PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Trim Your Split ends?

M.McDonough
February 17th, 2015, 05:18 AM
For me, I only did that once in November (a few months back) since I started growing out my hair 18 months ago. I trimmed my hair without scissors, but with an easy-to-us tool called ''split ender'', you might have heard of it. Now I'm not thinking of trimming my hair. I want to go on until the end of this year because occasional trims might cripple the growth process.

So do you have split ends?
How often do you trim your ends?

Arctic
February 17th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Do you mean how often do you trim in general, perhaps after noticing split ends appearing in the hemline level of your hair. Or do you mean Search and Destroy type of split end snipping?

I trim when needed, at this length (shoulder) I don't have splits (that I am aware of). I love fresh ends though, so my trims are pretty regular (probably every 2 months on avarage, haven't kept log in years anymore).

As for S&D type trimming: I don't. I used to be obssessed with it, leading to an unhealthy relationship with my hair and unhappyness about it (not really split end related, but texture related). Now I refuse to even try it because of that (and like I said, I don't think I have splits now).

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 06:12 AM
I haven't yet found any split ends, but I am willing to rethink my trimming schedule if I do. I don't know that I would ever be able to see a white dot on my hair if I get one.

I went a year between trims for 2013-2014, then snipped 1/2 to 3/4" tops. For 2015 I am planning on no trimming until Dec/Jan, which will make a year and a half between trims.
Once I stopped, hot tools, color and rough handling, I found I only really only need to trim to even up my hemline.

Nique1202
February 17th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Once I get happy with my layers, my plan is to S&D splits and other types of damaged ends every week or two, and only trim when I start feeling more widespread tangles at the ends that aren't solved by an S&D session and a round of clarifying. S&D works best when your hair is long enough to see it yourself, so it depends on your eyesight, but usually around apl/bsl it becomes a thing you can do regularly.

lapushka
February 17th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't put my trust in that "split ender" if I were you. It takes a bit off of each hair, regardless of whether there's a split or not, might as well be trimming your hair. And splits further up the length, it does not catch.

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't put my trust in that "split ender" if I were you. It takes a bit off of each hair, regardless of whether there's a split or not, might as well be trimming your hair. And splits further up the length, it does not catch.

Off topic; I was curious as to what this device was, I've never heard of it.

ETA:I found the info on it, not sure how I feel about it, if OP is happy with the results, then who am I to argue :flower:. I found the spinning blades inside a little bit..... scary, at least as far as my hair was concerned.

mermaid lullaby
February 17th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I trim...only to even up the hemline in July and December if I want to grow my hair out. S&d when I see split ends, even if it's very few of them. Oh! And I use sewing thread scissors.
Yes, going without heat, coloring, and rough handling does help!
I get less split ends because my hair isn't dry because of the heat and chemicals.

Remember to make straight,blunt cuts when you are trimming split ends.

raemarthe
February 17th, 2015, 11:35 AM
In 2013 I started growing my hair out, and over the next year I didn't cut my hair at all and I made a ton of mistakes, causing some set backs in my growth... I ended up having to chop a lot of it off after I realized my hair was super damaged. So this time around I'm going to trim my hair every six months. At least, that's what my goal is, hopefully my hair can go that long aided with S&D. 3 months until my first 2015 trim!

wilderwein
February 17th, 2015, 12:17 PM
My last trim was on May 2014

Agnes Hannah
February 17th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I have been trimming every 3 months for the last six months and take off 0.5 cm. I have no split ends and am at waist

Colochita
February 17th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I trim when I see splits or get a noticeable amount of breakage. That usually winds up being 2-3 times a year, and I take off about an inch each time. I have very kinky-curly hair, and my ends need a huge amount of TLC to stay happy.

Nadine <3
February 17th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Last year I trimmed off all my growth every month and maintained at APL to get rid of layers and damage. This year my hair is doing much better, and while I still have a bit of layering left, it isn't heavy and annoying. It blends pretty well into the rest of my hair. This year I'm only doing S&D and I'm going for a once or twice a month schedule now that I'm not finding many splits. I'm hoping to get through the whole year without trims, just S&D.

TrapperCreekD
February 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Ugh, my hair is riddled with them. For a while last year I was super good about S&Ding, setting aside an hour every couple weeks but then I got busy and there's so much hair and so many splits. I haven't snipped a split in months. :couch: I have been maintaining for a few months but I doubt that's made much of a dent in the splits - luckily they don't seem to be hindering growth retention, though I'm trying to pick up my old S&D schedule.

endlessly
February 17th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I really only use the "search and destroy" method when it comes to trimming my hair unless I'm noticing that my ends are looking a little shaggy and typically, I only do this when I'm extremely bored. If I see a random split end when I'm braiding or styling, then I'll immediately snip it, but I'm pretty fortunate that I rarely have them. More than anything, I'm prone to the little knots that wind up just on one strand...not quite sure what those are from?

Arctic
February 17th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I really only use the "search and destroy" method when it comes to trimming my hair unless I'm noticing that my ends are looking a little shaggy and typically, I only do this when I'm extremely bored. If I see a random split end when I'm braiding or styling, then I'll immediately snip it, but I'm pretty fortunate that I rarely have them. More than anything, I'm prone to the little knots that wind up just on one strand...not quite sure what those are from?

They are called fairy knots. For me, wrong kind of conditioner and dry hair seem to be what makes my hair to fairy knot. I think they are more common on curlies than on people with straight hair.

M.McDonough
February 17th, 2015, 11:02 PM

Which makes it easier because I hate scissors they give me the creeps!! it only takes off 1/4 inch and keeps the length. However, I find the belief that says trimming your hair stimulates the growth, is completely irrational because hair grows from the roots not the ends.

I haven't yet found any split ends, but I am willing to rethink my trimming schedule if I do. I don't know that I would ever be able to see a white dot on my hair if I get one.

I went a year between trims for 2013-2014, then snipped 1/2 to 3/4" tops. For 2015 I am planning on no trimming until Dec/Jan, which will make a year and a half between trims.
Once I stopped, hot tools, color and rough handling, I found I only really only need to trim to even up my hemline.

Not scary. It only takes 1/4 inch. No one will ever notice and your hair will still look the same. :thumbsup:

thatjengirl1
February 18th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Wow I didn't know the split ender was still around, I had one when I was around 15, so like 9 years ago. It didn't seem to do much for me. My hair is very split end prone even though my hair gets amazing care. I S&D about once a month. I have an official trim like once a year. I feel like my routine is working well, Ive recently hit tailbone length 😃

RavennaNight
February 18th, 2015, 05:24 AM
I haven't trimmed in over a year, but I S&D splits biweekly-monthly. At least once a month, and it takes time and patience and searching against white backgrounds. :P

hidetheice
February 18th, 2015, 05:28 AM
My hair is damaged and I have tons of split ends. I keep a pair of hair scissors in my car and trim a few pretty much daily. I always have plenty =(

M.McDonough
February 18th, 2015, 05:50 AM
I don't know, guys, but trimming more often sounds like a nerve-racking task especially with scissors! even S&D. Besides, this might lead to apathy...

gwenalyn
February 18th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I get a trim as soon as my fingers start catching on the ends when I fingercomb. This used to mean once every 3 months, but when I added coconut oil to my routine it went to 5 months (yay!). Then I tried protective braids and I had to trim every 3 months again. So I stopped, and after this next trim I'm hoping to move back to 5 months, but I'm not too fussed because I'm trying to trim away my layers as well so more trims = fewer layers, sooner! Once my layers are gone I might try S&D-ing. It sounds time-consuming and tedious, but I figure I should try at least once. I don't have masses and masses of hair to deal with, and when I do look (half-heartedly) for split ends I rarely find any, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I also have bleach and perm damage, so chances are once the perm is grown out I will need to trim even less. I will never not have bleach damage though, I love bright purple hair too much to give it up!

Sharysa
February 18th, 2015, 02:21 PM
1) Yes, I get dozens of split ends thanks to my waves.

2) I trim to maintain my U-hemline every month, on the new moon. I also search-and-destroy my split ends after reshaping my hemline.

frostedeyes
March 6th, 2019, 06:36 PM
I trim my split ends every 7-11 months. I might stretch it out longer this time because I’ve been taking really good care of it.

Ylva
March 6th, 2019, 09:59 PM
I get a microtrim or a proper trim (lately it's been a bit of both with me wanting to get rid of old chemical damage) every 6 weeks or so. I no longer S&D. I feel happier with regular trims instead.

frostedeyes
March 9th, 2019, 10:01 AM
YLVA

Do you lose length trimming every six weeks? How much do you typically cut off?

Ylva
March 9th, 2019, 12:05 PM
YLVA

Do you lose length trimming every six weeks? How much do you typically cut off?

I'm not exactly sure how much is cut off, because my hairdresser does it. Last time I had a microtrim I requested that she take around half of my regrowth off, but she took way less. She referred to it as "evening out the ends" (I don't think hairdressers are too familiar with the concept of microtrimming per se), so I'm guessing it was some millimetres that came off. So overall, I keep gaining length. Also, it's worth noting that I have a lot of old chemical damage in my ends, so that's why my request of around half my growth is a bit liberal. One could get away with much less, if there's not so much damage there.

amiraaah
March 9th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Although i take good care of my hair, I microtrim every month or every other month.

cestlavie
March 10th, 2019, 07:11 AM
I get a 1-2 cm trim every 6 months. This happened twice, before that I trimmed my ends every 4-5 months but I feel my hair is healthy enough to skip another 1-2 months.

Natalia_A00
March 10th, 2019, 07:49 AM
I S&D quite often, and I go to the hairdresser for a trim (I'm not brave enough to cut my whole hair) every 5 months or so

esfand
March 10th, 2019, 11:28 AM
I used to microtrim monthly. I barely get split ends anymore, and I think it's because I stopped dyeing my hair. Probably not for everyone but my biggest steps in not needing to trim were:

1. avoid coloring or processing hair
2. Avoid heat styling
3. less manipulation or teasing of the hair
4. use hair masks for preventative measures, especially Olaplex. I use Ion Absolute Perfection, which is supposedly similar to Olaplex (though of course not 100% identical), that I got from Sally's.

So pretty much not doing anything to the hair besides washing/conditioning and using hair masks.

Dark40
March 10th, 2019, 05:48 PM
I do dustings every 4 months, and with that I only take off less than a cm. My hair is 2 inches below WL, and I have no split ends.

milosmomma
March 10th, 2019, 06:57 PM
I think I will always have split ends. When I had hip length heavily damaged hair I could s&d for hours straight and still be riddled with splits. Basically every strand was split/bent/dots. Now with bsl+ virgin hair I have far fewer splits but they're are still present. Most where mechanical damage occurs, at the nape from rubbing on collars/hoodies, around my face and basically all the hairs on the outside perimeter around my hairline if that makes sense.
I s&d a few times a week, mostly for relaxing therapeutic down time to myself. Like how someone would step outside and have a cigarette alone, or a cup tea/coffee for a moment of peace, that's how I tread s&d. They are harder to find for sure but after a 20 minute session I would say it's less than 50 that I find.
As far as trimming, that has been happening far less since being completely virgin. From trimming every 2-3 months when damaged, now I can get away with once every 6ish months and my ends are still in alright condition after so long. I have a feeling the longer it gets and the older those ends are I may have to think about more frequent trims to keep them tidy and healthy. I like the look of fairytale ends but I'm not sure if I cant keep them healthy looking without trims. I will play it by eye as I grow along.

Begemot
March 11th, 2019, 11:43 AM
I S&D once or twice a week, sometimes more often and sometimes less. Right now I'm seeing if I can trim every six months or if I should trim a little more often.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I usually trim twice a year every six months. Perhaps if I cut back to once a year trims, I will subconsciously take better care of my hair knowing I have to go a whole year with those same ends.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 01:59 PM
I've been s&ding about once a week, but I think I might try stopping for a while, and see what happens. I wonder if split ends are really that bad though, I mean, what is wrong with a hair turning into a thinner ended naturally tapered piece of hair, which is what theoretically a split can become. Some splits, such as multi split hairs would still be worth trimming though.

Edit - as for the split ender tool, I think you are only supposed to use that about every 3 months, based on what I've heard of it. I personally would be afraid if it though =).