PDA

View Full Version : How to color over henna to get medium brown?

lizziejo82
February 26th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I have been coloring my hair with 100% BAQ henna for about 1 1/2 years. I would like to go back to my natural brown, or at least not as red. Would mixing henna and indigo help? Should I add amla or cassia? Or would an indigo gloss be best? Thanks!

lapushka
February 26th, 2015, 02:15 PM
You have to consider that the tone of brown is going to be darker than the red tone. So if you have a light copper orange tone of henna, you might achieve a lighter brown than if you had auburn or burgundy in your hair (then the brown is going to turn out much much darker).

Strand test!

lizziejo82
February 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Yes I will definitely strand test first. It is dark red right now, I think I will try lightening with honey a few times, then try the henna/indigo.

Lavendersugar
February 26th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Amla will create a cool tone with the henna/indigo mix. I used to use the three to create a level 4 brown. Keep in mind with henna you will have some red. I recieved tons of compliments and people always asking if it was natural or what dye did I use.
Amla will help the indigo stay in the hair. I washed with dish soap, I know harsh but it helped the color stick. I never had indigo fade.
I'm a natural level 5 and used a 50/50 mix. The red turned more cherry. I used Ancient Sunrise henna, indigo and amla. Mixed with lemon juice. If you want to help lessen the read use amla as the acid dye release component. Then mix some with warm water while you wait for the indigo to release just before applying. Amla will give the henna a more brown tone as well as help the indigo stick. You can add in some apple juice if you would like to lessen the henna smell.

I would suggest vit c if you want to do henna lightening. It works fast and you may only need one application.

I only henna now. Make sure you really want to do this because once indigo is in your hair removal will be complicated. I tried several times to get a good removal. Turned green every time.