PDA

View Full Version : Getting layers - Good or bad idea?

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 03:30 AM
I'm bored of my hair, I feel like it needs a trim and a shape
This is what it currently looks like (http://40.media.tumblr.com/87bacc8ba65d04925ce0b0071c43b94d/tumblr_njpog3PBZ31s7ifvdo1_1280.jpg)
I'm debating getting long layers and having the v re shaped and intend to show my hairdresser this picture so she knows exactly what I want (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5f/79/b5/5f79b58687fd4b60043b2483680928ee.jpg) (But I want to keep it as long as possible)
But I'm undecided if it's a good idea, I've not given it 2 weeks to decide, I either do it today or I wait another 4 weeks (lets face it I'm likely to do it or at least get a trim as I'm super impatient)
Should I or shouldn't I?
Should I just ask for the v reshaping and have some face framing layers?

ETA: I've decided to go for it but not as extreme as what's in the picture, spoke to my hairdresser and she knows I'm not sure how I'll deal with layers so she's going to just add a few and keep them fairly long :)
Wish me luck, if I hate it you have the right to tell me 'I told you so' :o

Chromis
February 18th, 2015, 05:32 AM
I am anti-layers for myself. There are lots here who love them. I think it partially depends how much you wear your hair up versus down. Layers stick out all over braids and can be harder to keep corralled in updos, plus your ends are thinner. It is also harder to get exactly what you want and your hair may not lay the same way as the photo, which looks like there is heat styling involved.

You current hair looks amazing!

lapushka
February 18th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I think you should keep your mits off of your hair, that's what I think. ;) You've been bored with your hair, that's apparent from how you're posting, and you're looking for all sorts of stuff to do to your hair. I'm not saying layers are bad (hey, I got 'em) but you've been wanting to cut in bangs, dye it to all hell and beyond, just to *do* something with it.

Try and find updos to do, and get yourself a nice hairtoy instead.

And if you still want layers after that? Then apply the two-week rule. No rash decisions (like you're planning).

Hotrox
February 18th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I really like the style you want to cut, if you aren't enjoying your hair as it is now then you should have it styled in a way that pleases you. Just don't do anything in a rush that you'll regret later.

Also, I think this style will look quite different on your length hair. I imagine it will make it look and feel quite a bit shorter.

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 08:01 AM
I really like the style you want to cut, if you aren't enjoying your hair as it is now then you should have it styled in a way that pleases you. Just don't do anything in a rush that you'll regret later.

Also, I think this style will look quite different on your length hair. I imagine it will make it look and feel quite a bit shorter.

yeah that's why I'm not sure, I really just want the ends a bit less thick and blunt and my hair a bit 'lighter' it's too heavy to do crown braids and things like that comfortably, I know I desperately need a trim as I've found 3 split ends already today and there must be plenty more.
Can you get just the ends layered? or thinned is that what I'm looking for?
I know my hair is just too different a texture to look like the pic I posted, but it's more for layer length and hemline reference than anything else
I can't find one that is close enough to my hair thickness, texture etc.
This is about as close as I can ge (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3c/1c/d3/3c1cd3ee97053b2456208931f4aef4d3.jpg)t to thickness (although her hair is obviously straightened) and I'd hope my hair wouldn't end up quite that short.
I'll talk it through with my hairdresser and make sure she knows I want to keep as much length as possible, if she says it's going to end up shorter than I want then I'll just get a half inch trim/v shape cut back in properly (I loved that when she first did it) and be done with it

Nivine
February 18th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I had layers before (still, but not as bad as they were in the past) The best advice I can give you is to think for the future. If you use hot tools often, wear your hair in a bun or braid or use rollers or any hairdo which requires your hair to be one length.. then please don't get layers.
It can be difficult to keep your hair splitends-free with layers, believe me. It was tough for me and my hair looked badly damaged just because the shorter layers were damaged, it gave bad look to the whole haircut and I had to stick with it for long time waiting for it to grow long so they can be cut away.

Cania
February 18th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Three split ends? I wish I only had three split ends! :laugh:

Waiting two weeks seems like a good idea. I love the cut you linked to but layers are a pain. I love mine (and you can tuck layers into braids to make them look neat) but it makes S&Ds a lot more work.

Crumpet
February 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Having spent two years growing out layers (and I'm still not quite done -- I now look like I have a U-shape hem), I would suggest you think carefully about the decision. It made my hair much thinner. I really noticed the layers in my braids and didn't ever want to wear them due to the heavy taper. My buns have increased substantially in size since growing out layers. Also, its a lot of maintenance to keep them looking nice and split-free. Maintenance means the expense of the cut AND trusting the person cutting your hair.

Some people absolutely love layers. People with heavy, thick hair often like them since they take off some weight and some wavies/curlies like them because they enhance wave and curl patterns (I do miss that a bit). So there is good with the bad.

Think about what you want to do given the information you're given, but it is a fairly big committment.

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Now I'm really unsure, I just hate my hemline and the thickness of the ends...:justy:

Nivine
February 18th, 2015, 08:37 AM
you hate thickness of the ends? girl! you're so lucky to have thick ends!!:doh:

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 09:01 AM
you hate thickness of the ends? girl! you're so lucky to have thick ends!!:doh:
I wish I liked them but something about them I just don't like :shrug: I like faerietale ends too much, even though my hair won't naturally have them

missblueeyes
February 18th, 2015, 09:40 AM
I've always been the one to show my hairdresser (aka mom) pictures of something I want and she did it to my hair. The thing is, hairdos look different on everyone. The woman's hair you posted is much longer than yours so layers will look a lot different in your hair than in hers. Your layers will mostly be around your face, hers are around BSL+, that makes a huge difference! I'd think about it once more. I really like lapushka's approach of getting a new hairtoy instead and waiting some time before you commit.

spidermom
February 18th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Then get long layers! I love the picture you linked; it is similar to how my hair is now. Don't ask for thinning! They do that all through the length, then you would have have thousands of short ends sticking out all over, and they won't be in a pretty shape like long layers will be.

And yup, everybody is right. With layers, you will have shorter ends popping out of buns or braids. So what?

ExpectoPatronum
February 18th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I actually successfully grew out my layers, and then a month later I cut them back in. I wouldn't call what I really have "layers" though as I used the pony tail method to cut them so there isn't a drastic difference in length between my shorter front layers and length.

If you really think you want layers, I say you start with something more subtle. That way if you end up not liking it, it won't be a pain in the arse to grow out.

spidermom
February 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM
By the way, try to find pictures of layered styles that are your current length because MissBlueEyes is right - your hair will not look like your current picture.

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Ok so I showed her this picture (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f4/cf/d3/f4cfd36446dda863ca287ce7447e3628.jpg) and she said it would be shorter at the front, which I prefer and she wouldn't go as short as the shortest layers in the picture and since I'm not sure she's on about only cutting a few in.
I know I should wait but I'm ok with the growing out period and I don't mind messy braids or buns, my hair always looks kind of messy regardless (as it's still somewhat v shaped so it doesn't all lie neat and one length anyway.
I still have a little time to change my mind but honestly I'm so impatient I don't think I can.
Thank you for responding and I'm sorry I've probably been quite annoying, I'm not getting anything incredibly dramatic (or I would give it two weeks)
I'll post a pic after and you can tell me what a terrible (or good) idea it's been :o

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 10:00 AM
By the way, try to find pictures of layered styles that are your current length because MissBlueEyes is right - your hair will not look like your current picture.

I can't seem to find my length, when I showed her this picture (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f4/cf/d3/f4cfd36446dda863ca287ce7447e3628.jpg) she said my hair was plenty long enough :shrug: I'm no good at telling my hair length on others

spidermom
February 18th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I love that picture. Oh, and one more suggestion, if you're longing for a color change, try something like Manic Panic, Punky, other deposit-only brand. They fade out over time; you won't get glaringly obvious roots.

I don't know if I mentioned to you that I agonized over getting layers for at least a year. I probably changed my mind 5 times per day the whole time. I've had my hair layered for over a year now, and I really couldn't be happier.

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I love that picture. Oh, and one more suggestion, if you're longing for a color change, try something like Manic Panic, Punky, other deposit-only brand. They fade out over time; you won't get glaringly obvious roots.

I don't know if I mentioned to you that I agonized over getting layers for at least a year. I probably changed my mind 5 times per day the whole time. I've had my hair layered for over a year now, and I really couldn't be happier.

I'm not sure how manic panic would go over my hair, I'm considering going for either a red to enhance my current colour or dye the ends greeny blue but I don't know if it would even show :shrug:

I think I've read about your layering debate before :) I can understand, I saw the picture today and I so desperately want my hair to look a bit different, I can't stand my hair all one length, for one I need some hair framing my face and I love it when the odd bit slips out of an updo, I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to updos and I embrace the messy look, plus it won't be so heavy when I put it up (crown braids feel like wigs and hats all in one! weighing my head down)

DreamSheep
February 18th, 2015, 10:30 AM
My suggestions:

- Wait before going for it, to check it is something you want and not just a whim you might regret

Then,
PROS
- Allows you to enjoy a trip to the hairdresser (I kind of like that - when I got my V-hem and layers 2 years ago I fancied a trip and didn't want to lose length. Today I do want to grow them out, but I don't hate them)
- Looks really good on slightly wavy (1c and wavier) hair that is thick (apparently, says LHC!)
- Removes weight from hair (always good)
- Creates slightly fairytailed ends which are easy to bun

CONS
- Take time to grow out if you regret it
- Thinner ends means they are easier to damage, and S&Ding all of your hair can be harder
- If you like wearing braids, they will turn into cactuses
- If your hair is on the thinner side and you don't like "see through" ends (which I don't mind actually!), then getting layers and thinning the hemline may not be for you
- You risk the hairdresser doing something you don't want

ETA: Saw you'd gotten them. I hope you love them <3

missblueeyes
February 18th, 2015, 10:32 AM
- If you like wearing braids, they will turn into cactuses

I love this one.
quality post.

endlessly
February 18th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Since I've had so many disastrous haircuts involving layers, I'm against them as well. I have a tendency of cutting my own hair (I just gave myself bangs, regretted it, but am now adjusting and liking them) because I don't trust hairdressers not to mess up. However, I definitely understand the feeling of being bored with your hair and I'm just like you where I'll either have to do it that day or I just won't do it, I never just sit and think about it which I wish I did more often. I could have avoided many mishaps if I would learn to be more patient!

Best of luck!

LongCurlyTress
February 18th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I can totally relate to your wanting to cut in layers, but I am growing out mine from last June and they are such a pain in the arse! And I am just finally getting my heavy thick hemline back. That is why I cut layers back in June due to the heaviness of my hemline mostly all one length, but I guess that is just one of those "too bad--so sad" ;/ things.. I just gotta learn to live with! ;)

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Got it cut, I've not lost much length at the longest point, the layers are still long enough for me to ponytail my hair and do my basic styles the layers seem quite subtle to me, I can't see the back though but once I get a pic I'll post it so you can see how it looked and how it looks now :)

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Before (http://40.media.tumblr.com/87bacc8ba65d04925ce0b0071c43b94d/tumblr_njpog3PBZ31s7ifvdo1_1280.jpg)

After (http://41.media.tumblr.com/5f872af0a523f3e90299ed3903b24ccd/tumblr_njzf9sTQHF1s7ifvdo1_1280.jpg)
Sorry about the poor picture quality, the lighting wasn't on my side but you get the idea

MicheleZ
February 18th, 2015, 12:30 PM
It's a huge difference - your shortest layers are now shoulder length. I was thinking you'd get a subtle U cut - this is a pretty dramatic V cut.

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM
It's a huge difference - your shortest layers are now shoulder length. I was thinking you'd get a subtle U cut - this is a pretty dramatic V cut.

oh I didn't think it was, I guess my perception of dramatic v cuts is based on finer hair than my own (and longer), I had it like this before and it grew out to the before picture (purely out of laziness and wanting my hair longer) thankfully the longest is still roughly where it was before, it's not short I'm upset by it so I know she hasn't taken much off there, I like V cuts :)

MicheleZ
February 18th, 2015, 12:38 PM
That's the most important thing is that you are happy with it. You don't do updos correct? If not, all the different lengths won't be a problem.

aforestfae
February 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM
That's the most important thing is that you are happy with it. You don't do updos correct? If not, all the different lengths won't be a problem.

Not much, I could do a simple bun, french braid or ponytail with it so its not a big deal for me
She did ask if I wanted the shortest layers shorter and I said no, I think that would have been a bad idea, I like how short they are, not too short but not so long I can't leave them out of an updo, the won't look weird if I do leave them out now

MsVenus
February 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I am also anti layers now that I am trying to grow out my hair. I have layers and they make my hemline look horrid.

ositarosita
February 18th, 2015, 12:46 PM
You now have me considering that cut when my hair gets longer ... just more of a U not a big fan of the V ... i love my layers

jeanniet
February 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I hope you're happy with your layers. Generally I would advise someone in your position to try very long layers, in just the last 2-3" of hair. You can always adjust later., and they're easy to grow out . I like my hair layered, and heavily layered at that. Otherwise, it's too heavy and too flat. It's never made a difference to my hemline in terms of thickness, but someone with i or ii hair would probably want to be more cautious.

browneyedsusan
February 19th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I really like your new layers! I had some when my hair was APL --hoping to get what you have now! Unfortunately, I don't have your hairtype or thickness, and it only looked nice when I curl-set it. This fall I trimmed 1 1/2" (1/2 " a month for 3 months) to even the ends up a little.

Some people really like layers, others think they are a giant pain. Different strokes for different folks!

You do what YOU like. You're the one wearing and caring for it. :toast:

Ambrielle
February 19th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I can totally relate to your wanting to cut in layers, but I am growing out mine from last June and they are such a pain in the arse! And I am just finally getting my heavy thick hemline back. That is why I cut layers back in June due to the heaviness of my hemline mostly all one length, but I guess that is just one of those "too bad--so sad" ;/ things.. I just gotta learn to live with! ;)

just wanted to say your hemline looks gorgeous in your avatar! :) i can't wait for my layers to be as long as yours for my hemline look fuller.

Ambrielle
February 19th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Before (http://40.media.tumblr.com/87bacc8ba65d04925ce0b0071c43b94d/tumblr_njpog3PBZ31s7ifvdo1_1280.jpg)

After (http://41.media.tumblr.com/5f872af0a523f3e90299ed3903b24ccd/tumblr_njzf9sTQHF1s7ifvdo1_1280.jpg)
Sorry about the poor picture quality, the lighting wasn't on my side but you get the idea

i am not a fan of layers in general but i have to say they look really good in your hair, they seem subtle, not choppy at all even though your hemline is v shaped. :flower: