PDA

View Full Version : Who has heard of invisible layers and who has them?

pinchbeck
February 19th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Most hairdressers in my town cut generic layers into hair. I don't want those for myself but rather want ones that are there but kinda hidden so there are no blunt lines to see but rather movement and a bit more airiness. My hair is 30" long which one me is one inch past my elbows and it is dragging my face down and is not flattering. Of course it is from behind, but it would be nice to look nearly as good from the front.

Finding a master hairstylist will be tricky, but I think they are the ones who should be layering our hair.

lapushka
February 19th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I think what you're talking about is thinning the hair out, or razoring layers into it; it needs to be that in order to be "invisible". I think you'll always notice layers somehow... if they're layers. If that makes sense. :lol:

endlessly
February 19th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I haven't personally heard of the term "invisible layers", but I do understand what you mean and you are right that most hairdressers only know how to cut the generic, blunt layers.

I think what you're talking about is thinning the hair out, or razoring layers into it; it needs to be that in order to be "invisible". I think you'll always notice layers somehow... if they're layers. If that makes sense. :lol:

This is exactly right! The only time I had layers done correctly, it was done this way. They're very subtle, so there's more movement and body to the hair versus a blunt cut or defined layers.

spidermom
February 19th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I had invisible layers once. I didn't like it. My hair looked pretty much the same as when it was thinned - no flow to it at all, just lots of short bits sticking out all over the place.

arr
February 19th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I had them too. She basically just thinned the hair out with a razor so it was alot thinner and lighter, but you couldnt see any actual layers. I wasnt crazy about it because my hair felt so thin and it tended to get more frizzy than regular layers or no layers.

Catatafish
February 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I think that they are called 'blended layers'. I think that they do exist, but I don't know much apart from that.

Kendrix
February 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
My sister cuts layers into my hair. she doesn't section hair for layers. If I am getting a trim and ask her to cut a half inch off, she does, but when she cuts each piece of hair, she combs it out from my head at a certain angle, 30 degrees, 60 degrees, whatever. I don't have a set number of layers. Instead, my hair just tapers a tiny bit at the ends. are those invisible layers? She does it to keep my hemline from matting together and it really helps. She also does a face frame that starts at my chin and grows out pretty fast.

If it helps my sis is a hairdresser. She calls them "long layers" or layers for long hair.

pinchbeck
February 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM
No razor is used for this technique, but 'slicing' is and wonder if the latter technique creates split ends. Here is a short video on how invisible layers are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Y6JWtLtvU

MINAKO
February 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM
ugh, that does sound scary to me, because aside from being invisible they are also gonna be pretty unpredictable in the way they behave once you left the salon. i personally already hate regrowth poking out, so nobody would ever be able to talk me into this technique.
i mean if its just the ends so that it doesnt look super blunt, thats ok, but starting higher up i imagine it to be a messy look if not styled correctly, dont even get me started on hair feeling thinner.
if anything i would suggest you get some face framing and wait for the rest to taper on it own, it eventually willdo that anyways.

Kendrix
February 20th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I'm quite fond of my face frame, and the slight taper really only makes the last 3rd of my braid smaller as far as drawbacks, but I know that layers do no work for everyone. Mine span less than four inches at my hemline because they were just part of a very small trim. I don't think I will maintain the layers next trim simply because I'd like to give my hemline time to thicken up slightly again. I think having a hairdresser that is on the same page with you and your growth goals is key.

LillithTheFirst
February 20th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I had this done years ago. Basically you have to keep the same part, they don't tayer the top layers but layer underneath so you don't see the layers, but it means you get more bounce and it's not as heavy. Do suggest going to a hairdresser that's got lots of experience with long hair types.

spidermom
February 20th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Blended layers is a totally different cut from invisible layers.