PDA

View Full Version : Washing only the scalp/roots area?

Eichan
February 28th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Hi y'all.

I was curious...

Last time I washed, I put my hair into a ponytail a few inches below the nape of my neck and held it out of the way while I washed the top part of my hair with a shampoo bar. It worked pretty well for me, and so...

I'm wondering if there IS any benefit to washing only the "top" part of my hair. It gets wet down to chin length and that's it.

Nique1202
February 28th, 2015, 05:33 AM
The major benefit to washing the scalp area only is if you use shampoo, especially a sulfate shampoo, the length of the hair doesn't get dried out, so you need less conditioner/oil/serum on the length to keep it happy. A lot of people do it for that reason. Conditioner only routines don't benefit so much from this. However, if you use products with silicones on the length (like a lot of conditioners and serums) then washing the length can be a good thing because silicones can build up and make the length of the hair look and feel gross over time. What really matters is finding a method that works for you and your hair.

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 08:06 AM
The major benefits are of course for those with very long hair, because it makes a massive difference in the amount of hygral fatigue, wet manipulation, detangling, drying time saved.

I consider scalp-only washes to be a cleaner alternative to dry shampoos: you refresh your hairline and scalp when your hair is clean anyway. It's good for people like me, who don't use any styling products and almost no leave-ins. Dry shampoos leave a residue, they work by absorbing oils, while scalp-only washes (with diluted shampoo or even just water) actually clean that root area effectively.

I use scalp-only washes regularly to tide me over between full washes, as full washes take a looooong time, and at almost classic, my hair takes 2 full days to completely dry and settle and start getting easily manageable again.

The way I do scalp-only washes is by braiding or bunning hair, wrapping in in plastic shower cap, putting a second shower cap on top and washing the scalp with shampoo heavily diluted with water applied to scalp with an applicator bottle. I follow that up with heavily diluted vinegar rinse on that area.
The length stays dry and detangled, which is the most important benefit to me! :)

ExpectoPatronum
February 28th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I may have to try this when my hair gets longer. I don't think it's quite long enough now for me to pull it off without getting my length wet anyway. I'm definitely interested though because my scalp is the only part that gets super oily. The rest of my hair has always been quite dry.

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM
^ExpectoPatronum, if your hair is long enough to braid or bun, it's definitely doable! ;)
Partial scalp-only washes are great and really fast & easy, too, here's a good video by LauraLongLocks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc