PDA

View Full Version : Breakage when detangling in the shower with conditioner

dellad
February 27th, 2015, 05:23 PM
During my wash routine, I like to detangle while my hair is full of conditioner. I finger comb, starting from the ends and slowly working my way up. I try to be as gentle as I can, but still end up with a big wad of shed hairs. I can't tell for sure, but I suspect that a lot of these hairs are due to breakage, not scalp shed. Does this happen to anyone else? Have you found a way to minimize the breakage/shed while detangling in the shower?

I do make sure that my hair is thoroughly detangled before I step into the shower. But it seems like shampooing my scalp always tangles my length, which then means shed hairs during detangling.

meteor
February 27th, 2015, 05:27 PM
This happened to me, too! I think it's because wet hair is more fragile and can be easy to damage.

So I only detangle when my hair is damp or dry.

I know this is not for everyone, and many curlies especially need to detangle when hair is soaking wet and covered in conditioner, but that's not for me.

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I'm not a curly but I detangle with conditioner in my hair. If I didn't my hair wouldn't be able to be tangle free. My hair mats on the underside.

dellad
February 27th, 2015, 05:39 PM
I worry that if I don't detangle while my hair is full of conditioner, it will dry in tangled mats. Does this happen to you?

This happened to me, too! I think it's because wet hair is more fragile and can be easy to damage.

I know this is not for everyone, and many curlies especially need to detangle when hair is soaking wet and covered in conditioner, but that's not for me.

dellad
February 27th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Yes, I think that my hair would be the same. It has been so long since I skipped detangling in the shower that I actually don't know how bad my tangles would be if I were to do so. Do you also experience breakage and shedding while detangling wet?

I'm not a curly but I detangle with conditioner in my hair. If I didn't my hair wouldn't be able to be tangle free. My hair mats on the underside.

neko_kawaii
February 27th, 2015, 05:49 PM
I find as long as I comb before washing, I have the same amount of tangles to comb out once dry whether I combed with conditioner or not.

meteor
February 27th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I worry that if I don't detangle while my hair is full of conditioner, it will dry in tangled mats. Does this happen to you?

Well, it looks tangled and fuzzy as it's going from wet to dry, but it doesn't mean it will be matted.
Detangling post-wash is the most difficult detangling session for me (after that it's smooth sailing until next wash), but it's still better for me than trying to attempt it in the shower (because after shower, I'll want to detangle it again anyway!).

However, I have just started washing my hair in 4 braids (braiding from chin down) and I'm extremely impressed with the results: a lot less tangling (because the hair is sectioned and contained during the wash) and much faster and cleaner washes (because it's easier to reach the scalp without wet hair-mass being in the way)!
(Here are a couple videos that show it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljvHELT4f1k or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wItfGcgMdrI)

lauren_alia
February 27th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I detangle in the shower and get a wad of shed hairs too, but in my case I'm pretty sure they are actual shed hairs and not breakage. I don't inspect all my sheds, but when I do happen to look at them there's always the root ball still attached. Since you mentioned shampooing tangles your hair, I was wondering if you have seen this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129718
Scarlet_Celt posted about how she washes her hair with it braided. Maybe that could work for you?

lauren_alia
February 27th, 2015, 05:59 PM
^^posted at the same time as meteor and she already mentioned the washing while braided. :o

jenrjen
February 27th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Ok, I may have t his completely backwards, but I THINK hair expands when wet. So, if your hair makes a knot when it is at its largest, it seems the strands would shrink back when dry, causing the knot to be looser. Right? I know if you have a dry knot that you get wet, the expanded strands make the knot tighter. Seems it should do the reverse if the knot forms when wet.

All that to say... If your hair can't handle to be detangled while wet, waiting till the hair drys shouldn't form super tight knots. I can't say the tangles would be any less damaging, but I would think only your hair could tell you for sure. Might try skipping the shower detangle and just do it later.

My hair likes to be detangled in the shower. My 9 year old tho... She doesn't do that. She detangles before her shower and then after her hair drys. I have no problem getting the tangles out after it dries. It is easier than the before shower detangle. The only time I have a bad time is if she DOESN'T detangle before she wets the hair. That results in problems.

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Yes, I think that my hair would be the same. It has been so long since I skipped detangling in the shower that I actually don't know how bad my tangles would be if I were to do so. Do you also experience breakage and shedding while detangling wet?

My hair sheds about once every month it's a mini shed. It won't shed but 100 hairs rest of the time 10 or less. I haven't noticed any breakage. I haven't seen breakage anywhere on my head when I style my hair.

Arctic
February 27th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Others have some great ideas. I only have 2 and they are both very random.

1) maybe you could change your shampooing technique to be more gentle, so your move the hair as little as possible

2) try another shampoo, that doesn't cause tangling

bonus idea: Caffeine rinses have made my hair very smooth and almost slippery, maybe they - or another acidic rinse - would help your hair to become more slippery too

MagicalMystery
February 27th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Look up the wet brush. It saved my life. Seriously.

endlessly
February 27th, 2015, 06:43 PM
That used to be my exact same routine, too! I would always coat my hair in conditioner, then use a wide-toothed comb to detangle, and I was always left with a massive clump of hair when it was finished. About one year ago, I suddenly decided to switch my shampoo and conditioner, but when I went to detangle with my comb, I couldn't even get the comb through. Instead, I had to let my hair air-dry first, then gently detangle. And honestly? This worked wonders! I've reduced the amount of shed hair on wash day to less than 15 strands and less than 5 strands other days. Plus, the constant frizz and flyaway hair disappeared since I was no longer causing the breakage I used to.

When your hair is wet, it's at its most fragile and while wet hair does have a certain amount of stretch to it in order to help against breakage, if your hair is already fragile due to other circumstances, detangling in the shower (no matter how gentle you are) will cause it to snap. Once I switched to detangling my hair when it was nearly dry versus in the shower, I noticed an immediate improvement. I know it's difficult getting out of a routine that's worked for you, it definitely was difficult for me to switch, but I'm so much happier with the health of my hair now!

Give it a try and hopefully it works for you!

swearnsue
February 27th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Some ideas:

Put coconut oil on the length before you shampoo. Might make hair less likely to tangle
Rinse with cool/warm water before you condition. Cool water closes the cuticle
Use a mild vinegar rinse. Acid help close the cuticle and makes hair slippy
Wait and detangle after your shower and spray hair with detangler first when hair is damp. It doesn't have to be detangled while being conditioned. Maybe try a coney conditioner?

lapushka
February 27th, 2015, 07:45 PM

I can't have it detangled in the shower covered with conditioner either, it feels like my hair is being pulled and stretched. So it gets combed after it comes out of its turbie towel (15-20 min.), damp but not soaking and that's the ideal time to detangle IMO. This is before LOC / styling products go on.

-Fern
February 27th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I used to comb my hair when it was wet, and it was always a fight... plus my hair is EXTREMELY fragile when wet, so I got the huge clump of sheds, too. I started washing it at night and letting it air dry loose. By the time I brush it out in the morning, there are actually hardly any tangles! Your mileage may vary. I wash 2-3 times a week, I do use shampoo/conditioner with 'cones, and I distribute coconut oil in my hair throughout the week. I would suggest at least trying to let it air dry completely once without touching it, just to see if it's a viable option for you.

I used to assume that I just shed like crazy because I have super thick hair... but since I stopped combing, I've cut the shedding by at least 2/3, and when I was using the caffeine rinse, I was down to only like 5-10 shed hairs a day (it was almost Twilight-Zone-esque compared to my old amount of shedding, haha).

-Fern
February 27th, 2015, 08:26 PM
I do make sure that my hair is thoroughly detangled before I step into the shower. But it seems like shampooing my scalp always tangles my length, which then means shed hairs during detangling.

Hmm... my hair pretty much hangs straight when I shampoo, because all I do is shampoo my scalp. Are you moving your ends a lot or piling hair on top of your head when you shampoo? You might also try the CWC (Condition-Wash-Condition) method, as that not only protects the length from the effects of shampoo but also gives it some extra "slip."

vega
February 27th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Look up the wet brush. It saved my life. Seriously.

Agree with you Magical Mystery , I keep a spray bottle spritz bait of water and detangle with my Wet brush minim hair shed and my hair isn't soaking Wet

oOoAMANDAoOo
February 27th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure what your hair care routine is, but I always use a really good conditioner. After I shampoo w/a good sulfate free, I work my conditioner through my hair then pull it up with a clip and let it 'marinate.' After I complete my shower, I then take my wide tooth shower by Conair (the handle is a convenient hook shape that you can hang in your shower), and then do a comb through starting at the ends of my hair working my way up. After I'm detangled, I do a thorough rinse. My hair is pretty healthy and I've never had any problem with tangling unless I didn't use a good conditioner.

I was using Wen for several months before just recently trying the new Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Fine Hair w/the matching leave-in treatment. For me, it was really terrible and I took it all back to the store. It tangled my hair like nothing I've ever used; I had to be so careful to detangle for fear of breakage. It honestly felt like I had washed with really harsh, cheap shampoo and completely bypassed the conditioner. Gross.

MagicalMystery
February 27th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Agree with you Magical Mystery , I keep a spray bottle spritz bait of water and detangle with my Wet brush minim hair shed and my hair isn't soaking Wet

I apply conditioner in the shower, then use my wet brush to comb out the tangles and work the conditioner through my hair. If I didn't have that brush, I'd have a lot more frizz and broken hair!

MeAndTheMaz
February 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I detangle in the shower. Start by finger combing conditioner in, which does a fair amount of detangling, then finish with a comb.

For me, sometimes my hair is so dry and tangled (work) before shower that it would take days to rake through it. A bit of conditioner makes a world of difference, and usually when I'm done, and dry, there's not many tangles to deal with.

dellad
February 28th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Thank you for so many helpful suggestions. I never fail to be impressed by the abundance of experience here on LHC.

I think I will start by making the easiest change: just stop detangling in the shower and see how it goes. If that doesn't help, I will try the other things suggested here. My next wash isn't until the middle of next week. I'll let you all know how it works out.

dellad
March 9th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Okay, I've tried putting off the detangling until my hair is dry and it works GREAT!!! I lost only a quarter of the amount of hair I usually shed in the shower and the first detangling session after my hair was dry wasn't any more difficult than before.

I also tried the technique of washing with braids, but had trouble getting rid of all the coconut oil from my pre-poo soak. This technique is going to require more work for me. For now, I'm happy with just washing like I normally do, except not detangling wet.

Thank you all again for all your helpful suggestions.

meteor
March 9th, 2015, 08:56 PM
That's so awesome, dellad! :applause Congratulations! :cheer:
About that detangling when fully dry: I experienced the same! First time I tried it, I was really scared that I'd have dry horrid knots, but actually it's not worse than when hair is wet, in fact they are somehow easier to detangle, at least, seemingly, for our straight-ish-wavy-ish hair type.. I do not understand the mechanism behind this, but if anybody has any ideas on why this works, please do share! :flower:

-Fern
March 9th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Okay, I've tried putting off the detangling until my hair is dry and it works GREAT!!! I lost only a quarter of the amount of hair I usually shed in the shower and the first detangling session after my hair was dry wasn't any more difficult than before.

I also tried the technique of washing with braids, but had trouble getting rid of all the coconut oil from my pre-poo soak. This technique is going to require more work for me. For now, I'm happy with just washing like I normally do, except not detangling wet.

Thank you all again for all your helpful suggestions.

:joy: So happy this worked for you!!

MINAKO
March 10th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I stopped detangling in the shower, simpy because my hair finally has enough slip to fully detangle it without any problems when its just slightly damp. So usually i dampen it, put in my pre-poo, then put it up and wash it the next morning. Inside the shower i clean my scalp and work the cleansing conditioner through my hair only using my hands. Afterwards i squeeze the water out with a towel, let it dry for a bit and finally apply my leave in. I can comb my hair back with almost no tangles in it at this point. It really became a non-issue for me and i used to have the tangliest hair in the entire world.