed. Friday was supposed to be my wash day but that didn't happen haha

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM
^ I'm so happy you are already feeling better! :joy:

I'm so sorry, I just realized that your hair is SL, not TBL, so the "thumbless" bun I linked above will probably be useless. How about a peacock twist with a claw-clip? I think it's easy enough to do. :)
And I agree with Larki: washing is quite doable with just one hand, albeit annoying and uncomfortable.

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Wow, it needed stitches. How about a Latex glove and then plastic?

AZDesertRose
March 2nd, 2015, 03:57 PM
If it's financially feasible, I'd also say go to a salon and have it washed and braided. We had to do that with my mom's hair after she had her pacemaker surgery a few years ago. (She's fine now but gave us all quite a scare.) We just took her to the hairstylist and had her wash, dry, and style Mom's hair the first couple of times she needed it after the surgery. (She wasn't doing much, understandably, so she wasn't getting it very dirty.) Then, after a while, I started washing and styling it for her, but I was staying with them to keep the house reasonably clean and everybody fed until Mom felt up to keeping house again.

If that's not financially feasible, I'd say ask your husband to help. If that's not feasible, I agree with the latex glove and plastic bag option for washing.

For styling, I'd have someone (husband, friend, parent, sibling, reasonably grown child if you've got one of those) help you braid it in some fashion or another so it stays put for a bit.

Eastbound&Down
March 2nd, 2015, 09:35 PM
Wow, it needed stitches. How about a Latex glove and then plastic?

Yeah its pretty deep but it's starting to heal a little. My mom suggested the same thing actually so I did go pick some up. I'll wash it tomorrow and see how it goes!

AZ, I can't justify a salon visit but I may be able to recruit my husband into helping me if needed. I'm not allowed to braid my hair for work because it's considered faddish but my friend from work is helping me put it up in my sock bun in the mornings.

gwenalyn
March 3rd, 2015, 02:43 PM
AZ, I can't justify a salon visit but I may be able to recruit my husband into helping me if needed. I'm not allowed to braid my hair for work because it's considered faddish but my friend from work is helping me put it up in my sock bun in the mornings.

Braids? ... faddish?

Where on earth do you work?

Alun
March 3rd, 2015, 05:21 PM
Spent a week in hospital back in November, including over my birthday. :( As a result of having drips in both arms I couldn't even comb it. I swear I've lost some length as a result of this, not to mention gained more split ends. Always braid your hair before entering the ER, in case they admit you and do this kind of crazy stuff that restricts normal movement! Not the OP's problem, but sort of relevant.

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 05:25 PM
^ Oh my goodness, Alun! :grouphug: So sorry to hear about that! :(
But so happy that you are feeling better now! :D

Eastbound&Down
March 3rd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Braids? ... faddish?

Where on earth do you work?

I'm in the military.

AZDesertRose
March 3rd, 2015, 08:46 PM
Understandable, Eastbound.

Hopefully your hand will heal quickly and this will become a distant memory soon. Best wishes for swift healing! :)

gwenalyn
March 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I'm in the military.

Still doesn't make sense to me haha. I always thought braids were about the most classic hair style there is! But rules are rules :shrug:

Good luck and get well soon!