PDA

View Full Version : What's your HAIR TYPE?!?

M.McDonough
February 20th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Hello!

I'm a guy as some of you may already know. When I was young around 3 to 8 years old probably, I had super straight hair. Now I'm in my twenties and my hair is kinda wavy/curly ''wavy from the front curly from the back'' kinda looks like Johnny Depp's in ''The Tourist''
So what about you? Has your hair type changed over the years???? Please let me know
(Hope you find this topic interesting)

Just to give you an idea, this is how my hair looked like when I was 7 :P

http://i.imgur.com/l9ItI73.jpg

If you have some pictures of yourselves when you guys were young and want to share them, please do!

PEACE!

Stray_mind
February 20th, 2015, 01:35 AM
My hairtype is 1c/2a Fine, but the waviness level is still a mystery to me, because on some occasions it looks like full 2a and on others full 1c and even 1b... My hair was like that pretty much all my life, but at one point after i had a neck surgery it looked like 2b.. I really liked my waves at that time. They used to even form spirals one strand around another. Now it's something in between. like everything about my hair (color, thickness, waviness and all.)

jenrjen
February 20th, 2015, 01:57 AM
My hair was straight as a kid and young adult. However, it went pretty curly after birthing my son. (Not that this would ever apply to OP..) It got curlier and curlier until about 3 years ago when it just started relaxing the curl.
I dunno. Hormones affect all kinds of weird stuff. So does age.

lapushka
February 20th, 2015, 05:34 AM
My hair was 1b'ish until puberty hit. Then I went full-on wavy, with all the frizz that entails. :lol:

CastaDiva
February 20th, 2015, 06:45 AM
My hair has always been stick straight, 1a/F/ii. The only thing that has changed over the years is the color. It was a lot darker when I was a child.

Arctic
February 20th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Aahhh, my favourite topic :D

Oh yes my hair has changed and I had a heck of a time accepting it. It took years to get used to it!

I had a very fine, straigth (probably 1b), slippery, thin hair untill I was about 30 years old. Then I realized it had "suddenly" become partially wavier and with more thick hair strands, and more volume.

My hair is a big hodge podge of textures. I still have fine hairs, I have medium hairs and also coarse hairs. Some of my hairs have a wiry texture while some are as smooth as my hair was before the change. I have straight hairs, loosely wavy hairs, very wavy hairs and some are even quite curly.

This translates in my overall hair this way: My canopy is almost straight, and the underside is quite wavy. If I let my hair just air dry, it looks unkept to me, because non of the textures seem to play nicely with each other. I guess I was visually conditioned to the straight hair for 30 or so years.

I have finally accepted my changed hair and I even like many of it's qualities, but I do prefer to style it: either have it up or blow dried straight or curled. I do occasionally leave it down without styling, I try to think of it as a rock'n roll texture :D

I can poke fun at myself now, but boy I did have hard time with the new texture. I analysed it in my blog here in such detail it's really quite funny now!

Anyway, I can't really put my hair type into the simplified LHC style code.

diddiedaisy
February 20th, 2015, 07:02 AM
As a child my hair was straight but very annoyingly flicked up at the ends. I'm not sure if that counts as 1a. Now I'm a very messy and unruly 2a. Hair colour has gone from nearly white to a very dark beigey blonde, which I now dye ash blonde to cover up my emerging greys!!!

Arctic
February 20th, 2015, 07:04 AM
diddiedaisy, straight with flippy ends is to my understanding 1 b. 1 a is poker straight all the way.

Begemot
February 20th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I'm 1b or maybe even 1c these days. Still very much straight but I think my texture has switched towards coarser hair. I'm hoping to some day wake up and have my hair turned gloriously wavy over night... TLHC is actually the first and only place where I have found that other people share my love for wavy and curly hair. In real world it feels like usually people prefer strongly very straight hair or heat styled curls.

MINAKO
February 20th, 2015, 07:55 AM
my hairtype went from a 3a super coarse as a kid to a 2b/c medium/fine and i decided to straighten it further so i end up with 2a hair as it currently is. i can really feel how my texture changed over the years, all my spirals grew out and also my roots are much flatter which in part certainly comes from the weight of the hair itself.
i love poker straight hair the most, so im happy as that means less work for me to achive that, still i have to make some effort to get there and maintain it.

M.McDonough
February 20th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Guys, Your're using all sorts of abbreviations...What's 1c,3a,....?

Arwenlily
February 20th, 2015, 11:24 AM
My hair started as 3a/3b, then as I got older it was more 2b/2c ish and then I used to straighten it everyday. Now, my hair is mainly 3a I think, with a little 3b as it is getting longer. Shorter as an adult, my hair was more 3b.

CastaDiva
February 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM

It's a way of classifying hair. More information and pictures here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

raemarthe
February 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM
My hair type is all over the place! I was born with 3a spirals, which later turned into 2c waves and some 3a curls. When I was around 12 I remember my hair suddenly changed because it got courser and 3B curls started joing the mix. Right now I have all sorts of hair types, 2b, 2c, 3a, and 3b. If I didn't have so much damage I think my hair would have a tighter pattern. I label my self a 2c/3a because that's the type of curls I have the most of :) My curl pattern is the weakest in the back and strongest in the front.

MagicalMystery
February 20th, 2015, 12:09 PM
When I was a toddler, I had a head of bright red 3a curls. The red eventually faded to a dark blonde :( , and my hair eventually transformed into a slightly denser, more coarse 3b.

cdonald2
February 20th, 2015, 12:09 PM
When i was younger, i had thick wavy curls that i couldnt even run a brush through. everyone in school made fun of my for having messy hair even though i brushed it.....

well, puberty happened and now its fine, and straight. it used to be thinner due to damage but i have seen it thicken back up alot since ive been wearing it up and no longer using a straightening iron...

3 Cat Night
February 20th, 2015, 12:31 PM
My hair was blonde and curly, like a 3a, when I was a pre-schooler. Then it straightened a bit and turned dark brown when I was in elementary school. It was like a 2a. Then when puberty hit me at age 11, it went curly again. It's been about a 3a ever since. There are a lot of people in my family whose hair has turned curly or curlier at puberty. It's a family trait on my dad's side.

Arctic
February 20th, 2015, 12:39 PM

CastaDiva already answered to you too. It's a hairtyping system, so we can know what type of hair one has. The code takes into account the straightness/waviness/curliness, the thickess of individual strands and the thickness of the hair over all, as a whole. These things affect on the way hair behaves and what it might need (what kind of care), so it's easy to for example see how other people with similar hair as you take care of theirs.

Waverly
February 20th, 2015, 01:53 PM
As a child I had 1a/F/ii hair in chestnut Brown. As I turned 11ish it darkened to almost black like the rest of my family and changed texture from F to M. When I got pregnant with DS1 it lightened back to chestnut and changed texture again from 1a to 1b/c. After having DS2 my hair is now chestnut Brown and solidly 1c/M/ii. Oddly enough, my mum's hair did something similar. It never changed colour but it did get waivier each pregnancy. She started as a 1a and after 5 pregnancies is now a 2a/b.
I think it's epigenetic. My mum's mum had curls as did both her parents and I'm assuming she passed on the curly genes which despite being dominant lay dormant somehow. We both also have hazel eyes and my eyes have also lightened during each pregnancy. I read up on it and it turns out no one really knows why it happens but they think people who change colouring have some special sort of 'modifier' genes that get switched on by certain things/events in our lifetimes. Interestingly, they have linked it to the genes for red hair and green eyes - both of which my mum's Irish family has in spades. So there you go! Hidden Irish roots anyone? :D

gwenalyn
February 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM
My hair has always been 1a/F, and I am far past puberty! The only hair thing that has changed as far as I can recall is that after puberty I got a lot more thickness, for which I am glad.

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Interesting topic! Looking back at photos, my hair was quite straight until about the time I was eight years old- that's when the waviness started appearing. Now I have very distinct s-waves. I've always been puzzled by this! :hmm:

yahirwaO.o
February 21st, 2015, 12:34 AM
Ive always have very straight and sleek hair, a solid 1a when I was a child, maybe the bowl cut made it more obvious just like yours.
My hair is a fully 1b in wash day and slowly makes it way to 1a the next couple days.

animetor7
February 21st, 2015, 01:19 AM
My hair was silky ringlets as a child, and now it's 1b with some extra fluffiness and curls around my face on wash day.

TwilightShadow
February 21st, 2015, 01:43 AM
I have pictures from when I was very young (2-3 years old) where my hair had some ringlets; in later pictures (4-5 years onwards), my hair turned straight, 1a, maybe 1b. I think in adolescence, I started getting waves again, especially when my hair was getting longer. As far as color, it darkened through the years. I have a color picture from when I was 1 year old and the hair was that very pale white blonde. Most of the pictures I have from when I was a kid are black&white, but the hair is obviously a light blonde. When I started dyeing my hair (I was 20), my natural color was a dark ashy blonde.

Upside Down
February 21st, 2015, 02:28 AM
I don't know about hairtype cause my mom combed my curls but I had a dramatic change in color, from medium blonde to dark brown. If my mom didn't keep a lock of my blonde hair, I would not believe it.

Rebecka
February 21st, 2015, 04:52 AM
When i was under 13 i had nice waves, sometimes it even looked straight. Then i hit puberty, but since i started straighten it and do other damaging things i never realized how curly it really was. Now i've grown my hair long enough to tell it's more 3a than wavy. No me gusta.

M.McDonough
February 23rd, 2015, 04:09 AM
any more comments?