PDA

View Full Version : Ways to increase shine/gloss?

copperlites
February 18th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I have learnt so much in the last week about improving the health of my hair. Some of these will obviously take considerable time to see results. I'm on day two of the inversion method. My hair feels considerably thicker and stronger already but I feel this could be the coconut oil not all washing out. I thought the coconut oil would increase the lustre of my hair but it does not seem to have done so. So many of you have gorgeous glossy hair. Please tell me, are there are any top tips for instantly increasing shine?

Sarahlabyrinth
February 18th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Stroking a few drops of mineral oil on damp hair after washing, and when it is dry, after detangling, brush gently with a Boar Bristle brush. That's the secret to the shine in my siggy pic......oops, I shouldn't have told you that, it's top secret....

Arctic
February 18th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Cold water rinses, and acid rinses (like vinegar or citric acid). They all close the cuticles making hair smoother from thier surface, and thus reflecting light better.

Having your hair free of buildup, which can make hair dull.

Not using too much products.

Last but not least, using flash when taking hair photos :D

endlessly
February 18th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I don't really know of any instant fixes besides using an oil. Personally, I make it a point to limit how often I wash my hair and then brush the natural oils through, which always makes my hair much shinier. I also avoid using silicone-based products so I don't have any buildup on my hair because that can cause dullness. I pretty much have a lazy approach to my hair nowadays and I've found it to be so much healthier than it was in the past. Wash, condition, leave-in, air dry, and then braid...that's about it!

copperlites
February 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I have learnt so much in the last week about improving the health of my hair. Some of these will obviously take considerable time to see results. I'm on day two of the inversion method. My hair feels considerably thicker and stronger already but I feel this could be the coconut oil not all washing out. I thought the coconut oil would increase the lustre of my hair but it does not seem to have done so. So many of you have gorgeous glossy hair. Please tell me, are there are any top tips for instantly increasing shine?

Avis
February 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I second the mineral oil on damp hair. Also, I use a rosemary rinse after each wash. It smells really good and is easy to make. Just simmer some water with rosemary in it for 20 minutes. You get a great shine and softness from it.

copperlites
February 18th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Stroking a few drops of mineral oil on damp hair after washing, and when it is dry, after detangling, brush gently with a Boar Bristle brush. That's the secret to the shine in my siggy pic......oops, I shouldn't have told you that, it's top secret....

Thanks Sarahlabyrinth. I have a boar bristle brush on my wish list for my birthday in two weeks. Fingers crossed my hubby gets the right one. Your hair looks stunningly shiny.

meteor
February 18th, 2015, 06:11 PM
What works for me:
- Avoiding all damage (chemical, heat, mechanical),
- acidic rinses (diluted ACV, white vinegar, etc),
- lightweight oils (mineral, grapeseed, safflower, etc),
- honey,
- and of course, silicone serums!

copperlites
February 18th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I second the mineral oil on damp hair. Also, I use a rosemary rinse after each wash. It smells really good and is easy to make. Just simmer some water with rosemary in it for 20 minutes. You get a great shine and softness from it.

Great tip thanks Avis. I have Rosemary in the garden and love the scent of it so will make a brew today!

copperlites
February 18th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Whoops. I accidentally posted this thread twice. I'm not sure how that happened sorry.

meteor
February 18th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Maybe a mod can merge these 2 threads for you then? ;)

Breanna
February 18th, 2015, 06:18 PM
When I did a honey lightening treatment the other day it made my hair sooo shiny and soft. If you're not i terested in lightening your hair, simply warm up the mixture. I used 1 tablespoon of honey for every 6 tablespoons of water and applied it with a spray bottle, letting it sit for an hour before rinsing it out. :)

Arctic
February 18th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I notified the mod team :)

New people opening this thread, post your comments here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129722

Chromis
February 18th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Whooshed!

Things that make my hair shiny:
- Citric acid/ACV rinses
- henna
- oils

Cones make my hair shiny, but are too drying for me longterm. Oils versus cones seems to depend on what your hair/scalp prefer :flower:

MINAKO
February 18th, 2015, 07:45 PM
i cant add much to the list. for me too henndigo and oiling did help alot. im not a fan of ACV but use ascorbic acid in my rinse that also contains a cup of coffe, a cup of sage tea and a teaspoon of molasses. my hair is not the shiniest compared to some i have seen, but there has been massive improvement as it was extra dull before at some point, especially when using sulfate shampoos.

Madora
February 18th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush. Be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb before beginning to brush.

copperlites
February 18th, 2015, 08:08 PM
When I did a honey lightening treatment the other day it made my hair sooo shiny and soft. If you're not i terested in lightening your hair, simply warm up the mixture. I used 1 tablespoon of honey for every 6 tablespoons of water and applied it with a spray bottle, letting it sit for an hour before rinsing it out. :)
Wow Breanna. Your hair is glorious. I love the bun in your avatar. What type of bun is it please? I'm not sure my hair will he Long enough for it, I'm at bra strap length, but I'd love to know how to do it. I've read a bit about honey and I think I will give it a go. I saw a recipe which was 2 tbs honey, one coconut oil and one buttermilk. We have a lot of buttermilk here, it is a by product of my husband's homemade butter.

browneyedsusan
February 18th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Henna fixes my hair right up! Once it's in your hair, henna can't be removed, so the shine stays forever. :)
I want my hair red 'til I'm dead, so henna is a perfect fit!

teddygirl
February 18th, 2015, 09:31 PM
blowdrying on cool makes my hair shiny.

gthlvrmx
February 19th, 2015, 10:09 PM
ACV rinses (I use 1 tbsp of ACV with 1 cup of water) at the end of a wash. I leave the ACV in and it really helps with shine. Baby oil also helps with the shine. Henna does too! I love henna for that!

Rebecka
February 20th, 2015, 04:30 AM
I've noticed that changing the parting a bit can make it look shinier. The hair that is always on top gets a bit dryer, atleast on me, and then i think the other parting can make the hair look more moisturized.

monaaa75
February 20th, 2015, 04:46 AM
kms california free shape hot flex creme + styling with round brush. this stuff is amazing