PDA

View Full Version : Hair Care Swimming (NO oil, NO conditioner?)

jaquelines
February 25th, 2015, 12:25 PM
I am looking for a hair protection during swimming which does not include oils, or conditioner.
My scalp is in a good place at this moment, I wash my hair about every 8th day, but swim twice a week.
Since I do not wish to wash my hair everytime I swim, is there any other option I could use besides oils or conditioner under my hair cap?
Maybe something like a herbal rinse with protective benefits?
Hair cap alone does not fully protect my hair, water is still breaking through.

HaMalka
February 26th, 2015, 06:28 AM
I think that if you soaked your hair with ordinary water before putting it up under your swim cap it would be more resistant to taking in the pool water. I have not swum in a long time and I don't quite remember how well this worked.

Federica
February 26th, 2015, 06:33 AM
A friend of mine, who has some stunning CL hair and is a swimmer, told me that she uses two silicone swim caps one upon the other, and that's all.
Her hair doesn't get wet at all like this.

jaquelines
February 26th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I can barely put one silicon cap on my head. For some reason they always slip away (I am swimming under water). But I will give it a try. And wet my hair before that.

DreamSheep
February 26th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I'm interested in this too!

Maybe buy a larger cap (for men maybe), and you could layer 2 or 3 (perhaps a cloth one and then two silicone ones)

Becs
February 26th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I swam at least 5 days a week for most all of my life, and when I started growing my hair out in high school what I would do before swimming was first oil my hair with olive oil (I know you don't want to do that, but it was helpful for me) and then wet my hair down completely with water from the shower (as that way the chlorinated water can't be soaked up as much by your hair as it's already saturated) and then I put my hair up and wore a latex swim cap. I too had issues with silicone caps, as they would always slip off, even if I had no oil in my hair. Silicone caps just didn't agree with me. At meets I would wear two latex caps, which would honestly keep the majority of my hair dry, except for the hair at the nape. I didn't wear two caps on a regular basis though because it would kind of squeeze my head and give me a headache if I wore them for too long

truepeacenik
February 26th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I used a pool with a no oil rule.
So, a swim cap was my only option. I soaked with plain water,before, and rinsed with ACV right after.

Wildcat Diva
February 26th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I had read about club soda rinse, but not sure how well this actually works

In2wishin
February 26th, 2015, 11:21 AM
I use a swim cap made for long hair. I bun my hair in back and the cap has this extra pouch-ey thing that fits over the bun. Never had a problem with it riding up. If I am not going to wash my hair after swimming, I rinse with a mild solution of sodium thiosulfate which is the dechlorinator frequently used in aquarium water treatments. I also rinse my suit in it so I can get the chlorine out.

Nadine <3
February 26th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I thought maybe this would be interesting for you. I know you don't want to put stuff in your hair, but the protection shown here I think is worth it.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/your-hair-on-chlorine.html

EDITED TO ADD: I'm sure if you use a silicone free conditioner (the one used here is just Suave) you could probably get away with not shampooing. Just rinse it out.

gthlvrmx
February 26th, 2015, 11:36 AM
There's an article here that says club soda can be used after a swim to get rid of minerals from the water.

jaquelines
February 26th, 2015, 02:06 PM
First of all I am going to do my homework, where I live we only have some dumb standard hair caps and my hair isn't the shortest anymore. I will look on the internet to find some good hair caps.

Becs exactly that part of the head I was thinking at, I assume you mean the back of the head. If I cover my hears with the cap, it will cover all the hair, but it slips faster. If I don't cover the ears, due to my hairline, lots of hairs will take in the chlorine water, especially the frontline, which is, like with the most of us, the thinnest.

Nadine <3 Thankx for the link, always a geek for reading studies . I used to do heavy oiling by night, apply conditioner in the morning and swim with it (under the cap), wash it out after. Since I am back on herbal washing, have to wash the mix at home and at this moment I am on a trial base to find the right mixture of herbs, so that no conditioner is required after.

truepeacenik So often I think about having a microscope at home for my hair, it will make everything easier.
I guess I will try it this way, with an ACV and see what's happening. of course, with the cap, only a small amount of water will reach my hair. But still, the idea of having chlorine water in my hair...yuk. On someone who is SLS, Shampoo, Conditioner, Cones, etc...free.

Wish I could be able to test it and see how my hair looks under microscope after this.

:agape:

endlessly
February 26th, 2015, 02:31 PM
There is a YouTuber named Lucy's Corsetry who has very long hair and addresses the issue of swimming in one of her videos since she uses a specific swim cap for very long hair that doesn't slip off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czj4DOl6UO4

jaquelines
February 26th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Sorry. I was too busy looking at her hair. Forgot what this thread was about..:D
My cap is something like 3 times smaller, I really need a bigger one.

There is a YouTuber named Lucy's Corsetry who has very long hair and addresses the issue of swimming in one of her videos since she uses a specific swim cap for very long hair that doesn't slip off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czj4DOl6UO4