PDA

View Full Version : Non-damaging things to do or try when you're bored with your hair....

CurlyCap
February 25th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Lately, I've been really bored with my hair. I LOVE my hair, but I'm not really in the mood nor do I have the energy to do something complex.

But at the same time, I am SO SICK of bunning it. I attempt to "treat" myself by wearing it down only to find myself saying, "I'm even sick of wearing it down!"

So I thought I'd start a thread where people can leave tips or even discuss ways to combat hair boredom.

What's your favorite method? DTs? Braiding? Measuring it against common household objects?

Please share!

endlessly
February 25th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Normally, I would tell you that braiding is my go-to when I'm bored with my hair - but that all changed very recently for me. I've tried every type of braid imaginable and unfortunately, I become pretty bored of even braiding. I have a tendency when I'm at my most bored to either color or cut my hair - and typically, neither ends up looking the greatest!

However, my favorite hairstyle is to braid it in several medium-sized braids, wear it overnight, and then undo the braids in the morning - gorgeous mermaid hair. So, that's my favorite thing to do when I'm feeling bored with it. Last night, however, I opted to color it back to my original color and then chop off the damaged ends...and today I regret that!

yahirwaO.o
February 25th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Well you already have very textured hair, I dont know how you find it boring when you can do all things with it.... imagine living with forever straight hair that wont do anything except being straight.

I have color my tips with crazy chalk colors in the past blue, pink, neon green and find it really awesome and different without too much complication.

And for finding myself with something different from my regular pin locks, I start anytype of dutch-french braid and then the remaining I make 2 super compress fishtail braids with very little strands crossing over in damp hair..... When I undo the braids after 1 or 2 days, Im left with opposite of my hair, fulness and super wild almost curls waves all over, not regular crimps that often get from a regular braid.,,,,,This is my way of cheating super texture hair with a lot of volume. Again to me this is something really different, but for already curly or kinky hair is not that much of a big deal.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 25th, 2015, 09:39 PM
A DT, yes. Trying to learn a new style. Trying to put it up and forget about it. Trying different volume with braid waves, I don't braid much.

As a last resort, buying a new hair toy or a microtrim........ a couple of days ago I was sick of the length and the effort needed to "do" something with it and was tempted to chop it off to BSL.... just so I could wear it loose at least without worrying about the ends for once.

TaterTot
February 25th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Wigs. Seriously, so much fun, not that expensive and if you don't wear them all the time or to places you always go it's great to have some "mood hair".

HintOfMint
February 25th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Haha, there's a dual purpose in replying to this thread: giving you ideas and brainstorming my own. I'm also in a bit of a rut.

Hmm...

From a maintenance angle, there's S&D or even a trim if you're due. There's also clarifying with a DT. A recipe that I'm particularly enamored with is an avocado-honey-olive oil blend.
From a styling angle, you could bust out the Caruso rollers to change your curl pattern. If I recall correctly, I think you've used them for a very glamorous "old hollywood" look that was quite pretty! I love my set, I keep meaning to use them but get too lazy.
From a consumerist angle, new shampoo/conditioner/products! I just realized that I've been using the same shampoo and conditioner since the summer. Y'know, those cute bottles of Organix are lookin' mighty friendly...

Rosetta
February 26th, 2015, 02:24 AM
Dyeing your hair with deposit-only dye is my usual go-to :D

(Though trying to remove it when you get bored of the dye *might* end up being slightly damaging...))

Upside Down
February 26th, 2015, 02:34 AM
I know the feeling. I would do some heatless styling and wear it down for a day. Or, color experiments, those are always fun. Do a streak or so to brighten up the buns and braids.

Bangs are my last resort, and they appear and dissapear/grow out in cycles :lol:

Luminaria
February 26th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Hair accessories and headbands are my go-tos. Braids and updos can be fun too. Learning new tips and styles and experimenting with my hair keeps me from becoming bored with it.

Madora
February 26th, 2015, 07:59 AM
I tried to learn new braided styles...or tried braided variations on styles I already knew.

Robot Ninja
February 26th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Heat-free curls are always fun, until they fall out. Then they're frustrating. I did buy some flax seeds to experiment with flax seed gel, I just haven't gotten around to it.
Usually, when I get bored I just put it up and forget about it, and go do something else that's interesting.

Nique1202
February 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Lately my go-to for hair boredom is to go to YouTube (usually Lilith Moon, Torrin Paige, or SilVousPlaits) and play with a new style, usually one of the Game of Thrones or Hunger Games ones. I may not have occasion to wear any of these elaborate styles anywhere, but I'll have the skills to do them anyway!

Arctic
February 26th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Learning new braids and occasionally using a temporary colour.

TwilightShadow
February 26th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Trying a new fantasy hairstyle. Or changing the hair color. You can try a semi-permanent dye in a crazier color; you don't even have to do all your hair, just some strands or the ends. I recently dyed my hair with a combination of Manic Panic Wildfire and Vampire Red and it turned out very red, sort of cherry red. I sometimes get comments and compliments on my hair, but I can honestly say I've never got so many as I did in the last 2 weeks.

Seeshami
February 26th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Accent braids and decorative bobbles. His highness hates the lets glitter the mess phases.

3 Cat Night
February 26th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Hair chalk? Maybe? I've never tried it, but it seems like it might be fun.

jel
February 26th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I find I don't get bored with my hair if I quickly put it up and forget it. Or maybe I forget it because I'm bored with it... ;)

Instead of a DT, which I only tend to do in the shower, I sometimes spend a half hour in the evening detangling my hair with a fine horn comb and using it to spread some castor or olive oil before braiding for bed.

lapushka
February 26th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Ever since hitting waist, my go-to has been a LWB. I'm TBL+ right now. Almost 24/7 I wear that bun except on wash days. I don't feel bored in the slightest. :shrug:

kidari
February 26th, 2015, 05:10 PM
If I'm bored I try to see if I can tweak anything in my routine to make it better, faster, cheaper, etc. That or discover a new oil or make a different batch of DT or leave-in. I'm trying to make my way through an entire year without trims so I seriously am so obsessed with my hair care routine that I bought a planner that shows the entire month where you can write on it and weekly layouts as well. I write in every wash day and every treatment, etc. I write notes so I can look back and check things. It's helping me to mark my progress with stretching washes and reminding me to do treatments and keeping me occupied so I don't trim 2x a month like I always do.

proo
February 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Curlycap-
have you tried a paranda?
With your hair and length it could be a wonderful protective style.
And it's crafty, you could make it.

Seeshami
March 1st, 2015, 11:01 AM
As a thick hair I hate parandas. I don't need more i have enough as they are. I had several of the most beautiful parandas and I never touched them.

Arctic
March 1st, 2015, 11:10 AM
Another idea.

Try some new ways to style the front of your hair. That's the part we see the most ourselves, and we can try new buns till we are blue, yet the image in the mirror looks the same. New looks for the front helps the mind realize there is a new look and no need to be bored. :)