PDA

View Full Version : change in volume due to length?

mamaherrera
February 17th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Ok I've never had my hair this long, where it's almost down to my behind, almost. So I have a question. I've noticed lately that my hair doesn't "poof" as much as usual, just in the last month or so. I've not changed any styling stuff, except for my coffee rinses (don't know if that would make a difference) but the "fullness" of my hair comes from my poof, because that's just what my hair does, it's not that much hair, but it's good at poofing. My husband says that because of the length, it's weighed down and can't poof as much. I know there is some value in that, but for you "long-er hair" people that me, does the poof/volume continue to decrease with length or does it get to a point, where it doesn't get flatter?? Because I like my poof (I hated it as a child, but now that I quit brushing, it's a poof that I can tolerate), and I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice volume for length. I just see it flatter, lately.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamaherrera/media/Picture335_zpsca0a00c0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamaherrera/media/Picture87_zps6fb8caf4.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamaherrera/media/Picture357_zps20bab7f6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Anje
February 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Length definitely reduces "poof", but so do other things like buildup. A month seems like a very short time frame for length change to make a difference, which makes me wonder if it's just moisture levels in your hair or perhaps early evidence that you've got some buildup before the tangles start.

mamaherrera
February 17th, 2015, 02:46 PM
As far as moisture, would it mean I need more moisture or less?? I always thought that more moisture, would make it heavier and thus, less poof. And I never do length washes, perhaps I need to do it?? would the coffee rinses have anything to do with it do you think?

schnibbles
February 17th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Not sure where you live or what your weather is like right now. But dewpoints are generally pretty low in colder climates right now. Maybe humidity has something to do with it? (like my house is super dry right now cause the furnace runs constantly...)

mamaherrera
February 17th, 2015, 03:59 PM
perhaps, another good point

mamaherrera
February 17th, 2015, 04:12 PM
My thing is that I don't know if it's dried out: as in needing more moisture (from coffee rinses_) or if it's product buildup (meaning it needs shampoo on the length). If it's dryness, and I shampoo the length, it'll make it worse. When I condition, I always make it feel "seaweedy" like, so it's drenched in conditioner for a few.
My ponytail circumference also went down a super tiny bit, like *I'm guessing) half a cm, but I don't THINK (who knows) that would change the poof that much.

Hootenanny
February 17th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I don't have anything helpful to add in response to your question, but I just wanted to say that your hair looks gorgeous, mamaherrera! Thick, shiny, and beautiful!

mamaherrera
February 17th, 2015, 04:49 PM
thanks so much Hootennanny

Ambrielle
February 17th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I don't have anything helpful to add in response to your question, but I just wanted to say that your hair looks gorgeous, mamaherrera! Thick, shiny, and beautiful!

yep, i was thinking the same, beautiful hair! :)

Robot Ninja
February 17th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Just my personal experience, but when I overmoisturized my hair it lost all its poufiness. A few protein treatments later, and it's poufy again.

Did you notice the loss of ponytail circumference before or after you noticed the loss of volume? Because if it was after, it could just be that your hair is compacting more, and you haven't lost any hair.

Shampooing the length would probably be the easiest thing to try though. You can deep-condition after. It shouldn't be too drying to do it once in a while. Besides, wouldn't dryness make your hair more poufy, not less?

mamaherrera
February 18th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks to all with compliments and to Robot Ninja--you made good points, very good points. I also thought that dryness made it more poofy, so it shouldn't be the coffee. I did shampoo the length today, we'll see after it dries. But my hair is super good at compacting, hopefully you are right and there is no hair loss at all. That would be such a good thing for me. I'm thinking, maybe the coffee rinse is "sealing" the cuticles more, so maybe that is why it is not poofing as much. thanks, I will take that all into consideration.

Mimha
February 18th, 2015, 02:53 AM
Ok I've never had my hair this long, where it's almost down to my behind, almost. So I have a question. I've noticed lately that my hair doesn't "poof" as much as usual, just in the last month or so. I've not changed any styling stuff, except for my coffee rinses (don't know if that would make a difference) but the "fullness" of my hair comes from my poof, because that's just what my hair does, it's not that much hair, but it's good at poofing. My husband says that because of the length, it's weighed down and can't poof as much. I know there is some value in that, but for you "long-er hair" people that me, does the poof/volume continue to decrease with length or does it get to a point, where it doesn't get flatter?? Because I like my poof (I hated it as a child, but now that I quit brushing, it's a poof that I can tolerate), and I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice volume for length. I just see it flatter, lately.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamaherrera/media/Picture335_zpsca0a00c0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamaherrera/media/Picture87_zps6fb8caf4.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamaherrera/media/Picture357_zps20bab7f6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

mamaherrera... :bigeyes: I'm speechless !... HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I HAD NOT SEEN YOUR HAIR BEFORE ???? It is an absolute marvel !! These perfect curls !... This stunning shine !... This nice volume !... This deep color !... :crush: :crush: :crush:
:thudpile:

Lol, sorry : I am an enthusiastic kind of of person^^. I imagine this hair in a few years, twice as long... The car accidents in the streets !!

Mamaherrera, frankly, even if you lose half poofiness of it, it will still be thudworthyly amazing ! And just about the poofiness question, I do lose a lot of poofiness when my hair is oily (or "moistured" any other way). My hair is at its best poofiness when just washed and dry. I suppose it is because sebum is at its minimum, dryness at its maximum, and when it's dry is gets kind of "static electric" which makes it looking much more voluminous than ii. I apply a home-made herbal rinse on it (with ACV in it), but it doesn't seem to affect the poofing effect, though. Which I am very pleased about because my hair can visually reduce to half its volume depending on how dry it is or not, and I would be sad to have to give up my rinse. It adds a lot of shine to my hair and my keratin has never been in such a good shape as now. But since I reached BSL, my waves are getting loser due to the length and weight of hair... and this definitely has an impact on the overall volume. I think it's unavoidable.

mamaherrera
February 18th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks Mimha--you are so sweet and funny!! I needed that! Your hair sounds so much like mine. Mine is always poofy the first day, but as soon as I braid or sleep or put it up, all the "air" goesout and it's what it is. And when you have hair in clumps, and the air goes out, it looks like you very little hair. Especially since I don't brush. Maybe I'm keeping my hair in super good condition or something and with the curls getting loose, and all that. Thanks so much, I appreciate you sharing and building up my confidence. I might try a bit more protein though and just see. I'm always told that because I have M/C hair, I never need protein, but maybe the length, with damage, and such, could use some. Never thought I could overmoisturize, but maybe so!! Thanks all!