PDA

View Full Version : Do you massage your scalp?

3 Cat Night
February 23rd, 2015, 03:14 PM
I've started to. It feels so good and I'd like to believe that it will help my hair grow. But a few hairs always fall out when I do. And I'm afraid the friction will damage the hair. What do you think? Will massaging my scalp cause damage and make hair fall out?

Madora
February 23rd, 2015, 03:18 PM
Provided you massage gently (and detangle before and after you massage), I don't see why doing it would be harmful. Massage is a great way to stimulate your scalp gently to encourage those hair follicles to wake up and start producing hair). I few random hairs from fallout isn't harmful.

MoonlitWitch
February 23rd, 2015, 03:24 PM
I do when I remember to, its great for your scalp but I do it gently. I find that the hairs that fall out were about to fall themselves anyway.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM
My hair gets shampood weekly, and that's when my scalp gets "massaged". IMO that's more than enough.

endlessly
February 23rd, 2015, 03:40 PM
If you're being very gentle, I think a scalp massage is extremely beneficial. I tend to give myself a mini massage in the tub when I'm able to fully submerge my hair since I tend to not stress any strands that way and it's very relaxing...especially after a particularly stressful day! But again, you have to be gentle otherwise you will cause some damage.

lapis_lazuli
February 23rd, 2015, 04:01 PM
I massage my scalp often and do it while inverting my head once and a while. I find it's very helpful for hair growth not to mention relaxing! :)

Imalath
February 23rd, 2015, 04:13 PM
I give my scalp a quick scritch every time I let my hair down from a bun or braid before detangling and restyling. It only takes a second or two and feels so good. The only time I set out to actively massage my scalp is when I wash it. In my accupressure phase I spent a lot of time feeling around on my scalp for sore points, and an even longer time detangling afterwards.

Don't worry too much about losing a few hairs when you massage your scalp; they probably would have come out on their own in a few days anyway.

luvlonghair75
February 23rd, 2015, 04:39 PM
Yep! I massage my scalp every chance I get! Almost every day when I have the extra energy. :)

Lavendersugar
February 23rd, 2015, 04:54 PM
It encourages blood flow which is a good thing.

Hair sheds and you want it to shed. The leading cause of hair thinning is hair not going through normal cycles and shedding for regrowth. This of course is for normal shedding.

I massage often. Feels nice. Also try to do when I shampoo. Not really doing it for growth but more for relaxation.

hennalonghair
February 23rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
You bet!......

jacqueline101
February 23rd, 2015, 09:49 PM
I massage my scalp on wash day bent at the waist as others have stated detangle first. I do this for a few minutes.

Larki
February 23rd, 2015, 10:37 PM
My hair gets shampood weekly, and that's when my scalp gets "massaged". IMO that's more than enough.

Same, except that I wash 2-3 times a week. I guess you could also say that it gets a massage when I'm rubbing in my dry shampoo.

Nadine <3
February 23rd, 2015, 10:44 PM
Meh...It feels great but I am forgetful. I do it when I let down a braid or bun sometimes and when I shampoo but that's it.

M.McDonough
February 23rd, 2015, 11:54 PM
Mom uses something like this and I do too :)
http://i.imgur.com/GNhHLhL.jpg

truepeacenik
February 24th, 2015, 12:12 AM
I massage my scalp methodically three times a week or so.
I scritch upon "freeing it from its bonds of labor." Or when I take down the slightly tighter work bun.

Massage is slower, involves moving the occipitals and frontalis muscles and the skin of the scalp.
Scrtitching is faster and is focused on just the skin and hair follicles. Both increase blood flow and oxygen exchange and nutrient metabolism.

rina06
February 24th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Im rubbing coconut and castor oil together and massaging my scalp 2-3 times a week before washes for about 5 minutes.
I dont like scalp massages without the oils oddly.

Wosie
February 24th, 2015, 04:22 AM
M.McDonough, I love those, but my hair gets extremely tangled afterwards. :p

---

I wish I could massage my head, but my scalp is too sensitive and always start itching if I do. I try to avoid touching it as much as I possibly can, but during wash days (every ~4 days or so) I massage it gently for a minute or two when I apply Head & Shoulders.