PDA

View Full Version : Gel with salt dries out hair (doh!)

Zugar
February 20th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Hi!

Hope someone can help. I´m using a new gel on my scalp because of itching. This gel contains salt, and the problem occurs when I wash my hair; the salt is a real hassle to get out, and it dries my hair out completely as it´s rinsed from the scalp.

Anyone has any idea of how I can keep using the gel without damaging the hair?

Thank you :)

Anje
February 20th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I'd say evidence points to this gel not working so well for you.

Why not get a gel that's not full of salt?

Zugar
February 20th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Because I´ve tried everything I can think of to relieve the itch - and this gel seemed to work..... :)

Anje
February 20th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Well, coating the length of hair with conditioner before shampooing is a pretty normal thing around here to keep the shampoo from drying the length. That might also work for you.

I'm assuming you've tried a few things like changing your hair products and such, right? We've got a fair number of members here who are allergic to the sulfates in conventional shampoos and got a lot of relief when they tried eliminating those. Diluted vinegar rinses are also really popular as a mild remedy for grumpy scalps. I guess I'd be looking for causes before adding new substances to try to fight it. (Then again, I tend to be a dry skin type who gets itchy eczema sorts of things when my skin gets dried out, so your salt gel sounds like something that would drive my skin crazy!)

Zugar
February 20th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Yup, tried several things over the last eight years.... Actually tried about everything except shaving my hair completely off (and believe me- I´ve wanted to). Also eliminating everything I could from my routine, changed my diet, medical treatments, and so forth. The salt-gel is something new at my local drugstore :)

Thank you for helping :)

Edit: So, condition, shampoo, condition? I could try that :)