PDA

View Full Version : An open letter

kganihanova
February 21st, 2015, 06:46 PM
Dear women with thin fine hair,

Please know that I am secretly jealous of you. Your hair is so silky and shiny and pretty. I love how angelic it looks. I love how cute your braids are, how delicate your buns look. You can pull of hairstyles I can't at shorter lengths. You can do all sorts of buns at shorter lengths than me. I'm so jealous of that.

Please love and cherish and appreciate your fabulous silky angel hair because there are so many good qualities to it.

Love,
A distant admirer

Quasiquixotic
February 21st, 2015, 06:57 PM
:applause: :agree: :thumbsup:

mz_butterfly
February 21st, 2015, 07:07 PM
Open letter response:

Dear thin fine haired admirer:

Fine hair isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's difficult to separate to get into a braid that looks good enough to pass muster to show in public. Thin / Fine hair goes flat if not washed frequently and using conditioner is a no no. Thin / fine hair shows a good bit of scalp cleavage and is depressing. Lank, greasy, cleavage filled locks aren't attractive.

Gathering my dime sized bun is sad. I want a bun that is the size of a Grapefruit but I will settle for a tangerine.

I must confess that I am envious of any hair that is not thin or fine. I long for puffiness and volume. I long for untamed wildness. What you call Angelic, I call hellish.

I long to need multiple bottles of conditioner and oils per month. I would gladly spend my life savings on salon product shipments if my hair didn't look like a wet rodent 90 percent of the time.

The grass is always greener. I too long for the other side.

Sincerely, Flat-head

Wildcat Diva
February 21st, 2015, 07:21 PM
Awwwwww! (Characters)

slynr
February 21st, 2015, 07:26 PM
Very wonderful sentiment and a reminder for us all to appreciate the beauty we have in our own selves.

Arctic
February 21st, 2015, 07:35 PM
I like the fine and thinner hair type the most appealing and beautiful. As someone who used to have a hair like that, and loved it, and whose hair is now coarser, I really miss the hair I had. I have learned to appreciate my "new" hair type too, but it took a long time. I'd change it back to my old hair in a heartbeat, if it would be possible.

Nadine <3
February 21st, 2015, 07:40 PM
*blushes*

Awww! As a finey, I really needed to hear this! Thank you :)

lapis_lazuli
February 21st, 2015, 08:10 PM
Agree! I've always admired people with thin, shiny hair. I think it is very beautiful :flowers:

Stormynights
February 21st, 2015, 08:46 PM
I think we just don't appreciate what we have. I always hated my stringy gray hair until Hele pressured me to post a picture. I did like gray hair, I just didn't like mine. We just need to love what is on our own head.

hippie girl
February 21st, 2015, 09:13 PM
How nice to hear! Thanks, kganihanova! :)

jeanniet
February 21st, 2015, 10:38 PM
Open letter response:

Dear thin fine haired admirer:

Fine hair isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's difficult to separate to get into a braid that looks good enough to pass muster to show in public. Thin / Fine hair goes flat if not washed frequently and using conditioner is a no no. Thin / fine hair shows a good bit of scalp cleavage and is depressing. Lank, greasy, cleavage filled locks aren't attractive.

Gathering my dime sized bun is sad. I want a bun that is the size of a Grapefruit but I will settle for a tangerine.

I must confess that I am envious of any hair that is not thin or fine. I long for puffiness and volume. I long for untamed wildness. What you call Angelic, I call hellish.

I long to need multiple bottles of conditioner and oils per month. I would gladly spend my life savings on salon product shipments if my hair didn't look like a wet rodent 90 percent of the time.

The grass is always greener. I too long for the other side.

Sincerely, Flat-head

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think scalp cleavage is necessarily a by-product of thin hair. I have a 5" pony, but because of cowlicks I have scalp cleavage and it's quite annoying. You can see a bit of it in my sig pic. I try to arrange my hair to cover it, but it tends to settle back over time.

I do think fine, thin hair is lovely.

Hopeful65
February 22nd, 2015, 12:19 AM
It makes me feel good to hear that someone admires fine thin hair. I've spent basically my whole life feeling not good about it. In early childhood I had to have the pixie or bowl cut because my hair was 'too thin' for anything else. I hated it. As a teenager and into my adult years I kept it permed. Many other things were done in an effort to achieve fullness. It wasn't until I found LHC that I figured out that my hair was pretty. And the longer it gets, the better I'm liking it. If anyone is feeling self conscious of their hair, I suggest looking around on the internet for inspiration. I now think long fine hair is pretty. I'm actually the happiest I've ever been with my hair.

Thank you kganihanova for the kind and inspirational words. :)

mindwiped
February 22nd, 2015, 01:49 AM
This was lovely, especially seeing both sides of the story. As an opinion, just because it's fine and thin, it might not be sleek. Since I'm a curly/wurley I have to keep it longer, just to get enough weight to hold down the hair. I wanted a page boy cut in middle school, got the, did you stick your finger in an wall outlet?

My personal opinion, everyone wants whatever they don't have. The straight haired want curls, the curlies want straight, ave it's the same swap with thickness, both total amount and the thickness of each strand.

MINAKO
February 22nd, 2015, 02:11 AM
honestly, any hair looks good to me that is healthy and has a certain length. of course i am used to the amount that is naturally given to me and thats what im comfortable with, but so should anyone on the thinner/finer side be. most of us have to throw some effort in to get our hair picture ready presentable and i dont think it matters so much if that means coming from limp with scalp cleavave or a huge frizzy broom.
i always enjoy the fruits of my labor and finding out what works best. if i was just blessed with the perfect hair i wouldnt need to do anything for, who knows if i could even appreciate it.

Agnieszka
February 22nd, 2015, 05:41 AM
Thank you! I started calling them silky and precious instead of hating them. I did change a lot last couple of years and I really targeted my jealousy feelings, I just wanted to stop being jealous of anything. When I see some person with for example stunning, luxurious mane I say to myself God made her like this for a reason, please God give her even better hair and please improve mine.

CremeTron
February 22nd, 2015, 06:08 AM
Aww how sweet of you! I do get compliments on the texture and quality of my hair and I am embracing it more and more. It is not apparent in photos but close up my hair strands are silky and delicate looking. Every hair type is beautiful and I am thankful to love mine.

And Mz_Butterfly, I love that you signed off- 'flat head'. I use a knitting needle to gently tease my hair everyday as I have the flat head syndrome too.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2015, 06:19 AM
Dear fine hair admirer,

Life isn't all it's cracked up to be. My hair is flat and I have to braid use braid waves for volume. That can be a chore as hair gets longer. I can stretch washed for a week and use conditioner. I use leave in conditioner. My hair uses very little of these products I can 6 plus months out of a 4 ounce bottle of leave ins.

Shine my hair is dull at times even with my cone shine serum. I don't see how that can make you jealous. Then there is hair dos my hair is at the stage with it's thickness it's too thick and too short for certain hair dos.

Growth lets don't go there mine grows slow impart to fine fragile hair breaks so you have to trim and that takes your growth. Buns look small like something an infant would wear.

monaaa75
February 22nd, 2015, 06:23 AM
Angelic look, yeah I wish. For someone with big wide square face fine thin hair doesnt look that good anymore ;)

ravenheather
February 22nd, 2015, 06:31 AM
This is a nice reminder to look at the positives, no matter what your hair type.

StellaKatherine
February 22nd, 2015, 06:35 AM
Thin and fine hair not aways look silky and shiny... Most of my hair is fine in texture , but there is no way it look silky and never will :D

gwenalyn
February 22nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
Thin and fine hair not aways look silky and shiny... Most of my hair is fine in texture , but there is no way it look silky and never will :D

But your profile pic looks so shiny and silky!

lapushka
February 22nd, 2015, 02:38 PM
We want what we don't have, don't we? :lol: It's the same story over and over again. Thick hair definitely has its disadvantages, but it has its good qualities as well, as I'm sure that goes for *every* hairtype. :flower:

Sterlyn
February 22nd, 2015, 02:42 PM
:rollin: :rollin:

This thread cracks me up, and at the same time is very sweet :flower:

When I was an adolescent/young adult, I longed for thick curly/wavy hair. It was the 80's and volume and massive curl was in. I had fine, stick straight, stuck to my head hair, it was shiny and sleek and I hated it. Perms produced a pathetic wave for 2 weeks and then literally just vanished from my hair. I longed for Farrah Fawcetts lovely waves and all I could out of my hair with hot tools and styling products was a sad looking turd roll that was practically nonexistent by lunchtime.

I laugh when I think of those days now, but have finally learned to appreciate my hair texture, which ironically enough now does have some wave and texture since it's gone gray. My hair isn't nearly as sleek anymore and I battle frizz more than when I was younger, but I have been making a conscious effort to love the hair on my own head more than I have in the past.

kganihanova That was really sweet. *hugs

mz_butterfly your post made me LOL because I understand exactly what you mean.

luvlonghair75
February 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the sweet post, kganihanova! I do appreciate hair that I do have even though I often long for just a bit thicker hair and am often googling on how to make that happen. :)

jeanniet
February 22nd, 2015, 03:09 PM
:rollin: :rollin:

This thread cracks me up, and at the same time is very sweet :flower:

When I was an adolescent/young adult, I longed for thick curly/wavy hair. It was the 80's and volume and massive curl was in. I had fine, stick straight, stuck to my head hair, it was shiny and sleek and I hated it. Perms produced a pathetic wave for 2 weeks and then literally just vanished from my hair. I longed for Farrah Fawcetts lovely waves and all I could out of my hair with hot tools and styling products was a sad looking turd roll that was practically nonexistent by lunchtime.

I laugh when I think of those days now, but have finally learned to appreciate my hair texture, which ironically enough now does have some wave and texture since it's gone gray. My hair isn't nearly as sleek anymore and I battle frizz more than when I was younger, but I have been making a conscious effort to love the hair on my own head more than I have in the past.

kganihanova That was really sweet. *hugs

mz_butterfly your post made me LOL because I understand exactly what you mean.

Your post cracks me up because I was an adolescent in the 70s, and it was the exact opposite! Everyone seemed to have fine, straight, thin, silky hair and I had a bushy, thick, mess of Indian hair. That's really when my secret envy of 1a/F/i hair began.

Sterlyn
February 22nd, 2015, 04:54 PM
Your post cracks me up because I was an adolescent in the 70s, and it was the exact opposite! Everyone seemed to have fine, straight, thin, silky hair and I had a bushy, thick, mess of Indian hair. That's really when my secret envy of 1a/F/i hair began.

Farrah I guess was more of a 70's icon, and your right it was a smoother sleeker look then, but I graduated from high school in 83, so I bridged a part of both decades. She was the ideal for perfectly feathered, layered hair sleek hair. I had my shoulder length hair cut in layers when I was 14 or so, hoping for that feathered look that was all the rage. It looked nice for about 30 minutes after the stylist was done. My will-not-hold-curl hair, just kinda wilted and the layers on my already fine wispy hair was ........ sad to say the least. Sleek and smooth was in, but what I had was something else entirely... I think it was not too long after that I did actually grow my hair long and keep it all one length for a few years, it was the nicest look of all of them in my opinion and suited my hair type the best, I didn't try and make it do anything I just let it be what it was. Eventually I cut it again and took another run at curls and perms, think 80's big hair...... my hair managed lots of frizz and damage from all the chemical processing but not much volume.....

StellaKatherine
February 24th, 2015, 10:11 AM
But your profile pic looks so shiny and silky!

Photos can lie ;)