PDA

View Full Version : Scalp massage weekly?

ClassicAim
February 28th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if I massage my scalp upright and then upside down for a few minuets once a week (prior to washing) it could do anything to improve my growth rate? I have considered the inversion method but I know I just don't have the memory/ time to do it if there is another option.

Looking forward to your replies,
ClassicAim

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 02:48 PM
You can only try it for yourself. Nobody can predict what it's going to do for you. ;) By all means, join the inversion method thread and try it!

ClassicAim
February 28th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I may do :) I'll have to set aside some time each day but it may be nice to have some time to focus on my hair every day and distress one week a month

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 03:20 PM
I think it will either help you (via increased blood circulation to scalp) or won't hurt you. :)

The biggest difficulty with scalp massages is compliance, doing it regularly. I stopped just because I found it too fussy for my lazy, benign-neglect-driven haircare.

When I massaged my scalp (with infused Indian oils), I did get *mildly* faster growth, but I'm not in a rush at all, and was a bit tired of having an extra step in my haircare routine. But it's a good practice! ;)

NuclearApple
February 28th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I don't think once a week is going to do lots for your hair, I really suggest you to inform yourself more on the inversion method and check it out. :o

Madora
February 28th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Scalp massage is a great way to stimulate growth. But for it to be effective you should try to do it every day in the upside down position only (you derive more benefit from the massage if you do it "upside down". Also, to help limit any tangles, be sure to detangle before and after you massage. Good luck!

ClassicAim
March 7th, 2015, 03:37 AM
meteor - I Get what you mean about not wanting an extra step, I've been trying to do the inversion method this week and its so hard to remember/ find the energy to do because my normal hair routine is so hands off.

NuclearApple - I've done a litte bit of research and it seems like something I'd be willing to try. Just have to rustle up some motivation now...

Madora - Daily all month? :) Also, with my 4a hair detangling so much would be more bother than its worth, I only detangle once a week while im washing it and the whole proccess takes me an hour (when my hair is well detangled from the last week) and up to 4 hours when it isn't.

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2015, 03:52 AM
It won't hurt but scalp massage by itself once a week I'm not sure would be often enough to do that much for growth, unless we are talking a full Indian Head Massage which is more involved than regular scalp massage. However maybe combining it with an Ayurvedic oil blend that includes bhringraj or some castor oil, or essential oils like rosemary, peppermint etc might make a difference.

When I massaged my scalp every night and brushed my hair bent over with a BBB twice a day I did find my hair grew better and stayed thicker though the actual growth rate wasn't super fast. That said, I was also using oils on my scalp so can't say the massage/scalp stimulation alone was the reason.

ClassicAim
March 15th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Update: after watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqmZkiyL6o) I have began doing scalp massages for 10 minuets once a day :). I quite like how it feels so I'll probably keep doing it even if I don't get much growth from it. I did not use any oils though, my scalp is far too oily for that and I only wash my hair once a week on account of it taking so long (at least 1 hour)