PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your hair tools and products

Nivine
February 20th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Hello ladies :*
Please tell us about your hair care tools and products :)
Mine are very simple. I use wooden combs and wooden brush from The Body Shop and a hair serum for styling, along with hair rollers. I try to stay away from hot tools as much as possible (if I have to, it would be once, max twice a month)

here are the stuff I use:
I have 2 combs, one I use when it's oil time, and the other one is for detangling after shower and for outdoor combing.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0eB_RzJfAM8/UI4zqMwR7CI/AAAAAAAAAsY/ZikVmIm6Bzw/s1600/IMG_9967.JPG

and this is the wooden brush, also from The Body Shop
https://nellyandnoopy.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/brush.jpg?w=620&h=401

and this is the hair serum I use for styling
http://www.amazon.com/Dimond-Cuticle-Paul-Brown-Hawaii/dp/B000ULPDPQ

and the hair rollers are medium-sized velcro rollers :)

muadhnait
February 20th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I really love that comb by bodyshop :)
My personal favourites are the combs by hercules saegemann (http://www.hercules-saegemann.de/en/), a german hairdresser brand with really great quality combs and brushes and my shampoo grail the Organic Orange & Coconut Gloss Shampoo (http://www.sante.de/en/produkte/family/family-shampoo/family-glanz-shampoo-bio-orange-und-coco/)

Nivine
February 20th, 2015, 10:04 AM
ooh! I forgot to mention my shampoo and conditioner! XD
I use 2 kinds of shampoos. Just switch between them every while and both are SLS-free
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod1260372
http://www.amazon.com/FOLTENE-SHAMPOO-FOR-WOMEN-Size/dp/B004761TNK

and this is the conditioner
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foltene-FO912-Conditioner-Men-Women/dp/B004DIN99Y

Arctic
February 20th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I have the same comb! I love it and it's very long lasting! Mine is partially pink tough, after it stained from my shock coloured hair :D

In addition to that, I have 3 seamless, handmade acetate combs: fine, medium and wide toothed.

I also have several brushes, for different purposes. I have so many because I never used to use brushes and didn't know what would each do and I have been wanting to experiment. I have a round brush, a vented brush made of coal (don't ask, I don't know how, but it's supposed to not make hair electric), a BIG paddle brush which is my favourite, a thin BBB meant for teasing but I use it usually to smooth updos, a similar looking wooden brush like the Body Shop one.

My hair dryer is of "nameless brand", but it's been very good. I have been on the look out for a new one for a while though, but can't seem to find one which would have as big diffuser part as my current one has.

I have 3 other hair gadgets (heat tools) but I won't mention more of them :D

Products are too many to list the whole names out of memory. Mousse, hair powder, dry shampoo, hair spray, thickening spray, heat protecting spray, smoothing lotion.... I usually use mousse and lately have been reaching for thickening spray and hair powder often too.

I have several shampoos, I use them all. My main shampoo has sodium laureth sulphate and an ingredient called piroctone olamine which has helped me to put stop to my previous long term dandruff. I also have low sulphate and no sulphate shampoos, which I rotate. I have several conditioners but usually use 1 or two of them the most. I use a normal conditioner as a leave in.

Nivine
February 20th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Arctic you have lots of things! XDDD
my hair wouldn't survive with all that stuff! :D

MINAKO
February 20th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I really love that comb by bodyshop :)
My personal favourites are the combs by hercules saegemann (http://www.hercules-saegemann.de/en/), a german hairdresser brand with really great quality combs and brushes and my shampoo grail the Organic Orange & Coconut Gloss Shampoo (http://www.sante.de/en/produkte/family/family-shampoo/family-glanz-shampoo-bio-orange-und-coco/)

seconding the comb recommendation, their ebonit line is the best quality i can imagine.
mayi ask, is this the lumiere black moon you are wearing in your avatar?

Arctic
February 20th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Nivine ha ha, I guess I do. I haven't been really following a typical LHC style routines in years! In every day life I shampoo, condition, put the same conditioner as a leave in, add mousse and blowdry quickly without any brush :)

Pinni
February 20th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I also have the same comb from body shop. :) I love it! I also like tangle teezer and tangle angel.

muadhnait
February 20th, 2015, 11:24 AM
mayi ask, is this the lumiere black moon you are wearing in your avatar? yes it is :D

MINAKO
February 20th, 2015, 11:51 AM
yes it is :D

its very pretty. i think i should treat myself to one before the sell out in the large size. :o

muadhnait
February 20th, 2015, 11:57 AM
its very pretty. i think i should treat myself to one before the sell out in the large size. :o

yes, and it seems EVERYONE wants it :D

endlessly
February 20th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I love the wooden comb and brush!

Tools I use:

1. A green wide-toothed comb I purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply eons ago (I have several of the same style) that's infused with olive oil. They work amazingly well for detangling my knot-prone hair.

2. Tangle Teazer: the only type of "brush" I dare use because it has almost entirely reduced breakage of any kind.

3. Various bobby pins, hair ties, and claw clips

These are the products I've been using regularly when I wash my hair, but I do sometimes have alternatives that I'll use if my hair needs additional treatment depending on my schedule. Everything I currently use is from Lush since my hair loves their products.

1. Lush "Karma Komba" shampoo bar

2. Lush "Happy Happy Joy Joy" conditioner

3. Lush "R&B" leave-in conditioner

Additional Products:

1. Lush "Retread" deep conditioner for when my hair needs more moisture

2. Lush "Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze" pre-wash treatment: if my hair is particularly fluffy, this does wonders to detangle and smooth my unruly locks.

3. Lush "Rehab" liquid shampoo: I only use this when my hair is very oily feeling since it's very clarifying, but it can be drying if used too frequently.

4. Lush "Trichomania" solid shampoo: I have eczema that comes and goes, so this is perfect for the flare-ups on my scalp because it helps moisturize and prevents the itchy feeling.

Nivine
February 20th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Thank you all for sharing. It's interesting to learn about your hair care tools :D
muadhnait and endlessly, the comb and brush are worth spending money on! they truly helped my hair become better!!

muadhnait
February 20th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for sharing. It's interesting to learn about your hair care tools :D
muadhnait and endlessly, the comb and brush are worth spending money on! they truly helped my hair become better!!

I own the comb myself :-) but I've really given up wooden brushes in general because my hair get's stuck and teared out between the pins and the cushion :(
If some day they make a wooden brush with pins anchored UNDERNEATH the cushion, I will buy it immediately but I haven't found such a wooden brush yet

Nivine
February 20th, 2015, 06:23 PM
yes i know what you mean. it happens sometimes with me too!

MINAKO
February 21st, 2015, 01:07 AM
I own the comb myself :-) but I've really given up wooden brushes in general because my hair get's stuck and teared out between the pins and the cushion :(
If some day they make a wooden brush with pins anchored UNDERNEATH the cushion, I will buy it immediately but I haven't found such a wooden brush yet

japanese tsuge brushes dont have a cushion, also the pins are so wide that hair cant twist around it. i like them to detangle, but i have a translucent silicone type one i can use in wet hair. http://www.chidoriyaworld.com/nesatsbr.html

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2015, 03:28 AM
I use Pantene products for the most part sls and cones
Beautiful lengths shampoo and conditioner
Mane n tail conditioner
Nature fusion leave in conditioner
Truly natural shine serum
I comb my hair only with a wide tooth comb
Scrunchi to secure my braid and a scarf to protect
I don't use heat
I do a weekly caffeine mist after my wash routine and before my leave ins.

Verdandi
February 21st, 2015, 06:41 AM
I also use that Body Shop comb! :D

I also have an old wide toothed plastic one I found in my mothers bathroom for wet hair. And a Tangle Teezer for the days where I just don't have the patience to comb. And a boar bristle brush from BaByliss that I used to use a lot when I had limited hair wash possibilites, not as much nowadays.

I wash with either The Body Shop Rainforest Volume shampoo (Sulfate free),
The body shop Ginger Anti dandruff (doubles as a clarifying shampoo)
Desert Essence Lemon and Tea Tree shampoo.

Conditioners vary, since I've tried to be a bit more frugal when it comes to hair care.
Naturelle Moisture conditioner (kinda meh, but for about $1 for 400ml, it's okay to use globs and globs, conditioner tends to be a lot more expensive here)
Klippoteket Balsam (Also crazy cheap, contains proteins and my hair is not a fan of frequent use but for every now and then it works great!)
Pantene Pro-V volume for fine hair (Cones galore! But my hair likes cones in the winter so I guess I'll just keep feeding it cones... So much for years of cone free experimenting...)

No heat (except my blow drier on low setting, winter Scandinavia is unforgiving... ;) ), wear hair up with short acrylic sticks (4") or braided with one of those terrycloth hair ties. I might have the most boring hair care routine ever, TBH. :rolleyes: I have a bunch of ficcares and other tools/toys but they get almost no use compared.

Pinni
February 21st, 2015, 08:08 AM
Interesting to read these. :)

Pantene products seem to be popular.

lapushka
February 21st, 2015, 08:19 AM
I use a Hairsense bone comb (the volume comb is a regular wide tooth comb). And my brush is a Tangle Teezer. It doesn't tug on your scalp one bit and I love it for that!

Lolino
February 21st, 2015, 08:27 AM
I'm laaazy about styling/haircare :P

Products;
Dr Organic Pomegranate Shampoo and Conditioner. I used the Coconut oil version before, but I think I prefer this one. No SLS, silicones, parabens, artificial perfumes, and a list of other things I suppose some people worry about. I just like the smell and how it works for me :D
Proffs Argan Oil Treatment-thing. My mum bought it for me on a whim, and I rather like it.. Might go for real argan oil when it's all gone. I try to remember to use it.
Jojoba/Castor/Olive oil whenever I remember. Mostly because I have them at home since I attempted the Oil Cleansing Method for my face some time ago.

Tools;
Widetoothed plastic comb from Etos or Kruidvat, I think. Considering getting the Body Shop one though, it looks more comfortable.
Denman large porcupine brush, which only arrived today, so I'm looking forward to using it after my hair dries tonight.
Tiny boar bristle brush from Etos which just makes my hair super-static and weird.
Various metal-free elastics and U-hairpins from Etos/Claire's.
I own a hairdryer, but I've only used it twice or so since buying it 5 years ago. I've never been one for heat styling/drying. I'm waay too lazy! I think I have a curling iron...somewhere. Which hasn't been used in almost 6 years.
Zero hairtoys so far, except for two glittery flower pins I got at Claire's as a bonus to some earrings I bought there, and various small and glittery hairclips I've had since I was a teenager.

Islandgrrl
February 21st, 2015, 08:31 AM
I use daily:

1. A wide tooth comb for detangling.
2. A Denman BBB.

I use occasionally (like when it's super cold or dry):

1. Nightshade's Panacea.

I don't use styling aids like rollers or heat tools.

Sterlyn
February 21st, 2015, 10:04 AM
I use daily:

1. A wide tooth comb for detangling.
2. A Denman BBB.

I use occasionally (like when it's super cold or dry):

1. Nightshade's Panacea.

I don't use styling aids like rollers or heat tools.

Total thread derail:

Islandgrrl I love that butterfly in your avatar photo, it's just gorgeous. Is that a ficcare mod or some other type of clip? Just curious as I've never seen anything quite like it....

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2015, 10:46 AM
Interesting to read these. :)

Pantene products seem to be popular.

If you're a Pantene fan join the I love Pantene thread.

meteor
February 21st, 2015, 12:14 PM
I regularly use only one tool: that BodyShop comb. I know there are better combs out there, but I like that this one can be bought locally instead of searching online.
I also use an Afro pick on wet hair, so not very often.

I've never owned flat-irons, curling irons or any other heat styling tools. I don't even own a brush.
I do have a blow-dryer but I use it only if I spilled water on clothes or something - haven't used it on hair in years.
Ditching brush and blow-dryer coincided with the end of split ends and dramatic improvement in shine for me, so I do think that these tools (or the way I used them) were a detrimental factor in my case.

As for products: well, I'm a product junkie, I'm afraid. :lol: I know that no product will make a massive difference, so I rotate and change them up just for fun and experimentation. Thank goodness, they sell sample sizes in stores now, to feed my curiosity. :lol:

muadhnait
February 22nd, 2015, 04:01 AM
japanese tsuge brushes dont have a cushion, also the pins are so wide that hair cant twist around it. i like them to detangle, but i have a translucent silicone type one i can use in wet hair. http://www.chidoriyaworld.com/nesatsbr.html

thankyou :-) I'm really thinking about buying one of these

muadhnait
February 22nd, 2015, 04:03 AM
edit: when I can find one, that ist not THAT expensive :D

Sterlyn
February 22nd, 2015, 06:34 AM
I got distracted by Islandgrrls avatar that I forgot to to actually add the post I meant to. :roll:

I also have that bodyshop comb, got it recently and I really like it. It seems to be helping keep the static down in the winter which is a plus.

I don't use hot tools anymore, I threw all my various curling wands out when I stopped coloring my hair. I do have bendy rods for heatless curls which I use once in a while, when the mood strikes me.

I don't use natural oils much anymore, as I have found they seem to cause a too much darkening/yellowing with my hair. I have been experimenting with full on cones again after years of no cones and they really seem to be working well at the moment without the color change issues.