PDA

View Full Version : Shedding yesterday's hair or today's

Donyyful
February 25th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Hey everyone, just a quick question in regards to shedding amount and pattern.

I came back from work yesterday and decided to do a coconut milk soak overnight on my scalp and hair. When I washed it out in the morning today, I experienced a massive amount of shedding. I counted most of my strands that I was able to collect and it came up to about 150 strands. This was not my first time doing a coconut milk soak or applying any sort of oil to my scalp and leaving it overnight. This isn't normal for me to lose this much of hair, and the amount seemed a lot more than it usual was in terms of appearance.

I was obviously upset, because I am trying to regain my ponytail circumference back as although I have VERY thick individual strands of hair, I don't have a lot of hair on my head. Being a 1A hair type doesn't help either.

I thought about it and perhaps the hair that I had ''shed'' today was a mixture of today and yesterday's hair that may have already shed but did not fall on the floor? I had already washed my hair the day before that as well.

The reason why I have this assumption is because when I was at work yesterday, I had it up in a ponytail throughout the whole day, and when I got home, I slapped on the coconut milk immediately and threw on a shower cap, so perhaps no hair was able to shed or fall out of my hair?

So what do you think? Could it be a combination of yesterday and today's hair shedding or just strictly today's shedding only?

Hope I made some sense.

x

TwilightShadow
February 25th, 2015, 05:33 AM
If you didn't comb your hair at all since you put it in a ponytail until you washed this morning, it can definitely be a mixture of 2 days' hair.

CastaDiva
February 25th, 2015, 05:34 AM
It is normal to shed hair from previous days if you haven't washed or combed/brushed it. You are right when you say that the hair you shed today is a mixture of yesterdays and todays shed, because they had no way of fall on the floor if you did not wash or comb/brush it. Sometimes when I'm lazy or just sitting around the house I keep my hair up for days and if I have to rearrange my updo I do so without brushing it, and when I finally wash and comb/brush my hair, I shed a small furry animal. All the hairs that were supposed to fall to the floor or end up in my brush every day but didn't because I didn't wash or brush, all come out at the same time, and over a period of several days that can be a significant amount of hair. So what you are describing sounds normal to me.

Donyyful
February 25th, 2015, 05:41 AM
If you didn't comb your hair at all since you put it in a ponytail until you washed this morning, it can definitely be a mixture of 2 days' hair.

I hope so! Thanks for your reply x

Donyyful
February 25th, 2015, 05:42 AM
It is normal to shed hair from previous days if you haven't washed or combed/brushed it. You are right when you say that the hair you shed today is a mixture of yesterdays and todays shed, because they had no way of fall on the floor if you did not wash or comb/brush it. Sometimes when I'm lazy or just sitting around the house I keep my hair up for days and if I have to rearrange my updo I do so without brushing it, and when I finally wash and comb/brush my hair, I shed a small furry animal. All the hairs that were supposed to fall to the floor or end up in my brush every day but didn't because I didn't wash or brush, all come out at the same time, and over a period of several days that can be a significant amount of hair. So what you are describing sounds normal to me.

I'm relieved to hear that there could be a possibility of both yesterday and todays hair; 150 strands seems a huge amount. Thanks for your reply! :)

momschicklets
February 25th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I don't brush or comb my hair very often, and I only wash once a week. And I've definitely noticed a larger shed when I do finally get around to washing...and I'm pretty sure it's because all the hair for the week that's been sitting around on my scalp gets shed all at once. I try not to wince but sometimes I'm like :bigeyes: Totally normal though...

CastaDiva
February 25th, 2015, 06:16 AM
I'm relieved to hear that there could be a possibility of both yesterday and todays hair; 150 strands seems a huge amount. Thanks for your reply! :)

You're welcome :) To shed 50-100/150 strands of hair a day is considered to be normal, some shed less and some shed more, and it varies throughout the year, so called seasonal shedding. So to shed 150 strands in two days is well within what's considered to be normal. But I would suggest you don't count, because it is easy to get obsessed with the amount of shedding, and can lead you to think that you are shedding excessively even if you are not. If you don't shed more than you have before or see visible thinning or thinner ponytail circumference, I would say that you should try not to worry about this :)

lapushka
February 25th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I don't brush or comb my hair very often, and I only wash once a week. And I've definitely noticed a larger shed when I do finally get around to washing...and I'm pretty sure it's because all the hair for the week that's been sitting around on my scalp gets shed all at once. I try not to wince but sometimes I'm like :bigeyes: Totally normal though...

Same here. No combing/brushing for a week, and then at the end of the week it all comes out.

I wouldn't worry too much, OP.

Donyyful
February 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM

I know how you feel. Although my hair is type 1A, it gets matted very easily since my hair is quite course in nature, so I could imagine all my shed hairs getting all matted and tangled in my head.

Donyyful
February 25th, 2015, 11:43 AM
You're welcome :) To shed 50-100/150 strands of hair a day is considered to be normal, some shed less and some shed more, and it varies throughout the year, so called seasonal shedding. So to shed 150 strands in two days is well within what's considered to be normal. But I would suggest you don't count, because it is easy to get obsessed with the amount of shedding, and can lead you to think that you are shedding excessively even if you are not. If you don't shed more than you have before or see visible thinning or thinner ponytail circumference, I would say that you should try not to worry about this :)

Very true. Its so hard to not obsess over shedding though! Thanks again x

Donyyful
February 25th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Same here. No combing/brushing for a week, and then at the end of the week it all comes out.

I wouldn't worry too much, OP.

Its annoying when you have to unclog your drain from all the shed hairs and roll it up in a ball; whenever I do so I think how my hair would be thicker if I didn't lose it, but we all know thats not true :p

vega
February 26th, 2015, 02:47 AM
You are going bald and need a Weave only jokes I think its defiently 2 days of hair shed u have nothing to worry about x

Donyyful
February 26th, 2015, 07:09 AM
You are going bald and need a Weave only jokes I think its defiently 2 days of hair shed u have nothing to worry about x

LOL let me get dat Brazilian then ;)