PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Washing Frequency

ChloeDharma
March 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I know this seems a bit backwards as most people here seem to struggle with stretching out washes. But i'm doing a kind of experiment, informally, the aim is to oil at night then wash with methi in the morning each day for a month. That's the advice i've seen on a few sites saying that after a month hairloss will stop and growth will increase.
Now i doubt i can manage every day as i actually only wash once a week or even 2 weeks sometimes, partly due to laziness. But i think my scalp might like me to wash more often.
Thing is, i was wondering if there might be any downsides to this.....methi is conditioning plus it'll be being oiled of course so i can't think of any, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also does anybody want to join in the experiment? I wont be doing it properly, but maybe someone more disciplined would like to try? oh the oil suggested is coconut oil.....i'll be using as usual bhringraj oil on my scalp (base of coconut oil) and dabur vatika for light oiling and length oiling.

swetha
March 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I did follow sort of a similar routine last month! My purpose was to help me with itchy scalp though and it really helped. I didn't use methi everyday though. I guess once every three days. Methi is definitely very conditioning. I didn't do oiling my hair the night before using methi either.

I would like to join you. I wouldn't probably be able to do it everyday but may be continue with what I did last month plus add oiling.

icydove
March 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I tried doing a fenugreek paste wash once, and the smell lingered forever. I won't join you on this experiment, but I wish you luck ;)

Possible problems with washing daily could include friction damage from frequent washing and detangling and your scalp getting stripped and overproducing oil.

Shell
March 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'd love to try it, but I'm just too lazy to wash my hair every day! I wish you luck though, and please tell us how it turns out.

Cinnamon Hair
March 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I don't like the idea of shampooing daily, but aside from that I think it is a sound plan. Of course to remove the oil, I suppose you would have to shampoo. Are you going to shampoo length or just scalp?
I wouldn't recommend shampooing the length every day, but if it is only a 1 month experiment, I don't think you'll cause much harm.

I CO wash every day and know others who do as well. It doesn't seem to cause any issues, and I don't think it would unless you were just vicious at washing/detangling. There are definite pros to washing every day....1. would be increased moisture.

swetha
March 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys for the warnings! I use herbs for washing my hair and have stopped using shampoo a long time ago. Even then, washing everyday is not a good idea I guess. I am not quite sure now to include the oiling part since I wouldn't want to wash it once every three days too. May be I would just use the methi paste once every three days and eliminate the oiling part.

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I dont think I have every heard of methi before. I dont wash every day but I do know that if I try to extend washing my length gets very dry.

ChloeDharma
March 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

Icydove.....i don't mind the Methi smell, in fact it's part of my motive to do this lol. Yes the friction from herb particles i can see being a worry.....i'll have to have a think about that....oil stripping....well i did a paste yesterday of 5 parts methi, 1 part shikakai, half a part cayenne and 1 part amla.....it did clean, but definately didn't strip, in fact it seemed to leave some oil in there...but i was rushing so it wasn't a good experiment.

Shell, i'm not sure what i'm really expecting from the experiment....my shedding is already down so ummmm i guess to see if a growth increase happens, though i can't see it happening within a month.

Cinnamon Hair i wont be shampooing it at all, i usually onlt CO my hair even to get out really heavy oilings with things like castor oil, i only use shampoo if i have to rush for some reason.
If i need extra oil removing i might just do a shikakai rinse before the methi. So the daily wetting itself would be ok, just need to think about the possible friction damage then.

Swetha....if you fancy oiling then it does remove a bit.....just maybe do medium oilings as opposed to slathering it on like i do?

chotee
March 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
sounds interesting, i find one problem when i use methi and that is it leaves a lot of tiny particles and they don't come out easily. But i am sure it does a lot of goodness to hair. Methi is a protein treatment for hair and i am sure your growth will increase if you were to do it everyday. I don't think washing by itself causes the problem, i think its how you handle and dry your hair :smile:. Keep posting, i would love to know the results and outcome

chotee

nastasska
March 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
I've been washing my hair more frequently too:) About every four or five days not everyday though but I think my scalp is better for it
So I hope you get some good results:cheese:

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM
I sorta am going back.. in the worst of winter, I let it stretch to a week between, but I'm back to twice a week, and may even go more often- I don't like the greasy look.. I am going to try a different washing method and see if that helps.. if it does I will stick with the twice a week, if not, I'll try for 3 times.. my problem is time is short and my hair takes awhile to air dry.. during the summer its easier- I'll leave the house with wet hair, but I hate doing that when its cold out and today they are predicting more snow even if it is officially spring

ChloeDharma
March 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, yes i read about the protein content Chotee, i'm wondering if i might need to balance that a bit at some point with more moisture treatments. Though my hair does love protein so i'm not expecting anything bad from that.
The other thing that i found interesting is that Methi contains a form of estrogen.....and given the bits i've read about estrogen increasing growth and also extending the anagen growth part of the cycle i thought there might be a bit more to this than just a good conditioning treatment.
That's why i thought adding the cayenne for increased circulation to the scalp might add to the effect.

Unfortunately as predicted i'm not keeping up with this every day, wednesday was the last time i did this, but i'll do it again tonight to try to make sure that i dont let more than a day go in between.

chotee
March 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Chloedharma, how do you wash off the methi particles. Or is it that they drop off once your hair dries. I would love to know.

chotee

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Is methi fenugreek?

swetha
March 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hi girlcat36! Methi is fenugreek. I used methi last night. I made a paste of it and left it on my scalp for about one and a half hour. I rinsed it off but didn't wash my hair. I didn't oil my hair like ChloeDharma wanted to. Any amount of my oil has to be washed and I didn't want to wash my hair.

The methi treatment left my hair really soft...softer than any of the methi treatments that I did before....I guess this is because I left it longer than usual. Usually I leave it for about 45 mins. I guess my next one would be in about 3-4 days.

ChloeDharma
March 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hi Chotee, well usually i just rinse it ALOT! I don't use the whole seeds though, i buy them powdered which probably makes a difference as i hear the seeds are a nightmare to remove. Sometimes though i have found myself resorting to using some conditioner to help get the gritty bits out.

Girlcat36 yeah, sorry methi is fenugreek, the seeds are what tend to be recommended for this.

Swetha, i haven't found methi alone amazing at removing oil but i'm ok with that really as i like my hair a bit oily. I did think for a bit of oil removal of a shikakai rinse first though.

chotee
March 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
This is exactly the thread i was looking for, thanks Chloedharma for starting it. I use methi powder too. I added like 2 tablespoons to my henna mixure with triphala and amla powder of 1 tbsp each. I let them soak in hot tea for a while and now it sits on my head. Like swetha, i am planning to leave it for 2 hours and see how my hair feels. I am planning to wash it with shikakai and see how it goes. But my washings i am planning to restrict it every 3-4 days.

chotee

ktani
March 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
I wish you luck with the experiment - I will not be joining though - I have stretched out my hair washing to once a week on occasssion.

I have read that daily washing is not necessary but at least twice a week is healthier for the scalp.

Silver & Gold
March 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
I know that methi and fenugreek are one in the same however, when I read methi I generally think that one is talking about the leaves of the plant and when I read fenugreek I tend to think one is speaking of the seeds. When you refer to using methi are you speaking of the leaves or the seeds?

swetha
March 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Silver & Gold!..I am speaking of the seeds....

Silver & Gold
March 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually have an abundance of the seeds right now, I have whole, cracked and ground methi. I've made a paste of ground methi to use in my hair for conditioning once. But after I purchased the cassia I kinda forgot about it. I might look into this again.

nappywomyn
April 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Oooh, interesting, interesting! I will definitely have to look into this more - thanks CholeDharma!