PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil smell?

Nivine
February 17th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Hello :)
Well, I can't find organic raw coconut oil where I am, so I make it myself at home. Here's the thing: I don't like it's scent, specially when I leave it for long hours on my hair. was wondering what can I do to change it's scent? for example, adding few drops or essential oils. However, I'm not sure where can I find essential oils over here either.
Can I add one or two drops of fragrance oil (oils used to make eau de toilette/parfum) to a full cup of coconut oil? Thing is, I can easily find such oils over here with no added alcohol or other ingredients.
So, please help me. Would that change coconut oil or make it go bad or harm my hair? Thank you all :)

Nadine <3
February 17th, 2015, 09:42 AM
You MAKE your own coconut oil? Wow, I'm impressed! You could just order some refined coconut oil from amazon for your hair. The refined stuff has no smell so you wouldn't even have to worry about oils. I would not put perfume in your hair, many of them have drying alcohol in them.

Nivine
February 17th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't want to order any products online. Too expensive for me :(
Yes I make it at home :D you can find how to on youtube actually :D not difficult at all!
About the alcohol, those perfume oils are alcohol-free. They sell them without alcohol added to them (trust me, they are alcohol-free) if you want to add alcohol to them, they do it for you. If you just want them as oil, they also sell them that way. That's why I was wondering if I could add just one or two drop :/

Nadine <3
February 17th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't want to order any products online. Too expensive for me :(
Yes I make it at home :D you can find how to on youtube actually :D not difficult at all!
About the alcohol, those perfume oils are alcohol-free. They sell them without alcohol added to them (trust me, they are alcohol-free) if you want to add alcohol to them, they do it for you. If you just want them as oil, they also sell them that way. That's why I was wondering if I could add just one or two drop :/

Oh, well yes as long as they don't have alcohol then you should be perfectly fine :)

Larki
February 17th, 2015, 01:14 PM
There's also monoi coconut oil, which smells like vanilla.

Yozhik
February 17th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I add perfume oils to my hair oils regularly. It's fine. :)

I like lavender, sandalwood, and teatree essential oils, but I also use perfume oil mixes, as well. Have fun experimenting! :flower:

3 Cat Night
February 17th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I bet some fruity essential oils like orange or lime would smell great in coconut oil and would change it's character.

MINAKO
February 17th, 2015, 03:19 PM
i cant stand the raw stuff either to be honest, makes me gag randomly sometimes. im using the refined bottled stuff you find in most asian stores.

ETA: sage kills any smell, i use that in my coffee rinse to not smell like a latte for days.

Nivine
February 18th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the replies :)
So, basically it's ok if I add few drops? That won't change or make the oil go bad or anything?
I asked my mother what she thinks about, for example, adding a drop of cooking vanilla extract or perfume oil to my oil. She said she doesn't know for sure and it might change the oil or prevent it from doing it's job or dry my hair :/

hippie girl
February 18th, 2015, 10:51 AM
I'm not crazy about coconut scent, either.

I think many of the members here do use small amounts of essential oils for scent.
I don't, but know others do. Cooking extract may not be the best choice though.

Over here in the US, most cooking vanilla extract does contain alcohol. I'd be careful with that.

endlessly
February 18th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Since you mentioned the perfume oils are alcohol-free, I'm certain they're quite safe to put into your hair. Like you, I'm also not fond of the scent of coconut oil, so I actually tend not to use it anymore especially since I felt it wasn't doing anything for my hair. But, I must say, I'm extremely impressed you make your own!

gwenalyn
February 18th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Honestly, the easiest thing would be to get the refined stuff. It doesn't have the coconut smell, and should (I think) work just as well.

Edit: typo

AZDesertRose
February 18th, 2015, 05:09 PM
I sometimes put a little bit of rosemary or lavender essential oil in my coconut oil, although I buy the refined stuff that really doesn't smell like much of anything. Rosemary does have the tendency to darken your hair but my hair is already quite dark, so that doesn't matter to me. It might matter to someone who has blonde or lighter red hair, though.

Long story short, if the fragrance oils are alcohol-free, I don't see why you couldn't put them in your coconut oil.