PDA

View Full Version : Photograph question

Jorja
September 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I hope nobody minds me asking, but I noticed with most of the pictures, they have faces hidden. Is this a coincidence, or an unwritten rule on LHC? I know it's a hair forum and all, and that's where the hair is (down the back) , but it just struck me as unusual lol. Not enough to stop me doing the same of course :p.

I feel a bit silly asking, but I'm just too nosey not to .... :blushing:

Periwinkle
September 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I always thought it was mostly personal preference. There's certainly no rule against it; it's just that some people don't like having their faces all over the internet.

lora410
September 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
It's personal prefrence. I hav eone showign my face on my profile page.:lol:

FrannyG
September 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Its totally personal preference. I kept my face off the internet for a good long time and then I thought, "why"? My face being seen doesn't bother me at all.

For signature photos and avatars, I prefer just hair shots, though. I mean really, what's more important than my hair? :)

arylkin
September 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Its totally personal preference. I kept my face off the internet for a good long time and then I thought, "why"? My face being seen doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah- I think that's the reason, for privacy and whatnot. :)

Chromis
September 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I love my face almost as much as my hair, especially my new glasses...but I don't love being stalked.

jojo
September 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM
its up to the individual, it doesnt bother me but thats just me!

LadyLongLocks
September 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
It was my preference from the start not to show my face on the internet. It was fall of 2004 when I shared my first hair photo. I'm so glad now since my photos get used a lot without my permission. It's about HAIR and even though some people complain that I don't show my face, it's the best decision I ever made. It also makes my significant other feel more comfortable when I post photos. Once in a while I show a glimpse, But they are far away or blurry. So far I have not been recognized,even with my hair down.

WritingPrincess
September 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I, personally, have no problem with my face being online. But my mom does, and so I only show back of my head or three-quarters back. Once in awhile I put a side view in my (private) album. It's completely what you're comfortable with.

burns_erin
September 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Besides trying to show my hair, i just do not feel i am photogenic.

suicides_eve
September 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM
i fear that one sweet day when i become a big movie star , pictures of me with plenty of bad hair days (not to mention my bra strap) will be all over TMZ or Extra. Rather then deal with that scandle later, i hide my precious face so my photos will be worth more down the road and i can only be identified by my unruly locks.:D

heidi w.
September 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
While for most it's personal preference, for some that preference derives from the idea that LHC Mane Forum is a more open area of the website, as compared to MEETS thread or private journals/blogs and the like.

It is pretty easy to lift a photo, a signature or avatar, off of LHC and use it for one's own purposes, up to and potentially including re-posting on other sites. This is considered copyright infringement; however, this site is not necessarily in the habit of checking other sites for such infringements, or so I believe.

I have definitely historically seen photos clipped and pasted elsewhere including forums that are less, shall we say, pleasant than this site. I have alerted those that I knew who they were, if I came across anything.

Copyright infringement law also means that one who has ownership, they have to manage their own culling for infringements. It's no one elses duty to watch for you, per se. There are services, but the costs are prohibitive for this potential situation on LHC.

I cringe even more when I see photos that are posted that include other people who may or may not know their photo is so publically displayed, and most especially at photos of children.

We do have 'lurkers'. Not all lurkers are bad, but there are a select few with motives that you may not be so happy to know about.

I am one who has found my photos in places I didn't consent to or give permission to clip the photo and copy. Most of my photos aren't that graphic in any way. It doesn't overly disturb me nor surprise me anymore to see my photos elsewhere. I used to be VERY concerned about showing my face. I am less so now.

ETA: Other precautions with photos
I allow no photos that show addresses of homes or whereabouts of places I am, whether my whereabouts or fellow LHCers whereabouts
I allow no photos that include accidental inclusion of car plates
No photos that have in the background a street name
No photos showing a park's name, public buildings that may have a city name or county name on it, ... that kind of thing - generally just avoid names of places, bldgs, intersections....
I do not post photos that include other people, even if a fellow LHC person.
No photos that show children, whether I know them or not (such as if in a park and caught a kid in the background)

I additionally personally prefer to avoid photos that include the layout of the interior of my house, somehow. Those I might share somehow much more privately.

heidi w.

wintersun99
September 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
It's because I've watched way too many CSI episodes - :D

Tapioca
September 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have no problem with my face being seen online, but I tend to post pictures of the back of my head because . . . well . . . it's all about the hair, right?

Jeni
September 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I don't photo well, or at least that is what I tell myself when I see a bad picture of me... I suppose it kind of about privacy, never really thought about it before. I think if I had a really good picture of myself I would post it.

Rae~
September 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM
i fear that one sweet day when i become a big movie star , pictures of me with plenty of bad hair days (not to mention my bra strap) will be all over TMZ or Extra. Rather then deal with that scandle later, i hide my precious face so my photos will be worth more down the road and i can only be identified by my unruly locks.:D

:spitting:

AJoifulNoise
September 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
When I made my first ventures online in 1999, I freaked when someone used even my first name. Now, I show my face. But, I try to be vague about where I live.

cuddledumplin
September 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I always show my face, but others hide theirs for privacy. It's strictly your preference.

Nat242
September 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I post pictures of my face in my private album and blog that are only accessible to "friends" or "contacts", who must have my explicit permission. This is so I have some control over who is seeing what, should I start receiving odd emails or PMs. I don't post too many private details about myself in my blog or anything, but I also know how easy it is for a determined person to track someone down through the internet, and even with my caution, I've probably put enough out there to be identified, especially by people that live in the same city as I.

mira-chan
September 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The pictures on the mane forum, or any other part of the forum that is viewable by those not registered can be viewed via google image search. I prefer to post picture which have my face visible, or most pictures for that matter, only in parts that aren't assessable this way. I don't want my google happy students finding me online by accident.

paper
September 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM

hehe :p

Personally, I don't want my face on open forums, but I do show it in my profile. Also, I think showing a picture of the back of my head shows my hair better. :)

truepeacenik
September 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
aw, man, here I thought we did it to show off our mad mirror photo skills!

;P

Speckla
September 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I don't always show my face because great makeup and good hair days never seem to go hand in hand. ;)
________
COSMETIC SURGERY FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/cosmetic-surgery/)

ladyshannonanne
September 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I don't post pictures of my face because I'm so incredibly good looking that people might try to sell the pictures and then I'd have to sue them.

Yah, I'm lying. LOL That was my Zoolander impression.

I don't really think about it. If my face is in the picture, that's fine. But I'm usually taking pictures of the back of my head, so my face just isn't there.

BTW if you do want to see a picture of an incredibly good looking individual, there's a photo of my son in my album. That guy is hot stuff. I'm not biased, or anything . . .

trolleypup
September 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM
LHCers have faces? :misskim:

Dianyla
September 30th, 2008, 11:15 PM
LHCers have faces? :misskim:
:rollin:

Frankly, I've never worried about posting pictures of my own face. Especially since I'm much more recognizable by my hair than by my facial features anyways. :shrug:

trolleypup
September 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
:rollin:

Frankly, I've never worried about posting pictures of my own face. Especially since I'm much more recognizable by my hair than by my facial features anyways. :shrug:
And my face is all over everywhere already, so I'm certainly not worried here!

rubyredslippers
September 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I don't mind putting pictures of my face, but I never put my real name, now. Or the city where I live.

There was one unfortunate incident in grade nine where I let my friend post a quiz I'd filled out to her personal website. You know, a what's your favourite food, who's your crush, have you ever drank alcohol kind of quiz for bored adolescents. Eventually, my parents googled my name to see what would come up and that's what did. Led to some embarassment, I might tell you. I asked my friend to take down the site two years later but she'd forgotten the password. I ended up later having to email the host and having them take it down. I never ended up having any stalking or anything, no professional conflict because of my negative web record. I'm very lucky.

Here on LHC, I'm not too worried. There's nothing to particularly recommend me to a stalker, I'm sure my hair would be too short for the tastes of lurkers herein.

Jorja
October 5th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Thank you all for your honesty! I don't put my picture around either, for mostly the same reasons. I spent ages yesterday though, trying to get a back picture of my hair showing the length, it's so hard! Every time i put the timer on, I sat in the wrong place. Then the batteries dies. Now I have batteries, but my hair is half dry and looks frizzy lol. You all have such gorgeous hair, I'm not putting my picture up until it's half way decent looking.:hmm:

Honey39
October 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I don't want to be identifiable - I have no pictures of me on the web, and I want it to stay that way, lol. I think this is a very warm and supportive site, but all someone has to do is right-click "save picture as", and that's your image out of your control.

Maybe I'm just over-careful, but I prefer to remain unidentifiable in terms of where I live and exactly what I look like. Hmmm. Interesting.

Rosepatrice
October 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM
its up to the individual, it doesnt bother me but thats just me!

So, it that you on your Avatar? LOL!!

Suldrun
October 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I was concerned at first because of stalking issues in the past however someone( arg) just tracked me down without using the internet and really i'ts not hard for me since I have had some of the same friends since 3rd grade. I just gave up and I do have a pic up from a meet.

Also if you look up my "real" name you can find me anyway since I am on the internet for my old business and my new one too.

Anje
October 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Heh, I just figure it's easier to see how my hair looks from the back. I'm not particularly paranoid about showing my face. People who wanted to could figure out who I am anyway.

Angellen
October 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I've gotten my share of harassment in real life, and really, I'd rather avoid it on the internet. I don't show pictures of my face, period. Occasionally there will be a 3/4 behind view, but never full front. I also try not to include much background in the photo, either, to remain as anonymous as possible. My dad is a webdesigner, and I've heard enough from him that I try to be very wary.

twilight_faerie
October 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, most people just don't post their faces because they're afraid of being stalked. I strongly doubt this would ever happen to me, so I don't particularly mind showing my face on the Internet.

Oskimosa
October 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
aw, man, here I thought we did it to show off our mad mirror photo skills!

;P

Hahaha, right, 'cause girls only want boyfriends with skills, like nunchuck skills or computer hacking skills or mirror photo skills.

Yea, for me it's privacy. Now you guys are all scaring me with the whole people taking pictures and using them elsewhere ... :couch:

Think I'll hold off on putting new pix on my albums now.