PDA

View Full Version : When was your last bad haircut?

oOoAMANDAoOo
February 27th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Mine was at the end of January. I didn't lose a dramatic amount of hair, however because I had to get it fixed (which required more cutting), I lost more than I wanted.

I have been growing my hair out from a "Victoria Beckham" bob for 7 years. My hair is long and fine, and after recently giving birth, thin at the ends. I had been going to my "new" regular stylist (my last one was consistently taking wayyy to much off during trims) at an upscale salon every month for the past few months to trim it and clean it up while my thin hair fills in. She had been doing a fabulous job and I was getting a lot of compliments on my hair since she had been doing it, so I didn't hesitate at all when I went in for a good trim.

When I got home from my appointment, I noticed that the front didn't look right (I didn't ask to change the cut at all, just to trim it like I had been every time prior: Straight across the back, soft angling in the front). I returned the following day and asked my stylist to take a look at it. She said that it looked great, but that there was one little piece that needed trimmed. She does a quick snip, tweaks it a bit, then declares it "perfect." I glance in the mirror, then rush out. When I get home, I take a closer look, part and style it a little... and am horrified. My stylist did not make my hair better, she made it worse: She cut a big chunk right out of the front. I immediately rush out of the house to a nearby salon that says that I'm either going to have to loose length off my whole head to fix it or that I'm just going to have to deal with it until it grows out. I don't want to cut my freshly cut waist-length hair any shorter, so I drive home in tears, then show my husband who immediately notices that a "chunk is missing from your hair" before I even have to point it out. The fact that my husband even notices the problem says that it must be pretty obvious. He suggested I go to a different salon (salon #3), and have them clean it up the best they can without letting them take off any length until it grows in enough to fix it. I text photos to my stylist to show her the issue; she didn't respond.

The next day, I drove to a nice salon near my house where the stylist really took her time fixing my hair while trying to keep as much of the length as possible. Not only had the front been botched, but the back had been cut quite crooked. I was very happy with the outcome, and it looked very beautiful despite it being a bit shorter than I had initially hoped.

So, it wasn't a complete hair disaster, and it was able to be fixed with minimal length loss, but my question is: WHEN DO WE STOP GETTING BAD HAIRCUTS?? Does it ever stop or are we going to be forever shocked by a hairstylist having a bad day or by a scissor happy stylist that thinks that 1 inch is 3 inches? And do we ever stop crying about it? I asked my friend this same question, and she said that she still cries every time she gets a bad haircut. I've considered cutting my own hair, but I'm a real perfectionist and rather enjoy the occasional salon trip... when it goes as planned.

I am trying to post pictures of the ordeal, but I don't think I'm able to yet.

Anje
February 27th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Thankfully, my last bad salon-inflicted one was back in high school. I was on swim team at the time and I knew I needed something substantially shorter and perhaps thinner so I could get it into a latex swim cap without giving myself headaches. (That never did work. My hair isn't nearly as bulky as my big ol' head is!) Asked for some layering, starting maybe at collarbone and going down from there, probably brought in a picture of Julia Roberts or someone like that. Well, I ended up with cheek-length slabby layers and the whole thing was just a mess.

I've had some self-inflicted stuff too. Not nearly so bad, but maybe 2 years ago I actually succumbed to my husband's "you'd look so cute with bangs!" comments. First I tried some long tapering layers again, and eventually did full-on bangs. I attempted to make them side-swept, only to learn that my hair doesn't actually side-sweep. Instead, it perches on top of my glasses and decides to make some flippy half-curl things. Turns out my forehead is rather wide relative to height, so my hair would have to be growing sideways to actually pull this off. I put up with it a few months, trimmed back the bangs a few times when they started poking my eyeballs too bad, and generally tried to ignore the fact that I couldn't moisturize my dry itchy forehead without getting piecey bangs.

Needless to say, the bangs are growing out. So is the little chunk that I cut too much of when I thought maybe I'd clean up the nape of my neck a bit, which now falls out of every updo and braid and sits on my neck looking like it got lost on its way to a mullet convention.

AspenSong
February 27th, 2015, 03:43 PM
For me, I stopped getting bad haircuts when I stopped getting haircuts. Now, that's not a stylist bash - I've had plenty of good haircuts and dealings with people cutting my hair. In fact the last time I ever went to get a haircut, 5 years ago - I asked for about 6" off because I was trying to get rid of bleach damage and the woman took off about 4" and told me my hair wasn't terrible past that and seemed pretty good and she wanted me to know I didn't have to go shorter than that. But I feel for me the only thing that's stopped me disliking how my hair turned out from a cut, whether it was the person cutting my hair or the cut I chose not being right for my hair type, was just no more haircuts! haha. Self trimming is super awesome for me. Partly because my hair is so fine and thin, there's not huge room for errors and it's not like I have much hair to cut through so it's always totally even and fine.

Now, to bad haircuts. I've had a few. Most involve layers, so they weren't all the stylists fault persay, but that my hair isn't right for that cut. I had one guy cut my hair into basically two layers. It was like he gathered the top canopy of my hair, all the way around my head, and cut 5" off. So it was just this blunt layer around my head. It was horrible. I ended up just cutting it all off the same length at a different stylist not long after. Then I had several cuts where I either got kind of talked into a shag by the stylist to give my fine hair "body" or I asked for some layers and they cut them all over and waaaay too short. The really short layer cut that I got, I had about APL hair and asked for just a few longer layers around the ends....somehow, I got all over layers and at the time I had long, about cheekbone length bangs - the shortest layers in the cut at the top of my head, were about eyebrow length. Yeah.....not a fun one. :rolleyes:
One of the other worst was just stupid. I went in for a trim and the guy (I have not had luck with male stylists) parted my hair off center and cut it. I didn't pay enough attention because I was with a friend and I went home and realized, hey....if I part my hair normally, down the center, I've got like 1/2"+ longer hair on this side. *smh*

lapushka
February 27th, 2015, 03:56 PM
When I was 17 and about to graduate. I'll spare you the details (but a trainee totally butchered my hair). That was over 2 decades ago, so yeah. My hair just never did well with salons.

And there's plenty of ways to do it yourself, or have a loved one do it for you.

Nique1202
February 27th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I've only had a few bad experiences with stylists. Most of them stem from "here let's razor-layer it and blowdry it and then flatiron it and it will look completely different and be completely unmanageable with your natural hair texture once you wash it at home" attitudes. The only one that I really hated was actually a perfect cut, the stylist did exactly what I asked, and it looked great and it wasn't hard to style at all, it's just that I asked for a pixie cut and within a couple of weeks I regretted it deeply and vowed Never Again. I mean, I wouldn't expect her to have talked me out of the cut or anything, it was my own mistake, but it took 3 years to get my hair as long as it was before the chop.

copperlites
February 27th, 2015, 04:29 PM
3 weeks ago. I had long "bangs" as most on here call them about chin length and decided I wanted then shorter sgain and kind of side swept. My stylist used that raspy razor thing, the noise freaks me, but I'm happy with the result. The bad part is she then moved to the other side. I wear my hair in a side part. Before I realised what she was doing she grabbed a piece of my hair , bra strap length, and dragged the razor down it. I now have fine whisky bits starting at cheekbones, down my right hand side. She saw the shock on my face and started explaining it would look "softer" when my hair was up. Not so much, it just looks messy with the fine whispy bits all falling out of my buns.

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2015, 04:30 PM
My last bad hair cut was about the time I joined here. It was bsl but layered and crooked. I went to get it evened up and a perm. Big mistake I got fried hair from the perm and broken hair. This was in September I joined June the following year. I didn't gain anything but more broken hair big chunks by this time. I was about to shave it and buy a wig. My hair was that bad and my brother found this site and he cut my hair to collar bone. That got rid of my damage. Not all the damage but it made it more manageable. I used monistat and mane n tail shampoo and conditioner. When it was pony tail length I wore it that way then in a bun. I practiced benign neglect. My hair grew good until bsl I had layers I grew out. Then breakage I grew out and now I'm growing to waist. I've been on a three year journey of growing my hair.

arr
February 27th, 2015, 05:15 PM
I've had so many bad haircuts I cant even count. My last one was May 2013, I asked for a simple trim and got horrible choppy layers with a chunk missing in the front. I tried to live with it but 2 weeks later I had my husband even it out as best he could while preserving length. Since then I've been growing and trimming and by the end of this year the bad layers will all be gone and I will be around hip length. My husband is getting quite good at trimming, we learn something every time and I trust him more than any other stylist. I trim my bangs and he trims the length so no need to go to a salon anymore.

endlessly
February 27th, 2015, 05:37 PM
My last bad haircut was 3 years ago, but I've had my fair share of bad experiences in my lifetime. Most of the cases involve a stylist who, like you said, is a bit "scissor happy" and doesn't really know what an inch looks like, but I've also had a few stylists who decide to experiment and my hair winds up the victim.

The last one involved a stylist at Great Clips who made a monumentally huge mistake with my hair, then attempted to fix it, but only made it worse. I had two blunt layers - one at my shoulder and one at my waist - and all I wanted was a trim with some light layering on the ends. To this day, I'm still not 100% sure what she was thinking to have screwed it up so severely and when all was said it done, she was quite insistent that she didn't do anything wrong. After that stunt, I went back a few weeks later to have it fixed - which of course made it worse. Then, I finally bit the bullet and went to an expensive salon where the stylist spent a good two hours trying to fix the mess from Great Clips. In the end, I sacrificed a good 12+ inches of hair and learned a very, very valuable lesson!

Since then, I've trimmed my own hair - just did so recently to tidy up my ends and while it's far from perfect, I'm still much more pleased with my own work versus having someone else butcher it.

Arctic
February 27th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Most of my bad cuts have been done by yours truly. Somehow 3 AM always seems like a perfect time to try a new extempore hair cut, lol! I have mostly done my own hair for the past 10 + years, before that I mostly went to salons. Salon visits in my life have been really quite positive experiences, ofcourse there has been little something here and there, but never anything traumatizing.

jenrjen
February 27th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Mine was July of 2010. It was my own fault. I told the guy I didn't really care what he did. So he cut my hair to approximately 3 inches from the scalp all over my head. My hair is curly from my ears down and wavy-ish from ears to crown. There was no way to control the hair.
I joined here in November of 2010. I haven't been to a salon since that horrible cut. I know there are competent hair stylists out there. I just don't seem to be able to find those. I get the ones who seem to have gone to school at Cabbage Patch Kid Hair School.

Colochita
February 27th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Every time I trim my ends. As a kinky haired girl who never wears her hair straight, no one will ever know.

Agnieszka
February 28th, 2015, 06:53 AM
This thread just reminded me about a girl who posted here maybe two years ago. She had a very bad experience at hairdresser who cut really bad layers for her. She started with bsl and the cut was so bad that nothing could be done to fix it. I remember she made a thread about it, she had light brown hair. I wonder how is she now.

Wildcat Diva
February 28th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I don't think I've ever really had a bad haircut.

When I was in elementary school, my mom took me to a salon and had my long hair cut short and boyish and I cried. But that wasn't anyone's fault really, and their haircut itself was not "bad."

I did have an early 80's perm. That was seventh grade. Ugggggggh.

But no real bad haircuts ever.

I go to a barber to trim my ends about once a year. I'm still fine tuning that experience. Next time I will use way more coconut oil so a comb can be run through my hair (she said this is fine). Detangling over and over right before my last cut didn't work out, my hair still tangled in the barber chair and she went to fast combing it, which I immediately stopped.

I asked her to part my hair to the side when cutting, since if I wear it down that is how I will wear it.

Simple U hem, which she naturally achieves without me specifying, as she pulls side hair down and to the side by my elbows, and doesn't comb it all straight back to cut.

She's great, just hard to train her what I need in a once a year experience.

So, note to self, more coconut oil for ease of combing, and pre-warning reminder to COMB SLOW.

divinedobbie
February 28th, 2015, 09:40 AM
The last bad haircut I had was in June 2013. The hairstylist gave me awful razor layers, and she cut the front really short so I had an extremely deep V on straight fine hair. Plus one side was shorter than the other.

gwenalyn
February 28th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Two years ago--an "interesting" shaggy bob. Actually, it looked great--but it wasn't my style or what I asked for, and as it grew out, it got really weird. I wasn't too mad, though, because this was right after (as in 10 min after) I dyed my hair purple for the first time and I loved it so much I wasn't upset about the cut.

Since then, I've learned how to talk to stylists. I used to be afraid of salons and stylists (weird, I know) and would try to say as little as possible and just get through the ordeal, so of course I often got weird haircuts I didn't like. But at some point, mysteriously, I stopped being afraid of them and got assertive and since then I haven't had a bad cut. "No razors, I'm trying to grow my hair longer, just cut out the damage." I'm sure part of it is just luck, and I also have "easy hair" for stylists (straight, straight, straight), but I'm so happy now to have found a way to get the cut I like!

kidari
February 28th, 2015, 01:02 PM
My last bad one was a self-inflicted one maybe 3 months or 4 months ago. I had the last 2-3 inches of bleach damage that I just started hacking off in chunks then I had to spend days making small adjustments to salvage what I had done. I don't ever want to touch bleach ever again.

yahirwaO.o
February 28th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Last October and it was my own fault geting scissor happy. I did cut some 4 good inches and instead of doing my hem straight across, wanted to favored a soft u-shaped. Then I decided to add some short angled pieces like in your case...... It didnt turned out horrible and was looking for a change, bit it wasnt at all what I wanted LOL

The U shaped was more weird wide V shape and those short pieces in the front didnt frame my face at all and there is still this angle piece that looks butch there.... I wasnt unhapppy, kinda like it, but it was not what I wanted.

Ive been trimming montly and now its much better and finally looking like a soft U.

My real last bad experience was also when I stopped asking for haircuts too.(last one was a choppy and short layered do going on)

Miss_Green
February 28th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Very recently, sadly. I asked for a trim on my solid shoulder-length curls, and to have the back trimmed slightly more to even things up, and ended up with a god-awful undercut! Top pic is my original hair, middle is after the hack-job, and lastly is the situation now - grown out for two months and neatened up by my sister. It's going to take a long time to get back to braidable length :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1622160_10205331479039437_2792375284136949677_n.jp g?oh=6b6c9d3a3b51f21d1293ed0ca8f5ed58&oe=557C85F9&__gda__=1434325395_9d3b1e56a9359d03a613c4d2f22b2f6 a

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11044499_10205331479119439_6443044793713595939_n.j pg?oh=f605524c0f048a91a246863ae7c84c14&oe=55861FFC&__gda__=1434994073_8ee3c074abd3ee2375b1620f755a38e 2

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11035312_10205331478959435_1865524692421555031_n.j pg?oh=7cad83ed10b474ce93765a44333eccd4&oe=5586EB17&__gda__=1434043762_0dbac7bc739763dd18e7da22b6cfe1f 5

Miss_Green
February 28th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Oh my goodness, sorry about the huge photos! Is it possible to shrink them?

oOoAMANDAoOo
February 28th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Oh my goodness, sorry about the huge photos! Is it possible to shrink them?

Forgive me for saying this, but WTF??! Whoever did this to your hair should put down the scissors FOR LIFE!! Ugh... I'm so angry for you right now. :mad

Miss_Green
March 1st, 2015, 12:25 AM
Forgive me for saying this, but WTF??! Whoever did this to your hair should put down the scissors FOR LIFE!! Ugh... I'm so angry for you right now. :mad

Haha, yep. The worst thing is that, thinking back, it was so obvious what was going on during the haircut and I didn't take any action to prevent it! I think she even pretty much explained what she was planning before she started and I didn't say 'oh no, that isn't what I want at all'. ARGH! I did cry a lot when I got home :(

Radiant
March 1st, 2015, 02:24 AM
My last bad cut was around Christmas time. As I'm new to Montana I didn't know where to go for a trim. I should have just stuck with a basic trim seeing as it was my first time with this stylist, but I decided to ask for a slight U shaped hemline rather than the blunt cut I've always had. Big mistake.

I explained to her that I didn't want too deep of a U shape (with it only being slightly shorter on the sides) so I could still braid it etc. She ended up cutting it much deeper than I intended and with it looking more like --v-- with a deep v in the middle and shorter yet basically blunt cut sides. It was horrible. I still don't understand how this even happened as I showed her 2 photos of exactly what I had in mind. I then went elsewhere and had them just cut it straight across at the hemline keeping as much length as possible, but I figure I lost about 4 to 6 inches when I was only planning on a trim.

I found directions linked here once which I printed and saved (from a lady named Feye) for trimming/cutting your own hair. I'd love to take responsibility for my own hair care (and save money) by doing my own trims/cuts, but I'm so scared to take scissors to my hair (beyond just cutting out split ends). I'm hoping to work up the courage to try this method next time I'm in need of a trim. Would be so freeing to never be in this position again and be totally self sufficient where my hair is concerned.

memeow
March 1st, 2015, 03:24 AM
I found directions linked here once which I printed and saved (from a lady named Feye) for trimming/cutting your own hair. I'd love to take responsibility for my own hair care (and save money) by doing my own trims/cuts, but I'm so scared to take scissors to my hair (beyond just cutting out split ends). I'm hoping to work up the courage to try this method next time I'm in need of a trim. Would be so freeing to never be in this position again and be totally self sufficient where my hair is concerned.

I cut my own hair using Feye's method. Maybe I'm just oblivious but it has always looked perfectly fine to me. The only mistake I have ever really made cutting my own hair was when I tried to "freshen up" some of my old layers--they were growing out ragged, and I thought I could trim them individually, but that made them much more choppy than I had in mind. Oh well, live and learn. I've used both the "v" method where you pull hair over your shoulders and cut it (this was actually how I decided to cut my own hair long before I found the LHC or Feye's method) and the sliding a ponytail holder down the length method. The one thing I would recommend is that you take very small increments off to start with. Try a 1/4" and then if you have to do some evening up you won't have lost too much length.

Radiant
March 1st, 2015, 04:16 AM
memeow, thanks for letting me know you've had success using Feye's method. It'll probably be a while til I'm in need of a trim, seeing as I just had several inches off at Christmastime, but hopefully I'll get up the bravery to try it myself when I do.

That's a good point about just trying 1/4 inch initially. Worst case scenario I suppose I could mess it up, and then still go to a salon to have it trimmed and evened up as I would have anyway. It sure would be nice to be able to fully care for my hair myself and never have to go to (or pay for) a hair stylist again. (Unless I wanted something major done to my hair of course). Thanks for the encouragement.

wilderwein
March 1st, 2015, 05:02 AM
My last bad haircut was probably 8-9 months ago, wich was the last time I cut/trimmed my hair by the way. I asked for a simple trim not more than half an inch but instead I've got a more than 5 inches trim PLUS layers! She convinced me that she really needs to trim the already layered part too, but instead of trimming she gave me more layers =/ choppy layers and much shorter hair ='(
p.s. That happened 3 times in my life with different hairdressers

Cinnamonqueen12
March 1st, 2015, 08:42 AM
I've had my fair share of bad haircuts until I found a stylist I really loved, but then of course she moved out of the state, and I feel like driving two hours for a haircut wasn't practical :/. But my most memorable one was when I was really young and I had first started growing out my hair to donate it. The woman at Snip Snaps took off a good twelve inches for the ponytail, which was a bit more than I wanted, and then poceeded to give me the most jagged and uneven bob I will ever see. It was a good 2 inches shorter on my left side, choppy in the back, and all over the place on the right side. Needless to say, there was another salon trip later that day. Occasionally I will go in to get a trim for my bangs, and I leave and have to go attempt to fix them, but for the most part, my first donation haircut was my worst.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 1st, 2015, 10:23 AM
OMG... reading through these has brought back some serious memories. Like the time I asked my mom for a shag haircut. I was in 5th grade, at the height of the 'Friends' era. I wanted The Rachel. THE RACHEL. I don't know if my mom had never seen 'Friends' or had no idea who the heck Rachel was..... or even if she knew how to cut hair. But, she cut (hacked) away at my hair until I looked nothing like Rachel. Heck, I didn't even look like a girl!!! I had a really short, boy-like all over shag with lots of layers. I balled my eyes out and refused to leave the house without 2 snap clips (also the rage in 5th grade) holding it back on both sides. I don't think my mother ever cut my hair again.

Or the time in 8th grade I took a picture of a classmate into the local salon and told the stylist that I wanted my hair just like the girl in the picture. I came home looking like a football.

Auni
March 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM
I've had so many bad haircuts I cant even count. My last one was May 2013, I asked for a simple trim and got horrible choppy layers with a chunk missing in the front. I tried to live with it but 2 weeks later I had my husband even it out as best he could while preserving length. Since then I've been growing and trimming and by the end of this year the bad layers will all be gone and I will be around hip length. My husband is getting quite good at trimming, we learn something every time and I trust him more than any other stylist. I trim my bangs and he trims the length so no need to go to a salon anymore.

Your brave! My DH has offered to trim my hair, I'm just too nervous to let him!
Like many others have said, Mine involved layers, I asked for long layers and a V hem, what I got was something that looked liked my hair got caught in an airplane propeller!! So 2 weeks later I had to have 3 inches taken off to fix it. If it hadn't been for that, I'd almost be at MBL today.

Salty Sloth
March 1st, 2015, 01:27 PM
When I was little my mom took me to a salon and told them to give me something that suited my face shape. I ended up with a mushroom cut and I sobbed for hours and had to be DRAGGED to school because I didn't wanna be seen.

chen bao jun
March 1st, 2015, 10:09 PM
It wasn't a haircut. It was an unwanted hair trim. I haven't had a bad haircut in years, because I have refused to get haircuts since the disaster of the mullet just in time for my wedding and the pixie cut afterwards as a newly wed. That's 30-something years since I knew I NEVER wanted a 'haircut' again.

The unwanted hair trim was after the last time I had my hair professionally flat-ironed back in 2012. I had been wearing my hair naturally curly for years, and it had finally started being an obvious hot mess, because I knew nothing about proper washing methods or conditioning or not using sulphate shampoo--and didn't know I didn't know it. Anyway, I went to see if it would look a little better flat-ironed. Which just confirmed how much I hated having my hair straight. But my husband said he liked the look as a change, so I had my hair flatironed every two weeks for the next five months or so, back in thrall to the hairdresser (who is also my husband's barber.).

so the unwanted hair trim went like this. At first the hairdresser was glad to see me back, after 12 years, and very polite, even deferential and did everything exactly as I asked. AFter all, it was $100 a pop to flatiron my hair, regularly every two weeks, I know she was trying to keep me happy.And she is a nice lady, especially compared to other hairdressers I've had before her. I had stayed with her for 15 years when I was having my hair chemically straightened, ever since I came to this area. She was nice and polite when my hair busted her blow dryer comb attachment, the first time I had a new appointment and didn't ask for payment for that (I gave her a HUGE tip that time). She was nice and polite even though it took two people with two flat irons one whole hour each time I came in to flat iron my hair, the other person besides her always being one assistant or other who had to be continually reminded not to rush and be obviously impatient and not to start from the top. she took two whole months to suggest that I could start coloring my gray at my age (I was then 55 years old, though I actually didn't have any significant grey, still don't 3 years later). And she was quite meek when I said I wasn't interested in dyeing my hair then or ever, and she never brought the subject up again.

So we were getting along really very well until the day she finishes flat ironing and --takes out the shears.

I didn't ask for a hair trim and didn't want a hair trim and said so LOUDLY and CLEARLY.

And the woman would not accept that. She insisted that I had to have a trim. She actually got loud about it (she's Korean and very soft-spoken). she said I really needed one, I had to have one, I couldn't leave without one. The funny thing was, she was clearly not only determined, but actually seemed upset. Much more upset than when her hair dryer comb attachment broke on me. She finally said she was wasn't even going to charge me money for the trim, I needed it so much, showed me how much she was going to trim, which wasn't that much, maybe 1/2 inch and basically pushed me into the chair and trimmed me, with me still protesting up to the last minute and saying I didn't want a trim. she acted much like a mommy who has to get medicine down the throat of a recalcitrant kid, and pinches their nose or something and shoves it down their throat so that they won't die from their high fever or whatever it is.

She really did only trim 1/2 an inch. Maybe less than that.

But I didn't WANT a trim. And I didn't like being treated like a kid who didn't know what was good for me so far as my own hair was concerned.

She was all relieved and smiling and happy when it was done showing me in the mirror, "See only little bit. Better, much better." And I was all--

I don't even know how to describe it. But I was like, I don't even want my hair straightened to begin with, much less to have people force me to trim it when I don't want to, I am just sick and tired of this whole hairdresser thing, even if she is the best hairdresser I ever had and a nice person and all that. (I came from years of nightmare African American hairdressers, double booking, never on time, being rude as heck, cursing me when I told them perm solution was burning my scalp and all kinds of nightmare behavior I don't even want to get into here, starting from when I was a child). Even if she was my husband's barber, too and I knew he was happy with her and didn't want to offend her. I was just FED UP and I left and I knew I wasn't ever going back.

I started googling around the internet and that was when I found LHC, so it was a good thing in the end that she just 'had' to cut my hair, I still have no idea why. It may have been a little uneven on the bottom, I was probably fairy taling a bit, but if I didn't care (I was curling the ends of it under anyway), why should she?

Begemot
March 2nd, 2015, 12:45 AM
Oh my gosh, it's already been five years... Bad bangs happened and that cut convinced me to grow them out entirely, didn't want to risk the same situation happening again.

Ansaphone
April 9th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Dealing with one right now. Need to grow out 10 cm of layers so that my hair will be a blunt cut at APL... ugh. Wearimg it up although I slways feel bad about it in the mornings. First microtrim in a month.

Luminaria
April 9th, 2015, 06:08 AM
The short answer: last month. It wasn't a hair cut, but a trim. My hands slipped and I accidently cut off more than I wanted. I had to cut the other side short to even it out. I'm even further from my hair goals because of it. The long answer can be found in my Spring blog entry.

ExpectoPatronum
April 9th, 2015, 11:32 AM
My last bad hair cut also happened to be the last time I got my hair cut professionally. It wasn't so bad, but it was the fact that this woman cut off way more than I asked for, like she always did, but that time was the last straw.

For years, I had gone to the same stylist as my mom. This woman happened to be a family friend and she did both of our hair for a good price. She was usually very good about giving me the style I wanted, but she always cut off too damn much. I'd constantly tell her that I only wanted half an inch off, but my hair would always end up being the same length it was the last time I saw her (For reference, I only went every three months). As time passed, I was getting steadily more and more pissed off that my hair was never getting any longer. I went from going every three months, to just twice a year.

The last time I saw her, I had told her that I only wanted a teeny trim - NO MORE than half an inch. My hair at that point was approaching the middle of my breasts, which is the longest it had been and I loved it so much. I left her salon with shoulder length hair.

For a while, I was really angry, but I've come to realize that she just didn't know how to deal with curly hair and how it shrinks as it dries. She did still cut off more than I asked, but the shrinkage from curly hair drying would just make the difference worse.

I'm going in for my first hair cut since then tomorrow. After years of self-trimming, I finally let a friend convince me to get a Devacut. She assured me the stylist I'm seeing will listen to me, so I'm really excited about getting some shape and style to my hair tomorrow! I'm also a little nervous since...you never know :p

Nettyx
April 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM
OOooh, I've had a couple of bad ones in the past. I used to be really shy and once I went to a hairdressers (with BSL hair) with a magazine showing a hairstyle I liked (shoulder length) she misunderstood me and saw the style on the opposite page and cut my hair in a short crop - it looked like a blonde Dynasty's Alexis ! I was so shy back then I didn't even say anything when she started shopping it all off, I thought oh well, too late now. Muppet.

My hair grew to BSL again and I decided to have highlights. The hairdresser used a cap (oh dear) and put me under a dryer and forgot me. My hair then caught fire (oh yes) and I was back to a crop again. Apparently it was my fault as I should have told her it was hot, ha ha!

I have had some really good haircuts too and my hair grows pretty quickly. It has also taught me to be more assertive!

Nettyx
April 9th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I've thought of another one!

I had a perm when I was a teenager in the 80's and my friend convinced me she should cut me a fringe (bangs). She cut it wet so when it dried I had this tiny curly fringe making me look permanently surprised. You'd think I would have learned my lesson but it is only in my 30s that I have learned to leave my hair alone!

Lorzi
April 9th, 2015, 01:20 PM
About 2 or 3 years ago...an "Asian mullet" (very short layers at the top of your hair and long layers underneath). The style was very popular at the time and I thought it would be cool to try...so i cut it myself (Yikes :eek:) and had to get it "corrected" at the hairdresser...so my hair was extremely layered, fine, thin, and collar bone length. That is when I started researching and found LHC and slowly, painfully waited for my layers (some were just 3 inches short!) to grow...3 years later and extremely wonky periods, I'm still growing out the remnants of the wispy layers but I'm almost all one length and around BSL! My hair looks worlds fuller but the years of awful hair is still traumatizing to me haha!

hennalonghair
April 9th, 2015, 03:38 PM
2012- went for a 1 inch trim and got 6 inches worth of layers.
It was my LAST haircut from anyone other than myself

hennalonghair
April 9th, 2015, 03:46 PM
OOooh, I've had a couple of bad ones in the past. I used to be really shy and once I went to a hairdressers (with BSL hair) with a magazine showing a hairstyle I liked (shoulder length) she misunderstood me and saw the style on the opposite page and cut my hair in a short crop - it looked like a blonde Dynasty's Alexis ! I was so shy back then I didn't even say anything when she started shopping it all off, I thought oh well, too late now. Muppet.

My hair grew to BSL again and I decided to have highlights. The hairdresser used a cap (oh dear) and put me under a dryer and forgot me. My hair then caught fire (oh yes) and I was back to a crop again. Apparently it was my fault as I should have told her it was hot, ha ha!

I have had some really good haircuts too and my hair grows pretty quickly. It has also taught me to be more assertive!

I've thought of another one!

I had a perm when I was a teenager in the 80's and my friend convinced me she should cut me a fringe (bangs). She cut it wet so when it dried I had this tiny curly fringe making me look permanently surprised. You'd think I would have learned my lesson but it is only in my 30s that I have learned to leave my hair alone!
OMG! Haha! I hope this isn't rude to laugh at your misfortune but this is hilarious.:rollin:
I actually burst out laughing reading them:lol:

Platzhalter
April 11th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Long ago... had my last haircut in general one or two years ago and it was okay. Most of my haircuts before were far from bad, to be honest. There definitely was a bad cut once or twice, but the only time it looked really horrible was when I was eleven... or ten? Not sure. It's definitely a thing of the past for me... guess that's luck.

Katlette
April 11th, 2015, 07:15 AM
About 2 or 3 years ago...an "Asian mullet" (very short layers at the top of your hair and long layers underneath). The style was very popular at the time and I thought it would be cool to try...so i cut it myself (Yikes :eek:) and had to get it "corrected" at the hairdresser...so my hair was extremely layered, fine, thin, and collar bone length. That is when I started researching and found LHC and slowly, painfully waited for my layers (some were just 3 inches short!) to grow...3 years later and extremely wonky periods, I'm still growing out the remnants of the wispy layers but I'm almost all one length and around BSL! My hair looks worlds fuller but the years of awful hair is still traumatizing to me haha!

I did exactly this! It was a long time ago and the layers have already grown out, but it was awful at the time. I think the worst thing was that, after I had it fixed at the hairdressers, I actually thought it looked great. It just didn't. The bits at the top were so short they stuck up most of the time.

Hurven
April 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I can't say that I've had a bad haircut other than when the stylist cuts too much. For some reason, every stylist I've ever had insists on straightening my hair before cutting it, and since I'm wavy (usually 1c/2a, but 2b or even 2c on some days!) my hair gets longer when straightened. So when I wash it at home after having a haircut, it shrinks and it looks like the stylist took more length than she actually did.

I last had a haircut about three weeks ago to cut out some hair dye. I told the stylist to cut off 5 cm, but when I got home and washed it looked like she had taken more like 8 cm because of the shrinkage. It doesn't really bother me that much, but it's still annoying.

noreenw
April 12th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Well, almost 3 years ago my hair was the longest it had ever been (brushing boobs) and I went in for a trim... and came out 5 inches shorter, which taking the extra curl into account wasn't even shoulder length. Probably necessary, given that I had a lot of heat/bleach damage, but it was traumatizing given that she didn't explain with she was going to do and why, she just started cutting! Looking back, it didn't look bad on me, but I really missed my long(ish) hair and felt like I had a "mommy cut".

The good news is it's almost as long now as it was before (only discovered LHC a year ago and until then was still subjecting it to all kinds of poor treatment) and now it is so curly and soft :)

Zugar
April 12th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Mine was about two weeks ago. The hairdresser I usually go to was away from work, so I went to a different salon. My hair is thick and wavy/wurly, and she told me she wanted to straighten it. If I said no, she would cut the hair while wet. I came to the conclusion that neither options were great, but the straightening would be less damaging. She did only give me a trim, that was ok. But, she did it crocked. I didnīt see it at the salon, only noticed it at home. My right side is a bit shorter than the left side, consistently around my head. I donīt care because it wonīt show when my hair has its usual shape, but I wonīt go to that salon again.

This seems minor when reading your stories, but.... guess Iīve for the most been lucky with the cuts. Itīs more the comments Iīve received about my hair (from hairdressers) thatīs been my problem, I think.

Wusel
April 12th, 2015, 03:08 PM
2012- went for a 1 inch trim and got 6 inches worth of layers.
It was my LAST haircut from anyone other than myself

So, what would you recommend ME?
I don't thrust hairstylists as they always ruin my hair completely and last night I ruined it by cutting it myself!:couch::justy::angry:
Way too short and uneven bangs, shorter above one eyebrow and longer on the other side...
I look like a had an accident with a lawnmower!!!!!!!
I'm sooo stupid!
I don't even know how I could do it SO extremely bad. It's like an art of its own to do something like this!

NEVER, NEVER try to cut your own hair after midnight!!!

It'll take a month or even two to grow this s*** out...

gwenalyn
April 13th, 2015, 04:57 PM
So, what would you recommend ME?
I don't thrust hairstylists as they always ruin my hair completely and last night I ruined it by cutting it myself!:couch::justy::angry:
Way too short and uneven bangs, shorter above one eyebrow and longer on the other side...
I look like a had an accident with a lawnmower!!!!!!!
I'm sooo stupid!
I don't even know how I could do it SO extremely bad. It's like an art of its own to do something like this!

NEVER, NEVER try to cut your own hair after midnight!!!

It'll take a month or even two to grow this s*** out...

You could try getting a trusted friend/relative/SO to help. Sometimes going to a barber helps--they may be less likely to ... uh ... "overinterpret" when they cut.

I had an awful self-cut bang situation three months ago. You just have to grow it out :( Look on the bright side! It's not so bad, short bangs don't get in your eyes so much, and they are pretty trendy right now. My SO thought I looked "indie" (hah!). Pins and clips are nice. I wore darker/redder lipstick to make the whole look more edgy for a while, and I actually appreciated the chance to expand my style horizons. But yeah, right there with you!

therebelqueen
April 14th, 2015, 07:43 PM
My last bad haircut was The Terrible Bob of 2010. I was getting a free haircut from a student of mine who owned one of the fancy salons. At the time I figured that this person was a successful professional so I'd let him do whatever he thought best. I went from MBL (the shortest I had been in years!) to an awful chin-length 1920's style bob with thick, blunt bangs. Since I wear thick glasses, the only part of my face that was visible was my nose and part of my mouth. Luckily, a friend of mine used to be a hairdresser. When she saw my haircut, and how obviously I hated it, she immediately sat me down, side-swept the bangs and lightened up the front. It was still a bob, but at least I had a face!

Foolishly, I went back as The Bob was growing out. I got First Lady hair. And that was the last time I went to that stylist.

Since then, I've gotten a lot more vocal with hairdressers. I have a list of things they need to know before they do anything with my hair. For instance: I don't own a blow dryer/straightener/curling iron, nor will I be buying one. I'm growing my hair out, so when I say trim I mean less than an inch. My hair gets very heavy, so start layering at the former-bangs and continue down. I know you think I should have bangs (I get this every time), but I should not have bangs and I have pictures to prove it.

Also, I carry around pictures of my hair (front, back and both sides) that were taken just after a good cut so I can say, "Like this, but at my current length." Usually, once I get to the end of all that info, I can walk into almost anywhere and get a haircut that won't send me into tears.