PDA

View Full Version : Chair Damage

PurpleSunshine
February 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I usually spend a good amount of time at my computer, and its usually when I have my hair down after a long day of work/classes, when I always have it up, so it needed down time. I fidget quite a bit in my chair during that time, since I do a lot of gaming and can't sit still. My chair at my computer is wood, would it be worth it to get a cover for my chair out of a silky material to help with potential damage to my hair? My hair is about 1-2 inches past classic length, so would it be better to just cover the chair anywhere my hair touches, or would be getting a new chair be better, what kind of material should i use/it be made out of?

Or would there be a better option other than putting my hair up again? Like a stool or something?

Anje
February 24th, 2015, 11:10 AM
How about keeping your hair over your shoulder?

Chairs definitely have a reputation for eating hair around here. I don't think it's just materials -- leaning back against the hair is often also a factor. It's rather amazing how many people report a sudden increase in splits, breakage, and inability to grow their hair past approximately the spot where their usual chair hits their back (though clearly you've managed to get past that one). When I realized this, it was quite an eye-opener looking around college classrooms and lecture pits!

ETA: I've got a friend or two who have balance ball chairs that they love for back health. They'd be relatively hair-friendly, but your core muscles will probably be bugging you at first.

Larki
February 24th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I've gotten in the habit the last few years of just always pulling my hair over my shoulder before I sit down if my hair is down. Solves the problem.

meteor
February 24th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I'd just keep it over the shoulder, maybe braided.

Another idea is to do 2 twin braids starting next to the ears, so that the braids will naturally fall forward and will feel comfortable in this position.

But since you tend to fidget a lot during that time, ideally, of course, I'd recommend keeping hair up. If your bun feels too tight on your scalp or you are tired of it being placed in the same position, just do another updo: a coronet (faux crown/Timoshenko braid) is a great and very comfy one or variations of heidi/milkmaid braids are comfortable, too.

lapushka
February 24th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I typically only let my hair down in order to go to bed, maybe keeping it up in a much looser style the rest of the evening is an option?

Waverly
February 24th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I swear by balance balls! I got one in 2011 when I was pregnant with DS1 to help get him in a good position for birth (total waste of time btw as i got railroaded into an induction when he clearly wasn't ready and still back-to-back - argh!) Anyway, it's so comfy and good for my back that I kept it. I've had an ectopic pregnancy and was left with lasting back pain. I use it every day at home and have never had a problem with hair damage from sitting. Despite two pregnancies and the resulting babies my hair is the longest it's ever been. I also dug my heels in with DS2 and refused induction. He arrived when he was good and ready and thanks to my balance ball came after a 2 hour drug free labour at home :)

endlessly
February 24th, 2015, 12:30 PM
I've gotten in the habit the last few years of just always pulling my hair over my shoulder before I sit down if my hair is down. Solves the problem.

Same.

My biggest issue with chairs versus my hair is that whenever I fidget, I never seem to realize I'm sitting on my hair until I'm yanked. I'm lucky that my chair doesn't cause massive damage since it's faux leather and doesn't have anywhere that my hair can catch, but I always pull it over my shoulder now...just to be on the safe side!

endlessly
February 24th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Same.

My biggest issue with chairs versus my hair is that whenever I fidget, I never seem to realize I'm sitting on my hair until I'm yanked. I'm lucky that my chair doesn't cause massive damage since it's faux leather and doesn't have anywhere that my hair can catch, but I always pull it over my shoulder now...just to be on the safe side!

Nightshade
February 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I swear by balance balls! I got one in 2011 when I was pregnant with DS1 to help get him in a good position for birth (total waste of time btw as i got railroaded into an induction when he clearly wasn't ready and still back-to-back - argh!) Anyway, it's so comfy and good for my back that I kept it. I've had an ectopic pregnancy and was left with lasting back pain. I use it every day at home and have never had a problem with hair damage from sitting. Despite two pregnancies and the resulting babies my hair is the longest it's ever been. I also dug my heels in with DS2 and refused induction. He arrived when he was good and ready and thanks to my balance ball came after a 2 hour drug free labour at home :)

I love mine, too! I've had one at work since April of 2011 and I love it. I got it to improve my posture (which it has), but not fretting about my hair against the back (though I rarely wear my hair down at work) is nice, too.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4t7LxZadnjI/UoZ1yNxLlOI/AAAAAAAAF58/qoLts0PWkbI/s640/New-Cube.jpg

gwenalyn
February 24th, 2015, 01:44 PM
If your hair is long enough, can you drape it over the back of the chair? That way it's not getting caught between your back and the chair back.

Nightshade
February 24th, 2015, 01:50 PM
If your hair is long enough, can you drape it over the back of the chair? That way it's not getting caught between your back and the chair back.

I've tried that and it generally ends with a cat hanging off it and me squawking for my husband for help! :lol: This tactic, however, may be valid if you don't have cats or toddlers.

Anje
February 24th, 2015, 06:35 PM
I've tried that and it generally ends with a cat hanging off it and me squawking for my husband for help! :lol: This tactic, however, may be valid if you don't have cats or toddlers.
I shouldn't laugh! :rollin:
That scene has repeated in my house a couple times.