PDA

View Full Version : Hair knox for synchronised swimming

stachelbeere
February 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojtnnw3iZQ) which shows how to 'knox' ones hair for synchronised swimming. It's pretty fascinating to watch the process and what the result is. It could also be a way to protect ones hair from chlorinated water while swimming? Although apparently it's difficult to wash off and one has to use hot water. I had no idea this existed and thought I'd share it here :)

meteor
February 22nd, 2015, 05:22 PM
This is great! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing! :D I've seen this video before and it made me comfortable using a lot more gelatin in my DIY protein treatments, since synchronised swimmers make a very thick mix without any complaints about protein overload.

I think it's great for those times when you have to swim without a swim cap... But ideally, a swim cap is still pretty useful. Would this work under swim cap? I don't know. But I hope we have some synchronised swimmers on the LHC who know. :flower:

Vanilla
February 22nd, 2015, 05:31 PM
This is fascinating! I watched the video, but I read somewhere that the removal involves a lot of hot water and picking out all of the gelatin (which is probably damaging).

meteor
February 22nd, 2015, 05:36 PM
Oh, by the way, does anybody know why they said the bun has to be placed 5 fingers above the hairline for this (from around 1:00)? Is that an aesthetic thing for synchronized swimming? :hmm:

Larki
February 22nd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Oh, by the way, does anybody know why they said the bun has to be placed 5 fingers above the hairline for this (from around 1:00)? Is that an aesthetic thing for synchronized swimming? :hmm:

Yeah, I think it's some kind of rule.

Quasiquixotic
February 22nd, 2015, 06:15 PM
aerodynamics?

How do you wash this out of your hair? Do you think it's good for your hair? I don't know, just curious.

Colochita
February 22nd, 2015, 06:57 PM
I saw this video a while back, but it looked scary to me. I use Knox for gelatin protein treatments, but can't imagine painting my head in it. shudder:

stachelbeere
February 23rd, 2015, 02:28 AM
yes meteor! I got to this video through one of the blogs you linked! thank you for that :D

I remember reading that when you do a gelatin treatment you shouldn't let the gelatin dry in your hair - now I see why. I think maybe a hot wet towel would be less damaging and would melt some of the gelatin? Or... a plastic cap and melt it slowly with a hairdryer.

and the 5 finger bun height question is interesting - aerodynamics might be it as well as comfort? my bun is usually at that height (5 fingers) and it's placed right at the crown of my head and it's the most comfortable place for a bun for me :)

meteor
February 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
yes meteor! I got to this video through one of the blogs you linked! thank you for that :D

I remember reading that when you do a gelatin treatment you shouldn't let the gelatin dry in your hair - now I see why. I think maybe a hot wet towel would be less damaging and would melt some of the gelatin? Or... a plastic cap and melt it slowly with a hairdryer.

Thanks a lot, stachelbeere! :D
I'm curious about why they said we shouldn't let the gelatin dry in hair... :hmm: If anybody knows, please share! :flower: I know we shouldn't manipulate hair once the protein has dried (it gets crunchy and hard), but I didn't know it's not good to let it dry in hair.
I even read that for the best, strongest protein treatment packs (for damaged hair), it's best to let hair dry with protein, and even use blow-dryer! :confused:
Here are some linkies:

Science-y Hair Blog:
"Blow-dry for extra strong protein treatment. Apply the gelatin gel and blow dry your hair on medium to high heat until dry (don't bend it - it will be crunchy and solid). Then rinse and don't touch until your hair is less hard. If your hair is snapping off due to things like swimming or chemical-treatment damage, this method may be perfect for you!"
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
And video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waiZ6-sT5ow

Aphogee 2-Step Protein Reconstructor (for professional use):
"Apply enough ApHogee Treatment to thoroughly saturate hair and comb blend for even distribution. Leave hair uncovered. Do not use a plastic cap, and seat client under medium heat dryer. (Alternatively, a hand dryer may be used, but hair should not be agitated while drying.)
Requires heat for best results. When protein has dried, do not bend or agitate hair. Always rinse thoroughly with luke warm water and follow with Balancing Moisturizer.
Note: When ApHogee Treatment is dried into the hair, the hair becomes extremely hard. Do not comb or brush hair while ApHOGEE Treatment is dried and in the hair. Re-wet and gently rinse thoroughly with warm water."
http://www.sallybeauty.com/protein-hair-treatment/APHOGE4,default,pd.html