PDA

View Full Version : Sweet things your spouse says?

afinemess
February 23rd, 2015, 03:52 PM
I got myself a Tangle Teezer today, and I've been running it through my hair constantly because it just feels so good. My husband randomly said to me, "When you hair gets down to your butt, I wanna help you brush it." I thought it was funny but also kinda sweet.

What sweet things does your significant other say about your hair/hair journey?

Colochita
February 23rd, 2015, 04:00 PM
My significant other is always very patient and accepts all the weird things I do with my hair.

That said, I usually wear my hair in protective styles (pinned up twists/rope braids), and when it's down it's a rare treat for both of us. Last night I decided I'm going to enjoy my hair when I go home for the summer and told him I planned to wear blown out braidouts the entire time. I did it for a portion of the last summer and we both loved it. He was thrilled and when I asked him if it was because I was changing my hair, he was quick to say: "Whatever you think is best for it, I'll love."

But it was definitely about my hair being out. :o

MoonlitWitch
February 23rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
My hubby loves my long hair and always complements me on it. He is the first person to comment on how long it is getting. :o

afinemess
February 23rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
Aww, how sweet! Colochita, yours sounds like mine, he won't ever tell me what specifically he likes, just "No matter what you do, it looks nice!"

MoonlitWitch, it's awesome when they notice things like that. I sometimes hear people complain that their husband doesn't notice anything they do, and I guess I'm lucky that mine is attentive!

jenrjen
February 23rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
My hubby knows I'm self-conscious about growing out my grays. At least once a month he tells me that he likes my gray hairs. (He's about 10 years younger than I, so it makes me feel better about looking even older than I am when I'm around him!)

And this isn't something he says, but does... He buys me hair toys for my b-day or Christmas. Glass hair sticks, wood hair sticks, Ficcares, Flexi's. He even told his aunt that I like hair toys and she got me a Flexi for Christmas.

He's a keeper!

Colochita
February 23rd, 2015, 04:38 PM
My hubby knows I'm self-conscious about growing out my grays. At least once a month he tells me that he likes my gray hairs. (He's about 10 years younger than I, so it makes me feel better about looking even older than I am when I'm around him!)

And this isn't something he says, but does... He buys me hair toys for my b-day or Christmas. Glass hair sticks, wood hair sticks, Ficcares, Flexi's. He even told his aunt that I like hair toys and she got me a Flexi for Christmas.

He's a keeper!

Hair toys as gifts definitely = keeper.

afinemess
February 23rd, 2015, 04:54 PM
Hair toys as gifts definitely = keeper.

I second this!

On a slightly different note, my dad (who rarely gives out compliments) just told me that my hair looks pretty. :blushing:

luvlonghair75
February 23rd, 2015, 04:55 PM
Ummm, mine tells me my hair products are too expensive or if my hair "stinks". Yeah, he's not one for complimenting on much. I just ignore it and do as I'm doing because it's my hair. He has mentioned though, that I if I cut it, it wouldn't bother him.... so if I want my hair "smelly" between washes, it shouldn't be his concern, right? lol

Lavendersugar
February 23rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
Hubby always says my hair is soft and smells good. He will often play with it at night before bed, just gently stroking it with his fingers.

afinemess
February 23rd, 2015, 05:03 PM
Hubby always says my hair is soft and smells good. He will often play with it at night before bed, just gently stroking it with his fingers.

Aww! Nothing feels so good as having your hair played with! :cloud9:

Angela_Rose
February 23rd, 2015, 05:23 PM
Giant Boyfriend loves to stroke my hair. We'll be curled up, watching some stupid movie, my head on his chest, and he puts his hand on my head and just lovingly... well, he kind of pats me, actually, but it feels really nice and i love it.

A while back, I asked him what he thought of the length, and he said as long as he's not tripping on it, he's fine with whatever length I want. He has, however, knelt on my braid, but I do that to myself sometimes, so it's okay.

Angela_Rose
February 23rd, 2015, 05:24 PM
Ummm, mine tells me my hair products are too expensive or if my hair "stinks". Yeah, he's not one for complimenting on much. I just ignore it and do as I'm doing because it's my hair. He has mentioned though, that I if I cut it, it wouldn't bother him.... so if I want my hair "smelly" between washes, it shouldn't be his concern, right? lol

Hey, at least he's comfortable being honest with you!!

hennalonghair
February 23rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
Hair toys as gifts definitely = keeper.yep. Keeper for sure!:thumbsup:

Nope!:nono: Chuck him! Lol(j/k)

jacqueline101
February 23rd, 2015, 09:36 PM
Charlie just stares at it and smiles. He knows the effort I've put into my hair and he has said it's getting long.

Stormynights
February 23rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
I met a lady at my doctors office that had gray waist length hair, I told her that her hair was beautiful and she was so flattered and was just going on and on about how she worked to take care of it. My husband kept interrupting her to tell her my hair was beautiful too and even longer than hers. She was very annoyed with him. I thought he was just a little rude but very sweet.

Alien Girl
February 23rd, 2015, 11:23 PM
When I feel bad about myself, he says that I have naturally beautiful hair and strokes it until I feel better. :)
My boyfriend treasures healthy and nice hair (his hair is longer than mine!) so it's such a sweet compliment.

Waverly
February 24th, 2015, 01:15 AM
My DH is a lovely, sweet and sensitive man - with a wicked sense of humour. His favourite thing to say about my hair is that it makes me look like Samara from 'The Ring' :mad:

Agnieszka
February 24th, 2015, 02:07 AM
He never liked my hair longer than bob unfortunately, well I'm growing it anyway...

Beckstar
February 24th, 2015, 04:38 AM
My silver is sexy!

afinemess
February 24th, 2015, 06:19 AM
My DH is a lovely, sweet and sensitive man - with a wicked sense of humour. His favourite thing to say about my hair is that it makes me look like Samara from 'The Ring' :mad:

That's funny, but really, Samara is awesome! :D

veryhairyfairy
February 24th, 2015, 07:07 AM
"I love your hair" (and many many variations of that)

*tugging on my braids in affection*
*forming shapes with my braids and commenting on how much easier it'll be when they're longer*

My Babi's the sweetest! :crush:

luvlonghair75
February 24th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Hey, at least he's comfortable being honest with you!!

LOL! I suppose there's a hint of sweetness in brutal honesty when you put it that way! Meh, I've accepted it a long time ago not to expect alot of compliments out of him for anything. My daughter, however, we compliment each other's hair all the time! :)

DreamSheep
February 24th, 2015, 08:08 AM
My boyfriend is not often super complimentary and doesn't stroke my hair much but:

He does say he likes my hair long and not to cut it
He generally notices new toys and hairstyles and says they look really elegant and nice

*ReiKa*
February 24th, 2015, 08:18 AM
"Your hair is starting to get very long now!!"
And that's all, lol. My boyfriend doesn't really *care* about my hair, I mean, he's not that interested. He likes long hair better than short and mid-lenght, but yeah, that's basically all.

Queentamora
February 24th, 2015, 09:15 AM
My partner said the other day when I was releasing my hair from a top knot that he really loved it when my hair was 'out' and that I looked like Tina Turner. Not what i was going for but whatever makes him happy!

FuzzyBlackWaves
February 24th, 2015, 09:26 AM
My partner says my hair is 'long, flowing and beautiful' :o Plus he always does this awesome expression when I take it down from the usual bun or braid.

Marbid
February 24th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Dh does not compliment my hair. But he listens when i talk about hair stuff. And he knows my hair toys and mentions when one seems breakable when i buy them. And he spreads hair information to his female coworkers when they talk about hair (thats how i found out he was listening to my endless hair chatter ) but he really does not out any input into the hair itself...

But he hates the sleeep cap...

But he does all the length measuring...

But he threatens me with wetting my hair when i am annoying him... ( i hate wetting my hair outside of wash day because my hair will loose its bun wave and it will curl and frizz and tangle and just be ikky. So i have to wash it and it kills my schedule and its just a huge hastle )

Kendrix
February 24th, 2015, 01:10 PM
My boyfriend loves my hair. He always comments about how long it is and he mentioned liking it before dating me. Apparently he finds long hair sexy and prefers it over shorter hair. He likes to touch it and does so gently, which I like. We are long distance for now though, so when we do Skype, he notices the changes even more.

librarychick
February 24th, 2015, 01:37 PM
My SO isn't one for direct compliments very often...but he does notice things and will stick up for me if needed - I think I like that better.

As an example, we were having dinner with my family and one of my sisters (who has a super short and very trendy curly-bob) said she didn't know what the point of having long hair was if it was always up. We were having a conversation about haircuts and I'm the only one with long hair...she was sort of teasing, but not entirely. Before I could pipe up and say anything my SO jumps in and says "If she wears it down it takes forever to untangle, besides, she wears it down sometimes." That last bit was a bit of a fib since it's nearly always up or braided and he's pretty much the only one who sees it down on a regular basis, but him sticking up for me was awesome :)

The other thing he does that I love is pay attention to what I'm doing, even if I don't talk about it. He noticed I wasn't wetting or washing my hair nearly as much, despite me not having told him. A few months into my new routine he came across an article about how washing too often is bad for your body/hair. The article also had some comments from people who thought if you didn't wash everyday you were gross. He saved the article to read for me and added his own comment that as long as what you're doing works for you he doesn't know why anyone else would be bothered.

He does love my hair long though, and I catch him looking at me when I leave it down ;) When I cut it 7 years ago he was SO upset he didn't speak to me for a day! To be fair, I did it on a complete whim myself when I was home alone, and I went from just under my bra-strap to just above my chin! It was a pretty big shock for both of us, lol. I'd never had hair that short before and he'd had no warning.

He does the same thing with the health/care of our kitties, happily and correctly (IMO, lol) answering any questions about how/why we care for them the way we do exactly as I would - despite not having done any reading on the topics himself! It's pretty gratifying to know he listens to my rants and trusts me to the level of standing up for my weirdness to his friends and the world in general. :)

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2015, 02:34 AM
I don't know if this counts or not a new co worker seen my hair down and commented it looked nice. She was like it's healthy and she didn't know it was this long.

Calypso
February 25th, 2015, 07:12 AM
My boyfriend does compliment me, but never on specific things like my hair or clothes. His ex girlfriend was pretty horrible and they had a messy breakup, and she told him later that she changed her appearance before they got together because she knew he didn't really like 'alternative' looks, (she had fake dreads and lots of piercings, etc) and made out that he had forced her to change. I think that's made him really paranoid when talking about hair and clothes and things in case I change my appearance for his sake. I suppose it's kind of sweet, but it can be infuriating when I want a genuine opinion! I ask him if he prefers my hair long or short, up or down, etc, and he says he doesn't mind, or that I always look nice regardless. I think he likes my hair long, though... I hope so! :P

HintOfMint
February 25th, 2015, 11:34 AM
My boyfriend does compliment me, but never on specific things like my hair or clothes. His ex girlfriend was pretty horrible and they had a messy breakup, and she told him later that she changed her appearance before they got together because she knew he didn't really like 'alternative' looks, (she had fake dreads and lots of piercings, etc) and made out that he had forced her to change. I think that's made him really paranoid when talking about hair and clothes and things in case I change my appearance for his sake. I suppose it's kind of sweet, but it can be infuriating when I want a genuine opinion! I ask him if he prefers my hair long or short, up or down, etc, and he says he doesn't mind, or that I always look nice regardless. I think he likes my hair long, though... I hope so! :P

Aw! It's sweet and good of him to take that to heart, but I can see how it's infuriating. My SO straight up does not tell me what he would like me to wear, whether I should wear makeup, or how to have my hair. He's admitted that he doesn't believe he should tell his SO how to look. He thinks it's inappropriate and controlling. Meanwhile, I'm here screaming "I WANT TO LOOK PRETTY FOR YOU ADVISE PLS."

Although he has complimented me on a hairstyle once. He really loves my hair in french pigtails. He said he could be really upset with me and then I'll show up in that hairstyle and he forgets entirely why he's mad at me. (I'm late all the time, it's a conspiracy I swear). It's a little stereotypical for him to like pigtails, but y'know, I'll take it.

Calypso
February 25th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Aww, that's cute! I'd love to know what hairstyles my boyfriend likes, but I don't think he even notices much. :P

Nettyx
February 25th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Mine says he has always liked my hair because it is shiny and smells of fruit. Weirdly I never knew he liked my hair til yesterday and we have been married 11 years!

Alien Girl
February 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Last night when I was washing my face and had a hair band on, my BF said he liked my hairline. LOL it was random but funny. ;)

Beckstar
February 25th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah, the other day he said my silvers were worth their weight in gold. :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
March 4th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I attempted hair taping yesterday, and DH said I had princess hair :crush: (even though my stitching was rather uneven, and I really need a few more inches of hair for it to work properly).

Angela_Rose
March 4th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah, the other day he said my silvers were worth their weight in gold. :)

We have a winner. That's the sweetest thing ever.

Breanna
March 4th, 2015, 09:48 AM
This thread is so cute! I'm always sending victorious hair pictures to my boyfriend when my hair is being particularly good and he's always quick to say "it's so long and shiny" or when we go out and I'm messing with it or something he'll sit and watch and say something like "It's getting soooo long". He says my current length is perfect but I want to go a little longer, and he says that'll be perfect too.

lillithnight
March 4th, 2015, 01:06 PM
My girlfriend tells me my hair smells good, that it looks nice etc. But the sweetest thing is that she will go with me and help pick out hair products.

KellyZoe
March 6th, 2015, 10:57 AM
My boyfriend tells me he can't see my gray hairs. Sometimes he also compliments my braids, and tells me I'm getting much better at it. Which is great, because I'm still trying to conquer the french braid well enough to be seen in public with it.

MINAKO
March 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
SO is a rather vain person, not that he's standing in fromt of a mirror all day, but kind of has a high standard routine for a guy. So he's encouraging the same thing in me. If i see a toy, or show imterest in a product he tells me to buy it or gets it for me. He appreciates the fact that im more obsessed with preserving my hair, rather then changing it every few weeks and likes to joke around, that i am only allowed to wear my hair down when he is with me, to not encourage alot of guys to try and hit on me. But actually i am nothing like that anyways. I woud even go as far as wearing my grandma glasses and make my skin look extra oily on a day when i want to be left alone, hehe.

kitschy
March 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I've gained 30 pound post menopause. The other day, as my husband gave me a hug he said, "it's a good thing I have long arms."

Now, isn't that precious?

nitagurl
March 6th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I like how he looks at me like I'm crazy whenever I go on my regular rant about how short my hair still is (currently BSL). He'll just grab a handful, stand behind me, and give me a kiss on the cheek. :p

afinemess
March 7th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Today at the grocery store, I was looking at various coconut oils and trying to decide which one I wanted to get, and my husband grabbed a bottle and looked at the back of it. He goes, "This one says it's great for stir-frying. Do you want to stir-fry your hair?' I got the giggles so hard. He cracks me up sometimes. :P

Eastbound&Down
March 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM
My husband isn't really a complimentary kind of person, but that makes the times he does even better :) he tried to talk me out of dying my hair the other day "because I don't want you to ruin your progress, you've worked so hard". Honestly before that I wasn't sure he even cared about me growing out my hair.

Chocowalnut
March 8th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Today at the grocery store, I was looking at various coconut oils and trying to decide which one I wanted to get, and my husband grabbed a bottle and looked at the back of it. He goes, "This one says it's great for stir-frying. Do you want to stir-fry your hair?' I got the giggles so hard. He cracks me up sometimes. :P

Lol that is so cute. Sounds like something mine would say

Springs10808
March 8th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I've been a lot more vocal about my thoughts regarding my hair in the past few months, as compared to usual, because of joining this website and working actively toward finding a routine that gives my hair the straight look I love while still actually managing net growth. I think it was worrying the boyfriend for a while, though, because of how many comments I'd make regarding what I hated about my hair while I worked toward developing a routine. He didn't seem to understand that what I was experiencing was positive (working to transform something I don't like about myself) and thought I was just being down on myself all the time, so one day, he actually grabbed me by the shoulders, told me my hair looked straight and beautiful, and hugged me. It made me tear up a little just because of how sweet it was.

Lauraes
March 10th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Even though I really hate my natural hair color, my boyfriend said he really likes it, which makes me feel a little better about letting it grow out. :)

afinemess
March 15th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Sometimes my husband talks to me in the voice of my pets. Today, I went to trim my cat's claws and he said (as the cat), "No Mommy, don't cut them! I'm a member of the Long Claw Community!":rolling:

Tetragonity
March 17th, 2015, 02:23 AM
When I brush my hair for the evening, my boyfriend often calls me Rapunzel. :-) Lately, he's started playing with my plait when I have one, tickling my face with the end of it.