PDA

View Full Version : Leaving hair out

Hairkay
February 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
I was talking to a friend today and she mentioned that I never wear my hair out these days. I used to wear it that way in my late teens and my 20s. I told her that I did have it loose when I took my nephew to a birthday party when he was 13. She asked how old this nephew is now. He's going to be 18 pretty soon. My how times flies.:blushing: I tend to leave my hair tied back in one or in two flat twist a bit like French braid style. I've changed it up this year and put it into little plaits/braids.

How often do you wear your hair out?

Pinni
February 22nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
I wear it out most of the time. It is easiest I think. Maybe it is easiest the way you are used to?

Clarkie
February 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
I usually wear my hair down once a week on the day after I wash it, plop it and go to bed.

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
I love wearing my hair down but since I live in a very windy climate it's not possible to do that very often. When I d wear it down, I pick a non windy day and I always wash it that morning. I also try to pick a special occasion such as lunch and shopping with friends. Otherwise it's always up or in a pony or single braid.

lapis_lazuli
February 22nd, 2015, 11:09 AM
Probably every other day. When it's not out, I have it plaited or in a fishtail :p

Madora
February 22nd, 2015, 11:17 AM
The only time it is out is when I'm brushing it.

ShDiHa
February 22nd, 2015, 11:20 AM
I wear my hair down most days, have to wear it up under a hat for work.

Hootenanny
February 22nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
I never leave mine out anymore, it annoys me too much and I'm just starting to get to a length where it seems semi-dangerous (it could get caught in a door, catch on fire at the stove, etc.). The upside of never wearing it out is that I can shock people when I take down my bun (even though I'm only at waist), since they have no idea how long it is. My MIL let out a gasp when she saw me redoing my bun. :lol:

raemarthe
February 22nd, 2015, 12:20 PM
My hair is down a lot. It's only at APL and I love having it down :)

MsVenus
February 22nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
i used to wear my hair down everyday. Now, I have it in a french braid paranda, pigtail parandas or a bun almost 100% of the time unless I am applying treatments or rebraiding.

Colochita
February 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
It depends on where I am. If I'm in Minnesota, very rarely. Perhaps once every two months for a few hours.

If I'm in the Bahamas (usually in the summer) it can be down for a week at a time if I feel like it.

My hair is up 85-90% of the time, though.

Arien
February 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
I do a bit of both really. When my hair was longer is used to wear it down a lot but on the other hand I could put it up in a lot of different ways. Now my hair is shorter I cannot do so much with it (in fact I was getting increasing annoyed with this fact this morning). I can french plait it or put up using two ponytails or buns. I can't get away with one because my layers keep falling out. It's a really nice cut & it is growing out well so it looks great loose but my hair also gets more oily at this length so I either have to wash it a lot or put it up out of the way from the second day onwards...

endlessly
February 22nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
I never really think about how rarely I wear my hair loose anymore, I'm just so used to having to keep it up and out of the way. Mostly at night after I shower, I have a tendency of wearing it down for a bit or if I'm just sitting and reading, but otherwise, it's always up in some sort of style to keep it safe. The last time I left my house with it loose was a huge mistake (maybe one year or so ago?), so I know I will never do that again! Too many people see long hair and absolutely have to touch it without asking my permission, it's so much safer being worn up.

gwenalyn
February 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
I leave it down for a day or two after wash day. I like it down. Unfortunately the recent ombre I got to help grow out dye has too harsh of a line, so I need to curl it or do a half-up to look decent. Ech.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2015, 01:33 PM
Every 7th day (Sunday), on wash day (and when dry it's in a half-up). The rest of the week, it's up in a LWB. That's how it's been ever since I got to waist length. Before that it was the same except it was up in a peacock twist almost 24/7 instead.

meteor
February 22nd, 2015, 01:44 PM
The only time my hair is down at this length is during washing or grooming.
I constantly get comments that I should wear it down and what's the point of long hair if it's always up and such and yeah, it does get boring keeping it up all the time, but it's also so comfy, convenient and so great for reducing tangles... I'm not good at styling my hair in really complex updos and my hair is not cooperating, usually, so it means that I only wear about 3 styles regularly, he-he. :lol: Gets boring, for sure! :yawn:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
My hair is up 98% of the time. That way it gets to surprise me when I do wear it down and see how long it has grown when I wasn't looking:p

pixldust
February 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
I never wear my hair down when I'm out of the house. My ends tangle as soon as you look at them and last time I wore my hair in a ponytail....aaarrhh, the knots! It took ages to detangle. Once the damaged sections are grown out I'd probably wear it down occasionally as I shouldn't have such a big tangle problem. I'm used to my hair being up so I'm not really bothered about not being able to comfortably wear it down at the moment.

hannabiss
February 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
my hairs still short and has many layers its down alot. i need to keep it up more. but i think ill always wear it down at least one day a week.

CremeTron
February 22nd, 2015, 03:40 PM
Every day on days I do not need to wear a coat. A pony when I do.

bonbon58
February 22nd, 2015, 07:15 PM
I hope to be able to leave it out more as the weather gets warmer. Having to bun up every day is kind of straining for my scalp. But, of course, protecting hair is #1 priority so...:p

Anje
February 22nd, 2015, 07:28 PM
I let mine down in the evenings after dinner fairly often. It's sort of my "I can relax" thing. It goes back up if there's food involved (it was ingrained upon me fairly young that my hair needed to be restrained when cooking or eating).

Some days I'll unclip it at school too, if I'm in my office and it's pulling or I've got a headache. Again, it goes back up if there's anything more active needing done than working at the computer, and having it up in the lab is non-optional.

MoonlitWitch
February 22nd, 2015, 07:29 PM
My hair is always up except for when i ma brushing it and the extremely rare occasion that I wear a half up. I am pretty strict about protecting my hair as I am going out a lot of old bleach damage.

moontree
February 22nd, 2015, 09:16 PM
It's a relaxing thing for me too... at work or school it us up 95% of the time (100% of the time for work). When I'm at home I will usually take it down, and sometimes if I am having a spectacular hair day with it down I'll go out with it like that or in a half-up... but I only have APL hair, I have the feeling my habits will change a bit the longer my hair gets.

yahirwaO.o
February 22nd, 2015, 09:30 PM
Down whenever I get the chance which is like 70% of time, its only up if im cooking or cleaning... This week I declutter my room from Wednesday till today, It stayed up in a multiple dutch braided updo these days in which I keep cleaning and cleaning. Washing in two days after a plan trim and its going to be down and all glory again YAY!!

Creagan
February 23rd, 2015, 02:34 AM
I almost exclusively wear my hair down, unless I'm doing something outside and it's windy. In that case I braid it and wear a headband.

Juanita
February 23rd, 2015, 03:20 AM
Worn up or braided 95% of the time. This time of the year it's either too hot and humid or just too hot to be worn down. Sometimes worn down in air conditioning.

vega
February 23rd, 2015, 03:50 AM
My hair is down always never up at all

Arctic
February 23rd, 2015, 05:08 AM
My hair is a long bob now, and I have started to wear it up or braided more and more, probably over 50% of the time, now that I can finally do different hair styles. But when it didn't reach for a bun yet, I mostly wore it out (or partially braided, like braided the bangs area, etc). I still wear it out regularly, especially if it's a cold day and I need to wear hat. But when I'm at home I prefere it contained, I don't like having hair on my face! Also having it contained at home means my dog will eat less of my hairs, and that is a Good Thing (and probably TMI as well, lol!)!

YvetteVarie
February 24th, 2015, 01:31 AM
My hair is almost always up. In cornrows, braids, buns. I only wear it down when I'm washing it loose.

animetor7
February 24th, 2015, 01:48 AM
I usually wear mine up. But on days when I don't have class and therefore don't have to wear a backpack, I'll wear it down, otherwise it's just too obnoxious.

leilani
February 24th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I was a little confused as to what this thread was going to be about! Is it a UK thing to say "leaving hair out"? Sounds like leaving it outside on the porch to get rained on!

I wear my hair down exclusively unless I'm sweaty or doing gross housework, and then it goes up for awhile until I cool off.

I even started a club for us! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127190

RainbowBowser
February 24th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I wear it up mostly when I know I'm going to be in a risky tangle situation.
Such as wearing my winter coat, being outside (especially in the cold), and anytime my hair is especially gross (anytime after day 3 hair).
I leave it down in class if I feel like it and when I'm lounging in the house.

Arctic
February 24th, 2015, 05:50 AM
I was a little confused as to what this thread was going to be about! Is it a UK thing to say "leaving hair out"? Sounds like leaving it outside on the porch to get rained on!

It's curly hair semantics, but means the same as when straigter hair types leave their hair down. Curly hair often doesn't hang down but grows up and out, thus curlies leave their hair out.

Hairkay
February 24th, 2015, 08:19 AM
It's curly hair semantics, but means the same as when straigter hair types leave their hair down. Curly hair often doesn't hang down but grows up and out, thus curlies leave their hair out.

What she said ^^

thankyousir74
February 24th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Maybe once a week by aethestic choice... and once a week again while my hair airdries