PDA

View Full Version : protein overload, need help

Obsidian
February 25th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Seems in my quest to help my hair stay healthy, I've overloaded it with protein and now its dry, crispy and brittle feeling. I'm a bit at a loss what to do. I know I need moisture but it seems almost everything has some form of protein. Can anyone recommend natural type stuff I might try? Right now I have in a deep conditioning treatment with a couple different conditioners that seem to be protein free.
I have split ends for the first time in over a year, I hope I can fix this without resorting to chopping what little length I have off.

Anje
February 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM
For me what worked was an SMT. I just use Suave Naturals (usually Aloe and Waterlily, but just about anything other than Tropical Coconut should work -- the coconut contains protein and was the source of my problem). The Biolage Conditioning Balm knock-off I get at Sally Beauty is also very good, if you're hunting for something. If you don't mind a tiny bit of silicone, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is good stuff and protein-free. Those are my main rotation right now. :) Generally avoid the conditioners that advertise themselves as being for damaged hair and especially as restructuring, since those are most likely to have protein.

You might need to fiddle with quanities, but think something like:
1/4 cup clear aloe gel (at Walmart, look by the lotions for Fruit of the Earth)
1/4 cup honey (other sugar syrups work too -- I tend to use corn syrup because it's cheap and honey is yummy)
1 cup conditioner

Warm it gently, put it in your hair, and wrap in a shower cap. Leave it on for about 30 minutes and be prepared for it to drip. Then rinse it out. Hopefully your hair will feel somewhat better when it dries.

It took me about a week of doing these daily and just calling them CO washing before my hair was fully recovered from protein overload, but I had it pretty bad.

Hope that helps!

meteor
February 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Oils (especially pre-poo oiling) and SMT. Or just add oils to your SMT! :D

You need moisture, so emollients, humectants and occlusives.

Obsidian
February 25th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Thank you, I'll head to the store in a bit and pick up some more conditioners and aloe if I can find it. I have plenty of corn syrup I can use up. Forgive me but I'm sick right now and my brain isn't up to par, what is SMT?
Right now I have a mix of queen helenes cholesterol (the protein free version) and VO5 clarifying conditioner under a heat wrap, hopefully it will help.

meteor
February 25th, 2015, 04:26 PM
what is SMT?

Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment:
4 parts conditioner
1 part honey
1 part aloe (preferably natural)
Ongoing thread on this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

gthlvrmx
February 25th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Try using the oil when your hair is damp/wet to retain as much moisture as possible. Fresh aloe vera from the plant can be used to attract moisture into the hair since it is a humectant. Just make sure the air around you is humid enough for moisture to be taken into your hair. Humectants will suck the moisture out of your hair is the weather is very dry. The dew point for humectants to work well is between 45-60F. I think anything under that will cause your hair to lose moisture. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71085
That's where someone mentions the dew point part. Raw honey can also be used to attract moisture!

Obsidian
February 25th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment:
4 parts conditioner
1 part honey
1 part aloe (preferably natural)
Ongoing thread on this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Thank you, I knew I had seen it before but just couldn't remember. I couldn't find any aloe at the store but I do have a large plant that needs trimming so I'll use some of it next treatment. I ended up getting more VO5 natural tea conditioner, I don't really care for how thin it is but it doesn't aggravate my SD.

The humidity is very low right now, probably around 10 or possibly lower so I'll turn on the humidifier. I usually use shea in my hair after I wash but I'm going to try almond oil for awhile. Do you think a little glycerin in the smt would help at all?

hidetheice
February 25th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I also suffer from protein overload due to keratin treatments combined with too many products with heavy proteins. Took me a while before figuring out that the things I was using to try to help were actually making the problem worse. Obviously, I cut out all protein containing products and started CWC, with the last C being an SMT. I had great results inititally with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner and Aussie 3 minute miracle but if I use those too much it makes my hair unhappy (i think from the cones?) so I use v05 conditioners most of the time and occasionally one with cones. I also got a satin pillowcase, wear my hair in a bun and S&D occasionally (trying to cut back on that because i get obsessive with it).

Obsidian
February 25th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I looked at the garnier products but my scalp doesn't like cones which it too bad because my hair likes them. My hair feels a lot better after the moisture treatment, my curls are actually defined and not tangled together but is still frizzy.

TaterTot
February 25th, 2015, 06:40 PM
My hair did the same thing with too much protein - now I try to get it all in my diet