PDA

View Full Version : Achieving a slick updo?

Tangles
September 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hey guys,

I've been sort of MIA (sooo busy with school), and I feel teribly behind, but I just have a quick question for now. I've been having these frizzy looking updos lately and my temple hairs have literally gone haywire. I have a VERY SMALL face and the result is that I look like a mad scientist! How do I have a sleeker looking updo without using coney gels? Thanks.

renarok
September 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
find a gel that doesn't have cones, or use aloe vera gel.

Vitalai
September 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've heard some people used AVG, but there's mixed reviews (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4175&highlight=aloe) on that. Some say that it really works, while others say it leaves their hair crunchy.

chrissy-b
September 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My hair is so oily that my natural oils keep my hair slicked back even when I don't want it to be. Maybe extending your washes out might help. I've also had luck with aloe gel and I still use a little alcohol free hair spray on the days that I wash to keep my flyaways down.

burns_erin
September 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have used AVG, but my current fix is vegetable glycerin. I have only been using it for a short time so i can not tell you long term effects.

manderly
September 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
You can try some shea butter. It's almost like a hair paste.

However, I have no problem bustin out the hairspray when I need it once in a blue moon.

Delila
September 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I've been quite happy with the results I'm getting with the use of a catnip rinse. It's got ~just~ enough oil that my hair looks sleek, not oily.

heidi w.
September 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I think some have success with pure Aloe Vera Gel.

If you were to tip a BBB on its side, and after your hair is in its updo, very gently glide, no pressing into the hair, over the surface of this section of hair, will the strands stand down? Would they stay? Mine do...but then, I have straight hair -- no furl whatsoever.

The halo effect is almost always welcome news: new growth!

There are hairsprays that are misted on, a spritzer effect. Would oil in a water mixed (you'd have to shake) in a misting bottle work? -- oil causes hair to be heavier, but the smallest bit might do the trick. Or howsabouts a teensy weensy dot on palms, and gently gliding on hair top, outer canopy?....

Some people actually simply spritz on water throughout the day...kind of a hassle to do it this way, though.

Can you do something with your hair overnight to help it FORM smooth? Such as some kind of capping or bandana, or the worst ever to me: sleeping in rollers!

Can you use a steam set of rollers or those lock and go ones (for sale at a local drugstore and fairly inexpensive) to help form the hair more smoothly, and quickly in the morning?!

Thinking out loud. Don't know your hair type and its personality.

heidi w.

Melisande
September 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I mist my hair with distilled water and camellia oil before I make an updo - it helps it stay smooth a bit longer. It also gives a bit of a lift to the roots, not bad for flat hair like mine.

I lalso use Fox' sheabutter cream in my lengths before I braid. It may make the hair look a bit stringy if you have the tendency for that, but it keeps braids smooth and the tassel in nice shape. I love it.

My temple hair is a huge problem for me, too. I try to tame them with all I have: mist, cream, and a mix of AVG and jojoba oil. Until now, nothing really made a difference. As soon as there's a bit of wind, dry air or general movement of molecules... they take off and lift themselves into the air.

So I'll keep an eye on this thread...

Tangles
September 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Heidi w.
my hair is a 2a/2b with a VERY fickle personality. it tends towards greasiness on the crown and poof at the ends. sleeping in rollers kinda sorta works. Thanks for the optimism re. annoying halo though. It is kinda cool that I have extra thickness coming in.

i'll have to try the shea butter manderly

Jim
October 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
I use a hair wax by d:fi There are various strengths available but I use the light wax. It comes in a little jar, you use just a tiny dab, rubbed between your hands then on your hair. It holds the little frizzies down and adds just a bit of shine (not much). It washes out easily. I am sure there are other similar products on the market. This one seems to be mostly bees wax.

You can check out their web page: http://www.dfihair.com/

Jim

WavyGirl
October 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
You might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13089) interesting. :flower:

angelthadiva
October 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
If I put my hair up when its wet and use a BBB it will stay put w/o any halo effect. OTOH, if I put my dry hair up, I have to use something to keep it back.

I have a mister I use on my NW days, it consists of spring water, 5 different oils, vegetable glycerine and a few drops of lemon and euc EO.

1nuitblanche
October 4th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Once my hair gets a bit greasy from my scalp, it stays pretty slick, especially if I run a BBB over it lightly. If I put lots of coconut oil on it while it's wet, it also stays pretty slick--this likely might not work in a warmer climate though.

Katze
October 6th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Tangles, Wavygirl already beat me to it...linking to the thread I posted a few days back on exactly this topic.

I have the same problem you do and am eagerly looking for solutions. Recently I have been (gasp) brushing more and going back to *occasional* 'cone use. Handling my hair makes it sleeker, as it gets greasier fast. This all means my hair is straighter, but still frizzy...!

it is a real toss up for me between enjoying wild, full, wavy hair DOWN and trying to get it to behave for any kind of updo, which automatically means making it greasier. It doesn't help that I don't like the look of buns or similar 'dos on my big round head and with my lighter, thinner ends...but I just trimmed again, hopefully this will help.

good luck and please let us know what you find!

Katze

twilight_faerie
October 6th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Oddly enough, all I need to get a perfectly smooth updo is a fine-tooth comb and some water. After securing the 'do, I just wet the comb and run it through my hair from the hairline to the hair elastic. Even after it dries (which doesn't take long), the hairs stay, for the most part, perfectly in place.