PDA

View Full Version : Hair Toys Breaking/Pulling Short Hair

fairyblood
February 20th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I have chin length hair, grown out from a pixie, and can barely put most of it in a ponytail, no buns. I'm also growing out bangs before the rest of my hair gets too long. Right now they reach to the end of my nose and fall in my face, which makes me crazy. My problem is that the only things I use to put my bangs away are bobby pins, and they break and tear out my hair unless I'm extremely careful, and sometimes even that won't help. If I'm not careful, even regular metal free ponytail holders tangle in my hair badly, and the other day I found my first fairy knot. My question is, what can I use to get my hair out of my face without ripping it out?

TL;DR What are gentle ways to keep fine, overgrown bangs hidden away?

gwenalyn
February 21st, 2015, 12:44 PM
Those tiny claw clips from cornerstores like Walgreens work well, although they are not the most polished things in the world. Lots of people here use french/dutch braids, though that never worked for my slippery hair when it was shorter.

meteor
February 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM
I would consider light-weight small French barrettes or mini-claw-clips.
Check the edges/springs for snags first. You could use a nail file to sand down any snags or cover them with a bit of nail polish.

chen bao jun
February 21st, 2015, 12:59 PM
mini maximas or teeny tiny flexis?

endlessly
February 21st, 2015, 01:02 PM
I would consider light-weight small French barrettes or mini-claw-clips.
Check the edges/springs for snags first. You could use a nail file to sand down any snags or cover them with a bit of nail polish.

I would recommend the small claw clips as well. Plus, if headbands are your thing, you could even try something like that, too.

Colochita
February 21st, 2015, 03:40 PM
It may also be the quality of your bobby pins. I've started tossing bobby pins with any paint chips and have switched to a pack of reinforced bobby pins from Sally's. I haven't had problems with snags or tears since.

two_wheels
February 21st, 2015, 03:42 PM
Lace braid the front bits from a deep side part on the left all the way across your face then to behind your right ear (or the other way round), then with the bobby pins. Saw me through a rough six months! Good luck :)

Oktobergoud on here really worked this look back in the day, google her.

QMacrocarpa
February 21st, 2015, 05:29 PM
My mom keeps her hair pretty short, but when her bangs get a bit shaggy between cuts she clips them out of the way with an extra-small flexi-8 or a Goody "ouchless" barrette (single-piece plastic construction, no metal parts). Another possibility is a hairband. I like the stretchy kind that go all the way around the head-- the stiff ones usually pinch me uncomfortably.

lapushka
February 21st, 2015, 05:41 PM
What about these click-clack thingies:
http://3.imimg.com/data3/VC/VG/MY-3817701/tik-tik-hair-pins-250x250.jpg

hennalonghair
February 21st, 2015, 07:32 PM
What about these click-clack thingies:
http://3.imimg.com/data3/VC/VG/MY-3817701/tik-tik-hair-pins-250x250.jpg

I wear these or little xs or mini flexis

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM
You could wear a scarf or bandana to hold the hair back. I wore one all the time when I was in the awkward growing out pixie stage some years ago.

fairyblood
February 21st, 2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much for all your help and wonderful advice! I got a couple of packs of stretchy headbands today, can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. I'm also thinking of trying the claw clips as well. I thought that getting my bobby pins from Sally's would fix the problem, but unfortunately they still grab onto the last two or three hairs when I remove them. I can't wait to try the lovely techniques everyone mentioned-with all this variety, I'll finally be able to grow my hair past all this awkwardness.
:joy:

Nadine <3
February 21st, 2015, 10:38 PM
When my hair was cut short I wore head bands a lot, or kept the bangs braided so it was out of my face. I didn't start strictly keeping it up until around collar bone length.

hanne jensen
February 22nd, 2015, 02:24 AM
I'd go with the click clack thingies. I trashed my hair with mini claw clips. Pressure damage. The stretchy headbands are also good. They're cheap and are in many different colors. Can you crochet? I wore a crocheted snood every day for 3 months just to keep my hair out of my face and to protect it from rubbing against my clothes. I used mercantized cotton which is very slippery.

MINAKO
February 22nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
im using a type of clip called libellen spange in german which translates to dragonfly clip, but im not sure if these are sold everywhere. they arethe most gentle option i cn think of. bobby pins are probably ok too, butmy hair doesnt like them, either they bend from the amount of hair and leave harsh crimps or they are not holding in place and slide around.

meteor
February 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM
I'd go with the click clack thingies. I trashed my hair with mini claw clips. Pressure damage.
Yikes, you got damage from claw clips? :scared: I am a fan of claw clips and didn't see anything in that sort of "spider-grab" no-pull, no-pressure design that I would think could cause damage. Do you think they were damaging because of snagging on plastic seams or metal springs? Or do you think that the very design of a claw-clip is damaging? Thank you! :flower:

Click-clack thingies seem to squeeze and crimp my hair... I don't know if that's damaging, but I would imagine it could be if it's placed always in the same spot.

im using a type of clip called libellen spange in german which translates to dragonfly clip, but im not sure if these are sold everywhere. they arethe most gentle option i cn think of. bobby pins are probably ok too, butmy hair doesnt like them, either they bend from the amount of hair and leave harsh crimps or they are not holding in place and slide around.

Thanks so much for sharing, MINAKO! :) I googled "libellen spange", but I see very different images, so I'm not sure what they are...
Do they look like this (http://www.gutes-aus-deutschland.de/images/sol147018.jpg)? How do they work: kind of like clasps?

browneyedsusan
February 24th, 2015, 03:34 AM
I've been there, and it's no fun. I braided my bangs, twisted them and pinned, or poufed them up into a jaw clip. Feel free to pm me. Growing a pixie is hard.

browneyedsusan
February 24th, 2015, 08:01 AM
I want to share a couple of links. (Was replying from my phone last night, and can't finesse those teensy keys very well! lol! )

I did a bunch of these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQJ7aenX1U).
Two_wheels is dead-on about Oktobergoud. She's very creative, and had the bangs mastered. Here's a link to her hair stuff. (http://myboringhair.tumblr.com/page/7). You'll have to scroll way back to see her growing a pixie!
Feel free to snoop through my growth album. I didn't wear my hair down--in public-- for 6 solid months, it looked so awkward!